Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access

Steam News announces the launch of Elite Dangerous: Horizons as an early access release, saying: "Elite Dangerous: Horizons is a new season of major expansions for the incredible, connected, player-driven Elite Dangerous galaxy. Blaze a new trail starting now with Planetary Landings - Loot & Crafting, Multi-crew, Commander Creation and more to come." Here's more on those landings:

It starts with Planetary Landings, an unprecedented, vast new experience that lets you journey seamlessly from space to any point on the surfaces of accurately simulated planets and moons throughout Elite Dangerous’ multi-player, cut-throat, full scale re-creation of the 34th century Milky Way galaxy.

Coast over mountaintops, dive into canyons and drive the new Scarab SRV wheeled vehicle. Each 1:1 scale world offers incredible vistas and plentiful gameplay opportunities; Discover valuable resources, experience deadly combat encounters, raid bases, scout crash sites and co-operate with other players, both on the planet surface and flying high above.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 18, 2015, 14:07 Flatline

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 23:23:
Flatline wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 18:06:
So dick-waving about whether or not Elite promised an offline mode at first (It did, and it was a big stink), has anyone played Horizons? What gameplay does it add?

I played the hell out of the original but eventually burned out on it. So far I've seen bases and planet exploration. What exactly do the outposts *do* and what's the purpose of landing on a planet?

There are two versions of missions now. You can do a normal mission, or a surface mission. The missions have gotten tweaked to be a bit more interesting, but I'd be lying if I said they are that much different.

They released a bunch of new ships...ranging from super cheap to crazy expensive. There's a fed and empire version of the anaconda now.

Some quests have you deliver goods to a planetary outpost. Not really any different from a normal station, but it's pretty cool.

They also added a ton of new modules. Different shield types...like ones that aren't as strong, but recharge 300x faster. New guns and goodies.

Still the same game. If you didn't like it then, you won't like it now.

Thank you for the reply. I'll probably wait because my life is busy and I would be wasting money at this point.

It sounds like bases are not used for much more than delivery points and maybe attack targets. Can you set one up? Do the bases, say, mine minerals?

The game needs resource generation and the ability to own facilities like X and then I'll get back into it. Because if you can find a mineral rich planet and plunk down an outpost to extract from, you suddenly have reasons for factions to get into some pretty nasty fights. Even if planetary development was handled through the powerplay factions I could dig that.

I understand and generally am okay with not allowing that with space stations. They are gargantuan and represent billions of credits of infrastructure. But factions at least should be able to deploy outposts, and allied players should be able to develop and use them for resources.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 17, 2015, 10:34 eRe4s3r

DangerDog wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 13:51:
If they had implemented offline single player people would have pirated the crap out of the game, we all know that's the reason it's not there.

And modders would have made a better game experience for everyone...

43. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 23:23 Vall Forran

So dick-waving about whether or not Elite promised an offline mode at first (It did, and it was a big stink), has anyone played Horizons? What gameplay does it add?

I played the hell out of the original but eventually burned out on it. So far I've seen bases and planet exploration. What exactly do the outposts *do* and what's the purpose of landing on a planet?

There are two versions of missions now. You can do a normal mission, or a surface mission. The missions have gotten tweaked to be a bit more interesting, but I'd be lying if I said they are that much different.

They released a bunch of new ships...ranging from super cheap to crazy expensive. There's a fed and empire version of the anaconda now.

Some quests have you deliver goods to a planetary outpost. Not really any different from a normal station, but it's pretty cool.

They also added a ton of new modules. Different shield types...like ones that aren't as strong, but recharge 300x faster. New guns and goodies.

Still the same game. If you didn't like it then, you won't like it now.

42. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 18:57 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 12:23:
HorrorScope wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 10:11:
To me this is an excessive cost ($60) for an add on.

EA comes from the Steam page, that is what it states.

The $60 price is for the full game: The original E:D plus the Horizons expansion.

You are correct. It is $45 for many owners of Elite today that didn't get in on the KS deal, imo that is too high. This is more specific and accurate saying it this way.

41. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 18:11 Bundy

I'd like to know this too. I'm afraid the response from the fanbase will still be to use your imagination and pretend interesting things are happening.

40. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 18:06 Flatline

39. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 16:32 jimeh

That 8gig patch is the 1.5 ships update and 64bit client. It includes some new mission types and stuff too and it's the last update for the base games "season".  

38. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 13:51 DangerDog

If they had implemented offline single player people would have pirated the crap out of the game, we all know that's the reason it's not there.  

37. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 12:23 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 10:11:

The $60 price is for the full game: The original E:D plus the Horizons expansion.

Stay a while, and listen.

36. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 10:32 CJ_Parker

$60 is a fair new game price for Horizons for newcomers since it naturally includes the whole base game and galaxy but Frontier should definitely work on a system where they check whether you own the game and then offer an expansion price ($30 max) for people who do own it. Same for all future expansions, too. And then they need to make the whole check work on their own store as well as Steam, of course.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2015, 10:38.

35. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 10:29 Burrito of Peace

Correct me if I am wrong but the 8.1GB "update" that I just downloaded is Horizons even though I didn't buy Horizons, just the base game for $15 bucks when it was on sale recently?

Why the Hell would I need to download a program that I won't have access to?

It's early, I have no caffeine, and I'm somewhat confused.

34. Re: Endless Space 2 Announced Dec 16, 2015, 10:26 Zanthar

Bitterbug wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 00:28:
A couple of weeks ago you could pre-order Horizons with a discount if you owned the base game. It coincided with the Steam sale, so made scooping them both up a no-brainer.

For half the cost of a subscription based MMO you get an MMO that lets you decide whether you just want to play Solo, Play only with friends, or jump into the community populated area -- whichever suits your mood at any time.

I sure as heck don't have a problem paying the seasonal amount for Horizons with the current and planned features over the next year. Then the user discount will be available for the next season.

And my MMO fix will only cost me about 5 bucks a month. And I'm finding this a lot more fun than Eve. It's not flawless, and still needs some features like an in-game trade calucator (rather than third party), but solid and fun.

MMO? Don't make me laugh. The chances of running into the occasional human player are VERY low. I liked ED, but not enough pay $50 for a half finished(not even half) expansion every year. I really hope they go bankrupt with this stunt.

33. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 10:13 HorrorScope

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 23:42:
If you are a beta backer or sooner, you get everything they release for free. If you're one of those guys who paid $150 (or more) to kickstart the game, it's paying off now.

Right. Great for them, really. But that isn't what the convo is about, it's about them asking $60 for this, whatever, probably as boring as shit anyway.

Also, they still tried to schyster people with that original Elite trailer.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2015, 10:45.

32. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 10:11 HorrorScope

31. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 09:44 NetHead

Moog wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 08:28:
Arithon wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 04:12:
Horizons was released yesterday - NOT EARLY ACCESS, BLUE YOUR HEADLINE IS WRONG..
You might want to tell Frontier that, give they're selling it as EA to existing players in the spam mail I just got...
You'll see we have initially termed Elite Dangerous: Horizons an 'Early Access'

One could also have a look at what is linked and see how very clearly it's released and labeled as an "Early Access Game" on the Steam site.

I only just followed the game, taking in news as it appeared and not going out to find it, and even I remember it was going have offline single player. I also remember the disappointment of many when they went back on that. Infact the backtracking on the offline singleplayer was possibly the biggest (most widely reported) news about the game (other than the game itself being made) because it was all over the place, leaving many unhappy people in its wake.

How someone who is a clearly such a fan of it and so likely followed it as it progressed, can seemingly be unaware of such things is, well interesting is one way to put it.

30. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 09:38 nin

Offline mode: Offline was NEVER a promised feature. The game was ALWAYS sold as an online multiplayer game. Anyone who says different is lying or is misled. Read the Kickstarter proposal.

Here ya go, emphasis mine:

How will single player work? Will I need to connect to a server to play?

The galaxy for Elite: Dangerous is a shared universe maintained by a central server. All of the meta data for the galaxy is shared between players. This includes the galaxy itself as well as transient information like economies. The aim here is that a player's actions will influence the development of the galaxy, without necessarily having to play multiplayer.

The other important aspect for us is that we can seed the galaxy with events, often these events will be triggered by player actions. With a living breathing galaxy players can discover new and interesting things long after they have started playing.

Update! The above is the intended single player experience. However it will be possible to have a single player game without connecting to the galaxy server. You won't get the features of the evolving galaxy (although we will investigate minimising those differences) and you probably won't be able to sync between server and non-server (again we'll investigate).

That's from the KS front page FAQ.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

29. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 09:33  dsmart 

Horizons was released yesterday - NOT EARLY ACCESS, BLUE YOUR HEADLINE IS WRONG - Horizons was shipped after several weeks of beta, where 6 major updates were issued to address bugs and player feedback.

uhmmmm...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/419270/

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

28. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 09:28 Alamar

Moog wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 08:28:
Horizons was released yesterday - NOT EARLY ACCESS, BLUE YOUR HEADLINE IS WRONG - Horizons was shipped after several weeks of beta, where 6 major updates were issued to address bugs and player feedback.
You might want to tell Frontier that, give they're selling it as EA to existing players in the spam mail I just got...
You'll see we have initially termed Elite Dangerous: Horizons an 'Early Access' release to highlight our normal process of rapid build support to our broad audience, many of who have joined our community very recently.

Plus, that handy link above to Steam that shows Early Access Game in a big blue, very obvious, bar...

27. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 08:28 Moog

You'll see we have initially termed Elite Dangerous: Horizons an 'Early Access' release to highlight our normal process of rapid build support to our broad audience, many of who have joined our community very recently.

26. Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizons Early Access Dec 16, 2015, 07:21 Moog

Asmodai wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 06:57:
And being right on the internet is totally worth coming across like an entitled wanker... ; )
What the fuck is "entitled" about wanting what was promised in the original KS!

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo