Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer

Steam News announces the release of That Dragon, Cancer, a game that tackles the tough topic of supporting a child's struggle with cancer. Here's the description:
An immersive, narrative videogame that retells Joel Green’s 4-year fight against cancer through about two hours of poetic, imaginative gameplay that explores themes of faith, hope and love.
View : : :
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer
Jan 13, 2016, 08:33
Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 13, 2016, 08:33
Jan 13, 2016, 08:33

tired of dumbshits saying "research doesnt prove it!!" when there is no research to begin with

just fuck off, if you want to stay clueless - go ahead

Jan 12, 2016, 21:39
Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 21:39
Jan 12, 2016, 21:39

NKD wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 21:22:
killer_roach wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 19:59:

Even beyond that, a lot of countries' record keeping of cancer statistics were astonishingly poor until quite recently unless it was something that caused obvious symptoms (thyroid cancer, brain tumors, melanoma, etc.). If it was something that went undiagnosed and killed you slowly at an old age, they just said you died of natural causes and left it at that. (Additionally, expected lifespans in Japan in the 1950s were somewhere in the low 60s of years - most of your cancer fatalities occur either under the age of ten or over the age of 75.)

Yeah. Historical cancer data simply isn't reliable so there's no basis for comparison. Anyone trying to say anything definitive based on it is full of shit. The only reliable cancer data we have is for a bunch of very similar Western cultures, and only for the past few decades. There's no other reliable data to compare it to.

bigspender wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 21:14:

I'm not really sure what else I can say or do to convince you I'm for real. *shrugs*

Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing you of being a paid shill or anything, (though linking store pages is a little tacky) At least compared to linking to research and cancer charities who will tell you eating healthy is good, without telling you to buy a book, or buy anything at all.

Yeah good points about linking to the stores. I guess I'm just really passionate about this topic lol. Even more than telling ubisoft that I hate their games

Jan 12, 2016, 21:22
NKD
Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 21:22
Jan 12, 2016, 21:22
NKD

killer_roach wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 19:59:

Even beyond that, a lot of countries' record keeping of cancer statistics were astonishingly poor until quite recently unless it was something that caused obvious symptoms (thyroid cancer, brain tumors, melanoma, etc.). If it was something that went undiagnosed and killed you slowly at an old age, they just said you died of natural causes and left it at that. (Additionally, expected lifespans in Japan in the 1950s were somewhere in the low 60s of years - most of your cancer fatalities occur either under the age of ten or over the age of 75.)

Yeah. Historical cancer data simply isn't reliable so there's no basis for comparison. Anyone trying to say anything definitive based on it is full of shit. The only reliable cancer data we have is for a bunch of very similar Western cultures, and only for the past few decades. There's no other reliable data to compare it to.

bigspender wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 21:14:

I'm not really sure what else I can say or do to convince you I'm for real. *shrugs*

Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing you of being a paid shill or anything, (though linking store pages is a little tacky) At least compared to linking to research and cancer charities who will tell you eating healthy is good, without telling you to buy a book, or buy anything at all.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2016, 21:29.
"Sometimes, there are two sides. But more often, one side says it is a car. And one side says it is an umbrella. And only one is right. And the other one doesn’t deserve our attention." -Shepard Smith

Jan 12, 2016, 21:14
Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 21:14
Jan 12, 2016, 21:14

NKD wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 19:34:
bigspender wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 18:29:

Fun Fact: In Japan, in 1952 only 15 people died of prostate cancer. With most of the oldest people (in Okinawa) dying from more traditional "died of old age" diseases such as heart failure.

Cancer is absolutely becoming more common these days. The key contributing factor is diet. Diet is also the cause the so called obesity epidemic (despite mainstream sources saying nobody knows why).

There are other factors of course, such as pollution. But even these pollutants can be offset by diet, and opposite too, exacerbated by diet.

People in westernized countries are causing many of these cancers themselves, as organizations such as the USDA (driven largely by meat/dairy/poultry industries) give out terrible advice, which contradicts most non industry funded studies. (i.e. studies not designed to make a product look good).

There have been many studies into it. One easy to understand example is this: In poor countries, where people have no choice but to live off what we call poor people foods, such as rice, potatoes, beans, where meat is scarce, and where dairy isn't culturally consumed, the rates of cancers are very low. Further, if either of two things happen: 1. the offspring (same genes) move to a western country, the cancer rates go up, or 2. the region becomes richer and westernized, the cancer rates also go up.
So even while the environment and genes remain the same, but the diet becomes more animal product based, the rates of cancer go up and up. Not just any cancers btw, the same types of cancers that westerners get, as well as the same types of chronic disease westerners get.
The opposite to this is also true, people that stop eating the SAD (Standard American Diet) regain their health, and drop out of the cancer and chronic disease categories.

But don't take my word for it, here are easily digestible and well summarized and referenced sources:
How Not To Die
The Starch Solution
Power Foods for the Brain

The last two are completely idiot proof and even have recipes, foods you already eat, sweet foods, hearty foods etc with some adjustments. It's not weird hippy shit or just boring salads or anything.

So to sum up: EAT LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. Because it really does

Oh lord. Amazon store pages are not scientific studies.

Diet and it's effect with regards to cancer is still not well-understood by science. In general, a healthy diet reduces your risk of cancer, but studies have been wholly inconclusive with regards to specific dietary choices. Anyone telling you that you have to eat non-GMO foods, or be a vegetarian, or whatever else has crossed from good advice into "woo" territory. The science simply isn't there. Anyone trying to make definitive claims such as selling books GIVING YOU SPECIFIC RECIPES is a scam artist.

Really tired of seeing shit-heels exploiting peoples fear of cancer to sell shit. Don't they have some hyper-diluted macguffin to be drinking to purge "toxins" or something instead of scamming people?

I totally understand your skepticism. People make all sorts of claims and always have to make a buck. However nobody is selling you anything. for Example 100% of the profits from the book How Not To Die go to charity. You can buy these books of their relevant websites if you'd like to skip the middle-men. Or hell just go to nutritionfacts.org and watch the short videos for FREE.

These specific books are written by doctors that have read and summarized tens of thousands of scientific studies. Each book has references to the studies they talk about in each paragraph, so you can double check them for yourself. I hope you read just one of these books, because you will see that the science is there to back it up, it is well understood, and the results show that eating properly does prevent and even reverse many of our western chronic diseases.

There is no magic macguffin, I'll even spoil the books by saying that all they will do is tell to eat unprocessed whole foods such as beans, grains, fruit and veg everyday. It can be GMO if you want, it doesn't matter. The books will explain the mechanisms behind the research for you, because understanding why and how something works helps to stay on track. You don't even have to follow the recipes.

EDIT: btw look at my comment history, I'm an immature 34 year old gamer. I typically just post complaints I've been commenting here for probably over 10 years. I'm not selling anything. And the 3 books just happen to be the last 3 I've read on the topic. They aren't related to each other, they have different publishers and authors etc.

P.S. another good book is the China Study, by T. Colin Campbell, but I find his style of writing a little dry.

And of course Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Cadwell Esselstyn.

BTW all of these books are written by board certified physicians / cardiologists.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2016, 21:34.

Jan 12, 2016, 19:59
Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 19:59
Jan 12, 2016, 19:59

NKD wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 19:34:

Diet and it's effect with regards to cancer is still not well-understood by science. In general, a healthy diet reduces your risk of cancer, but studies have been wholly inconclusive with regards to specific dietary choices. Anyone telling you that you have to eat non-GMO foods, or be a vegetarian, or whatever else has crossed from good advice into "woo" territory. The science simply isn't there. Anyone trying to make definitive claims such as selling books GIVING YOU SPECIFIC RECIPES is a scam artist.

Really tired of seeing shit-heels exploiting peoples fear of cancer to sell shit. Don't they have some hyper-diluted macguffin to be drinking to purge "toxins" or something instead of scamming people?

Jan 12, 2016, 19:34
NKD
Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 19:34
Jan 12, 2016, 19:34
NKD

bigspender wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 18:29:

Fun Fact: In Japan, in 1952 only 15 people died of prostate cancer. With most of the oldest people (in Okinawa) dying from more traditional "died of old age" diseases such as heart failure.

Cancer is absolutely becoming more common these days. The key contributing factor is diet. Diet is also the cause the so called obesity epidemic (despite mainstream sources saying nobody knows why).

There are other factors of course, such as pollution. But even these pollutants can be offset by diet, and opposite too, exacerbated by diet.

People in westernized countries are causing many of these cancers themselves, as organizations such as the USDA (driven largely by meat/dairy/poultry industries) give out terrible advice, which contradicts most non industry funded studies. (i.e. studies not designed to make a product look good).

There have been many studies into it. One easy to understand example is this: In poor countries, where people have no choice but to live off what we call poor people foods, such as rice, potatoes, beans, where meat is scarce, and where dairy isn't culturally consumed, the rates of cancers are very low. Further, if either of two things happen: 1. the offspring (same genes) move to a western country, the cancer rates go up, or 2. the region becomes richer and westernized, the cancer rates also go up.
So even while the environment and genes remain the same, but the diet becomes more animal product based, the rates of cancer go up and up. Not just any cancers btw, the same types of cancers that westerners get, as well as the same types of chronic disease westerners get.
The opposite to this is also true, people that stop eating the SAD (Standard American Diet) regain their health, and drop out of the cancer and chronic disease categories.

But don't take my word for it, here are easily digestible and well summarized and referenced sources:
How Not To Die
The Starch Solution

The last two are completely idiot proof and even have recipes, foods you already eat, sweet foods, hearty foods etc with some adjustments. It's not weird hippy shit or just boring salads or anything.

"Sometimes, there are two sides. But more often, one side says it is a car. And one side says it is an umbrella. And only one is right. And the other one doesn’t deserve our attention." -Shepard Smith

Jan 12, 2016, 19:07
Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 19:07
Jan 12, 2016, 19:07

I used to take kids with health probs to a childrens shriner hospital....sadest place i ever been to in my life....many burn victims...cancer victims...loss of limbs for what ever reason....so sad...btw the kids i took there had a bone disease called rickets i believe?...there bones were so weak they were bow legged...some needed braces to walk at about ages 3 to 6...

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2016, 19:15.
I love Fortnite..keeps thy little kids out of thy good games...

Jan 12, 2016, 19:06
Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 19:06
Jan 12, 2016, 19:06

*wrong thread* sorry can't delete *shrugs*

Jan 12, 2016, 18:35
Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 18:35
Jan 12, 2016, 18:35

oh its definitely environmental and situational in almost all cases... genetic predisposition isnt going to help, but its rarely the sole cause or even the major catalyst

some children are born with fatal diseases and that is just going to happen as long as the natural world has primary control - even after genetic manipulation becomes standard (if humans survive that long) they will be dealing with the unforseen consequences of their own meddling, so thats not a lock on "perfect health" either

there is much more to life that affects the biological organism that most cultures (especially modernized industrial ones) have entirely lost touch with.. when you take an eagle's eye view, its not a good sign for the species - its not a good omen

Jan 12, 2016, 18:29
Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 18:29
Jan 12, 2016, 18:29

jdreyer wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 13:02:
harlock wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 10:53:
id be willing to bet that most people of near middle age have at least one relative who died from it... maybe im delusional, but i thought it was becoming more common these days

I wonder about that too. Like autism, is it becoming more common, or just more often correctly diagnosed? My Dr. once told me people die all the time with undiagnosed cancer, it's just that something else killed them before the cancer got too bad.

As for this game, I play games to escape reality so I'll probably give this one a pass.

How Not To Die
The Starch Solution

Jan 12, 2016, 18:26
Jivaro

Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 18:26
Jan 12, 2016, 18:26
 Jivaro

Mandatory... "Fuck cancer."

I was probably going to buy this just to support the author but ultimately I think I am buying this in the hopes that it helps with coping, even if only a little bit.

Cancer does suck!
Jan 12, 2016, 18:09
Ant

Cancer does suck! Jan 12, 2016, 18:09
Jan 12, 2016, 18:09
 Ant

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 17:55:
Cancer is probably the worst goddamned disease that afflicts man. I helped my mom take care of my mom's adoptive mother when she was dying of lung cancer. She literally slowly drowned in the fluids inside her own lungs. No one tells you about the smell that comes with someone from dying of cancer. That pervasive smell of rotting meat because the body, while still living, is slowly rotting from the inside out. The only way to mask or even cut that smell is artificial orange citrus air freshener and you learn to hate the smell of it. To this day, I cannot stand the smell or taste of real oranges or artificial orange smell/flavoring.

My mom survived uterine and ovarian cancer, as did my ex-wife. I am a survivor of childhood cancer. I know that my death from cancer is an almost certainty at this point. I'm sorry these people lost their child to cancer, regardless of whatever their religion may have been. That's just fucking awful. However, I can't bring myself to buy the game. It's not an experience that I want to relive, especially when the subject is the eventual death of a child.
Too many people with cancers. I know family members, friends, co(lleague/worker)s, etc. with them. Many of them died. A few of them died young as my current age. Even a gamer, Grungy (RIP)! :~(

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2016, 18:23.
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Jan 12, 2016, 17:55
Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 17:55
Jan 12, 2016, 17:55

Cancer is probably the worst goddamned disease that afflicts man. I helped my mom take care of my mom's adoptive mother when she was dying of lung cancer. She literally slowly drowned in the fluids inside her own lungs. No one tells you about the smell that comes with someone from dying of cancer. That pervasive smell of rotting meat because the body, while still living, is slowly rotting from the inside out. The only way to mask or even cut that smell is artificial orange citrus air freshener and you learn to hate the smell of it. To this day, I cannot stand the smell or taste of real oranges or artificial orange smell/flavoring.

My mom survived uterine and ovarian cancer, as did my ex-wife. I am a survivor of childhood cancer. I know that my death from cancer is an almost certainty at this point. I'm sorry these people lost their child to cancer, regardless of whatever their religion may have been. That's just fucking awful. However, I can't bring myself to buy the game. It's not an experience that I want to relive, especially when the subject is the eventual death of a child.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Jan 12, 2016, 17:13
Ant

Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 17:13
Jan 12, 2016, 17:13
 Ant

http://www.wired.com/2016/01/that-dragon-cancer/ for that Wired article I read over the break. So sad.
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Jan 12, 2016, 14:32
Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 14:32
Jan 12, 2016, 14:32

Sterling Archer: "Suck it, cancer!"

Jan 12, 2016, 14:23
nin

Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 14:23
Jan 12, 2016, 14:23
 nin

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 14:17:
I agree with both posters you quoted.

I think it's shitty to kick someone when they're already down.

Jan 12, 2016, 14:18
Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 14:18
Jan 12, 2016, 14:18

I'm SO thankful games can help people and now they are being designed to do it! Lighter

I really don't have the emotional strength to play this either, atm. Still trying to deal with finding out my mother is schizophrenic (delusional, paranoid, narcissistic ...etc ) about two years ago. At the very least, indirectly responsible for the destruction of another couple's marriage (including one suicide (son) and one death from alcoholism (husband)). She also directly responsible for her own mother's death (doubled the dosage of medication, after finding it caused my grandmother to lose 100 lbs). Forging my name to blackmail and extort my uncle, then again to control our family inheritance Will. Apparently she spent it or sent to god (via all the nice men in black, who promise to put in a good word with god for you, if you give them money)?

I tried calling all living, friends and family who knew her from childhood and she's likely been sick since before I was born. As if this isn't bad enough, turns out she's been emotionally torturing and abusing me from birth. It's like finding the missing puzzle piece for a broken life, causing a lifetime a memories to interconnect. Not sure there's enough room in the forum for that list ... Bleh, can't believe I just posted that, apologies. Embarrassed
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably. There has never been a figure in political history, so dedicated to destroying the prospects of organized human life on the planet, in the near future.

Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!

Jan 12, 2016, 14:17
Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 14:17
Jan 12, 2016, 14:17

nin wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 13:37:
Yakubs wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 13:28:
Apparently all the kids that weren't so lucky simply didn't have enough prayer power going for them and The Jesus was like, "Meh."

Is that what they said, as a quote, or is that what you inferred?

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 12:15:
Horrible to see children with cancer, but I think making a game of such a scenario is outright sick.

So, just to be clear, are you judging a parent based on how they deal with a horrible issue in their and their child's life?

I agree with both posters you quoted.

Jan 12, 2016, 14:11
Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 14:11
Jan 12, 2016, 14:11

gilly775 wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 13:52:
Horrible to see children with cancer, but I think making a game of such a scenario is outright sick.

But, this could be also a way for someone to grieve after a loss of their child. Maybe this is how he had to deal with his emotions.

My son, who is turning 13 in a couple months watched his best friend fight through cancer from Kindergarten, all the way up to Grade 5. I can't really state how horrible it was to see little Aaron live with it. To call cancer a dragon doesn't really capture what he went through. It was slow, and methodical. And just ate him, at a snails pace, until it ate him all. By the end Aaron was so weak he couldn't even move. By the time he died he had had cancer longer in his life than being without it. And certainly he had no memories of being cancer free.

I bought this game, even though the bloody trailer brought me to tears. I don't know if my son will play it. Maybe he will in a couple years when more time has passed. Right now it's still pretty fresh. But I'll let him decide if and when he'll be ready to explore these feelings.

Jan 12, 2016, 13:52
Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 13:52
Jan 12, 2016, 13:52

But, this could be also a way for someone to grieve after a loss of their child. Maybe this is how he had to deal with his emotions.
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older