Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2016, 12:47 HorrorScope

I'm happy to state I don't know the current state of game piracy and who and what has or hasn't been cracked.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2016, 12:39 descender

for certain "warez" if you get them from certain sources you won't ever get a virus

I don't think people appreciate how quickly infected or bad releases get nuked. You can't really find something with a real virus in it that is also heavily seeded these days. The myth of infection due to "warez" is greatly exaggerated unless you are using google and downloading .exe files like a schmuck.

It took months for DA:I to get cracked so Fifa not being cracked yet doesn't totally surprise me. They have to build profiles for every CPU type in order for it to work. They have also released half-cracks in the past that only work for "certain CPU's" before they crack it for the rest. It's the "most effective" of exe encryption methods by far, but certainly not foolproof. It does certainly seem like these encryption companies are starting to get a leg up on what is feasible for people to willing crack "for free" though.

I unashamedly use cracked games as demo's because I'm not spending $50-$60 to find out if I like something or if the game is even complete/functional anymore. When the developers start respecting us as consumers (no more microtransactions, DLC, day1 patches, etc), I'll start respecting them as companies that deserve my money up front again.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2016, 12:49.

8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2016, 12:26 NetHead

Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 21:02:
You'd think the sheer volume of viruses and malware would keep people away from warez.

Well it depends on from where something was acquired and the origin of the release. It only takes a modicum of knowledge and caution to avoid the risk (and of course access, being the hardest part).

Also to look at it another way, at something else rather than "warez". People continue to use things obtained from the google play store etc, and people continue to find viruses embedded in things there, yet more continue getting things from there...

At least for certain "warez" if you get them from certain sources you won't ever get a virus (certainly not anything malicious that's been intentionally included, only chance is it unknowingly spreading from the PC on which it was done, into the "warez" release, keeping in mind the skill and knowledge of the user of said system).

If one's smart enough to avoid risks clicking a cnet link, they're smart enough to learn how to avoid any risks with warez presuming they care enough.

-----

As for PETA trying to sue on behalf of the shutterbug monkey, how typically disgusting. PETA trying to profit from something purely because it involves an animal. Maybe they should just stick to killing them for profit.

Some seem obsessed with the notion that everything must have copyright, almost so obsessively as if they believe it to be a law of nature. The monkey snatched a camera and took a photo, deal with it people. If the monkey can't legally own it then no-one does. If a monkey paints something on my property I don't suddenly own the copyright to some art, I have a wall to clean.

This is lets say "an act of nature", like a picturesque sunset, regardless of any human factors be it a man made object somewhere in that sunset vista or a human's camera the monkey used. If only humans can own copyright then no-one owns this image/photo any more than someone can own that sunset itself.

This copyright thing is turning into the new patent nonsense but possibly even more asinine, even being used to prevent anything from a bad review to repairing something. Can you imaging taking a photo of a city street then having to get permission from the "copyright owner" of every single object in the photo because everything must have copyright, building, chairs, shoes, doors, ensuing endless list. Some toss declares something a "work of art" thus it has copyright protection lol.

7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2016, 10:15 harlock

yes yes the sky is falling - never heard that one before  

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2016, 09:12 Shineyguy

NKD wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 05:00:
Simon Says wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 03:50:
Denuvo got cracked a year ago...

You might want to actually read the article. Not every Denuvo game is cracked. The underlying concept has not been defeated, though one or two titles were eventually cracked.

Just Cause 3 remains uncracked after more than a month.

And the latest FIFA game remains uncracked, and that released in September of last year. Uses Denuvo.

5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2016, 05:34 Megalodon

One form of Denuvo got cracked a year ago....then it was improved and its been uncrackable again for months.

Of course this is what people said when Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was uncrackable for a year due to Starforce. It doesn't mean piracy is over.

4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2016, 05:00 NKD

You might want to actually read the article. Not every Denuvo game is cracked. The underlying concept has not been defeated, though one or two titles were eventually cracked.

Just Cause 3 remains uncracked after more than a month.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2016, 03:50 Simon Says

"An independent Chinese warez group known as 3DM claimed to have defeated Denuvo Anti-Tamper on December 1, 2014. The group suggested that the technology involves a "64-bit encryption machine" that requires cryptographic keys unique to the specific hardware of each installed system.[3] Later, in early December, the same group released a crack for the video game Dragon Age: Inquisition, which uses Denuvo Anti-Tamper to protect Electronic Arts' Origin Online Access DRM.[4] Asked about the development, Denuvo acknowledged that "every protected game eventually gets cracked"." -Source Wikipedia

2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 7, 2016, 01:02 eRe4s3r

The joke is that Denuvo is so hardcore that not once did it ever work for me properly...

Every, SINGLE fucking patch for any Denuvo game I have to manually "authorize" my legally owned game, by clicking on the button that pops up, which opens a website, there have to copy a page full of shit and paste it in the window that now popped up. And hope I didn't miss any character by mass selecting...

Every, SINGLE patch. I preferred Starforce over this crap, and yes, Just Cause 3 included ~.~ which is by the way total garbage game and totally inferior to Just Cause 2 in every way.

The best part, it usually tries to authorize for a good 2 minutes before the error pops up.. even when a game is started through steam, you know, that online service, that requires you to be online. Denuvo devs apparently can not even manage a simple HTTP connection on port 80.. because you know, rocket science?

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2016, 01:08.

1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 6, 2016, 21:02 Cutter

You'd think the sheer volume of viruses and malware would keep people away from warez.

Can I get a copyright of a picture of a brass monkey? That funky monkey?

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >