Out of the Blue

The Internet doctor made his house call yesterday to address the annoying occasional connection glitches I've been experiencing. I have a new router and modem as a result, and they seem to have fixed things up. I'm still a little salty about how flaky this has been, so my patience for the next time something like this happens will last about 0 seconds.

Impatient Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Sieger 2.
Command and Control: Spec Ops.
Stories: "Force" Overtakes "Avatar" At U.S. Box-Office.
News car broken into while crew attended anti-robbery press conference. Thanks Boing Boing.
The Lawyer Who Became DuPont’s Worst Nightmare. Thanks nin.
Science: The Entire Observable Universe, Captured In One Stunning Image.
Media: Who Owns Oregon? Some Historical Context.
Ice Cube, Kevin Hart And Conan Help A Student Driver.
The Funnies: Three Problems With Spreadsheet - Dilbert.
View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Jan 9, 2016, 11:09
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2016, 11:09
Jan 9, 2016, 11:09

crypto wrote on Jan 9, 2016, 01:05:
The Lawyer Who Became DuPont’s Worst Nightmare
wow, that is a huge article.
Typical corporate behavior. Make money, damn everything else.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jan 9, 2016, 01:11
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2016, 01:11
Jan 9, 2016, 01:11

Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 14:18:
Man, that Dupont article was mind-boggling to read. An absolute perfect example of corporate abuse. Every time some asshole rants about government and how corporations should run the world point them to something like this. For over half a century they knew they were killing people and not only didn't do anything about it, they actively conspired to cover it up! And not a single motherfucker involved goes to prison!

‘‘We see a situation,’’ Joe Kiger says, ‘‘that has gone from Washington Works, to statewide, to the United States, and now it’s everywhere, it’s global. We’ve taken the cap off something here. But it’s just not DuPont. Good God. There are 60,000 unregulated chemicals out there right now. We have no idea what we’re taking.’’

60,000! We're being killed by inches and those sons of bitches just keep right on walking between the raindrops. What kind of monster do you have to be to work for a company like that when you know what they're doing and you're helping them do it? Motherfuckers.
good summary, and yes, humanity; death by a thousand cuts.

Jan 9, 2016, 01:05
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2016, 01:05
Jan 9, 2016, 01:05

The Lawyer Who Became DuPont’s Worst Nightmare
wow, that is a huge article.

Jan 8, 2016, 14:51
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2016, 14:51
Jan 8, 2016, 14:51

First of all, that's stupidly reductive and can be applied to any movie.

Can I just repeat that right back at you?

Everything you just unironically described in your second point is "stupidly reductive"... and NONE of those things you listed as "original star wars ideas" actually are. It highlights a lack of knowledge of film history. You should have just said "I've never actually seen Flash Gordon, so I don't actually know how much Lucas ripped off from it".

A lot of the things you are complaining about are basically only with the written story, which JJ only Co-wrote (off of someone else's already complete script). That Co-author was Lawrence Kasdan, the man who wrote basically every star wars movie you've ever loved (or hated) aside from the first one (4). You are both blaming JJ for and pining for Rian over things they literally aren't in control of.

There are not a lot of "original stories" left to tell, it's all about how they mix and match things that makes any movie unique. This movie served it's purpose perfectly. It relaunches Star Wars under a familiar setting and tone while becoming a launching pad for an entirely new story/franchise. It furthers the timeline and establishes the 'new galaxy' we are dealing with in this installment.

I don't think you can even fully appreciate what 7 actually was yet based on some of your complaints about Rey/Finn (there will be reasons those things happened, some of them are mind numbingly obvious that you should have picked up on) until you see 8/9 etc... and I don't think people are capable of judging ANH on it's own anymore without also considering Empire and Jedi.

Jan 8, 2016, 14:14
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2016, 14:14
Jan 8, 2016, 14:14

descender wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 12:08:
Sure there are a few similar plot settings and ideas but TFA stands up just fine as it's own movie.
My problem isn't with the movie itself, my problem is with the movie makers failing to fulfill the potential of the movie. Thirty years they've had to think on this, and repeating a previous story was the best they could come up with. IMHO, that is a failure.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Jan 8, 2016, 14:08
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2016, 14:08
Jan 8, 2016, 14:08

descender wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 12:08:
Despite your denials it is effectively the same story.

The irony being that most of A New Hope is direct homage to older works too. The Flash gordon series, old westerns and japanese films... there isn't a single original thought in any of these movies so stop pretending like the original trilogy was the most innovative thing ever written.

The hero's journey is the same in every hero journey movie, so what? Sure there are a few similar plot settings and ideas but TFA stands up just fine as it's own movie.

First of all, that's stupidly reductive and can be applied to any movie.

Second, we're not only complaining that it's the same story, but in the same fucking locations, with the same shots, same dialog, same characters, and full of stupid on-the-nose references to the previous trilogy, and cramming basically the original trilogy into one movie.

Yes, like Tarantino and others Lucas borrowed heavily, but he combined it all into something unique and original. And he gave us some totally batshit insane stuff no one had ever seen before - lightsabers, star destroyers, sandcrawlers, death stars, the force, etc. Paying homage is a fine line, and Abrams crossed it. TFA suffers from the uncanny valley effect: such a close copy of the original but not quite matching up such that it inspires revulsion.

This is an awful trend we've seen recently, and each movie following this path has been pretty terrible: ST: Into Darkness, Terminator: Genesys, Jurassic World. These are rich universes with their own lore, there are a million untold stories there. There's no need to re-tell that which has been told already by switching a few names and genders.

Help me Rian Johnson, you are my only hope.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jan 8, 2016, 13:51
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2016, 13:51
Jan 8, 2016, 13:51

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 10:04:
You guys sound like the SC fanboys protecting SC. Despite your denials it is effectively the same story.

And the parts that aren't the same are for the worse, like (I guess I should use spoiler tags) Rey's unbelievable rise to master Jedi, and Finn not getting his head chopped off by Ren, and the Falcon just happening to be on Jakku and flyable, and Han Solo just sauntering by, and R2 waking up, and Poe actually not dead.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Jan 8, 2016, 12:08
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2016, 12:08
Jan 8, 2016, 12:08

Despite your denials it is effectively the same story.

The irony being that most of A New Hope is direct homage to older works too. The Flash gordon series, old westerns and japanese films... there isn't a single original thought in any of these movies so stop pretending like the original trilogy was the most innovative thing ever written.

The hero's journey is the same in every hero journey movie, so what? Sure there are a few similar plot settings and ideas but TFA stands up just fine as it's own movie.

Jan 8, 2016, 10:04
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2016, 10:04
Jan 8, 2016, 10:04

You guys sound like the SC fanboys protecting SC. Despite your denials it is effectively the same story.

Jan 8, 2016, 08:42
nin

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2016, 08:42
Jan 8, 2016, 08:42
 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 01:38:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 18:18:
I keep trying to figure out where a stormtrooper defects and joins the rebellion in A New Hope. Can't seem to find it but I know it has to be there.

I keep trying to figure out where Luke goes from desert planet bumpkin to defeating Darth Vader in a light saber battle in a single day in A New Hope. Can't seem to find it but I know it has to be there.

So they're not that similar. Glad you've come around.

Jan 8, 2016, 06:39
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2016, 06:39
Jan 8, 2016, 06:39

jdreyer wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 01:38:
I keep trying to figure out where Luke goes from desert planet bumpkin to defeating Darth Vader in a light saber battle in a single day in A New Hope. Can't seem to find it but I know it has to be there.

A poorly trained, badly wounded Vader? (Who had just been shot by an enraged wookiee and was visibly bleeding?) Against someone who was pretty handy with a bo staff, and fought with the sabre in the same style?

Sorry, couldn't resist

Jan 8, 2016, 01:38
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2016, 01:38
Jan 8, 2016, 01:38

Sepharo wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 18:18:
I keep trying to figure out where a stormtrooper defects and joins the rebellion in A New Hope. Can't seem to find it but I know it has to be there.

Jan 7, 2016, 19:56
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2016, 19:56
Jan 7, 2016, 19:56

descender wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 14:56:
nin wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 14:43:
My 11 y/o niece said something about "I can't wait until star wars is over" and I just laughed...

Hahaha yeah, what do you suppose we'll run out of first... Star Wars, Star Trek or Batman movies? :p

I think they're just going to run them all into the ground until they stop making money.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Jan 7, 2016, 18:18
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2016, 18:18
Jan 7, 2016, 18:18

Jan 7, 2016, 18:11
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2016, 18:11
Jan 7, 2016, 18:11

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 18:03:
Seeing as they apparently don't need to write new stories for Star Wars movies their potential is unlimited, right?
Rinse and repeat. Ah Hollywood, it never gets old.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

Jan 7, 2016, 18:03
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2016, 18:03
Jan 7, 2016, 18:03

Seeing as they apparently don't need to write new stories for Star Wars movies their potential is unlimited, right?

Jan 7, 2016, 14:56
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2016, 14:56
Jan 7, 2016, 14:56

nin wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 14:43:
My 11 y/o niece said something about "I can't wait until star wars is over" and I just laughed...

Hahaha yeah, what do you suppose we'll run out of first... Star Wars, Star Trek or Batman movies? :p

Jan 7, 2016, 14:43
nin

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2016, 14:43
Jan 7, 2016, 14:43
 nin

Damn, didn't realize they were pushing them out so fast!

One down, and one a year for the next 5 years. Alternates between Episodes and anthology stuff.

edit: My 11 y/o niece said something about "I can't wait until star wars is over" and I just laughed...

Jan 7, 2016, 14:39
Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2016, 14:39
Jan 7, 2016, 14:39

nin wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 13:58:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 13:57:
Oh well, next year is...what, Star Wars:Rogue 1?

Dec 16 of this year. And then in 5 months (May '17, I believe), Episode 8.

Damn, didn't realize they were pushing them out so fast! When I was a kid, Lucas abandonded SW after Jedi and I jumped right on Timothy Zahn's books when they released. Then Ibought the next book after and realized how shitty the writing was and that became the standard so Igave up. And then Lucas put out Ep I and I pretty much lost any interest in SW at that point.

Now though, even IF the new books weren't shit (which from reviews and friends Iunderstand that they still are)there is just SO MUCH SW stuff coming out you'd have to dedicate a significant portion of your life just to follow it all. I'm good with the movies and Rebels, thanks.
Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

Jan 7, 2016, 14:18
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2016, 14:18
Jan 7, 2016, 14:18
 Cutter

Man, that Dupont article was mind-boggling to read. An absolute perfect example of corporate abuse. Every time some asshole rants about government and how corporations should run the world point them to something like this. For over half a century they knew they were killing people and not only didn't do anything about it, they actively conspired to cover it up! And not a single motherfucker involved goes to prison!

‘‘We see a situation,’’ Joe Kiger says, ‘‘that has gone from Washington Works, to statewide, to the United States, and now it’s everywhere, it’s global. We’ve taken the cap off something here. But it’s just not DuPont. Good God. There are 60,000 unregulated chemicals out there right now. We have no idea what we’re taking.’’

60,000! We're being killed by inches and those sons of bitches just keep right on walking between the raindrops. What kind of monster do you have to be to work for a company like that when you know what they're doing and you're helping them do it? Motherfuckers.
"If you're going through Hell...keep going."
- Winston Churchill
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older