Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X

Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition on Steam has been further enhanced, as the OS X and SteamOS editions of Larian's RPG remake are now available. These are free to those who already own the game, and for those who don't, it's currently on sale for 33% off as an enticement. This post has all the details:
Have you been waiting, controller in hand, to dive into Rivellon on your Steam Box? Well now you can! As of today, Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition is available for Mac, Linux, and SteamOS, opening up the world of Rivellon to a new wave of Source Hunters.

We took the opportunity to update the PC version so that it’s in synch with the Mac & Linux version and we also fixed a number of stability issues reported by players.

Let us know what you think on Twitter at @LarianStudios, and follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/larianstudios for all the latest news on the Enhanced Edition and Divinity: Original Sin 2!

And happy holidays!
View : : :
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X
Dec 25, 2015, 06:26
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 06:26
Dec 25, 2015, 06:26

Quinn wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 05:50:
Why are we Windows "fanboys"? Easy: because it WORKS!
YMMV.

I read your comment, and all I was thinking the entire time was: What did Windows ever do to you, that you would avoid it so religiously? It's like choosing to live your life in a wheelchair because you're pissed off at something your legs did when you were younger.

It's also hundreds of dollars for a license. Linux is free.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Dec 25, 2015, 06:18
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 06:18
Dec 25, 2015, 06:18

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 19:51:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 18:05:
Windows 7 support will end on the 13th of next month. While I assume they will release security patches that are critical for a short time, the sunset for it is here.

Windows 7 security patches will continue until January 14, 2020. Still got some life in her yet.

You make it sound like you have a doomsday clock on your wall.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Dec 25, 2015, 06:16
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 06:16
Dec 25, 2015, 06:16

WaltC wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 15:47:
I can't understand why anyone with more than a purely casual, take-it-or-leave it attitude about games would voluntarily confine himself to OS X or a Linux distro. I can understand, however, people dual-booting these OSes alongside Windows, if they wish to game. Because if you game the very best place to be, bar none, is Windows. There's really no comparison. And it isn't just that the games are so much more plentiful & generally a lot better on Windows (because they aren't ports from another company using OpenGL wrappers, etc.)--the drivers for gaming hardware (like GPUs, etc.) are a lot better and the hardware itself is far more plentiful in the Windows environment.

This isn't to knock other OSes at all--just to comment on the fact that it is also difficult for me to understand why game companies even bother to pay for OS X/Linux ports of their games, or why OS X/Linux "gamers" (I feel those are oxymorons) are willing to wait months and years on second-rate game ports that often never come at all.

In short, I can see dual-booting OS X or Linux with Windows and gaming on Windows--can't see the value of restricting myself to either non-Windows environment unless gaming is something I can take or leave. I would imagine this is pretty much universal.

"Build it, and they will come."

Dec 25, 2015, 05:50
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 05:50
Dec 25, 2015, 05:50

Xil wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 04:38:
I can't understand why anyone with more than a purely casual, take-it-or-leave it attitude about games would voluntarily confine himself to OS X or a Linux distro.

I kicked Windows out of the house about 6 years ago and been running opensuse on all systems at home.

As a gamer I have to agree it was difficult but often I get pretty far using Wine and I come to live with the fact that big AAA games simply won't come out and thus I get them on the PS4 if I really want them.

I got to admit I also no longer have the erge -like when I was younger- to get every game when it comes out so I had no big issue waiting for DoS. I got 304 Linux games under Steam out of the 442 in total I have on Steam. They all run and I do wonder if those 140 windows only once still work under windows 10 as they where all bought in the WinXP era. So personally I don't see any need to go back to windows.

Not sure why you mention second-rate ports, DoS what this thread is about is far from that and I am pretty sure I got the same experience you got, albeit a bit later. But in general there are bad ports, but you learn to avoid them quite easly

As for the GPU drivers, the Nvidia drivers are pretty damn good under linux as they share a big code base with the windows drivers, with Vulkan around the corner it will only get better.

For none game-ing people its a lot easier, if I look at my mother (78) she is running it on her laptop and browses/email/libre office away like she does not know any better, she loved KDE5, prints via Wifi to her HP5520 and I see no issue there to ever install windows there either.

So to each it's own I guess, like you can't understand why people would game under linux I can't understand why people are windows fanboys, but hey such is life.

Why are we Windows "fanboys"? Easy: because it WORKS!

I read your comment, and all I was thinking the entire time was: What did Windows ever do to you, that you would avoid it so religiously? It's like choosing to live your life in a wheelchair because you're pissed off at something your legs did when you were younger.

Dec 25, 2015, 04:38
Xil

Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 04:38
Dec 25, 2015, 04:38
 Xil

I can't understand why anyone with more than a purely casual, take-it-or-leave it attitude about games would voluntarily confine himself to OS X or a Linux distro.

I kicked Windows out of the house about 6 years ago and been running opensuse on all systems at home.

As a gamer I have to agree it was difficult but often I get pretty far using Wine and I come to live with the fact that big AAA games simply won't come out and thus I get them on the PS4 if I really want them.

I got to admit I also no longer have the erge -like when I was younger- to get every game when it comes out so I had no big issue waiting for DoS. I got 304 Linux games under Steam out of the 442 in total I have on Steam. They all run and I do wonder if those 140 windows only once still work under windows 10 as they where all bought in the WinXP era. So personally I don't see any need to go back to windows.

Not sure why you mention second-rate ports, DoS what this thread is about is far from that and I am pretty sure I got the same experience you got, albeit a bit later. But in general there are bad ports, but you learn to avoid them quite easly

As for the GPU drivers, the Nvidia drivers are pretty damn good under linux as they share a big code base with the windows drivers, with Vulkan around the corner it will only get better.

For none game-ing people its a lot easier, if I look at my mother (78) she is running it on her laptop and browses/email/libre office away like she does not know any better, she loved KDE5, prints via Wifi to her HP5520 and I see no issue there to ever install windows there either.

So to each it's own I guess, like you can't understand why people would game under linux I can't understand why people are windows fanboys, but hey such is life.

Dec 25, 2015, 03:52
Cutter

Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 03:52
Dec 25, 2015, 03:52
 Cutter

I wonder if they were listening to a lot of INXS when they did this.
"If you're going through Hell...keep going."
- Winston Churchill

Re: GeForce Drivers for Fallout 4, Legacy of the Void, & Battlefront
Dec 25, 2015, 00:34
Re: GeForce Drivers for Fallout 4, Legacy of the Void, & Battlefront Dec 25, 2015, 00:34
Dec 25, 2015, 00:34

Osc8r wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 21:42:
I hope they ramp up the difficult in this and in DOS 2.

Once i got out of the starter area the game was wayyyyy too easy.

Still a great game though.

I must be doing something wrong. I've tried to play this multiple times and no matter where I go from the starter town I get completely crushed in the first or second round of any fight.

Dec 25, 2015, 00:31
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 00:31
Dec 25, 2015, 00:31

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 19:51:
Windows 7 support will end on the 13th of next month. While I assume they will release security patches that are critical for a short time, the sunset for it is here.

Windows 7 security patches will continue until January 14, 2020. Still got some life in her yet.

Provided you have an Extended Support contract. Do you?
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Dec 24, 2015, 22:18
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 24, 2015, 22:18
Dec 24, 2015, 22:18

Osc8r wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 21:42:

Yep. Check out the mod at Nexus it helps and adds quite a bit to it all. It is something modifiable, for example I added +2 to max AP and Per Turn for the AI. Give them some more points to do something and a few other changes. The game isn't hard enough if you push it.

Dec 24, 2015, 22:15
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 24, 2015, 22:15
Dec 24, 2015, 22:15

LittleMe wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 17:51:
it is also difficult for me to understand why game companies even bother to pay for OS X/Linux ports of their games, or why OS X/Linux "gamers" (I feel those are oxymorons) are willing to wait months and years on second-rate game ports that often never come at all.

It seems to me that publishers and developers view it as a longer term investment and as a protest against Windows control of the marketplace. It also keeps a healthy fear in MS that they can't strong arm the industry without consequences. Choice is freedom.

IMO in this games cases and other KS's, they put those versions in there to get as much money as they can to make goal. Larian was in no hurray to deliver these timely.

Dec 24, 2015, 21:42
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 24, 2015, 21:42
Dec 24, 2015, 21:42

Dec 24, 2015, 21:41
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 24, 2015, 21:41
Dec 24, 2015, 21:41

As you get older and career and family become more important, gaming necessarily takes a back seat to the better uses for your time. For some professions/fields, Windows really isn't the ideal OS -- or at least Windows takes more setup for it to be ideal and meanwhile none of your colleagues are running Windows machines -- and to run a Windows machine for gaming, when your computer(s) are primarily used for other purposes, can end up being a real nuisance. Certainly from the perspective of performance per dollar -- when building your own desktop -- and from game availability, Windows can't be beat, but that assumes that those are the things that are most important to you in your computer. When you reach a point in life when gaming is a secondary interest at best, rather than your core hobby and a source of identity, then having that ridiculously powerful desktop that runs all the latest games at 4k resolution and 60+ frames per second stops making a whole lot of sense. And when that happens, when you still like to play the occasional game but are no longer concerned about doing so with maximum performance, then you really start to appreciate having the option of playing new(ish) games on OS X and Linux. And clearly for the companies doing the ports, the revenue from having their games on other platforms clearly must outweigh the cost of porting, otherwise they wouldn't bother.

Dec 24, 2015, 19:51
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 24, 2015, 19:51
Dec 24, 2015, 19:51

A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

Dec 24, 2015, 18:05
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 24, 2015, 18:05
Dec 24, 2015, 18:05

For me, Linux gaming can be wrapped up in a pretty easy way; because I can.

I would prefer that all my Steam gaming purchases would be done on Linux but I am also cognizant of the fact that, right now, that's not really feasible. So I keep a small Windows partition around for the time being. However, I'm also finding that a lot of games coming out from big name publishers don't really interest me any more, especially now that I have become part of the "older" gamer crowd. The stuff indie developers are doing is far more interesting to me and a lot of their stuff is platform agnostic because they're coming from spaces where they can, and do, use Linux or OSX as their development platform and that their Unity or UE pipelines can create binaries for all X86 compatible platforms.

I also disagree with the notion that driver performance is universally worse on Linux. I guess if you're an idio err AMD consumer, that's probably true. However the Nvidia and Intel binary blobs are really performant. As an example, I actually get better performance out of Kerbal Space Program on Linux than I do on Windows on the exact same hardware. Modding is just as easy on both OSes.

Also, too, a lot of us are tired of being on the Microsoft train. Windows 7 support will end on the 13th of next month. While I assume they will release security patches that are critical for a short time, the sunset for it is here. Either people move on to Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 or they'll be left in the dust. While Windows 10's performance is much better than that of Windows 7, it comes with certain Microsoft features that, frankly, annoy the piss out of me. Even with the Enterprise edition, unless I'm running my own install of System Center or WSUS, forced reboots and installations are a thing. I also don't need my OS to be interconnected with everything under the sun. It needs to be fast, stable, and secure. For me, that's Linux and it's easy to use. I have my mother, a woman in her late 60s whom isn't a geek by any means, using Linux. She was a Windows user since 3.1. She finds it easy to use and operate and it does everything she needs it to do.

I guess you might call me a "casual" since when I sit down in front of my PC, gaming isn't the whole and only reason I use it. While I certainly do game, I also use my PC for a whole host of other endeavors.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Dec 24, 2015, 17:51
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 24, 2015, 17:51
Dec 24, 2015, 17:51

it is also difficult for me to understand why game companies even bother to pay for OS X/Linux ports of their games, or why OS X/Linux "gamers" (I feel those are oxymorons) are willing to wait months and years on second-rate game ports that often never come at all.

It seems to me that publishers and developers view it as a longer term investment and as a protest against Windows control of the marketplace. It also keeps a healthy fear in MS that they can't strong arm the industry without consequences. Choice is freedom.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

Dec 24, 2015, 17:21
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 24, 2015, 17:21
Dec 24, 2015, 17:21

In short, I can see dual-booting OS X or Linux with Windows and gaming on Windows--can't see the value of restricting myself to either non-Windows environment unless gaming is something I can take or leave. I would imagine this is pretty much universal.

This comes up every time linux is mentioned, often in a much more aggressive "Linux is stealing my windows game developers time" sort of way, which I so much appreciate you not doing here.

The thing is, your opinion is not universal, and people like myself who play games exclusively on linux exist. I don't understand why people don't accept this. You can (and did) call me casual, and that's fine. I still want games like this, and I pay for them.

Dec 24, 2015, 15:47
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 24, 2015, 15:47
Dec 24, 2015, 15:47

I can't understand why anyone with more than a purely casual, take-it-or-leave it attitude about games would voluntarily confine himself to OS X or a Linux distro. I can understand, however, people dual-booting these OSes alongside Windows, if they wish to game. Because if you game the very best place to be, bar none, is Windows. There's really no comparison. And it isn't just that the games are so much more plentiful & generally a lot better on Windows (because they aren't ports from another company using OpenGL wrappers, etc.)--the drivers for gaming hardware (like GPUs, etc.) are a lot better and the hardware itself is far more plentiful in the Windows environment.

This isn't to knock other OSes at all--just to comment on the fact that it is also difficult for me to understand why game companies even bother to pay for OS X/Linux ports of their games, or why OS X/Linux "gamers" (I feel those are oxymorons) are willing to wait months and years on second-rate game ports that often never come at all.

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Dec 24, 2015, 14:41
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 24, 2015, 14:41
Dec 24, 2015, 14:41

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 14:26:
Assuming couch coop, it means you are playing with controllers. It is doable, I'm doing that with my wife. That said, it is a bit tedious managing inventory with it (sometimes between session I jump into the game K/M wise and do some clean up / prep work. But that is really the only con I have. The rest is great, moving and fighting all work well that way.

If you are talking two player but both on their own PC, it will cost you more, you won't be snuggled as much, but there is no major UI issue that way.

This is a great coop game for someone that doesn't like action games as they are too frantic for them (my wife) TB gives them all the time they need. Everything is also voiced, so the presentation is solid to.

There are so few tb coop games...

Yup. Couch Co-op. That's the exact info I needed. I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks for taking the time to write that up.

It's funny I do the same inventory management thing when we play Diablo III on the ol' Xbox. I was like, "yeah she's gonna hate this part and I'll just annoy the crap outta her by telling her what's best all the time, so I'll just say that it's handled." Cheers, good sir!

Dec 24, 2015, 14:26
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 24, 2015, 14:26
Dec 24, 2015, 14:26

Assuming couch coop, it means you are playing with controllers. It is doable, I'm doing that with my wife. That said, it is a bit tedious managing inventory with it (sometimes between session I jump into the game K/M wise and do some clean up / prep work. But that is really the only con I have. The rest is great, moving and fighting all work well that way.

If you are talking two player but both on their own PC, it will cost you more, you won't be snuggled as much, but there is no major UI issue that way.

This is a great coop game for someone that doesn't like action games as they are too frantic for them (my wife) TB gives them all the time they need. Everything is also voiced, so the presentation is solid to.

There are so few tb coop games...

Dec 24, 2015, 12:44
Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 24, 2015, 12:44
Dec 24, 2015, 12:44

Got a question about the local co-op for this game from some people that have played it. My wife has recently expressed interest in some co-op games. Naturally, I'm excited by the opportunity to play some games and score some together time points, 2 birds, one stone and all that. How would the co-op mode be for an absolute noob? Or am I hoping for too much here?
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older