Over 1M Blade & Soul Players

NCSOFT West announces that Blade & Soul has already attracted more than one million players since the western launch of this MMORPG under a week ago. Here's the news:
Within days of its official launch in Europe and North America, NCSOFT ® West’s highly anticipated MMORPG, Blade & Soul®, has reached a milestone of more than one million people playing the game.

“At NCSOFT, we are committed to providing our players an extraordinary experience across all of our games,” said Dr. Songyee Yoon, CEO of NCSOFT West. “It is thrilling that so many people are excited about the arrival of Blade & Soul in the West, and we will continue to work tirelessly to make sure our amazing players have a great time in this epic game.”

After achieving massive success in Korea and China, Blade & Soul was released on 19th January, 2016 in the West, bringing a surge of players online to experience the epic story of revenge and innovative combat system of this free-to-play game. In the coming months, players can expect a regular cadence of content updates and patches to further enhance gameplay and the overall Blade & Soul experience.

“The sheer enthusiasm – not to mention volume – of North American and European players that have jumped into Blade & Soul since launch has been tremendous,” said John Burns, Senior Vice President of Publishing at NCSOFT West. “Blade & Soul is one of the most exciting games for Western players in 2016.”

To enter the world of Blade & Soul, players simply need a free NCSOFT Account and to download the game client here: http://www.bladeandsoul.com/uk/download/ .
View : : :
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players
Jan 26, 2016, 19:10
Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 26, 2016, 19:10
Jan 26, 2016, 19:10

Man, i'd kill for a UO or AC1 Darktide remade in a modern engine today.

MMO's went to hell as soon as WOW came, the genre just turned into a steaming pile of carebear trash. Goodbye meaningful consequences & adrenaline rush, hello grind grind grind.

I've given up on MMO's now, they are all pretty much the same crap in a different skin.

I'm actually enjoying battle royal in h1z1 quite a bit, even with all it's flaws (there's a lot) it's actually brought back some excitement and competitiveness that's been missing from games lately.

Jan 26, 2016, 16:36
Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 26, 2016, 16:36
Jan 26, 2016, 16:36

Frijoles wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 10:14:
InBlack wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 02:33:
Perma-death in combination with exciting gameplay mechanics.

I'd never play an MMO with permadeath. Too many fuckwads out there who's only goal is to kill me (even if I only PVE). Unless getting to max level and decent equipment is fairly easy, such as with D3.

Yes getting decent equipment and leveling should be fairly easy, but not a complete cakewalk. Additionally guild houses, or banks could provide some sort of storage facility where you can unload and store some more valuable goods and money which you could use potentially with another character.
I have a nifty blue line!

Jan 26, 2016, 10:17
Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 26, 2016, 10:17
Jan 26, 2016, 10:17

Frijoles wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 10:14:
I'd be okay going back to losing a level, although that'd kill raiding.

I remember that kind of thing happening in FFXI during raids. People dying a few times, and deleveling out of their fancy rare/ex armor and weapons. Pretty funny to see the raid boss running around naked in the middle of the group.
Kittens!

Jan 26, 2016, 10:14
Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 26, 2016, 10:14
Jan 26, 2016, 10:14

Perma-death in combination with exciting gameplay mechanics.

I'd never play an MMO with permadeath. Too many fuckwads out there who's only goal is to kill me (even if I only PVE). Unless getting to max level and decent equipment is fairly easy, such as with D3. I'd be okay going back to losing a level, although that'd kill raiding.

Jan 26, 2016, 09:30
Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 26, 2016, 09:30
Jan 26, 2016, 09:30

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 21:00:
It's certainly boring as shit 99% of the time but Guild Wars 2 definitely made some effort in minimizing the grind to cap by providing multiple avenues in order to do so.

You could actually level to max in GW2 just via crafting. I did it with several alts and it was easy and fun. GW2 was probably the most fun I had leveling in an MMORPG, but it had almost no endgame.

FFXIV is also pretty good - but I had played so many MMORPGs by the time I started it that I was a bit burned out.
Kittens!

Jan 26, 2016, 08:52
Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 26, 2016, 08:52
Jan 26, 2016, 08:52

Don't know where it is in development, but the MMO Crowfall on Kickstarter looked promising. Not sure you'd call it an RPG though. Felt more like an MMO Arena or something. Didn't have the money to back it at the time sadly but also I'm leery about backing most games nowadays. Especially something like an MMO.

Jan 26, 2016, 07:39
Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 26, 2016, 07:39
Jan 26, 2016, 07:39

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 20:12:
I'm over here wondering what a new MMO could do to totally shake up the industry and captivate people like how we first felt.

Not going to happen. That "first feeling" is unique to a generation of people who grow up to that kind of game. The feelings of excitement you get all depends on where you are born into gaming history and what games you first experienced.

Just like I'm not going to relive my experience the first time I played super mario world on the SNES.

As someone who grew up from the near the very beginning of videogames, I was never impressed with MMO's because I knew they were DRM'd multiplayer RPG's. RPG's in general are too much of a niche genre for the casual mmo player who is very bad at videogames. The reason why MMO's suck is because of the audience itself. Videogame developers know the average gamer just sucks hardcore at videogames generally regardless of genre. This is why the trend to dumb down games got stronger from post 2000 onward.

MMO's generally are the ultimate reflection of the dumbing down of videogames.

Jan 26, 2016, 07:05
Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 26, 2016, 07:05
Jan 26, 2016, 07:05

The ironic thing is that MMOs existed which had the perfect formula, both as actual MMOs and earlier as MUDs, or Multi User Dungeons. Yes this was back in the 90s...again. Some of you younger folks may not remember them, but they were glorious. The gameplay and leveling system was fun and unparalleled, however a person was responsible for his own avatar, and death was usually permanent for each character you created. This is how you create an exciting and "meaningful" world.

Perma-death in combination with exciting gameplay mechanics. Some noob areas where people can be relatively safe. Not too high level caps so that people can actually reach the "end game" before inevetabely dying. Meaningful rewards for high level players for helping out with questing with low level players, essentially teaching them the game on the way and helping to keep them alive. Huge rewards for your faction for risking your neck in raids or PvP so that people don't end up care bearing all day long in towns.

Basically you take today's "new" (what a joke) survival games, and mix em up with some Ultima Online, or LOTR Mud, or WOT MUD or similar...

This is the kind of MMO that I would go back to. Publishers have such an aversion to creating anything that isn't accessible or "easy" (read dumbed as fuck down) so fat chance of that ever happening. Well there are always indies, so maybe we should watch that space...

It wouldn't even have to be perma death. Death with meaningful consequences would be fun but this current gen of MMO players just don't seem interested in that.

In the modern MMO, it doesn't matter what shit you do or how bad you mess up, you're moving forward anyway.

Jan 26, 2016, 05:08
Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 26, 2016, 05:08
Jan 26, 2016, 05:08

I'm skeptical about the numbers.

Jan 26, 2016, 02:33
Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 26, 2016, 02:33
Jan 26, 2016, 02:33

The ironic thing is that MMOs existed which had the perfect formula, both as actual MMOs and earlier as MUDs, or Multi User Dungeons. Yes this was back in the 90s...again. Some of you younger folks may not remember them, but they were glorious. The gameplay and leveling system was fun and unparalleled, however a person was responsible for his own avatar, and death was usually permanent for each character you created. This is how you create an exciting and "meaningful" world.

Perma-death in combination with exciting gameplay mechanics. Some noob areas where people can be relatively safe. Not too high level caps so that people can actually reach the "end game" before inevetabely dying. Meaningful rewards for high level players for helping out with questing with low level players, essentially teaching them the game on the way and helping to keep them alive. Huge rewards for your faction for risking your neck in raids or PvP so that people don't end up care bearing all day long in towns.

Basically you take today's "new" (what a joke) survival games, and mix em up with some Ultima Online, or LOTR Mud, or WOT MUD or similar...

This is the kind of MMO that I would go back to. Publishers have such an aversion to creating anything that isn't accessible or "easy" (read dumbed as fuck down) so fat chance of that ever happening. Well there are always indies, so maybe we should watch that space...

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2016, 02:59.
I have a nifty blue line!

Jan 25, 2016, 23:12
Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 25, 2016, 23:12
Jan 25, 2016, 23:12

Same routine, different game. People download and play the game hoping that it's the mmorpg that takes the genre to the next level (no pun), only to be disappointed when they realize that it's the same ol' same ol' with a different skin. The mmorpg genre is pretty much dead for the west (meaning most western devs aren't taking a chance with this genre anymore), and the east just continues to stick to the same grind, grind, grind Asian OCD formula. 1 million subscriptions to 100,000 active subscriptions in a month. You'll see. Same routine.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2016, 01:54.
"I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, ‘Where's the self-help section?’ She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose." - George Carlin

Jan 25, 2016, 23:03
NKD
Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 25, 2016, 23:03
Jan 25, 2016, 23:03
NKD

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 20:30:
I'm over here wondering what a new MMO could do to totally shake up the industry and captivate people like how we first felt.

I had hopes for EQ Next, but apparently that game is vaporware?

A huge Cyberpunk game, easily accessible like WoW, fun like Wildstar, leveling like GW2, and world events like Rift.

Or not follow the same shitty leveling system that every game does.... They're all clones.

Yep... CCP was doing World of Darkness MMORPG, which would have been more of a PvP-centric political game, but they couldn't get their shit together long enough to ship it. Since that was cancelled, there just aren't any MMOs worth mentioning in the works.

It's entirely Korean imports or shitty Kickstarter fodder that will never work because they've underestimated how expensive MMOs are to make.
"Fuck off, bard." -Geralt of Rivia

Jan 25, 2016, 21:00
Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 25, 2016, 21:00
Jan 25, 2016, 21:00

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jan 25, 2016, 20:30:
Or not follow the same shitty leveling system that every game does.... They're all clones.

They stick to it because it's a proven formula. It's certainly boring as shit 99% of the time but Guild Wars 2 definitely made some effort in minimizing the grind to cap by providing multiple avenues in order to do so.

Otherwise, what would they replace it with? A gear-based treadmill which essentially functions as another grind? Give every one every thing and let skill cap dictate what they should do? Become the one millionth visitor to an Inn?

Either way, this game looks like shit.

Jan 25, 2016, 20:30
Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 25, 2016, 20:30
Jan 25, 2016, 20:30

A huge Cyberpunk game, easily accessible like WoW, fun like Wildstar, leveling like GW2, and world events like Rift.

Jan 25, 2016, 20:12
Re: Over 1M Blade & Soul Players Jan 25, 2016, 20:12
Jan 25, 2016, 20:12

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older