Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M?

A story from last week's Fortune has some speculation on Star Wars Battlefront sales numbers from professional speculator Michael Pachter, analyst at Wedbush Securities. According to his estimates, EA sold six million copies of the new Star Wars action game in each of the past two months, leading to his conclusion that the game has generated approximately $660 million in revenue. They quote a different analyst pegging the number of copies sold as closer to 13 million, though how either of these estimates were calculated is not revealed. Thanks IGN.
View : : :
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M?
Jan 5, 2016, 14:31
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 5, 2016, 14:31
Jan 5, 2016, 14:31

Heh.. but to call Pillars of mass slaughter (the Addon 1/2 is 99% combat and has horrid writing) a hope for the future of gaming for us more, let's say, experienced RPGamers, is pretty ballsy ,) I've played better JRPG's actually. And that is just sad.

A game that only existed because of nostalgia, and reminded everyone of the things we really didn't want in a future "better than" Baldurs Gate game.... Torment 2 if anything is the real hope, faint hope...

And beyond RPG's and racing games the gaming landscape looks substantially more shitty. You seen a decent ship or submarine sim lately?

Jan 5, 2016, 10:47
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 5, 2016, 10:47
Jan 5, 2016, 10:47

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 19:42:
Another poor soul who believes that EA/DICE are actually working on DLC after the game's release.

Protip: They are not. All the DLC is cut from the game and ready to go at release so DICE can 100% focus on the next game. That is why they know *exactly* right now that there will not be any TFA DLC beyond Jakku (which tbh I found surprising as well because I was fully expecting them to milk those udders until they bleed).

DICE is not working on DLC. They are already slaving away on the 2016/2017 (whenever the next SWBF needs to coincide with a movie release) installment and its DLCs that will be cut from the game again so they can sell a $50 premium pass to the mentally challenged fantards.

That makes no sense at all financially. Why the hell would a company wait until all DLC is finished before releasing the base game? If anything, they would cut content out from the base game and put it into DLC, just to rush the base game out faster and making money faster.

Also a studio as big as DICE is not just one person. You can bet there's more than 1 thing going on at DICE. The game designers and engineers have finished their work and moved on to their next game, but artists, level designers, etc are working on current DLC. It makes no sense for a company to be "100%" focused on a single game as not every aspect of game development can happen at the same time. Having half of your studio sitting around waiting for the other half to finish is a huge waste of time and money.

Jan 5, 2016, 08:14
Beamer

Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 5, 2016, 08:14
Jan 5, 2016, 08:14
 Beamer

Protip: They are not. All the DLC is cut from the game and ready to go at release so DICE can 100% focus on the next game.

It's sad that people not only believe this but feel the need to pass it along authoritatively.

Helpful hint: separate budgets.

Jan 5, 2016, 06:08
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 5, 2016, 06:08
Jan 5, 2016, 06:08

What a mess, I'm probably going to reload my Battlefront 2 game off my Steam and play with some bots. Still its a shame a game from that many years ago has more features then a game now, it just is ugly and old looking due to its age however.

So that's the trade off, New and shiny, with really good looking locals but shallow gameplay, or good gameplay with "now" shallow graphics. I'll take Gameplay for $100 Alex!

Jan 5, 2016, 02:27
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 5, 2016, 02:27
Jan 5, 2016, 02:27

Ever since DICE released Battlefield Bad Company 2 with on disc DLC people have been convinced that the DLC is completed along with the game, there's no changing their belief on this.

I'm sure they started working on maps for the game's DLC before it was shipped, they also tend to hand off the DLC portion of the game to second tier teams to free up the brain trust of the people who coded the game to work on the next big project (most likely the next Battlefield game).

They've already said a big N O to any space combat so that rules out any Death Star action, should be interesting watching peoples enthusiasm die when they announce more maps for Walker Assault with just slightly different backdrops.

Jan 4, 2016, 20:16
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 20:16
Jan 4, 2016, 20:16

TheEmissary wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 18:59:
So they say right now but who knows maybe it will show up six months from now when they are scratching their heads for expansion ideas to finish the season pass.

^ lol

Another poor soul who believes that EA/DICE are actually working on DLC after the game's release.

Protip: They are not. All the DLC is cut from the game and ready to go at release so DICE can 100% focus on the next game. That is why they know *exactly* right now that there will not be any TFA DLC beyond Jakku (which tbh I found surprising as well because I was fully expecting them to milk those udders until they bleed).

DICE is not working on DLC. They are already slaving away on the 2016/2017 (whenever the next SWBF needs to coincide with a movie release) installment and its DLCs that will be cut from the game again so they can sell a $50 premium pass to the mentally challenged fantards.

I don't think it is quite that cut and dry. I do think that some content was intentionally cut out of the game. I think maybe the first expansion or two might be completed but I doubt they have all five planned and finished. Don't you think they would sell more season passes if people actually knew what they were buying.

Lets not gloss over the fact that BF4 is still getting DLC post season pass. Knowing this you can't completely rule out TFA DLC.

Lets be honest here none of us here have privileged access in to the development process. It could be what you said or could be what I said no one here really knows. I have just learned to treat what a corporation says with a grain of salt anyway.

Jan 4, 2016, 19:42
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 19:42
Jan 4, 2016, 19:42

TheEmissary wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 18:59:
So they say right now but who knows maybe it will show up six months from now when they are scratching their heads for expansion ideas to finish the season pass.

^ lol

Jan 4, 2016, 18:59
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 18:59
Jan 4, 2016, 18:59

DangerDog wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 18:04:
Task wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 16:38:
Shok wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 14:44:
It will be funny this time next year when EA announces Battlefront servers will be turned off....but look at the shiny new game we just came out with! That one lets you play online plus look at all the high ratings it got in the (paid off) press.

Just in time for the new game with TFA DLC for ultimate cash-ins *CHA-CHING*. New StarWarz playable characters include: Poo Digimon, FretfulNumbskull-Trooper87, TrashCompactorPhasma (Special Ability, Get Trash Compacted), OldLeia, MartyrSolo, EmoJacenSolo with special TemperTantram-Mode, and more! Next year, prepare for more paid maps and character DLC with the release of yet another SW films as the franchise becomes epically saturated.

They've already announced no TFA dlc for the game.

So they say right now but who knows maybe it will show up six months from now when they are scratching their heads for expansion ideas to finish the season pass. They technically have already done one TFA DLC of sorts and that is the Battle of Jakku.

I really wish the Clone Wars era wasn't considered poisoned fruit. The original Battlefront games had some really amazing maps set in that time period.

Jan 4, 2016, 18:04
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 18:04
Jan 4, 2016, 18:04

Task wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 16:38:
It will be funny this time next year when EA announces Battlefront servers will be turned off....but look at the shiny new game we just came out with! That one lets you play online plus look at all the high ratings it got in the (paid off) press.

Just in time for the new game with TFA DLC for ultimate cash-ins *CHA-CHING*. New StarWarz playable characters include: Poo Digimon, FretfulNumbskull-Trooper87, TrashCompactorPhasma (Special Ability, Get Trash Compacted), OldLeia, MartyrSolo, EmoJacenSolo with special TemperTantram-Mode, and more! Next year, prepare for more paid maps and character DLC with the release of yet another SW films as the franchise becomes epically saturated.

They've already announced no TFA dlc for the game.

Jan 4, 2016, 17:10
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 17:10
Jan 4, 2016, 17:10

Task wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 17:00:
JoeNapalm wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 16:55:
When are you folks going to realize that we are no longer the target demographic for games?

We, THE GAMERS, represent such a small wedge of the pie, now that everyone...everyone...is playing these "newfangled vidja games" that the market has evolved.

WE are a persnickity, demanding lot, who generally know a Hell of a lot more about the IPs and platforms that the suits who now own the industry do.

I am aware of this, but I can still dispense my displeasure regarding it, which is fun to get off my chest, because hey why not? Nothing will change really during this great decade of Dumbed Down Games Recession except for a few nuggets here and there. The winning move is to simply not play (the bad gamez).

Fair enough - but don't despair, we have our own new IPs that haven't been annexed by the masses, yet. Just look at your own sig line.

When people shake their heads and ask how SC has made so much money, this is why. People want to reclaim their hobby...and maybe their subculture. Hell, hipsters even took our beards!

Gaming is dead. Long live gaming!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Jan 4, 2016, 17:00
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 17:00
Jan 4, 2016, 17:00

JoeNapalm wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 16:55:
When are you folks going to realize that we are no longer the target demographic for games?

We, THE GAMERS, represent such a small wedge of the pie, now that everyone...everyone...is playing these "newfangled vidja games" that the market has evolved.

WE are a persnickity, demanding lot, who generally know a Hell of a lot more about the IPs and platforms that the suits who now own the industry do.

I am aware of this, but I can still dispense my displeasure regarding it, which is fun to get off my chest, because hey why not? Nothing will change really during this great decade of Dumbed Down Games Recession except for a few nuggets here and there. The winning move is to simply not play (the bad gamez).

Jan 4, 2016, 16:55
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 16:55
Jan 4, 2016, 16:55

The unwashed casual masses, however, will buy anything you stick a picture on that they recognize.

So...why, in the name of Zeus' butthole, would the bean counters make a game for US?

Fortunately, we have the rebirth of the gaming industry occurring at the same time, with all the inherent messiness, from the indy/crowdfunded sector...because, in spite of the annual predictions of the death of PC gaming, there's still enough of us out there to support the movement.

But never for a second think that it's more than table scraps for the big Houses, now. Whatever your "hardcore gamer" favorite is, it will never stand up to a Candy Bird or Flappy Crush or whatever my mother-in-law is playing today.

-Jn-

Jan 4, 2016, 16:45
KS
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 16:45
Jan 4, 2016, 16:45
KS

Did anyone see Battlefront's new advertising?

"29 years before The Force Awakens, you can run around magnitudes more dominant than Rey over Stormtroopers!"

Jan 4, 2016, 16:38
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 16:38
Jan 4, 2016, 16:38

Jan 4, 2016, 16:34
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 16:34
Jan 4, 2016, 16:34

I enjoy Battlefront for what it is but I also lament what the game could have been. Battlefront 2015 could have been a really amazing sandbox taking inspiration from DICE's previous offerings and previous Battlefront games in the series.

I would have like to have seen less focus on infantry play and more on a balanced take on combined arms. For a Star Wars game to be limited to just suborbital combat is a shame.

I think eventually we will get the sequel we were expecting this one to be. Most likely in short term I will be playing this until the matchmaking ceases to be functional like I did with Titanfall. Long term I will probably stay with Battlefield 4 until 5 is released.

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 2016, 16:41.

Jan 4, 2016, 15:56
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 15:56
Jan 4, 2016, 15:56

Jivaro wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 15:31:
We are some old and bitter pcmasterrace/Star Wars fans ain't we?

I am sorry, I am not trying to be a dick...it's just that sometimes I read these threads and I picture dozens of us sitting on lawn chairs, on a street in the suburbs, with home crafted brews or moonshine that are snuck into our nursing home, yelling at speeding cars as they go by and kids that step on the lawn.

I know. Some make this sound so damn important. There are people sticking 2 liters in their ass. Now that I find odd.

Jan 4, 2016, 15:54
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 15:54
Jan 4, 2016, 15:54

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 14:22:
If those numbers are true then it is another testament to the sad state of affairs in gaming land. But to everyone who bought this piece of shit: You only have to blame yourselves for what is to come.

Right because a bad popular movie describes all movies.
Because a bad popular tv show describes all tv shows.
Because a bad popular person describes all people.

I say some look at it wrong, they have their own cash and their own choices. It doesn't affect me and the games I enjoy, plenty are still being made that I can get into. Some talk about this apocalyptic gaming future of which I don't know what you are describing. Just more old man fears of "it was better when I wuz a...".

Star Wars after a revival sells a lot? Wow, what a real surprise.

Jan 4, 2016, 15:51
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 15:51
Jan 4, 2016, 15:51

Think this sums up what i'm starting to feel about my age and the entertainment that I enjoy; somehow we older people are just being left behind, time to accept it.

Captain Spock: "Is it possible that we two, you and I, have grown so old and so inflexible that we have outlived our usefulness?"

Jan 4, 2016, 15:31
Jivaro

Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 15:31
Jan 4, 2016, 15:31
 Jivaro

We are some old and bitter pcmasterrace/Star Wars fans ain't we?

I am sorry, I am not trying to be a dick...it's just that sometimes I read these threads and I picture dozens of us sitting on lawn chairs, on a street in the suburbs, with home crafted brews or moonshine that are snuck into our nursing home, yelling at speeding cars as they go by and kids that step on the lawn.

Not saying any of you don't have valid points. This Star Wars game is certainly lacking in some areas that I personally would have loved for it to be strong in. For me, I had some fun with it for about a month but that's about all the life it's got in it. In some ways I am a terrible barometer for these games though because I am both not a fan of DICE's last few games or the direction most online multiplayer shooters have gone over the last 5-7 years. At the same time I am a complete Star Wars fanboy and I willing gloss over shortcomings with this game while playing it, knowing full well that if a basic military shooter had the same issues I wouldn't play it. I am also an admitted graphics whore and the visuals in this game are very nice on PC. (have not seen them on console, so I don't know)

TL/DR: We're old and bitter but this Star Wars game doesn't carry on the legacy of Star Wars games of the past like XWing, Dark Forces, and Knights of the Old Republic in terms of being quality games regardless of their money-printing franchise name. It isn't even as good as the previous entries with the same name.

Jan 4, 2016, 15:30
Re: Star Wars Battlefront Sells 12M? Jan 4, 2016, 15:30
Jan 4, 2016, 15:30

Why is this even a surprise? COD already proves that shallow console trash can be hugely successful... time and time again.
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older