HTC Vive Preorders Next Month

The Telegraph quotes HTC boss Cher Wang saying preorders for HTC Vive will begin on February 29th, though a price is not yet being revealed. They also offer a rundown on the latest version of the virtual reality headsets that was shown off at CES 2016:
HTC showcased the second generation developer kit, Vive Pre, at CES in Las Vegas, a signifcant aesthetic departure from the first version which was launched with much fanfare at last year's Mobile World Congress.

The headset has been redesigned to rest more comfortably on the wearer's face, with a smaller cage and more stable head strap. HTC said the new design can be more easily adjusted to users' heads, and can still be worn comfortably by those who wear glasses.

It also contains an integrated front-facing camera, enabling you to see your physical surroundings while wearing the headset. This means you could sit down, eat and continue interacting with others without needing to remove it.
View : : :
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced.
Jan 12, 2016, 16:42
Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 12, 2016, 16:42
Jan 12, 2016, 16:42

Cutter wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 13:12:
Yeah, and they invested billions into lots of other things that have fallen by the wayside. Most recently, "the Cloud". I can't count the new technologies we've heard were going to revolutionize things only to fall flat. I'm in the camp that VR is going to do the same. And at its current price point it's sure as shit not taking off anytime soon.

It isn't a slam dunk until it's a slam dunk. But the Cloud in many aspects have been a major resounding success. I feel online super highway = internet = online servers = cloud. Business it's dominating, games it has a solid place now, in terms of backed processing for gaming, not so much.

Jan 12, 2016, 13:12
Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 12, 2016, 13:12
Jan 12, 2016, 13:12

InBlack wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 03:24:
Cutter wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 02:55:

In all fairness Samsung probably owns the manufacturing for it. Even if they don't they're dealing in the millions of units which is a price break you won't see with any VR stuff regardless of who owns them because we're talking about 1000s of units here.

A friend of mine does a lot of business in China. In fact me and him are planning on opening up a business together, since we are both unhappy with our employers and we might just scrounge up enough money to make use of his contacts in China to make a go of it. I'm not going to go into it too much but suffice to say that for every Samsung screen factory there are five more others just like it (in China) making the same product, on the same production line, for the Chinese domestic market. Think about it for a second, why are companies like Sony and HTC betting so much on VR? The truth is that phone manufacturers (and to a lesser extent monitor manufacturers) have been gouging us for years with their overpriced products. High Res (arguably 1080p but 1440p is getting there this year) screens have been dirt cheap for years, and they are being sold to us at a premium. This is why everyone is betting on VR now. 1440p screens are becoming dirt cheap, the person or company who gets the best tech on the market first, is going to make a killing.

VR is not going to be niche, Facebook, Microsoft, Sony, etc. etc. are investing billions of marketing dollars to make sure of that.

I agree with your first comments. Of course we get screwed on phone prices - as well as pricing for service. That's why companies like Walmart are smartening up and introducing $10 phones.

Yeah, and they invested billions into lots of other things that have fallen by the wayside. Most recently, "the Cloud". I can't count the new technologies we've heard were going to revolutionize things only to fall flat. I'm in the camp that VR is going to do the same. And at its current price point it's sure as shit not taking off anytime soon.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Jan 12, 2016, 13:06
Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 12, 2016, 13:06
Jan 12, 2016, 13:06

NKD wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 06:20:
Also you are wrong on the technical end about the screens. They aren't using off the shelf cell phone screens. They were going to, but instead they are using custom built Samsung kit that can hit 90hz. As I understand it the pixel gaps are smaller as well to reduce screen-door effect. The off the shelf screens couldn't do it so they couldn't get the frame rate they wanted. Carmack started talking with Samsung about the technical needs for CV1 in late 2014.

Thanks for mentioning. Yeah we don't need higher rez that just ramps up further hw costs, that will come in time. But I've had in my pocket for a while they were focusing on pixel density, less black area around each pixel, that is where the black screen door comes from, that was the right choice to start with.

Jan 12, 2016, 13:01
Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 12, 2016, 13:01
Jan 12, 2016, 13:01

Fantaz wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 23:00:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 19:00:
For only $599.95, shipping included.
http://www.htc.com/us/viveprepricing
link is for placeholder purposes only.

is that a troll link? shows 404 when I click it. i hope it's less than $599 US... that's around $1000 Canadian after taxes

hoping it at least costs less than the ridiculously overpriced Oculus
Should made it rickrolled.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Re: HTC Vive Preorders Next Month
Jan 12, 2016, 12:42
Kxmode

Re: HTC Vive Preorders Next Month Jan 12, 2016, 12:42
Jan 12, 2016, 12:42
 Kxmode

I might buy a PS4 with VR if the complete unit price is under $600. That might actually be the cheapest way to experience VR. Plus I get the added benefit of owning a PS4.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jan 12, 2016, 08:30
Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 12, 2016, 08:30
Jan 12, 2016, 08:30

InBlack wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 02:21:
NKD wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 23:02:

The Rift is already being sold at a loss. There's no way HTC has been able to cut down manufacturing costs for a similar product so drastically that they can sell it even cheaper. I'd be surprised if it was under $550.

And you know this how? The Rift's hardware is basically a small display screen..thats the most expensive part. You are telling me a small 1440p cellphone screen costs more than 600$? Erm, how much is the new 1440p Samsung S6 phone? Yeah Im gonna go ahead and call bullshit on your statement there.

Actually the screen is around $100.

The founder stated that they are subsidizing the cost of the unit.

Jan 12, 2016, 06:20
NKD
Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 12, 2016, 06:20
Jan 12, 2016, 06:20
NKD

And you know this how? The Rift's hardware is basically a small display screen..thats the most expensive part. You are telling me a small 1440p cellphone screen costs more than 600$? Erm, how much is the new 1440p Samsung S6 phone? Yeah Im gonna go ahead and call bullshit on your statement there.

I'm not making any guesses here. They've stated it publicly that they aren't turning a profit on this iteration of the hardware. Facebook is a publicly traded company. The second a Facebook corporate lawyer saw that shit they would have made them retract/clarify it, if it weren't true. Analysts were predicting for months before hand that it would be sold at a loss, as well. It's not exactly shocking news. Especially with Oculus hoping to cash in on the software end with exclusives.

Also you are wrong on the technical end about the screens. They aren't using off the shelf cell phone screens. They were going to, but instead they are using custom built Samsung kit that can hit 90hz. As I understand it the pixel gaps are smaller as well to reduce screen-door effect. The off the shelf screens couldn't do it so they couldn't get the frame rate they wanted. Carmack started talking with Samsung about the technical needs for CV1 in late 2014.

Jan 12, 2016, 03:24
Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 12, 2016, 03:24
Jan 12, 2016, 03:24

Cutter wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 02:55:

In all fairness Samsung probably owns the manufacturing for it. Even if they don't they're dealing in the millions of units which is a price break you won't see with any VR stuff regardless of who owns them because we're talking about 1000s of units here.

A friend of mine does a lot of business in China. In fact me and him are planning on opening up a business together, since we are both unhappy with our employers and we might just scrounge up enough money to make use of his contacts in China to make a go of it. I'm not going to go into it too much but suffice to say that for every Samsung screen factory there are five more others just like it (in China) making the same product, on the same production line, for the Chinese domestic market. Think about it for a second, why are companies like Sony and HTC betting so much on VR? The truth is that phone manufacturers (and to a lesser extent monitor manufacturers) have been gouging us for years with their overpriced products. High Res (arguably 1080p but 1440p is getting there this year) screens have been dirt cheap for years, and they are being sold to us at a premium. This is why everyone is betting on VR now. 1440p screens are becoming dirt cheap, the person or company who gets the best tech on the market first, is going to make a killing.

VR is not going to be niche, Facebook, Microsoft, Sony, etc. etc. are investing billions of marketing dollars to make sure of that.
I have a nifty blue line!

Jan 12, 2016, 02:58
Re: HTC Vive Preorders Next Month Jan 12, 2016, 02:58
Jan 12, 2016, 02:58

Yep, read that quote. Kind of sad. Still hoping they go ahead and make an M10. I think it might be their last phone, and I'm probably going to buy it. I hope it kind of reverses some of their phone troubles, their phones are fucking beasts and Apple can go suck it.

Jan 12, 2016, 02:55
Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 12, 2016, 02:55
Jan 12, 2016, 02:55

The Rift is already being sold at a loss. There's no way HTC has been able to cut down manufacturing costs for a similar product so drastically that they can sell it even cheaper. I'd be surprised if it was under $550.

Regardless, VR is bound to fail unless they can get basically every new game coming out ported to it, and that's a tall order.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Jan 12, 2016, 02:40
Re: HTC Vive Preorders Next Month Jan 12, 2016, 02:40
Jan 12, 2016, 02:40

Kxmode wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 00:07:
For the Rift I would need to upgrade my CPU, video card and mobo; basically a system upgrade. Total cost for me would be around $1,500+. I'm not willing to do that. Vive is kind of my last hope. If the min specs require a system upgrade I'm passing on VR all together.

If the both VR sets have similar resolutions then why should the hardware requirements on the CPU/GPU differ? Or did Vive have a lower fps requirement than rift?

I have a 3 year old rig with 970 from last year an still feel the need to upgrade even for Vive. All depending on Pascal performance when they release it, but the hard fact is that while you probably can play the simple graphics VR demos, getting a nice experience with via VorpX on actual games means your machine ought to pull a decent 75/90 fps at VR resolutions.

And yes the whole VR upgrade will easily be 1500+€ on the VR/GPU alone. no to mention mobo/cpu/ram (i7 seems to be viable these days and SC seems to be "optimized" for it these days. Cannonlake is rumored to have more that 4 cores).

Also would like to just mention that what really annoyed many was in reality the fact that we got sucker punched by the price at the pre-order page when you needed to make a quick decision or see your delivery date slip by months and then many like me just noped out.

Had they given the prices out couple of days in advance people might have gotten over the shock and may have still spammed F5 on pre-sale time.

Vive will probably cost same ballpark or even more. If a lot more and they announce the price before pre-sale, again people can get over the shock, look over their finances and decide if they want to be the early adopters or maybe wait for the next gen. If price for the set is similar to rift people will probably cancel rift order em masse. If lower then everyones happy.

And getting itdepends on the games as well what you going to play. If all you do is play sims where VR is very useful it's probably worth it, but if its just the demos and few simple arcades etc then it's just an expensive novelty item that you will soon put on ebay to get rid off.

Anyhuu, we'll find out 29th of february (had to actually check if we have that this year :D)

InBlack wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 02:24:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 02:21:
I keep reading that HTC is teetering on financial ruin as their cell phone sales have dried up.

I currently own a HTC M8. Best phone Ive ever had.

HTC CEO Cher Wang: "We had to rethink phones as a company. VR is more important."

HTC is currently heavily betting on VR, seems even dropping phones is an option depending on how the near future plays out.

Jan 12, 2016, 02:24
Re: HTC Vive Preorders Next Month Jan 12, 2016, 02:24
Jan 12, 2016, 02:24

DangerDog wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 02:21:
I keep reading that HTC is teetering on financial ruin as their cell phone sales have dried up.

I currently own a HTC M8. Best phone Ive ever had.

Jan 12, 2016, 02:21
Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 12, 2016, 02:21

Re: HTC Vive Preorders Next Month Jan 12, 2016, 02:21

HTC can't sell it at a loss, they don't have a "zuckerberg" sugar daddy like Rift does. I keep reading that HTC is teetering on financial ruin as their cell phone sales have dried up.

Jan 12, 2016, 00:29
Re: HTC Vive Preorders Next Month Jan 12, 2016, 00:29
Jan 12, 2016, 00:29

Kxmode wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 00:07:
Squirmer wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 20:51:
This means you could sit down, eat and continue interacting with others without needing to remove it.

Jesus. VR is such a joke.

An expensive joke. For the Rift I would need to upgrade my CPU, video card and mobo; basically a system upgrade. Total cost for me would be around $1,500+. I'm not willing to do that. Vive is kind of my last hope. If the min specs require a system upgrade I'm passing on VR all together.

Last hope at getting it early? Sort of funny acting like if one can't or don't want to buy it really quick, then ya know we'll just write whatever history it may have off. The vive will have the same specs in terms of HP needed. It will all come down as time goes on and we can buy in when it fits or budget, if it's worth it at all.

Jan 12, 2016, 00:07
Kxmode

Re: HTC Vive Preorders Next Month Jan 12, 2016, 00:07
Jan 12, 2016, 00:07
 Kxmode

This means you could sit down, eat and continue interacting with others without needing to remove it.

An expensive joke. For the Rift I would need to upgrade my CPU, video card and mobo; basically a system upgrade. Total cost for me would be around $1,500+. I'm not willing to do that. Vive is kind of my last hope. If the min specs require a system upgrade I'm passing on VR all together.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Jan 12, 2016, 00:02
Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 12, 2016, 00:02
Jan 12, 2016, 00:02

is that a troll link? shows 404 when I click it. i hope it's less than $599 US... that's around $1000 Canadian after taxes

What makes you think it's overpriced? It seems about right to me. Is it too much? Yes. I'd never buy it, but not just for how much it costs--it just doesn't interest me in the slightest. Is it overpriced? Not considering the tech that's in it.

This is a niche market that neither of us are about to dive into, but some people with way too much money to waste will. Over time, VR will get better and cheaper, but it's relatively new technology--or at least a novel use for it--so it's going to be costly at first. And like I said, I think it's fairly priced considering what you're actually getting.

I don't know if I'd enjoy it, but it's not like they're trying to rip you off. They want to be competitive as much as any company. You just think it's overpriced because they over-promised (or at least set the expectations) on unrealistically low prices leading up to release. In reality, they weren't able to make that price happen. Deal with it how ever you want, but to call it "overpriced" reeks of this generation's overblown sense of entitlement.

Jan 11, 2016, 23:02
NKD
Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 11, 2016, 23:02
Jan 11, 2016, 23:02
NKD

Jan 11, 2016, 23:00
Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 11, 2016, 23:00
Jan 11, 2016, 23:00

Jan 11, 2016, 21:40
Re: HTC Vive Preorders Next Month Jan 11, 2016, 21:40
Jan 11, 2016, 21:40

BTTF called it for 2015...

http://i.imgur.com/q4u3JWt.png
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older