Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt

Responding to a question about the prospects of The Force Awakens DLC for Star Wars Battlefront, a tweet from EAStarWars explains they are not looking to force the issue: "@ninjachris404 Our team is focusing on the original trilogy for this release of Star Wars Battlefront." Thanks NeoGAF via GameSpot.
View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

49. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Dec 26, 2015, 07:21 Tulwinn

harlock wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 07:16:
id be willing to bet an immense amount of the entertainment value in this movie has to do with the millions of dollars in VFX work, and the spectacular artistry involved with that

as opposed to say, the actual storyline itself... which id probly say is quite a bit less interesting or well crafted than some current excellent TV series
I dont find that unusual given that tv series have a lot longer to develop the plot and delve into characters stories more.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 26, 2015, 07:16 harlock

id be willing to bet an immense amount of the entertainment value in this movie has to do with the millions of dollars in VFX work, and the spectacular artistry involved with that

as opposed to say, the actual storyline itself... which id probly say is quite a bit less interesting or well crafted than some current excellent TV series

47. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Dec 26, 2015, 07:05 Tulwinn

Well personally I realy liked it, my enjoyment isnt dependent on it being original or the next citizen kane. I liked the characters, it left me to ponder backstories and where it will go next and it was good fun, so it delivered for me.  

46. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 26, 2015, 06:56 harlock

havent cared about it at all... ive never been a huge fan of star wars but im pretty actively against seeing this one after hearing about it for a while now...

it sounds like some straight up Disney shit, which is applicable, i guess... i mean, Lucas was already like a 2nd rate Disney to begin with, albeit a tad more "mature" if you can call it that

problem is that this era of movies, which brought you things like Conan, Krull, Beastmaster, Terminator, Wrath of Khan, Bladerunner, Dragonslayer, Ice Pirates, and so on and so forth - it was a golden era for this kind of thing and it has long since passed, and the EPIC fantasy movie artform has dwindled to jack shit, which is why all these dumbfucks are trying to RELIVE the PAST because they have NOTHING LEFT TO GIVE and NOTHING NEW TO ADD

at this point there are only a handful of said artists still around, its still here, just far, far more rare - see, the glory days have come and gone so now you have also-rans and tributes and obsessive nerds and so forth and all this BULLSHIT that comes along with having a monumental history of legendary items

45. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 26, 2015, 05:01  Slick 

Bundy wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 23:44:
Imagine a world when one day the middle East is at peace. The Russians and Americans shake hands. And the forum'ers at bluesnews actually like something.

dangerously close to being my new sig, but it's not really self-serving enough for my tastes.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

44. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 26, 2015, 03:52 Bundy

jdreyer wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 02:44:
Imagine a world when one day the middle East is at peace. The Russians and Americans shake hands. And the forum'ers at bluesnews actually like something.

Meh, there's lots of things we agree on as a forum, like the awesomeness that is The Witcher 3.

That's the exception. Only cause of the pure awesome. I want triss so bad. Dem redheads!

43. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 26, 2015, 03:46  jdreyer 

Rossafur wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 21:16:
I walked out of it feeling like I must have seen a different movie than everyone else before me, so much so that from where I sat I thought everyone else in the theater wouldn't have found me crazy to say, "Well, I guess it was better than The Phantom Menace..."

Not only does it repeat the beats of ANH, it repeats all the less-than-stellar aspects of it as well, such as awkward pacing and HEAVY reliance on coincidence (I know, I know, everything can be explained away with "the force") and then doubled-down on inexplicably perfect characters who can achieve amazing feats with zero applicable training/experience (oh, yeah, right, the force...). Rey out-does both Han Solo and then Luke Skywalker, within what felt like must have been a single day into her adventure.

It's not just you. There are many of us here who feel that the movie relies on too many out-of-the-blue coincidences, familiar locations and plot devices, too much fan service, etc.

As for ANH, that movie's plot moves logically along with each new action being linked to the previous one:
- Leia is coming to find Ben, so she goes to Tatooine
- Leia stole the plans, so Vader pursues her.
- Jawas scour the wastes for scrap, so they find the droids
- R2's mission is to find Ben, so everyone ends up with Ben
- Stormtroopers are looking for the droids, and track them to the Jawas and Uncle Owen
- Luke, with nothing left, leaves with Ben
- Greedo is threatening Han with a laser pistol, so Han shoots first.
etc.
The plot in these instances flow naturally from character motivations and actions, not the other way around.

In TFA however, you have several instances where the plot must move forward so either characters make decisions that strain credulity, or some incredible coincidence occurs to let the plot move forward (spoilers):
- Finn decides he doesn't want to be a trooper. He's cowardly and wants to run away. So he decides to escape in the bravest, most dangerous way possible, by rescuing Poe and escaping in a TIE? It's an exciting scene, but makes no sense from a character perspective. He does it because the plot requires it. Certainly stowing away on a supply shuttle would have been safer and more in-character for him.
- Han just wanders upon the Falcon, a one in a trillion chance, because the plot requires it.
- Maz just happens to have Luke's lightsaber, because the plot requires it.
- R2 just happens to wake up and have the rest of the map, because the plot requires it.

I could cite a few more, but you get the idea. Script writing is hard, and it takes time to get right. This feels rushed and sloppy.

And then there are the stupid fanfic-y things that make me think some of the script was written by a group of 12 year old boys at a sleepover (more spoilers):

"Wouldn't it be cool of Poe's X-Wing had a popdown auto-cannon like the Falcon?" No. That's like taking the door gun from a Blackhawk helo and putting it in an F-15. It makes no sense.

"Wouldn't it be cool if Starkiller base was like the Death Star, only bigger?" No. We've seen the planet-destroyer plot like twice already. We didn't need it a third time.

"Wouldn't it be cool if Finn had to protect Rey from Kylo using Luke's lightsaber?" No. Even injured, a trained dark knight should have been able to dispatch an untrained, no-force human in one or two strokes, or even just force pulled the lightsaber from his hand or choked him out. Stupid.

I thought Kylo was one of the best things about the movie. They might have done his reveal a bit differently, but that's not something I really had an issue with.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

42. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 26, 2015, 02:44  jdreyer 

Meh, there's lots of things we agree on as a forum, like the awesomeness that is The Witcher 3.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

41. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 26, 2015, 02:43  jdreyer 

nin wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 00:54:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 20:02:
The vast majority of people in Germany agreed with the Nazis, and in the US in the 1700s most thought slavery was okay.

Aaaand we're done here.

Hey, just pointing out Popular Opinion <> Good Opinion necessarily.

40. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 26, 2015, 02:38  The Half Elf 

HEY GUYS, FUCKING SPOILERS?!?  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

39. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 26, 2015, 02:37 Nucas

I walked out of it feeling like I must have seen a different movie than everyone else before me, so much so that from where I sat I thought everyone else in the theater wouldn't have found me crazy to say, "Well, I guess it was better than The Phantom Menace..."

Not only does it repeat the beats of ANH, it repeats all the less-than-stellar aspects of it as well, such as awkward pacing and HEAVY reliance on coincidence (I know, I know, everything can be explained away with "the force") and then doubled-down on inexplicably perfect characters who can achieve amazing feats with zero applicable training/experience (oh, yeah, right, the force...). Rey out-does both Han Solo and then Luke Skywalker, within what felt like must have been a single day into her adventure.
Oh and then Finn goes from being traumatized by seeing one of his comrades get killed to being A-OK with (even gleefully cheering about) wasting all those same guys he spent his entire life growing up and training with in about an hour (then even less time to become life-long pals with Po and Rey). Hokay...
Kylo Ren... should not have been unmasked (literally and... emotionally?) that early. Now they have to do some SERIOUS work on his character to get anyone to fear/respect him as a real villain in the future. I would like to know how anyone who actually watched all the previous movies (for the first time) in chronological order felt about Darth Vader by his end vs those who knew him as Darth Vader first and Lil' Anni second...

i hit the bar with my friends right after the movie and we discussed all these points and deduced the following:

-rey is already demonstrated to be a competent fighter before she discovers the force - in addition, not being compromised emotinally (by being a whiny little goth bitchboy) gives her a clear up upper hand.
-no one is a "darth" - none of these people are sith, which means lightsaber training may not even be something snoke knows, or can provide. this makes more sense in light of kylo ren's lightsaber being so unconventional, and looking and sounding so rough compared to luke's old smooth and well-made one. it implies he had no training in it's construction or use, and makes the comical "children-hacking-at-each-other" fight make more sense.
-i think the movie takes real pains to show this generation of jedi is immensely powerful compared to their forebears, but young and undisciplined. the movie starts by showing kylo ren's raw power then contrasts it with what a whiny bitch he is.
-one of my friends brought up finn's apparent turnabout, in his willingness to gun down the first order, but i think it makes sense. it's natural that he had some friends in an organization he still hated and feared. i think people forget that after being disturbed by the death of one of his apparent friends, he's then is only one who doesn't fire on the villagers. his and poe's friendship i also thought really worked considering he was never able to be himself around the first order "friends" he had, and the two actors just have such great chemistry they make it work.

all that said, i think good movie-making would have relayed these points without needed a fucking analysis. i also agree that despite his clear intent to kill his father and how he seems a lot less conflicted after, he's still so emotional and over the top that he just seems like a punchline.

38. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 26, 2015, 00:54  nin 

The vast majority of people in Germany agreed with the Nazis, and in the US in the 1700s most thought slavery was okay.

Aaaand we're done here.

37. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 25, 2015, 23:44 Bundy

36. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 25, 2015, 23:33 mag

Oh and then Finn goes from being traumatized by seeing one of his comrades get killed to being A-OK with (even gleefully cheering about) wasting all those same guys he spent his entire life growing up and training with in about an hour (then even less time to become life-long pals with Po and Rey). Hokay...
Kylo Ren... should not have been unmasked (literally and... emotionally?) that early. Now they have to do some SERIOUS work on his character to get anyone to fear/respect him as a real villain in the future. I would like to know how anyone who actually watched all the previous movies (for the first time) in chronological order felt about Darth Vader by his end vs those who knew him as Darth Vader first and Lil' Anni second...

I enjoyed-ish the movie, but yes. All of these things are exactly what bothered me about the movie.

And JJ's decision that hyperspace is instantaneous travel (like he did in Trek 2k9) really goofed up the pacing and destroyed the sense of the galaxy as a big thing.

35. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 25, 2015, 23:16 CJ_Parker

Kylo Ren... should not have been unmasked (literally and... emotionally?) that early. Now they have to do some SERIOUS work on his character to get anyone to fear/respect him as a real villain in the future.

Nah. He's done. Even w/o the unmasking he was done for me when he threw those silly temper tantrums and smashed stuff to pieces in anger. How utterly silly was that?

The unmasking was done for the teenage girlie fans. "OMG he's so handsome and yet so evil, how can it be?".

The mask is retarded anyway. Vader actually needed it for life support. Kylo wears it... why? To look more evil? It's dumb and silly. Maul, Palpatine, Dooku. None of them wore a dumb unnecessary mask.

It is also already obvious that Rey will eventually turn him back to the light side either because they will discover that they are twins (an element just waiting to be rehashed as well from the prequels) or because they will fall in love with each other.

I'm betting on the twin thing. Luke trained them both from an early age, then something bad happened like maybe one of Kylo's/Ben's tantrums where maybe he force-choked her to near death, which wiped her memory and made Han and Leia believe their daughter was dead.

Now that Rey has found Luke they will take on the 1st order. Kylo will kill Luke at some point and then in the final movie Rey will show him the light like Luke did with Vader and it will either kill Kylo or they will live happily ever after.

/Nostradamus out (but it's not that hard to predict if the lame-ass rehashing of themes continues as in TFA)

34. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 25, 2015, 21:16 Rossafur

33. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 25, 2015, 21:14 yonder

Siygess wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 17:09:
A solid B- as a sci-fi film

Why do people think SW is Sci Fi? /sigh

It's fantasy. It's space opera. It's very, very, very lite Sci-fi at most.

And that nazi guy is an idiot. You have to get at least 50% support to be considered majority. More to be"vast" majority.

Nazis had neither.

32. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 25, 2015, 21:10 CJ_Parker

Bundy wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 18:05:
harlock wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 17:36:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 17:19:
Siygess wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 17:09:
Heh, 'This' release of Star Wars Battlefront. I'm sure they will be excited to sell us such content in Battlefront 4.

As for TFA.. well, damn. A solid B- as a sci-fi film but I feel like JJ baked a chocolate cake but forgot to add in any chocolate.. and dealt with it by sprinkling a little on the top and making little jokes about it so it could be sold as a modern twist on the flavour you were expecting. Ironic chocolate cake.

After the opening crawl I felt nothing. Not even Ep 1 - 3 can make that claim!

You cannot embrace the new film. I can respect that. However, I would like to point out that you, like mellis, represent a minority of people who do not like the new film. I, on the other hand, represent the vast MAJORITY of people who do love the new film and look forward to seeing how the story unfolds... including the Anthology films (Rogue One, Han Solo, Boba Fett)

did you know a vast MAJORITY of people made kim kardashian and kanye west into famous people?

Still, critic and user reviews on rotten tomatoes has it at 94% and 91% respectively. You can argue that there are plenty of popular things that are horrible. Which is true, but episode 7 does appear to well received by regular folks, fans and critics alike. Personally I enjoyed it.

As far as critics go they count every review above 6/10 as positive AFAIK so it just means that 94% of critics gave it a score above 6/10. That's hardly surprising. The actual average critics score, by the way, is only 8.2/10 so that's hardly impressive for such a highly anticipated, hyped to hell and back movie.
Metacritic has it at 81% (critics) but the MC user score is only 7.2/10 and the user score at IMDB is 8.7/10 which, again, is not that impressive for the most hyped movie of all time.

Personally I'd have to agree with Siygess. It was a very mediocre and forgettable movie that had its moments for fans of the OT (like me) but I expected a lot more than a cheap and safe rehash.

As for the news here, I'm genuinely surprised that EA is not milking this cow full force. It's outright weird actually. You'd think they'd have Rey, Finn and Kylo lined up for a dirt cheap $49.99 per character or something like that. Odd...

31. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 25, 2015, 21:03  Kxmode 

harlock wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 19:13:
the point is, just because a lot of people agree with you, doesnt make you RIGHT.. and particularly in the case of some artistic or entertainment media - there is no "right" or "wrong" opinion, just various subjective appraisals

it just makes you feel more justified in your opinions, to the point you have to bring it up as something that has some kind of meaning, "Oh yeh? well millions of people agree with me!" - so what? who gives a fuck about that? oh yeh, i guess the dumbass slaves to the crowd-think group-mob would obviously think its very important.. so we have our answer there

I just knew the Nazis would eventually come up. Congratulations on evoking Godwin's law but doing it with logic.

Speaking of Nazis I thought the FIRST ORDER was more Nazi like than the Empire. That speech Huxley gives was very Hitler like. Even the Stormtroopers had that "Sieg Heil" salute.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

30. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 25, 2015, 20:05  Slick 

jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 19:53:
nin wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 16:36:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 16:29:
mellis wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 14:27:
The movie was terrible. . . . the pile of theatrical faeces.

That's your opinion and your's alone.

I'm really surprised how dividing episode 7 is. I waited 32 years, since I was like 8 years old and saw episode 6 in the theater, to find out what happened to my favorite characters, and thought episode 7 was fantastic.

There are absolutely components that are done extremely well. Great casting, great world building, great villain, etc. Then there are parts that aren't, like the lack of originality and the in-your-face callbacks to the OT. A filet mignon, lobster bisque, and dog turd dinner is kind of ruined by the dog turd. While not as bad as Prometheus, it suffers from the same issue.

I wouldn't say "ruined", and a lot of the callbacks did have a fresh twist on them. But Han and Leia had way too much screen time. I like movies who cast previously unknown actors in them, so i don't bring any real-life baggage into the role. Like any movie with Tom Cruise in it, even though he is a good actor, it's hard not to have at least one moment of "oh right, he's a scientologist nutbag".

The casting of Boe, Ray, Kylo Ren and Finn all have that going for it, my suspension of disbelief is very high. Once Harrison Ford saunters into frame, i'm immediately pulled out of the experience somehow. I don't care about him or his character anymore, I was enjoying being enthralled by the new ones.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >