Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X

Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition on Steam has been further enhanced, as the OS X and SteamOS editions of Larian's RPG remake are now available. These are free to those who already own the game, and for those who don't, it's currently on sale for 33% off as an enticement. This post has all the details:
Have you been waiting, controller in hand, to dive into Rivellon on your Steam Box? Well now you can! As of today, Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition is available for Mac, Linux, and SteamOS, opening up the world of Rivellon to a new wave of Source Hunters.

We took the opportunity to update the PC version so that it’s in synch with the Mac & Linux version and we also fixed a number of stability issues reported by players.

Let us know what you think on Twitter at @LarianStudios, and follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/larianstudios for all the latest news on the Enhanced Edition and Divinity: Original Sin 2!

And happy holidays!
View : : :

Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X
Dec 26, 2015, 13:26
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 26, 2015, 13:26
Dec 26, 2015, 13:26

aar0n wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 11:42:
Absolutely can dual boot. But what ended up happening to me is that I just stopped playing the games on my Windows installation to the point where I haven't booted into Windows in like two years because of the hassle of rebooting and waiting on patches etc etc. I ended up just playing the games that are available on Linux instead of complaining about what I don't have.

Obviously if this isn't good enough then you should run Windows, or dual boot. But for me I'm quite happy to get Linux versions of games like divinity even if they're delayed a bit.

Ditto. Dual-booting works, but it's annoying to have to stop everything you're doing in your primary OS, and reboot into another, just to play a game, particularly if you're only looking at playing for 30 minutes or so. I don't need to play every major release anymore, and even if I did, I certainly don't have the time to do it. Gaming, at this stage of life, is a fun, occasional diversion, and the more gaming is centered around having a dedicated custom-built desktop, running an OS I wouldn't otherwise use, then gaming is only going to become more occasional, and less and less a part of my recreation time. Sadly, I'm not 16 anymore.

While porting isn't an easy task by any stretch, it's also not as hard as building the game from scratch, particularly if you, as the developer, make library and tool chain choices with an eye towards eventual ports. And frankly, for me personally, I'm probably more likely to buy a game at this point if it's available on OS X and Linux, then not, because only then do I have the flexibility to run it on the platforms where I'm most likely to actually play it. And clearly, that must apply to a lot more people than just me, otherwise large numbers of developers wouldn't be spending the money to port to OS X and Linux.

There are so many games available these days, and available so cheaply at that, that developers need to work a bit harder to get their game out there, and available on multiple platforms, than in the days in which Windows gaming was dominant, we all had a custom built desktop with bleeding edge hardware (because laptops were crap at the time), and buying a game meant actually driving to Best Buy or Fry's and spending $50 to get a set of disks and a printed manual in a cardboard box.
Date
Subject
Author
Dec 26, 2015Dec 26 2015
      Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X
Dec 27, 2015Dec 27 2015
   Kali