Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets

The Roberts Space Industries website has a new trailer called "From Pupil to Planet" showing off procedurally generated planets in Star Citizen, Cloud Imperium's upcoming space game. The clip features a flyover of a planet and an explanation of the various elements their system will generate.

View
79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

59. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 21:46 CJ_Parker

Razumen wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 16:27:
Also, I believe he's said Squadron 42 will be out by 2016, afaik they're being more cautious now about the release date for the persistent universe.

Nope. Just a few weeks back at Gamescom in August Chris Roberts said that the FULL persistent universe will be "working and functioning" by the end of 2016.

So thanks a lot for the opportunity to post my favorite "Lies from Christ Roberts Superstar" video. You can listen to his exact words right here.

Full PU, i.e. 100 star systems, everything. Working and functioning by the end of 2016.

OK, Chris... only 99.5 star systems to go and a few dozen complex gameplay systems. Sure. No problem. You guys have been tripping these past three years. Speedy Gonzales is chicken shit compared to you guys. You'll probably pull this off even if everyone only works half-time from now on. Of course. Go for it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 19:24 JohnnyRotten

descender wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 16:37:
You would think someone with a few hundred dollars invested in a space sim would literally know that light years are a measure of distance.

It's the comment that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs

57. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 19:11 Vall Forran

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 19:05:
You would think someone with a few hundred dollars invested in a space sim would literally know that light years are a measure of distance.

I laughed. We are 18 Trillion kilometers from being finished.

This is why I avoid the word "literally".

56. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 19:05 Tipsy McStagger

I laughed. We are 18 Trillion kilometers from being finished.

55. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 18:35 bigspender

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 10:31:
I've been cynical on this game in the past and I'm big enough to admit this is sexy as hell. Amazing atmosphere rendering, love the planetary glow from orbit view.

Agreed. This is the first thing I've seen from RSI that has stunned me.

EDIT: The main challenge of Star Citizen will of course be filling the entire universe with interesting things to do. Most open world and procedurally generated world games have only a few game mechanics to play with. There might be a near infinite amount of slightly different circumstances to use the few mechanics in, and there are often mechanics that build up the base mechanics in order to make it more involved, but after a while it becomes clear that you are really just doing the same thing over and over, and it you always find the most efficient way of doing it, and it becomes routine.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2015, 18:44.

54. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 17:16 Razumen

thecakeisalie wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 16:59:
Razumen wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 16:57:
thecakeisalie wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 16:35:
I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll either die of old age or this project will run out of cash before we see anything resembling a finished product as pitched by Christ Roberts. While pretty, this video was another tech demo in a nearly endless stream of tech demos from CIG.

The Alpha 2.0 "Persistent Universe" is a buggy mess that I gave up trying to play (crashes constantly). I get chuckles when people try to stream it on Twitch because if they can keep it stable for longer than 15 minutes it's a miracle.

No shit, it's an alpha, do you even have a basic grasp of how game development world?

Maybe you should lay off on the Hateorade bro.

Ha, nice try. Of all the people here, I'm the least likely to be imbibing of said substance.

53. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 17:14 Razumen

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 17:05:
Vio wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 16:34:
Sigh, all we wanted was squadron 42 with some freelancer thrown in... but noooo.

According to the fanboys you really didn't. You wanted some MMO/FPS hybrid that ostensibly takes place in space, sorta kinda.

And yet Squadron 42 is still coming, imagine that.

52. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 17:05 Cutter

Vio wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 16:34:
Sigh, all we wanted was squadron 42 with some freelancer thrown in... but noooo.

According to the fanboys you really didn't. You wanted some MMO/FPS hybrid that ostensibly takes place in space, sorta kinda.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

51. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 16:59 thecakeisalie

Razumen wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 16:57:
I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll either die of old age or this project will run out of cash before we see anything resembling a finished product as pitched by Christ Roberts. While pretty, this video was another tech demo in a nearly endless stream of tech demos from CIG.

The Alpha 2.0 "Persistent Universe" is a buggy mess that I gave up trying to play (crashes constantly). I get chuckles when people try to stream it on Twitch because if they can keep it stable for longer than 15 minutes it's a miracle.

No shit, it's an alpha, do you even have a basic grasp of how game development world?

Maybe you should lay off on the Hateorade bro.

50. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 16:57 Razumen

49. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 16:39 RedEye9

Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 15:28:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 13:00:
Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 12:50:
Who cares? All people wanted

I shudder at the thought of you speaking for everyone.

Too bad. Life would be so much better if I were God.

Some things can't be unread. Need to wirebrush my brain.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

48. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 16:37 descender

47. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 16:35 thecakeisalie

46. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 16:34 Vio

45. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 16:32 NasWulf

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 16:13:
We are literally lightyears away from the game they pitched and that's been expanded like mad via the stretch goals.

Fixed ...

44. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 16:27 Razumen

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 16:13:
Razumen wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 14:21:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 13:37:
Wolfox wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 13:24:
Maniac wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 12:10:
Wolfox wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 11:18:
Oh look, Star Citizen now has a feature that's been implemented years ago in Evochron, a game with a total budget probably around 0.1% of the Star Citizen budget?

Yeah, that's mighty impressive.

I first saw seamless planetary landings in Elite 2, their budget was even smaller. Your point is?

My point is that what they showed is not impressive at all to me, mostly because people with a much smaller budget have already done it (arguably) better. One could argue that Star Citizen's procedural generation *looks* better, but in this particular case I can't even go there - at least not yet.

It doesn't look better at all. Note how blurry and shitty and low-res everything starts to look the further they zoom out and there is a reason why it goes black which is to hide the extreme shittiness of it all.
And yeah you can find dozens of similar videos on YouTube like this one for example. It's not really impressive at all until they have an actual game and people can actually fly into and out of space ports like that. You know, more than one guy.
Wake me up when they've made this work within the context of the greater game and where this actually works out being fun for people and trolls don't camp the landing platforms, ram people on approach and all the obstacles that come with MMO gaming.

We're years away from seeing any of this in the game. The only reason they haphazardly slapped this together was definitely just to piss all over the E:D Horizons parade. The timing is too obvious and it's now also obvious that Christ Roberts lied yet again when he said they have a lot of respect for Frontier and Elite Dangerous.

This has been a milestone for awhile now, it has nothing to do with Elite. Everything you've said is just painting your own words over factual information.

They already DO have a game out with more than one person, with spaceports, etc. Granted, it's buggy, but it's still in alpha obviously.

Of course, critics (like you) will always keep moving their goalposts back in a ever increasingly desperate attempt to keep their inane nitpicking relevant.

Wrong, dude. I want this shit to succeed cuz I'm in it at physical CE level plus a starter ship Mustang package. Lotsa dough. Day 1 account, golden ticket, the whole nine yards.

However, I will keep giving CIG shit as long as they just show flashy trailers with zero substance to the easy-to-impress mouthbreathers with big wallets instead of actually delivering a playable game.

We are literally lightyears away from the game they pitched and that's been expanded like mad via the stretch goals. Yet their retarded lying shitbag CEO says it will be done by the end of 2016.

You know, you can delay a game all you like. Fine with me. But I'm not that willing to accept outright lies. If you are easily impressed and enjoy being lied to, well, more power to you. Enjoy your flashy trailers of shit that might never make it to the game (in that form) and make sure to open that wallet some more. Chris will love you for it and include you in his prayers every night before banging Sandi. Promise.

LOL! They introduce an new implementation of a whole milestone and you count it as zero substance. Oh god, my sides...

Also, I believe he's said Squadron 42 will be out by 2016, afaik they're being more cautious now about the release date for the persistent universe.

43. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 16:27 Quboid

CJ_Parker (emphasis Quboid) wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 16:13:
We are literally lightyears away from the game they pitched

I presume 1 light-year corresponds to 10,000 years (approximately the amount of time it takes Earth to travel 1ly), so if we're literally light-years away, you think that this won't be finished for at least 20,000 years?

Sounds about right!
I'm fun at parties!

42. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 16:23 NKD

I really wish this game hadn't made so much money. They could have made a super cool game with 5% of the funding they've rounded up. They could have done something legendary with 10%.

But this much money in the hands of people who don't know how to properly spend it will just lead to an ambitious collection of tech demos.

When the game fails, I hope they sell or license out some of the tech they've created because there's some good stuff in there.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

41. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 16:13 CJ_Parker

Razumen wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 14:21:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 13:37:
Wolfox wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 13:24:
Maniac wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 12:10:
Wolfox wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 11:18:
Oh look, Star Citizen now has a feature that's been implemented years ago in Evochron, a game with a total budget probably around 0.1% of the Star Citizen budget?

Yeah, that's mighty impressive.

I first saw seamless planetary landings in Elite 2, their budget was even smaller. Your point is?

My point is that what they showed is not impressive at all to me, mostly because people with a much smaller budget have already done it (arguably) better. One could argue that Star Citizen's procedural generation *looks* better, but in this particular case I can't even go there - at least not yet.

It doesn't look better at all. Note how blurry and shitty and low-res everything starts to look the further they zoom out and there is a reason why it goes black which is to hide the extreme shittiness of it all.
And yeah you can find dozens of similar videos on YouTube like this one for example. It's not really impressive at all until they have an actual game and people can actually fly into and out of space ports like that. You know, more than one guy.
Wake me up when they've made this work within the context of the greater game and where this actually works out being fun for people and trolls don't camp the landing platforms, ram people on approach and all the obstacles that come with MMO gaming.

We're years away from seeing any of this in the game. The only reason they haphazardly slapped this together was definitely just to piss all over the E:D Horizons parade. The timing is too obvious and it's now also obvious that Christ Roberts lied yet again when he said they have a lot of respect for Frontier and Elite Dangerous.

This has been a milestone for awhile now, it has nothing to do with Elite. Everything you've said is just painting your own words over factual information.

They already DO have a game out with more than one person, with spaceports, etc. Granted, it's buggy, but it's still in alpha obviously.

Of course, critics (like you) will always keep moving their goalposts back in a ever increasingly desperate attempt to keep their inane nitpicking relevant.

Wrong, dude. I want this shit to succeed cuz I'm in it at physical CE level plus a starter ship Mustang package. Lotsa dough. Day 1 account, golden ticket, the whole nine yards.

However, I will keep giving CIG shit as long as they just show flashy trailers with zero substance to the easy-to-impress mouthbreathers with big wallets instead of actually delivering a playable game.

We are literally lightyears away from the game they pitched and that's been expanded like mad via the stretch goals. Yet their retarded lying shitbag CEO says it will be done by the end of 2016.

You know, you can delay a game all you like. Fine with me. But I'm not that willing to accept outright lies. If you are easily impressed and enjoy being lied to, well, more power to you. Enjoy your flashy trailers of shit that might never make it to the game (in that form) and make sure to open that wallet some more. Chris will love you for it and include you in his prayers every night before banging Sandi. Promise.

40. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 16:11 eRe4s3r

KS wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 13:34:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 10:47:
DS admitting he is wrong? Please, you want some elves for that fanciful fantasy?

That's pretty damn impressive, but personally I don't care about planets with nothing interesting on them (See Elite Horizons or even KSP) to me that is super lazy game development. Procedural content is not real content, its just fluff that hides that there is nothing underneath the surface of a game in terms of content. But then some people love that in elite.. just hope SC is not going that route. And hey, as KSP shows us, handcrafted height-map based planets (so no caves or arching rock formations) with zero detail ain't better either...

Procedural planets are just the start. Go read Reamde from Neal Stephenson. In there, they have a massive virtual world where planets are not just procedural in a fractal sort of way, but generated from real-world physics, lava and volcanism and plate techtonics, with real, natural depositon of resource veins, and populated by real functioning ecosystems and evolution.

Imagine a still better world where there is a nation of a hundred million orcs, and they are resource hungry and nasty and spreading. No "spawn points", real virtual organisms breeding and spreading and harvesting and building and...harvesting you because you are in the way.

Where is that freaking game? Screw spawn points and theme parks and tank/heal/dps and magically reapearing resource nodes and inability to climb anything.

I admit that that would be awesome to play.. on a supercomputer 1000x times faster than current rigs anyway

79 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo