Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored

Kotaku reports a rumor that the next installment in the Assassin's Creed series is a game codenamed Empire set in Egypt, and that this will not launch until 2017, as the negative reaction to Assassin's Creed Unity is prompting Ubisoft to break from their annual fall release tradition to allow time for a more polished release. The rumors originated on 4Chan and are preserved on NeoGAF, but the author of the Kotaku article adds a personal endorsement, saying all the details match with what he's heard about the situation previously, and that he has since had further confirmations with independent sources. There is also talk of this starting a new trilogy arc with the same character and using the next installment to visit Greece/Rome.
View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 6, 2016, 07:38 Megalodon

PHJF wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 10:21:
ACIII wasn't bad. It was probably their most ambitious game to date from a world-building perspective, and it was paced pretty well.

AC3 was a turd and there was nothing ambitious about it. They subbed out building textures for trees and attempted to shoehorn Connor in every major event of the period, not to mention Desmonds story long overstaying its welcome. Good pacing my ass, your taste sucks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 5, 2016, 15:41 CJ_Parker

SXO wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 10:12:
People can complain about Unity all they want, but you've been playing the games since the first you would have noticed the dropoff in quality right after the second. And when the third came out, that signaled them not even caring anymore, it was just a factory product assembled together to milk the coffers of the fans who still had hope.

I agree that AC2 was the best early game but Revelations and Brotherhood were not *that* far behind. AC3 was a turd but they came back with a vengeance with AC4 Black Flag. That game is truly great and easily on the same level as AC2.

I've only just started Rogue and haven't played Unity or Syndicate yet so can't speak for those but if you have quit the series after AC3 then you have quit one game too early because Black Flag is really good.

Anyway, there is quite a bit of up and down in the series. It is not true IMO that the series has gotten progressively worse. For me it's more like this: AC4 > AC2 > Rogue > Revelations > Brotherhood > AC3 > AC1.

23. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 5, 2016, 10:21 PHJF

ACIII wasn't bad. It was probably their most ambitious game to date from a world-building perspective, and it was paced pretty well.

After being surprised by how unexpectedly well done and entertaining Black Flag was, I get the feeling a lot of people were expecting its follow ups to further expand on the core mechanics of AC. Instead, Syndicate gives us... a grappling hook.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 5, 2016, 10:12 SXO

NKD wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 19:23:
Zanthar wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 18:58:
They should have the game set in the Ubisoft HQ building so we can stab the bastards that put this shit out every year.

Why do you care? If it's not your thing, then you aren't buying it, and it shouldn't really affect you.
But it was our thing until they ruined the series by churning them out so quickly. People can complain about Unity all they want, but you've been playing the games since the first you would have noticed the dropoff in quality right after the second. And when the third came out, that signaled them not even caring anymore, it was just a factory product assembled together to milk the coffers of the fans who still had hope.

So yes, I stopped buying into the series. But I still care because I actually loved the franchise at first and they ran it into the ground.

21. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 5, 2016, 10:11 Verno

Meh, they've been talking a good game for awhile now on combat/mechanic upgrades, I'll believe it when I see it.  

Playing: Beat Saber, Control, Warhammer 2
Watching: Peaky Blinders, Ad Astra, The Office

20. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 5, 2016, 07:29 Vio

Ugh make it end....  

19. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 5, 2016, 02:42 InBlack

Kxmode wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 19:38:
They should have the game set in the Ubisoft HQ building so we can stab the bastards that put this shit out every year.

Why do you care? If it's not your thing, then you aren't buying it, and it shouldn't really affect you.

Agreed. Some people suffer from chronic bitching.

Other people can't appreciate good old fashioned cynicism even when it bites them in the ass.

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 5, 2016, 01:38 Cutter

No, they should have never gone with the Abstergo nonsense to begin with. They should have just made it about the Brohood vs. Teh Templars down through the ages. I agree it would be better to treat the characters with some more depth and give them 2 to 3 games each ala Ezio. It's probably why people connect with him best. You start out with him as some punk kid and end up an old man over the course of 3 games.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

17. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 5, 2016, 01:35 1badmf

assassin's creed has always been a conceptually brilliant series that was held back by uninspired design and rushed storytelling. frankly they need to take their time with this bitch, cut out all the cookie cutter missions and do a proper game world with custom stories from beginning to end.  

16. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 4, 2016, 23:42 CJ_Parker

Creston wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 22:39:
Yeah, I never had much of a problem with the Desmond stuff. Especially in AC3, where he actually goes on missions and you DID stuff with him, it was pretty enjoyable.

I agree with that. I also liked the other characters quite a bit. Lucy was smart and sexy, Rebecca was fun and Shaun was a riot (the voice actor is a British comedian after all). Heck, even Desmond's dad was OK, too.
It's actually a bit of a pity that just when it all started working out much better with the real world plot that they decided to kill off Lucy and finally Desmond. Very anti-climactic... and quite disappointing how they continued/abandoned it in AC4 but at least it had an enjoyable Shaun cameo, albeit way too short and little.

As for this new series, this could become quite interesting if the Rome/Greece parts would be based on the famous Aeneas saga (Battle of Troy, Carthage and so on...).

15. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 4, 2016, 22:39 Creston

NKD wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 19:55:
I do like the new idea of a new trilogy. One of my main complaints with the series recently is that they don't give you enough time to get really invested in the protagonist.

You don't get that sense of a passage of time and character growth that you did with Ezio.

My other complaint is the utter gutting of the modern story. They listened to the crybullies who just wanted some historical game with no modern tie in, so we ended up with under 5 minutes of modern story over the course of a 25+ hour game in games like Unity and Syndicate. In Black Flag and Rogue we at least got to control a character, but it was a faceless nameless placeholder, not anyone we could get attached to.

That "blank slate" protagonist only works when you're making fucking choices. If we're gonna be on rails, you need to give us a protagonist we can get behind just like a book or movie would.

People complained about the Desmond storyline, but honestly I've seen a lot of people backpedal on this after seeing what the series is like without it. "Well I didn't mean they should get rid of it entirely, I just wanted more choice about when I get out of the Animus!!"

I, for one, am interested in where the modern story goes next, and I don't really want to find out in 3 minute installments each year over the next fifteen years.

Yeah, I never had much of a problem with the Desmond stuff. Especially in AC3, where he actually goes on missions and you DID stuff with him, it was pretty enjoyable. I haven't seen what it's like in Unity and Syndicate, but the modern story in Black Flag was pretty pants. (Though it did have a cool reveal behind it.)

14. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 4, 2016, 22:37 Creston

harlock wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 20:01:
egypt is a good start - they need to get fucking moving with this ancient aliens storyline shit, we arent getting any younger here

Hahahaha. So true.

13. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 4, 2016, 21:14 jomisab

At first I thought this might have something to do with the film coming out next December, but then I saw the other rumor that Watch Dogs 2 might appear this year, so who knows.

Oh, and it seems the Black Flag team is probably working on the next AC, which can only be a good thing.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2016, 21:55.

12. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 4, 2016, 20:58 Zanthar

Because this is a place to comment and express my thoughts on the topic?
Why do you care? If you aren't really agreeing with it, then it really shouldn't affect you.

11. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 4, 2016, 20:56 Cutter

Tumbler wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 20:52:
Egypt? I think they mean caribean pirate themed right? Or maybe it's pirates of the Barbary coast?

How have they not gotten an off year pirate version started by now?

No. Alexandria is huge. Historically it would work really well for the Ass Creed series.

Alexandria

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

10. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 4, 2016, 20:52 Tumbler

Egypt? I think they mean caribean pirate themed right? Or maybe it's pirates of the Barbary coast?

How have they not gotten an off year pirate version started by now?

9. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 4, 2016, 20:08 Megalodon

NKD wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 19:55:
My other complaint is the utter gutting of the modern story. They listened to the crybullies who just wanted some historical game with no modern tie in

Fuck that, the modern story sucked and the games have been better off without it. It was poorly written, the pacing was bad, the characters were awful and the fourth wall breakage in Black Flag was shameful. Unity and Syndicate would not have been better with an expanded modern story unless it was attempted by much better writers than Ubisoft has on staff. The games are not failed by the lack of a modern story character to get invested in but by the quality of the writing for the characters in general. It's no surprise when you look at other Ubisoft games.

The Unity technical problems got a lot of press but I think the AC sales juggernaut slowing down has a much simpler answer. People are just tired of the volume of Assassin's Creed games. Why get Syndicate if they can just wait for the next one they know is coming in 6 months? When you don't take any creative risks with the mechanics for so many iterations you can't expect to keep people around forever.

I like AC games, simple mechanics and dumb little time wasting power fantasies. They have been a guilty pleasure in the past but I can only play the same thing with minor changes so many times. Nothing wrong with that, I don't expect franchises to go on forever because that leads to stale fucking shit. The only people with that expectation are shareholders and executives who only care about the monies.

8. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 4, 2016, 20:01 harlock

Santa Claus wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 19:43:
Creston wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 19:41:
An Egypt setting would be cool, but it really baffles me why they keep refusing to do a Feudal Japan setting, despite a lot of fans having been asking for it for years.

And they really need to do something about the core gameplay, because it's just gotten stale.

The initial rumor claims that the core gameplay mechanics are getting a complete make over which is why it would not release in 2016. They mention some RPG/adventure inspired mechanics specifically.

its absolutely required.. the movement system is utterly busted, and combat is a joke as always

the world and missions are cool, because im into open world stuff and stealth - but it only holds my interest for about 15 hours until im totally done with it

egypt is a good start - they need to get fucking moving with this ancient aliens storyline shit, we arent getting any younger here

7. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 4, 2016, 19:55 NKD

I do like the new idea of a new trilogy. One of my main complaints with the series recently is that they don't give you enough time to get really invested in the protagonist.

You don't get that sense of a passage of time and character growth that you did with Ezio.

My other complaint is the utter gutting of the modern story. They listened to the crybullies who just wanted some historical game with no modern tie in, so we ended up with under 5 minutes of modern story over the course of a 25+ hour game in games like Unity and Syndicate. In Black Flag and Rogue we at least got to control a character, but it was a faceless nameless placeholder, not anyone we could get attached to.

That "blank slate" protagonist only works when you're making fucking choices. If we're gonna be on rails, you need to give us a protagonist we can get behind just like a book or movie would.

People complained about the Desmond storyline, but honestly I've seen a lot of people backpedal on this after seeing what the series is like without it. "Well I didn't mean they should get rid of it entirely, I just wanted more choice about when I get out of the Animus!!"

I, for one, am interested in where the modern story goes next, and I don't really want to find out in 3 minute installments each year over the next fifteen years.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

6. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 4, 2016, 19:43 Megalodon

Creston wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 19:41:
An Egypt setting would be cool, but it really baffles me why they keep refusing to do a Feudal Japan setting, despite a lot of fans having been asking for it for years.

And they really need to do something about the core gameplay, because it's just gotten stale.

The initial rumor claims that the core gameplay mechanics are getting a complete make over which is why it would not release in 2016. They mention some RPG/adventure inspired mechanics specifically.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >