Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

XCOM 2 Mods with Launch

The XCOM website has word that Firaxis Games and 2K are supporting the launch of "multiple mods" to accompany the launch of XCOM 2 on February 5th (thanks yifes). They also plan to show off more of the mods and their mod tools next week at PAX South. Here are the details:

We are happy to announce Long War Studios, the developers behind the Long War total-conversion mod for XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM: Enemy Within, has partnered with Firaxis Games and 2K for XCOM 2.

The Long War Studios team, which is comprised of John Lumpkin, Rachel “Amineri” Norman and James “JCLewis” Karlson, is currently hard at work on multiple mods for XCOM 2. These mods are currently slated to be available at launch on February 5, 2016. We’ll have more information about the content of these mods soon.

Going to PAX South? Don’t miss the Firaxis Megapanel on Saturday, January 30th at 12:30pm CT (10:30am PT/1:30pm ET) for EXCLUSIVE live gameplay of XCOM 2, as well as information on the mod tools from the developers and Long War Studios’ John Lumpkin. Not at PAX South? You can watch the panel LIVE at http://twitch.tv/pax.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: XCOM 2 Mods with Launch Jan 23, 2016, 06:56 SunnyD

Simon Says wrote on Jan 23, 2016, 01:49:
Try to mod Master of Orion 2 for example, tell me how it goes, now this game is a PITA to mod.

Wierd timing, this mention of MoO2 on blues news by you foo's, what with me still in the grip of a so far 3-day jag of UniTol - DemoLith - CreTol'n my way to fame and fortune. Or Carpal Tunnel. I'm starting to get a sense of which I'll get first, and unfortunately, it don't feel like fame.

Thank $Deity for GoG. MoO2 was one of those good old games that I'd missed back in the day. All those years I could've been playing.. what a crime. Gonna go back and kick my own ass if/when we get the whole time-travel thing sorted.

~Finis~

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: XCOM 2 Mods with Launch Jan 23, 2016, 01:49 Simon Says

Creston wrote on Jan 22, 2016, 15:59:
That is sweeeeeeeet. I'm glad they're supporting mods this time around, they were a giant PITA to get running on the previous Xcom.

Giant PITA? I modded my own game alone with only a few google searches to get me started and notepad++. I hardly call this a PITA. Compared to many games, this is modding friendly.

Try to mod Master of Orion 2 for example, tell me how it goes, now this game is a PITA to mod.

12. Re: XCOM 2 Mods with Launch Jan 22, 2016, 15:59 Creston

That is sweeeeeeeet. I'm glad they're supporting mods this time around, they were a giant PITA to get running on the previous Xcom.  

11. Re: XCOM 2 Mods with Launch Jan 22, 2016, 09:14 Dev

That's awesome that the long war mod authors will finally get some money after all their awesome hardwork. At least I'm guessing that this announcement means a monetary agreement.  

10. Re: XCOM 2 Mods with Launch Jan 22, 2016, 09:07 harlock

InBlack wrote on Jan 22, 2016, 02:42:
I hope this time around there is a more strategic element to the base management part of the game, as that was pretty shallow in the last game. Damn...to (pre)order or not to pre order...

base management is almost a bit more simplified, but the global map game is expanded, iirc

9. Re: XCOM 2 Mods with Launch Jan 22, 2016, 07:49 peteham

I'm sure the base game will be great, but provided the modding community picks it up, it could have Skyrim-levels of longevity. Looking at the SDK details, this could really be one for the ages. Visual studio shell app, Unreal editor, and 50GB of assets, to name a couple of things. I hope it does well for them, and that we get an official expansion or ten too, if the quality is up to EU/EW levels

I don't really get hyped for new games like I used to a decade ago, but this game has me totally fanboying out. 500+ hours in EU/EW and LongWar (mostly the latter) may have something to do with it... Considering taking release day off for the first time in forever.

8. No subject Jan 22, 2016, 03:45 Mashiki Amiketo

InBlack wrote on Jan 22, 2016, 02:42:
Is it region locked? Yeah might be a stupid question for a single player game but I don't want to buy a key that won't end up working on Steam because Im from Europe.

GMG copies are either NA or NA/EU or worldwide copies, most of the time worldwide copies.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7. Re: XCOM 2 Mods with Launch Jan 22, 2016, 02:42 InBlack

GinRummy wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 23:52:
Grokk wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 23:28:
I'll definitely grab a copy of X-COM2, but most likely it'll be when it goes on sale.

I think it's still 25% off on Greenman gaming for a Steam key. I got mine there. Probably not gonna see a better discount on it for a pretty good while.

Is it region locked? Yeah might be a stupid question for a single player game but I don't want to buy a key that won't end up working on Steam because Im from Europe.

MOD support from the get-go? Shiiit. In the last game playing on Iron Man, was some of the most fun Ive had on the PC with a single player game in the last decade. I almost never, ever pre-order games but this is tempting as fuck. I hope this time around there is a more strategic element to the base management part of the game, as that was pretty shallow in the last game. Damn...to (pre)order or not to pre order...

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: XCOM 2 Mods with Launch Jan 21, 2016, 23:52 GinRummy

Grokk wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 23:28:
I'll definitely grab a copy of X-COM2, but most likely it'll be when it goes on sale.

I think it's still 25% off on Greenman gaming for a Steam key. I got mine there. Probably not gonna see a better discount on it for a pretty good while.

5. Re: XCOM 2 Mods with Launch Jan 21, 2016, 23:28 Grokk

I'm currently banging away trying to get through the EW campaign in normal mode. I haven't even had a chance to start a game with the Long War mod.

At two weeks until release, I'm not going to be even close to finishing.

4. Re: XCOM 2 Mods with Launch Jan 21, 2016, 21:27 Pigeon

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 21:13:
Wetworks24 wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 18:56:
I already pre-ordered my copy. From watching all the gameplay videos this is a pretty safe bet if you were a fan of Enemy Unknown. Day 1 mod support is just icing on the cake.

Well, based off the last game and expansion, the vanilla game will be pretty to very good, and the Long War mod will probably make it amazing. It's not really surprising that they brought the Long War guys in like this, they really added a lot to EU/EW, plus the Firaxis guys talked up the Long War mod quite a bit the past year or two.

Currently playing the Long War mod and it pretty much hits all the things I thought would make the game better. Awesome news those guys are already working on mods for XCOM2.

3. Re: XCOM 2 Mods with Launch Jan 21, 2016, 21:13 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wetworks24 wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 18:56:
I already pre-ordered my copy. From watching all the gameplay videos this is a pretty safe bet if you were a fan of Enemy Unknown. Day 1 mod support is just icing on the cake.

Well, based off the last game and expansion, the vanilla game will be pretty to very good, and the Long War mod will probably make it amazing. It's not really surprising that they brought the Long War guys in like this, they really added a lot to EU/EW, plus the Firaxis guys talked up the Long War mod quite a bit the past year or two.

2. Re: XCOM 2 Mods with Launch Jan 21, 2016, 19:59 harlock

i like how they are trying to move it forward. the last one was way way too basic, even more basic than the original xcom IMHO  

1. Re: XCOM 2 Mods with Launch Jan 21, 2016, 18:56 Wetworks24

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo