American Truck Simulator Rolls Out

Big Ben, this here's Rubber Duck, and I'm about to put the hammer down. Steam News announces the Windows, OS X, and Linux editions of American Truck Simulator are now rolling out, offering the chance to be a mean mother trucker in the U.S. of A. This post says things are going well so far: "The launch process was even smoother than we had hoped, so we are happy to announce that American Truck Simulator keys will now activate the game, and that it has become visible and ready for purchase on Steam." Here's a description:
Experience legendary American trucks and deliver various cargoes across sunny California and sandy Nevada. American Truck Simulator takes you on a journey through the breathtaking landscapes and widely recognized landmarks around the States.
View : : :
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out
Feb 3, 2016, 10:18
Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 3, 2016, 10:18
Feb 3, 2016, 10:18

jdreyer wrote on Feb 3, 2016, 01:56:
Total-Khaos wrote on Feb 2, 2016, 22:01:
It only takes about 10-15 minutes to get from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. The map scale seems largely out of whack considering California and Nevada are the 3rd and 7th largest states by area. Can you imagine a trip to Rhode Island? If you're not careful, you'll sneeze and blow right through the entire damn state.

I hear what you're saying, but in RL that's a 4+ hour drive. You really want to spend you're entire night driving one route? 15M seems pretty reasonable.

Not if that's essentially the entire length of the map, though... There are drives in ETS2 that take 1.5 to 2 hours. Maybe not everybody's cup of tea, but there are plenty of people who like and want that. It sounds as if that's just plain not possible in ATS.

Feb 3, 2016, 07:49
Quboid

Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 3, 2016, 07:49
Feb 3, 2016, 07:49
 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Feb 3, 2016, 01:56:
It only takes about 10-15 minutes to get from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. The map scale seems largely out of whack considering California and Nevada are the 3rd and 7th largest states by area. Can you imagine a trip to Rhode Island? If you're not careful, you'll sneeze and blow right through the entire damn state.

I hear what you're saying, but in RL that's a 4+ hour drive. You really want to spend you're entire night driving one route? 15M seems pretty reasonable.

ETS2's map and clock is scaled 15:1 so it sounds like ATS is about the same. That worked well for Europe, but California and Nevada combined are little larger than France. Even with the free Arizona addon, this is going to be a small map.

I guess I know why it's relatively cheap now.

Feb 3, 2016, 07:16
Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 3, 2016, 07:16
Feb 3, 2016, 07:16

They added Oculus DK2 support on launch.

Any company doing that surely gets my vote, and I know there's not a lot of content, but $20 isn't a whole lot of cash, either, so I figure it breaks even.

Feb 3, 2016, 07:03
Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 3, 2016, 07:03
Feb 3, 2016, 07:03

Yes there are only 2 trucks but they are good trucks. When you consider all the engine/chassis/transmission/ect you can change on those trucks its a lot to play with. I have also found that it's a lot more challenging than ETS2. The size of the truck and those 53ft trailers you have to be on your game or you will hose things up fast.

Feb 3, 2016, 03:33
Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 3, 2016, 03:33
Feb 3, 2016, 03:33

I happily bought this game when it came out yesterday. Unfortunately I will not be able to play it for the next few weeks. :/
In fact I don't know when I'll be able to play at all.

Two states and two trucks? Didn't know that. On the other hand I don't mind at all. There will probably be more trucks in the future and two states seem reasonable.

Also I like the sound of the scaling of the maps.

Feb 3, 2016, 01:56
Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 3, 2016, 01:56
Feb 3, 2016, 01:56

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Feb 3, 2016, 01:50
Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 3, 2016, 01:50
Feb 3, 2016, 01:50

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 3, 2016, 01:24:
What kind of scale would you guys want? If it takes 4 1/2 hours to really drive that distance, do you want it to take an hour in-game? Just curious.
I'd argue not.

Feb 3, 2016, 01:24
Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 3, 2016, 01:24
Feb 3, 2016, 01:24

Well, LA to LV really isn't that far even in real life. If that's the benchmark then the map in-game is about 1/20th scale.

What kind of scale would you guys want? If it takes 4 1/2 hours to really drive that distance, do you want it to take an hour in-game? Just curious.

Feb 3, 2016, 00:11
Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 3, 2016, 00:11
Feb 3, 2016, 00:11

I was looking forward to this game, but I think I'll wait a little longer. It's not like I have a shortage on games I haven't played yet anyway.

Feb 2, 2016, 22:06
Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 2, 2016, 22:06
Feb 2, 2016, 22:06

I read Steam reviews that stated the scale was poorly done. But it's really that bad?! Woah, it's unlike SCS to drop the ball like that.

Feb 2, 2016, 22:03
Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 2, 2016, 22:03
Feb 2, 2016, 22:03

They should partner with Frontier for the eventual in-atmosphere populated planet gameplay expansion for Elite.

It's kind of the same game but without pew pew pew. ETS2 is so awesome and content rich I think I can afford to wait and see on ATS.

Feb 2, 2016, 22:01
Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 2, 2016, 22:01
Feb 2, 2016, 22:01

walrus1 wrote on Feb 2, 2016, 21:37:
Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2016, 20:44:
While the general consensus is that it's good and looking nicer than ETS2 there also seems to be a good deal of disappointment in being limited to 2 trucks and just Cali and Nevada. From what I've been reading most people seem to be equating to a good DLC rather than a complete game. I know SCS says they'll be expanding on it but that'll obviously be paid content.
There is going to be free content with at least two trucks and one state in it. SCS gave away all the added trucks for free in ETS2. I think this trend will continue with ATS at least for awhile. The real question is the states. I'm worried at how quiet they've been about their release plans. If they are going to charge ETS2 prices getting through the lower 48 will be far too expensive. I just really hope that they don't add micro-transactions out the ass as in one state per purchase.

I'm really torn about whether or not to pick up ATS. On one hand I loved ETS2 and pretty much played it to death. On the other hand a trucking game with only 2 trucks rubs me the wrong way. Could you imagine people defending a racing game with only 2 cars in it and the promise of more coming soon? I know SCS will make good on that but I don't understand why they didn't delay the release to put more trucks in it. Unless the licensing situation is worse then they're letting on. I fear there is a slight possibility we will only get two brands of truck in the game.

Plus if I'll never be able to afford to drive cross-country some of the appeal of it is gone.

Feb 2, 2016, 21:37
Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 2, 2016, 21:37
Feb 2, 2016, 21:37

Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2016, 20:44:
While the general consensus is that it's good and looking nicer than ETS2 there also seems to be a good deal of disappointment in being limited to 2 trucks and just Cali and Nevada. From what I've been reading most people seem to be equating to a good DLC rather than a complete game. I know SCS says they'll be expanding on it but that'll obviously be paid content.
There is going to be free content with at least two trucks and one state in it. SCS gave away all the added trucks for free in ETS2. I think this trend will continue with ATS at least for awhile. The real question is the states. I'm worried at how quiet they've been about their release plans. If they are going to charge ETS2 prices getting through the lower 48 will be far too expensive. I just really hope that they don't add micro-transactions out the ass as in one state per purchase.

I'm really torn about whether or not to pick up ATS. On one hand I loved ETS2 and pretty much played it to death. On the other hand a trucking game with only 2 trucks rubs me the wrong way. Could you imagine people defending a racing game with only 2 cars in it and the promise of more coming soon? I know SCS will make good on that but I don't understand why they didn't delay the release to put more trucks in it. Unless the licensing situation is worse then they're letting on. I fear there is a slight possibility we will only get two brands of truck in the game.

Plus if I'll never be able to afford to drive cross-country some of the appeal of it is gone.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2016, 21:49.

Feb 2, 2016, 20:44
Cutter

Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 2, 2016, 20:44
 Cutter

While the general consensus is that it's good and looking nicer than ETS2 there also seems to be a good deal of disappointment in being limited to 2 trucks and just Cali and Nevada. From what I've been reading most people seem to be equating to a good DLC rather than a complete game. I know SCS says they'll be expanding on it but that'll obviously be paid content. My major disappointment is once again they're staying away from weather - snow in particular - and seasons, which is why it appears to be Southwest American Ttuck Simulator more than anything else. I'd really like to be able to drive through New England in the winter.
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Re: American Truck Simulator Rolls Out Feb 2, 2016, 20:44

Peeps on steam are bitchin about this because for twenty bucks they get 2 states and 2 trucks to use...Really? For 20 bucks that sounds about right to me...It isnt a AAA title after all...jeeze...kids these days just expect too much...
I love Fortnite..keeps thy little kids out of thy good games...
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older