Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X

Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition on Steam has been further enhanced, as the OS X and SteamOS editions of Larian's RPG remake are now available. These are free to those who already own the game, and for those who don't, it's currently on sale for 33% off as an enticement. This post has all the details:
Have you been waiting, controller in hand, to dive into Rivellon on your Steam Box? Well now you can! As of today, Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition is available for Mac, Linux, and SteamOS, opening up the world of Rivellon to a new wave of Source Hunters.

We took the opportunity to update the PC version so that its in synch with the Mac & Linux version and we also fixed a number of stability issues reported by players.

Let us know what you think on Twitter at @LarianStudios, and follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/larianstudios for all the latest news on the Enhanced Edition and Divinity: Original Sin 2!

And happy holidays!
View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Kali Dec 27, 2015, 20:22 Ant

aar0n wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 21:18:
Geez, reading this thread I feel like other Kali players from the 90s got on the same Linux and OS X train I did in the same way.
Are there still Kali players today? It seems dead.

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 26, 2015, 13:26 Scottish Martial Arts

aar0n wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 11:42:
Absolutely can dual boot. But what ended up happening to me is that I just stopped playing the games on my Windows installation to the point where I haven't booted into Windows in like two years because of the hassle of rebooting and waiting on patches etc etc. I ended up just playing the games that are available on Linux instead of complaining about what I don't have.

Obviously if this isn't good enough then you should run Windows, or dual boot. But for me I'm quite happy to get Linux versions of games like divinity even if they're delayed a bit.

Ditto. Dual-booting works, but it's annoying to have to stop everything you're doing in your primary OS, and reboot into another, just to play a game, particularly if you're only looking at playing for 30 minutes or so. I don't need to play every major release anymore, and even if I did, I certainly don't have the time to do it. Gaming, at this stage of life, is a fun, occasional diversion, and the more gaming is centered around having a dedicated custom-built desktop, running an OS I wouldn't otherwise use, then gaming is only going to become more occasional, and less and less a part of my recreation time. Sadly, I'm not 16 anymore.

While porting isn't an easy task by any stretch, it's also not as hard as building the game from scratch, particularly if you, as the developer, make library and tool chain choices with an eye towards eventual ports. And frankly, for me personally, I'm probably more likely to buy a game at this point if it's available on OS X and Linux, then not, because only then do I have the flexibility to run it on the platforms where I'm most likely to actually play it. And clearly, that must apply to a lot more people than just me, otherwise large numbers of developers wouldn't be spending the money to port to OS X and Linux.

There are so many games available these days, and available so cheaply at that, that developers need to work a bit harder to get their game out there, and available on multiple platforms, than in the days in which Windows gaming was dominant, we all had a custom built desktop with bleeding edge hardware (because laptops were crap at the time), and buying a game meant actually driving to Best Buy or Fry's and spending $50 to get a set of disks and a printed manual in a cardboard box.

38. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 26, 2015, 11:42 aar0n

wasteoid wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 02:10:
i think the implication was that you can easily dual-boot, thus avoiding the problem of missing games because they don't have a linux version. i would guess a non-trivial percentage of dual-boot users do so for that very reason.

Absolutely can dual boot. But what ended up happening to me is that I just stopped playing the games on my Windows installation to the point where I haven't booted into Windows in like two years because of the hassle of rebooting and waiting on patches etc etc. I ended up just playing the games that are available on Linux instead of complaining about what I don't have.

Obviously if this isn't good enough then you should run Windows, or dual boot. But for me I'm quite happy to get Linux versions of games like divinity even if they're delayed a bit.

37. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 26, 2015, 02:10 wasteoid

i think the implication was that you can easily dual-boot, thus avoiding the problem of missing games because they don't have a linux version. i would guess a non-trivial percentage of dual-boot users do so for that very reason.

36. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 23:12 aar0n

why are you inconveniencing yourself like this, over an operating system choice? i don't understand.

I'm not OP but am in a similar situation. I do more on my Pc than play games and for me the inconvenience is actually using windows, since I do so much more in Linux on a day to day basis.

35. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 22:56 Nucas

Xil wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 04:38:
WaltC wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 15:47:
I can't understand why anyone with more than a purely casual, take-it-or-leave it attitude about games would voluntarily confine himself to OS X or a Linux distro.

I kicked Windows out of the house about 6 years ago and been running opensuse on all systems at home.

As a gamer I have to agree it was difficult but often I get pretty far using Wine and I come to live with the fact that big AAA games simply won't come out and thus I get them on the PS4 if I really want them.

why are you inconveniencing yourself like this, over an operating system choice? i don't understand.

34. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 21:18 aar0n

Geez, reading this thread I feel like other Kali players from the 90s got on the same Linux and OS X train I did in the same way.  

33. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 20:14 Scottish Martial Arts

Santa Claus wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 14:17:
Many people don't buy traditional PCs at all anymore. My new girlfriend has a Macbook Pro and shes never going back to a desktop. That's a bunch of market share they can't chase unless they get into OSX and Linux ports.

This is basically where I'm at at this point. I got issued a MacBook Pro for my last job, and ended up really liking it, so when my personal laptop, a Lenovo ThinkPad, had reached the end of its useful life, I bought a 15" MBP of my own earlier this year. As life, career, and my computing needs have evolved, that MBP gets the overwhelming majority of my usage time, while the custom gaming desktop mostly just gathers dust. I still fire up the desktop from time to time, but that gets less frequent simply as a function of their being different demands, with different priority, on my time than when I was a high school or college student and thought of myself as a hardcore gamer and absolutely had to play every major new release. As a result of its infrequent use, I keep going back and forth on whether or not to just get rid of the desktop, particularly given the hassle of moving the thing when I change apartments and the associated desk, peripherals, and miscellaneous crap (all of which take up space and impose fixed requirements on how I choose to furnish at least one room of my home). I'd still like the option to play a game, but the days when I needed to play every major release and I needed to do so with bleeding edge hardware are long over and will never be coming back. With that in mind, I'm very happy to see that more and more developers release on OS X and Linux, and not just Windows.

32. Re: GeForce Drivers for Fallout 4, Legacy of the Void, & Battlefront Dec 25, 2015, 17:06 HorrorScope

Bradley wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 00:34:
Osc8r wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 21:42:
I hope they ramp up the difficult in this and in DOS 2.

Once i got out of the starter area the game was wayyyyy too easy.

Still a great game though.

I must be doing something wrong. I've tried to play this multiple times and no matter where I go from the starter town I get completely crushed in the first or second round of any fight.

In the EE version they added more comments and hints on where to go from town. West Gate up towards Light House is my direct tip!

31. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 16:43 Pr()ZaC

yuastnav wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 14:34:
Quinn wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 05:50:
[...]
Why are we Windows "fanboys"? Easy: because it WORKS!
[...]

Uh huh. I've been using windows for 22 years, Linux for 13. I find Linux so much more comfortable although I basically grew up with Windows. The "it works" mantra is a myth to me, because it really doesn't. I have my fair share of problems with both operating system but in terms of user friendliness and stability I've had a much better experience with Linux than with Windows.
For me, it has been the other way around. Problems with Linux distros not being compatible with a number of configurations happened MUCH more. Heck, sometimes I can't even boot a LiveCD.

30. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 14:34 yuastnav

[...]
[...]

Uh huh. I've been using windows for 22 years, Linux for 13. I find Linux so much more comfortable although I basically grew up with Windows. The "it works" mantra is a myth to me, because it really doesn't. I have my fair share of problems with both operating system but in terms of user friendliness and stability I've had a much better experience with Linux than with Windows.

29. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 14:17 Megalodon

Many people don't buy traditional PCs at all anymore. My new girlfriend has a Macbook Pro and shes never going back to a desktop. That's a bunch of market share they can't chase unless they get into OSX and Linux ports. Valve is smart, like you said they are slowly creating a viable alternative to Windows gaming. There are already 1200+ games that we didn't have a year ago. That number will keep growing. As it grows so will attention to drivers from Nvidia and AMD which will help out the transition significantly.

PC gaming is supposed to be about choice and options. The idiotic attitude where you should only use one OS is borne from fear of change. Stuff like this is only good for consumers in general and that's all it is, an option.

The worst case scenario for Valve is a total shift to mobile platforms. Microsoft isn't doing itself any favors on the PC so that's not a real concern, they are so desperate to convert people to Windows 10 that they're trying to force it on them through Windows Update. Mobile is the real threat now, many publishers can't ignore that revenue stream from shitty IAP games.

28. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 13:50 Warskull

WaltC wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 15:47:
This isn't to knock other OSes at all--just to comment on the fact that it is also difficult for me to understand why game companies even bother to pay for OS X/Linux ports of their games, or why OS X/Linux "gamers" (I feel those are oxymorons) are willing to wait months and years on second-rate game ports that often never come at all.

It is a long project. As more developers support Linux and OS X gaming it becomes a more viable option. Microsoft was jealously eye-balling the walled garden approach of iOS for some time before Windows 10 and it spooked a lot of people. GabeN realized his company's fate was ultimately tied to the whims of Microsoft. What would happen if Microsoft decided to lock them out? A lot of other developers noticed the same thing. When Windows 10 hit, yes it was as draconian as people feared (possibly in part due to the change in leadership at Microsoft), but it still made them all realize they were vulnerable.

There is a big push to have games be on multiple operating systems right now. That way developers can hedge their bets. This is more about trying to create an ecosystem where gaming is no longer a Windows exclusive activity on the computer. Valve has actually done a very good job at bringing gaming back to Apple computers. It isn't as good as windows, but you can actually be a gamer on an OSX device now.

27. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 10:30 Quinn

Santa Claus wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 10:25:
Quinn wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 09:20:
Windows works fine. All games are compatible with it. I don't give a fuck about spying and Edward Snowden shouldn't have tried to be a fucking hero. That went off topic.

All I know is that Win10 works flawlessly and Windows updates (oooo Illuminati!) actually fix stability issues.

I have no problem with Windows because I have no problems with it. Never had. Linux hipsters are fine. But Linux hipsters that are gamers, sound crazy to me.

There's nothing hip about running Linux, its the opposite of hip. It's dense and requires an attention span. You have no idea what is in your Windows Updates nor what they do, you never delve beyond the surface of anything at all. Merry Christmas clueless gamer

Lump of coal for you hahaha.

If it works, it's good enough for me. There's nothing more to it. I could dig deeper but.. ehhh, why would I. I'm a gamer. Not a programmer.

And now that you mention it: Merry Christmas indeed, mate

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

26. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 10:28 RedEye9

Santa Claus wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 08:26:

I read your comment, and all I was thinking the entire time was: What did Windows ever do to you, that you would avoid it so religiously? It's like choosing to live your life in a wheelchair because you're pissed off at something your legs did when you were younger.

These days Windows just SPIES and you can't even disable it. It also forces you to slurp whatever updates they want and you no longer have any control. Some people might want to use their PC for something other than being an advertising metric for Microsoft. It's ok to admit you don't understand Linux too BTW, it takes more than 10 seconds to learn and appreciate which is probably too long for many people. Sorry that Linux took your lunch money.

Windows works fine. All games are compatible with it. I don't give a fuck about spying and Edward Snowden shouldn't have tried to be a fucking hero. That went off topic.

All I know is that Win10 works flawlessly and Windows updates (oooo Illuminati!) actually fix stability issues.

I have no problem with Windows because I have no problems with it. Never had. Linux hipsters are fine. But Linux hipsters that are gamers, sound crazy to me.

I like windows, but 10 is a total abomination, go ahead and stick you head in the sand but saying something is flawless just means your clueless.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

25. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 10:25 RedEye9

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 00:31:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 19:51:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 18:05:
Windows 7 support will end on the 13th of next month. While I assume they will release security patches that are critical for a short time, the sunset for it is here.

Windows 7 security patches will continue until January 14, 2020. Still got some life in her yet.

Provided you have an Extended Support contract. Do you?

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 00:31:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 19:51:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 18:05:
Windows 7 support will end on the 13th of next month. While I assume they will release security patches that are critical for a short time, the sunset for it is here.

Windows 7 security patches will continue until January 14, 2020. Still got some life in her yet.

Provided you have an Extended Support contract. Do you?
This is not that hard to understand. Support ends next month. Security patches continue for everyone until 2020, no Extended Support Contract needed.
Besides, who the heck uses microsoft support.
the facts
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Vaccines Cause Immunity
If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.

24. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 10:25 Megalodon

There's nothing hip about running Linux, its the opposite of hip. It's dense and requires an attention span. You have no idea what is in your Windows Updates nor what they do, you never delve beyond the surface of anything at all. Merry Christmas clueless gamer

Lump of coal for you hahaha.

23. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 09:20 Quinn

Santa Claus wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 08:26:

I read your comment, and all I was thinking the entire time was: What did Windows ever do to you, that you would avoid it so religiously? It's like choosing to live your life in a wheelchair because you're pissed off at something your legs did when you were younger.

These days Windows just SPIES and you can't even disable it. It also forces you to slurp whatever updates they want and you no longer have any control. Some people might want to use their PC for something other than being an advertising metric for Microsoft. It's ok to admit you don't understand Linux too BTW, it takes more than 10 seconds to learn and appreciate which is probably too long for many people. Sorry that Linux took your lunch money.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

22. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 08:35 Quinn

jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2015, 06:26:
YMMV.

It's also hundreds of dollars for a license. Linux is free.

Wait what hundreds? I paid 40 dollars for Win8.1 pro and upgraded it to Win10 for free.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

21. Re: Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition for Linux & OS X Dec 25, 2015, 08:26 Megalodon

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >