Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

My second replacement coffee cone arrived yesterday, which was my first experience with Amazon Prime free delivery on Sunday, which is something that will take some getting used to. I was a little pissed at the lack of padding on the first cone that was delivered, as it was completely destroyed, but the second one was completely intact, even though it was even less padded than the first. But now that I see it, I understand better why they didn't bother to swaddle this in packing material, as this thing seems about twice as thick and heavy as the one it replaced. I am more surprised that the first one they delivered broke when it fell, in fact I'm shocked it didn't chip the sidewalk. I'm pretty sure this piece of porcelain could stop a bullet.

Sturdy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Mr. Splibox: Christmas Story.
Wrath Of Zombies.
Stories: "Force Awakens" Has $238M Opening Weekend.
Wait, [Redacted] Appeared In The Force Awakens? Thanks nin.
Science: “I think this is the guy”—The complicated confidence of eyewitness memory.
Media: Steve Harvey Announces Wrong Winner of Miss Universe 2015.
LSD Microdosing in Silicon Valley.
Why Cats Sprint Out of the Room for No Apparent Reason.
Follow-up: "Game of Thrones" Adjusts After Controversy.
The Funnies: xkcd: Watson Medical Algorithm.

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

77. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2015, 21:44 Sepharo

nin wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 22:04:
Went ahead and snagged an imax ticket for next week. Thinking 3 times will be enough until it's released on blu. :)

Seeing it for a third time tonight. We have these MJR "Epic" screens around us that are actually bigger than IMAX. They use 2 4K projectors.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

76. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2015, 02:06 jdreyer

A couple of articles I agree with.

Kylo Ren Is Everything That Anakin Skywalker Should Have Been.

Yeah, Kylo Ren was both amazingly written and acted.

Jen Gerson: The problem with the new Star Wars film (no spoilers)

"Abrams, on the other hand, has all that technical talent, but, apparently none of Lucas’s vision."

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

75. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2015, 22:04 nin

Went ahead and snagged an imax ticket for next week. Thinking 3 times will be enough until it's released on blu.

74. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2015, 17:30 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 00:02:
FINE.

I'll go see it again and see if I like it any better the second time.

Snobby

It really is.

I can say after 3 viewings it is safe to say Lawrence Kasdan and JJ infused this film with multiple layers that only become obvious after many viewings. Each time, I left the theater with something new.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 2015, 17:40.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

73. SW: FA Dec 24, 2015, 12:33 RedEye9

Finally, I got to see it.
On a scale of 1-5, it's a 5, a 9 if it's rated 1-10.
Movie experience was almost ruined by some 30 yo hipsters whispering and looking at their phone. One of them changed seats several times during the show to visit.
Halfway thru I stood up, walked over to the group and asked them if "I was missing something because whatever they were doing sounded really interesting"
1/3 of the theater turned around and glanced, afterward there was total silence from the bozos.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

72. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2015, 00:02 jdreyer

FINE.

I'll go see it again and see if I like it any better the second time.

Snobby

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

71. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2015, 10:56 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 04:31:
That poster you made was pretty sweet. I meant to say that earlier.

Thanks! I think it would be amazing if they used it (the subtitle I mean, not the poster). I could say I contributed something to the official canon.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

70. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2015, 10:42 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 04:55:
Agree. A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are masterpieces. The plot progresses naturally from character motivations. There are no blatant prequel imitations or out-of-the-Blue coincidences the way there are in TFA.

Except George Lucas didn't write the screenplay for Empire Strikes Back. Lawrence Kasdan did. He also co-wrote the screenplay for The Force Awakens. If there was ever a person who GOT the essence and spirit of one of the best Star Wars films it would be Lawrence Kasdan. Based on that alone he's completely justified in writing The Force Awakens the way in which he did.

So for us in the beginning it was knowing why we were telling this story and it was to give people that sense of possibility and magic that we all felt when we first saw the original Star Wars. But I will just say that this is all to tell a new story, meaning it’s not a nostalgia trip. We had to go backward in order to go forwards.
No, no, no, NO! You don't need to go backwards! Just go forward! Tell us a new Goddamn story for Yodassake!!!

If you look at 4, 5, and 6 those are stories that continue – this is 7 – so the history of 7 will be what we’ve seen before. The fabric needs to be that which we’re familiar with in order to tell a brand new story.
Familiar is fine. EXACTLY THE SAME is not okay.

Did you like the first Avengers movie? Did you like Guardians of the Galaxy? Let's examine both.

Hostile alien army fights above a major city for control of an alien cube of unimaginable power. The army is led by a power mad genius bent on control and destruction.

Now let's compare the main cast of characters.

- Rocket, a genius builder of technology and weaponry (a.k.a. Tony Stark / Iron Man)
- Star Lord, a stoic warrior from another world (a.k.a. Thor)
- Gamora, an expert assassin with a questionable background (a.k.a. Black Widow)
- Groot, an exceedingly strong creature that crushes and destroys everything (a.k.a. Hulk)
- Drax the Destroyer, a warrior who seeks to avenge his family's death at the hands of an evil villian who is clearly out of his element (a.k.a. Captain America)

The conclusion is Guardians of the Galaxy is basically Avengers. If you said yes to liking both films don't you think it's a bit hypocritical to give a pass to Guardians of the Galaxy and yet you bash on The Force Awakens for basically doing the same thing?

Remixes aren't a bad thing. Sometimes a remix can turn out to be better than the original. Example:

1. Dan Croll - From Nowhere
2. Dan Croll - From Nowhere (Baardsen Remix) - used in GTA5 PC trailer

In my humble opinion The Force Awakens is better than the source material in every way. I say this having been an old school Star Wars fan (saw the original trilogy in theaters when I was a kid) where Empire Strikes Back, for the longest time, WAS my favorite Star Wars film. TFA replaced it.

This comment was edited on Dec 24, 2015, 17:38.

69. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2015, 08:35 nin

Dupe, caffeine please.  

68. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2015, 08:34 nin

jdreyer wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 04:30:
That rating means shit. Some other movies that got 95% or better:
- The Artist (Godawful and gimmicky)
- Boyhood (Total gimmick)
- The Social Network (Not bad, but 95?)
- Exit Through the Gift Shop (Can't believe people fell for this shit)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 (WTF)
- Snowpiercer (I loved this, but I know many hated it)
- The Lego movie (which I liked, but 96%?)
- Jodorowsky's Dune (Yes, good, but 98 freakin' %?)
- Star Trek reboot (which I liked, but 95%???)

No it doesn't. It means that people really liked those movies. And this only reinforces the point that if you don't like what a lot of other people liked, the problem isn't with those other people. You simply have different tastes. But don't try and say "Everyone else is clearly wrong because I didn't think those movies were that great!"

67. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2015, 08:14 Ecthelion

there's no comedy since C3PO's lines are wince-inducing.
This is why Star Wars "fans" (by this I mean people who are nostalgic for the original trilogy, but refuse to admit their faults, hating everything since) are impossible to please. C-3PO's line about the red arm was great, and Finn and Han had lots of funny lines (Finn pretending to be in the Resistance, Han talking to the pirates, etc.). The movie has its faults, but the dialog was on par with the originals. There was nothing on the order of "I don't like sand" here.

66. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2015, 07:55 Sepharo

A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are masterpieces. The plot progresses naturally from character motivations. There are no blatant prequel imitations or out-of-the-Blue coincidences the way there are in TFA.

You know why this is right?

65. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2015, 04:55 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 16:17:
'When Kathy Kennedy, Larry and I started talking about what this was at the very beginning the fundamental question was “what do we want to feel?” and “what do we want people to feel when they came to this movie?” That was really the beginning of the discussion. The answer was the kind of sense of discovery, exhilaration, surprise, the comedy that George Lucas put into Star Wars was the thing that made me love the movie.
Well, they got the exhilaration right, but there's no discovery since every location is identical, there's no surprise since every story beat is identical, and there's no comedy since C3PO's lines are wince-inducing. 1 out of 4 is 25%. In school, you'd be repeating the grade for that.

When you look at all the things that he got right it’s impossible and stunning.
Agree. A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back are masterpieces. The plot progresses naturally from character motivations. There are no blatant prequel imitations or out-of-the-Blue coincidences the way there are in TFA.

So for us in the beginning it was knowing why we were telling this story and it was to give people that sense of possibility and magic that we all felt when we first saw the original Star Wars. But I will just say that this is all to tell a new story, meaning it’s not a nostalgia trip. We had to go backward in order to go forwards.
No, no, no, NO! You don't need to go backwards! Just go forward! Tell us a new Goddamn story for Yodassake!!!

If you look at 4, 5, and 6 those are stories that continue – this is 7 – so the history of 7 will be what we’ve seen before. The fabric needs to be that which we’re familiar with in order to tell a brand new story.
Familiar is fine. EXACTLY THE SAME is not okay.

Adam Driver talks about Kylo Ren
As I mentioned, I felt this was the only character with a believable personality and arc.

64. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2015, 04:32 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 17:15:
nin wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 14:50:
"Don't Be A Cutter!"
Dammit man, did you just make my next signature.

How are the allergies doing? Red Eye is an apt name for you currently.

63. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2015, 04:31 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 16:32:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 13:21:
Second, Anakin did bring balance to the force by killing Palpatine.

In the film it states, in the opening crawler, that Luke Skywalker is the last Jedi. Vader killed Palpatine leaving a power vacuum in favor of dark side like elements. This is why Luke was trying to rebuild the Jedi. A corruption and betrayal of one of his pupils is also what lead to the end of this pursuit. However, the goal of rebuilding the Jedi is what will ultimately bring balance to the force. Since Luke is the only one who can do this he literally is the "one who will bring balance to the Force".

I'm probably wrong. I don't know. It's just fun to speculate based on brand new Star Wars material again.

That poster you made was pretty sweet. I meant to say that earlier.

62. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2015, 04:30 jdreyer

The concept of "someone plucked from obscurity to go on and play a pivotal role in a grand story" is something that's a recurring theme.
Would that be all they had done, I'd have been fine with it. Instead it was "someone plucked from obscurity using the same locations, same shots, same villains, and same story beats from the first movie with at least THREE deus ex machina plot devices (Han finding the Falcon, Maz having Luke's saber, R2 having the map) to move the story along to it's identical recurring conclusion."
The bottom line was myself and seemingly about 95% of the reviews over at RT had an awesome time with. If someone didn't like that, maybe Star Wars isn't their thing any more...
That rating means shit. Some other movies that got 95% or better:
- The Artist (Godawful and gimmicky)
- Boyhood (Total gimmick)
- The Social Network (Not bad, but 95?)
- Exit Through the Gift Shop (Can't believe people fell for this shit)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 (WTF)
- Snowpiercer (I loved this, but I know many hated it)
- The Lego movie (which I liked, but 96%?)
- Jodorowsky's Dune (Yes, good, but 98 freakin' %?)
- Star Trek reboot (which I liked, but 95%???)

There's a theme here with Star Wars and Star Trek. Abrams makes something that doesn't suck and suddenly every one thinks it's the best thing since man invented fire and drew fucking mammoths on cave walls.

Also, not even The Dark Knight got 95 fucking %! TFA is better than TDK???

"Don't Be A Cutter!"
I already told you, I'm joining Cutter on the Dark Side. Join us, nin. Together we can rule the galaxy as nin and JDreyer. We'll put Cutter in chains and make him wear the metal bikini.

61. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2015, 20:31 bigspender

Kxmode wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 16:25:
You're probably right but I don't think Disney should dumb down the movie. Most people are intelligent.

LOL maybe in a galaxy far far away.... but not in this solar system.

The mean IQ globally is 89... which is not good, and it's predicted to drop to 86 which some consider borderline mental retardation.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2015, 20:38.

60. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2015, 17:15 RedEye9

"Don't Be A Cutter!"
Dammit man, did you just make my next signature.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

59. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2015, 16:32 Kxmode

Second, Anakin did bring balance to the force by killing Palpatine.

In the film it states, in the opening crawler, that Luke Skywalker is the last Jedi. Vader killed Palpatine leaving a power vacuum in favor of dark side like elements. This is why Luke was trying to rebuild the Jedi. A corruption and betrayal of one of his pupils is also what lead to the end of this pursuit. However, the goal of rebuilding the Jedi is what will ultimately bring balance to the force. Since Luke is the only one who can do this he literally is the "one who will bring balance to the Force".

I'm probably wrong. I don't know. It's just fun to speculate based on brand new Star Wars material again.

58. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2015, 16:25 Kxmode

Kxmode wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 11:36:
Go easy on me. I'm just having fun.
Well, I think the word "equilibrium" is way too long for a Star Wars movie title. Disney is too conservative a company to greenlight that.

You're probably right but I don't think Disney should dumb down the movie. Most people are intelligent. It's Star Wars. Kids will learn a new word. I remember learning the word determination in 4th grade. I always thought that was a cool word! It was so large and mature sounding. Kids will love "equilibrium" once they learn what it means. It's a beautiful word that perfectly describes what's happening with the force: "a state in which opposing forces or actions are balanced so that one is not stronger or greater than the other".

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2015, 16:36.

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo