Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M

Frontier Developments announces Elite: Dangerous has sold 1.4 million copies just over a year since launch of the space combat sequel. The announcement has more on the success of this release:

Frontier Developments plc (AIM: FDEV) today announced it has sold 1.4 million units of Elite Dangerous across PC, Mac and Xbox One.

Elite Dangerous launched for PC in December 2014 following a successful crowdfunding campaign. Mac and Xbox One releases followed in May and October of 2015, and regular gameplay updates were released throughout the year.

Elite Dangerous has been a flagship title for virtual reality since its first alpha test in December 2013, and in December 2015 Elite Dangerous became the first triple A game to offer full native SteamVR support.

“We have an amazing player community,” Frontier CEO David Braben said. “The average play time among our 1.4 million players is 60 hours – that’s a massive 84 million player hours and counting.

With the community’s feedback, we’re constantly making Elite Dangerous better than ever. We have incredible long-term ambition and we will continue to deliver on those ambitions. We will detail more exciting developments for Horizons very soon.”

Today Elite Dangerous is heading into its second year with the Elite Dangerous: Horizons season pass granting access to major gameplay expansions including Planetary Landings, ship-launched fighters, Multicrew cooperative play and more.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons is available for all existing Elite Dangerous players for £29.99 ($44.99, €40.49, 2,992 Rubles) at FrontierStore.net and on Steam. New players can purchase Elite Dangerous: Horizons with full access to Elite Dangerous for £39.99 ($59.99, €49.99, 3,990 Rubles).

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Linux Jan 18, 2016, 04:14 Ant

Bah. Port it to Linux already!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 16, 2016, 10:04 CJ_Parker

Vall Forran wrote on Jan 15, 2016, 14:01:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 15, 2016, 08:01:
I'm playing with a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and I put the thrusters on the throttle thumb stick which works pretty well. With a little help of the TARGET software (you don't need to be able to script... RTFM will do) I have set up my custom config and it works great. I've even done some silly stuff like using the green LEDs to indicate whether the landing gear is lowered or raised.
The long list of in-game commands/functions looks a little intimidating at first but once you figure out what you actually really need, you can create a profile where the stick is used to 100% and only a few buttons/switches/hats on the throttle. I can 100% literally play HOTAS including the menus at a station which I navigate with the thumb stick on the joystick. Might as well unplug the kb.

I wish I had paid the extra $$ for the Warthog.

I could use the extra buttons/switches, but the NEON BLUE of the x52 suckered me...as well as being much cheaper. Oh well. Maybe it will break and cause me to upgrade.

Do you use the "mode" settings at all? I don't have it set up, but am thinking it would be cool to have a "docking mode" where weapons get unmapped (or nulled) and flight controls switch to thrusters...or something like that. Main thing is unmapping weapons. I am surprised I only shot a station once before (and that was me forgetting to launch the external control app...yay, flight assist button without it defaults to SHOOT MISSILES!)

No I don't use that. I have arm/disarm weapons on one of the throttle buttons (red button on the left lever) so my weapons are always retracted when I don't need them.
And I think docking is easily achieved with the normal controls. I just fly to my pad normally (stick/throttle/pedals) and then use the thumb stick on the throttle (= thrusters) to land the ship inside the marker.

Docking mode seems unnecessary to me. Maybe it makes sense with different control schemes (console controllers specifically) but with a HOTAS you have so many options and buttons that you can easily assign each function to an individual button/switch/axis and don't have to use a mode switch.

43. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 15, 2016, 22:42 harlock

Vall Forran wrote on Jan 15, 2016, 02:52:
Yeah, he made a post talking about his issues (which I applaud, no one likes doing that). He got an indie tech grant and an office in a shiny new building made for people like him doing cool work. He said having to work at an office as opposed to just living in his work space is making a world of difference. Funny how when you get so laser focused, obvious things aren't obvious. Not trying to be snarky, I've kind of faced that issue myself.

working from home can indeed be not as cool as you might think, depending on the type of person you are

ideally id have multiple buildings on my own compound, but yeh im dreamin there

42. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 15, 2016, 14:01 Vall Forran

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 15, 2016, 08:01:
I'm playing with a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and I put the thrusters on the throttle thumb stick which works pretty well. With a little help of the TARGET software (you don't need to be able to script... RTFM will do) I have set up my custom config and it works great. I've even done some silly stuff like using the green LEDs to indicate whether the landing gear is lowered or raised.
The long list of in-game commands/functions looks a little intimidating at first but once you figure out what you actually really need, you can create a profile where the stick is used to 100% and only a few buttons/switches/hats on the throttle. I can 100% literally play HOTAS including the menus at a station which I navigate with the thumb stick on the joystick. Might as well unplug the kb.

I wish I had paid the extra $$ for the Warthog.

I could use the extra buttons/switches, but the NEON BLUE of the x52 suckered me...as well as being much cheaper. Oh well. Maybe it will break and cause me to upgrade.

Do you use the "mode" settings at all? I don't have it set up, but am thinking it would be cool to have a "docking mode" where weapons get unmapped (or nulled) and flight controls switch to thrusters...or something like that. Main thing is unmapping weapons. I am surprised I only shot a station once before (and that was me forgetting to launch the external control app...yay, flight assist button without it defaults to SHOOT MISSILES!)

41. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 15, 2016, 13:48 Jackplug

for a game that has had a tenth of the money invested into it, it pisses all over star citizen and best of all, we can all play it!!!  

40. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 15, 2016, 08:01 CJ_Parker

Vall Forran wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 20:07:
Flatline wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 18:59:
Vall Forran wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 17:03:
Unlike Star Citizen, Elite fucking sucks with mouse/keyboard. (I still don't get why SC is designed to be flown with m/k...) Like someone said, the xbox controller is much better -- but a true HOTAS setup is the ideal way to go.

I use a combo joystick/keyboard. I usually have 3 thrust vectors going at once and the xbox controller won't do. I even get kind of pissy at HOTAS. With the keyboard I can control throttle (-50%, 0%, 50% on Z,X, and C respectively), have fine tuned throttle (W, S), strafe horizontally (Q, E), and vertically (R, F). Plus I have pitch and roll controls in the joystick. So I can seriously have upwards of like 4 or 5 different thrust vectors applied to my ship at once. Plus I have all the joystick buttons. I haven't found a HOTAS that offers that kind of convenient response. Maybe a HOTAS with twist and some rudder pedals, but that's getting absurd.

That's pretty hardcore, I applaud you.

I use the extra trigger on my throttle stick as my thrusters, works well. I use the keyboard for a few random hotkeys, but otherwise it's all on the HOTAS. Main one is I use spacebar to go to supercruse. Bastard AI scans too fast. Warping to a new system is twice as long as going into SC.

39. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 15, 2016, 02:52 Vall Forran

Yeah, he made a post talking about his issues (which I applaud, no one likes doing that). He got an indie tech grant and an office in a shiny new building made for people like him doing cool work. He said having to work at an office as opposed to just living in his work space is making a world of difference. Funny how when you get so laser focused, obvious things aren't obvious. Not trying to be snarky, I've kind of faced that issue myself.  

38. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 15, 2016, 02:39 jdreyer

harlock wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 18:38:
btw limit theory is still in permanent limbo... apparently the dev had a mental breakdown at some point.. supposedly its still being worked on, there was some post about entering "the golden days" about a year ago, but no word since...

glad i didnt back it, also thought dude would have cut his losses and at least put out something by now...

harlock wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:25:
limit theory looks pretty damn good, especially the futuristic UI.. but i think the guy needs to hire a team so he can get more content thrown in there, and also meet deadlines quicker... i dont think there is anyway it will be moderately complete before next year, even if it is released sooner

Actually Josh recovered from his mental illness last spring and work continues apace on Limit Theory. However, in order to keep his sanity, he has scaled back working hours to a normal 40-45 hours per week at an offsite location instead of working out of his bedroom 80 hours a week as he did previously.

He's currently refactoring the game engine into multiple components, since he initially wrote everything in one exec, which caused him scalability problems. The plan is to release to beta around summer and maybe commercial release in the fall.

Although he no longer posts regular updates, he's active in his own forum. His posts can be read here.

Stay a while, and listen.

37. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 15, 2016, 00:58 Vall Forran

It's pretty much single player, until you go to community goal areas or highly popular stations. Then, it can get stressful. Human pirates are bastards.  

36. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 15, 2016, 00:20 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 20:34:
NKD wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 09:56:
I need to pickup a joystick I think so I can actually play this...
I found that my Thrustmaster T Flight isn't precise enough and lacks the buttons to make it easy to play so I'm in the market for a new one.

as a long time space simmer i've found that my best combo is also joystick/kb, but i'm interested in a dual joystick config. i think i'll get a second stick once squadron 42 comes out.

35. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 20:36 jdreyer

wonkawonka wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 10:53:
I also played it a lot at launch but got burned by it. I expected a lot deeper non-MP stuff and it's just not there. I have no time to allocate to complex MP play, I just want to be able to do interesting SP missions and go through a story.
I'll wait until the content is there, assuming that by then the learning curve hasn't gotten so long and steep that it's become essentially useless for the time-challenged player.
I'm just getting started with it, but I find that most people play it as a SP game even though it's online MP.

34. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 20:34 jdreyer

I found that my Thrustmaster T Flight isn't precise enough and lacks the buttons to make it easy to play so I'm in the market for a new one.

33. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 20:07 Vall Forran

Flatline wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 18:59:
Unlike Star Citizen, Elite fucking sucks with mouse/keyboard. (I still don't get why SC is designed to be flown with m/k...) Like someone said, the xbox controller is much better -- but a true HOTAS setup is the ideal way to go.

I use a combo joystick/keyboard. I usually have 3 thrust vectors going at once and the xbox controller won't do. I even get kind of pissy at HOTAS. With the keyboard I can control throttle (-50%, 0%, 50% on Z,X, and C respectively), have fine tuned throttle (W, S), strafe horizontally (Q, E), and vertically (R, F). Plus I have pitch and roll controls in the joystick. So I can seriously have upwards of like 4 or 5 different thrust vectors applied to my ship at once. Plus I have all the joystick buttons. I haven't found a HOTAS that offers that kind of convenient response. Maybe a HOTAS with twist and some rudder pedals, but that's getting absurd.

That's pretty hardcore, I applaud you.

I use the extra trigger on my throttle stick as my thrusters, works well. I use the keyboard for a few random hotkeys, but otherwise it's all on the HOTAS. Main one is I use spacebar to go to supercruse. Bastard AI scans too fast. Warping to a new system is twice as long as going into SC.

32. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 19:57 BIGtrouble77

I still love this game and I've been playing since Beta. The Horizons update is mediocre as a DLC, but it's good value for new buyers.

The problem with Horizons is that we've gotten less than 1/4 of the content that's promised for this update. So right now the value is pretty low, but at the end of the year it will be much higher as there will be significantly more content (avatar designer, multi crew, ship launched fighters, etc).

Those of you that want a campaign, please stick to Star Citizen. That's your campaign tour-de-force, I'm sure the chairman won't let you down.

31. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 19:18 christheshitter

NKD wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 13:38:
Dagnamit wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 11:09:

I suggest this one. Cheap, capable and often goes on sale for $30-$40. (amazon link)

http://tinyurl.com/hjmcbkw

Thanks this looks like it's just what i need.

That and the T-1600M has gotten great reviews because of their very good robust quality and great value but i do miss Force Feedback on joysticks. The shaking and rattling you got when you got hit by something in the Freespace games was really an awesome feeling.

30. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 18:59 Flatline

29. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 18:55 Flatline

Total-Khaos wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 14:27:
Slashman wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 13:32:
Thinking about jumping in on this at some point. Not too worried about the 'lack of content'. I'm fine with some space trucking.

Just need a flightstick.

Honestly, this game is just a modern upgrade to the original 1984 version. I love travelling between the different systems and trying to come up with my own trade routes. Using websites to check the current prices for commodities is basically cheating, and you miss out on half the fun of discovering a really profitable route. Also, with a 10-year development plan in the works, I can only imagine it getting better and better with more "things" to do if space trucking doesn't float your boat.

ED needs some kind of in-game notepad or spreadsheet or something to help determine those trade routes. A notepad and a pencil is a pain in the ass. I've moved to google sheets on my ipad but fuck man...

28. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 18:38 harlock

btw limit theory is still in permanent limbo... apparently the dev had a mental breakdown at some point.. supposedly its still being worked on, there was some post about entering "the golden days" about a year ago, but no word since...

glad i didnt back it, also thought dude would have cut his losses and at least put out something by now...

harlock wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 12:25:
limit theory looks pretty damn good, especially the futuristic UI.. but i think the guy needs to hire a team so he can get more content thrown in there, and also meet deadlines quicker... i dont think there is anyway it will be moderately complete before next year, even if it is released sooner

27. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 18:22 clint

I played about 200ish hours early on and put it down for about 6 months. Easily got my moneys worth.
Tried it last week and noticed lots more mission types, many are multi part missions, and many types, eg. for miners, pirates, bounties,trading etc. Lots more random encounters like pirates interdicting and different radar pickups like distress signals.
I havent tried horizons yet but this game is definately worth its asking price.
And really really want to have VR with this.

26. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 17:03 Vall Forran

It's never going to be a story driven game. The meta is constantly changing though.

The new shizzle is to fly to a station waaaaaay the fuck out of normal space (~400 ly) pick up a smuggling mission (or 7), then fly back and make $50m credits. The trick, is that if you get scanned, all your missions fail. The Asp Explorer is probably the best ship in the game now for this with it's 30ly jump capability.

They are getting over the "space trucking" thing. You can still do it, but now there are other ways for you to make tons of money. And you don't need a $200m ship to do that.

Also, the Federal Assault Ship replaced the Vulture as the new combat badass. It's SUPER EFFECTIVE. Crazy agility, people don't even put shields on it (hull tank, cheap to repair), big weapons.

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo