Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release

With Oculus Rift preorders set to begin in less than two hours on the Oculus website, Oculus founder Palmer Luckey offers reassurances that there is no danger they will sell out, and that they are not charging anyone at this point (thanks VG247). This tweet covers their ability to deal with demand: "No chance of Rift preorders 'selling out', we will keep taking preorders for as long as people want EVE: Valkyrie!" And this one explains this is a preorder, not a prepurchase:
We won't lock people into preorders months before reviews come out using our awesome preorder bonuses. We have confidence in our product!
View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 21:06 CJ_Parker

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 15:23:
The HTC Vive is looking much better. The new version now has a camera on the front and allows you to see the environment around you, which is the killer feature. The updated controllers look dramatically better as well.

I really hope the HTC Vive comes in at a sensible price, as I'd much rather support HTC than a company like Facebook.

That camera is a very nice and clever feature indeed as long as they swear with one hand on the bible and the other on their grandma's grave that the camera image is not live wired to a HTC/Steam/Valve server. But the REAL KILLER FEATURE is in fact NO FACEBOOK .

Fuck Suckerjerk. For me to even consider the Oculus it would have to be technically superior by several magnitudes, cheaper, better, faster, longer, wider, better pr0n, everything. I'm not a big fan of the forced Steam crap either but in this case it is definitely the lesser evil. Quite sad that there does not seem to be a (serious) independent competitor (who of course could still have optional Steam support or support for an open standard also supported by Steam etc.).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 20:38 Quboid

clint wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 20:32:
People line up around the block for a slightly better phone than their current phone every year and pay more than this for it. People definitely have the money.

This is a very big change and new experience which I think is worth more than updating your phone. And most similar specced phones cost more than this.

People who buy new phones outright (not on contract) are used to spending that much on new phones and know they're going to get plenty of use out of it. This is a whole new thing that will get people to stop and think, particularly if they have to justify it to their partner.

39. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 20:32 clint

People line up around the block for a slightly better phone than their current phone every year and pay more than this for it. People definitely have the money.

This is a very big change and new experience which I think is worth more than updating your phone. And most similar specced phones cost more than this.

38. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 20:00 saluk

Preorders don't "sell out". But the later you pre-order, the later your launch window. It's already moved 2 months out!

Even at 600$ they are selling "off the shelves" and doing better than the Oculus team anticipated. Their website crashed from too many preorders at once. Amazing.

37. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 19:39 DangerDog

I've heard that Rift is doing exclusives, maybe they'll just be timed exclusives.  

36. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 18:12 Quboid

DangerDog wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 16:03:
The HTC Vive is looking much better. The new version now has a camera on the front and allows you to see the environment around you, which is the killer feature. The updated controllers look dramatically better as well.

I really hope the HTC Vive comes in at a sensible price, as I'd much rather support HTC than a company like Facebook.

Didn't HTC say that they'll be released initially in limited quantity, I would expect prices to be $1000 for the full-meal-deal.

A full metal headset, that sounds terri ... oh, *meal*

I hope the Vive and the Rift are compatible. I believed Oculus wanted to encourage compatibility when they were independent and needed a VR ecosystem quickly. Now that Facebook can operate Oculus at a loss for as long as it might take to build up its own market, I don't know if they'll be so interested. Being associated with Steam should help the Vive, a rare case in which I don't see Steam as a threat to closed systems.

35. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 16:03 DangerDog

Didn't HTC say that they'll be released initially in limited quantity, I would expect prices to be $1000 for the full-meal-deal.

34. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 15:23 theyarecomingforyou

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

33. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 14:18 Cutter

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 11:52:
Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 11:48:

Really? Try Canada where this is $850 + $100. Hahaha! Yeah, looks like you're not going to see a lot of adoption in Canada anytime soon. And it's really cheap and uncomfortable looking to boot. Look at the headphones! Totes ghetto.

Wrong again, Cutter.
I don't see the Beats logo anywhere on those headphones.

Hah! Zing! Of course Dr. Dre is laughing too...all the way to bank.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

32. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 13:21 jdreyer

PunkiBastardo wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 11:32:
Oh my, I just saw the European price is 699 + 50 shipping. We got really screwed by exchange rates this time.

Really? Try Canada where this is $850 + $100. Hahaha! Yeah, looks like you're not going to see a lot of adoption in Canada anytime soon. And it's really cheap and uncomfortable looking to boot. Look at the headphones! Totes ghetto.

Well he promised they wouldn't sell out preorders. He's just holding true to his word!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

31. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 13:15 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 11:07:

$600

Ouch.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

30. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 13:11 Overon

Preordering is stupid even if you have the money to burn if things go bad.  

29. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 12:45 The Half Elf

Lorcin wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 11:55:
Hang on wasn't there another piece of hardware that was launched with an xbone controller for too high a price a couple of years ago?

Wasn't there a huge backlash and it ended up losing the console war?

Man I'm never letting a xbone controller in this house - those things are cursed.

get a 360 controller

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

28. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 12:35 NetHead

Lorcin wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 11:55:
Hang on wasn't there another piece of hardware that was launched with an xbone controller for too high a price a couple of years ago?

lol

edit,,, maybe that explains all these surplus controllers floating around lol

27. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 11:55 Lorcin

Wasn't there a huge backlash and it ended up losing the console war?

Man I'm never letting a xbone controller in this house - those things are cursed.

26. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 11:52 nin

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 11:49:
Mine says it'll arrive in April.

Congrats! Keep us posted once it shows up!

25. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 11:52 HoSpanky

Wrong again, Cutter.
I don't see the Beats logo anywhere on those headphones.

24. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 11:49 HoSpanky

So, here's how it went:

Me: "Oh damn, the Oculus is more expensive than anyone thought."
Her: "A LOT more?"
Me: "Uh, yeah. A lot."
Her: "Like, 4-digits?"
Me: "Woah! Nono, $600."
Her: (doesn't flinch) "Oh. Well that's not so bad."
Me: "..."
Her: "Didn't you build that machine specifically to run that thing?"

It's difficult to argue with cold, hard logic.

Mine says it'll arrive in April.

23. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 11:49 Gib007

I'm happy to pre-order but they don't want my money as I'm not living in one of their preferred 20 countries. Too bad. I do NOT want the Xbox One controller though. I have a Saitek X-55 HOTAS and a Logitech G27 Steering Wheel - controllers are for console noobs! Moreover, I sure hope those headphones are removable or I'll have to knife them off. They can't possibly come anywhere near my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm headphones.  

22. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Won't Sell Out, No Charge Until Release Jan 6, 2016, 11:48 Dagnamit

Lorcin wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 11:43:
Yup UK price is 499 or $729 without shipping

I said months ago I didn't want to pay the extra for the xbone controller - this just reaffirms it.

They can ^&%& right off with that price.

Oh and my pc does pass minimum, I was beta for elite and use a hotas on it. I'm kinda target demograph!

Yeah, I don't need $600.00 Elite playing device either. I'm afraid they've just killed this thing. I was ready to go up to $500.00 with some sort of controller solution included, but this? yeah, they can fuck right off.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >