Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

System Shock 3 Announced

Otherside Entertainment officially announces System Shock 3, following teases last week indicating a third installment in the action/RPG series is coming. Here's what they are revealing for now about the plan:

OtherSide Entertainment, the development studio behind the upcoming fantasy RPG Underworld Ascendant, is excited to officially announce development on System Shock 3, the sequel to the landmark System Shock series.

Last week, OtherSide posted a teaser website (www.othersidetease.com ) with cryptic lettering hinting at a new game. Internet hackers quickly cracked the site, prematurely revealing the game’s title. As part of the fun, series’ AI antagonist SHODAN appeared to mock the hackers with new taunts each day.

On the updated teaser site today, fans can hear popular voice actress Terri Brosius (System Shock 1 & 2, Dishonored) reprise her role as the voice of SHODAN and see an early peek at the evolving ‘next generation’ look of the character by artist Robb Waters.

Key members of the original System Shock and System Shock 2 teams will be part of the sequel. This includes Paul Neurath, who oversaw the original series’ development; Nate Wells, a senior artist on System Shock 2; and Waters, the lead concept artist of both original games.

The path to bring the System Shock franchise forward was long and winding. Several years back, OtherSide secured the exclusive IP rights to all future versions of the franchise. Only recently, through partnership with Night Dive Studios, who owns the System Shock trademark, did OtherSide get the rights to use the System Shock name for the sequel.

System Shock 3 is currently in the early concept stages of development. Fans can register on the teaser site (www.othersidetease.com ) to receive updates as they become available. For more information on OtherSide Entertainment, please see these links:

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/OtherSideEntertainment
Twitter: Twitter.com/OtherSide_Games
YouTube: www.YouTube.com/channel/UCpa4L_96ElAgH1hit3aya9w
Twitch: www.Twitch.tv/otherside_entertainment

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 15, 2015, 05:06 Qbex .

Awesome news!
I'm cautiously hopeful for both this and Underworld Ascendant.
I like their direction with UA - more about systems and less about shiny graphics. My only concern is danger of running out of funds to finish those games :/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 15, 2015, 02:33 InBlack

Pray to the gods of gaming that this does not end up sucking balls. I'm hopeful, but if its just a rehash of the games of old its not going to be that great. They need to do something new with the story at least and Im hopeful they wouldn't attempt one for just a cash grab.  

I have a nifty blue line!

37. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 15, 2015, 00:27 nin

Roachmojo wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 00:14:
Holy crap....is it really finally happening..?

It is. And the fact that they have folks that worked on the previous games is a huge plus.

Fingers crossed.

36. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 15, 2015, 00:14 Roachmojo

Holy crap....is it really finally happening..?  

35. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 14, 2015, 23:56 PHJF

Oh wow, "creative advisor"... I stand corrected.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

34. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 14, 2015, 23:51 Zanderat1

PHJF wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 22:44:
Warren Spector isn't involved or even mentioned anywhere.
Ahem. https://www.underworldascendant.com/the-game/team.php

33. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 14, 2015, 22:44 PHJF

Warren Spector isn't involved or even mentioned anywhere. Paul Neurath's company has been making phone games for the past decade. The Many is withholding judgement until OtherSide has something concrete.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

32. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 14, 2015, 22:39 Bumpy

Looking forward to pressing Start first thing and not unplugging my PC during saving.

I have ZERO hope or faith. Period.

31. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 14, 2015, 22:28 Zanderat1

Overon wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 18:18:
"Look you hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect and immortal machine?"

But I'm concerned about these devs. I don't see a good track record with PC games. I hope it's not another low quality cash grab palying off the franchise name.
LOL! (sarcasm mode on) Warren Spector and Paul Neurath have a terrible track record for making pc games (sarcasm mode off).

Wow.

30. No subject Dec 14, 2015, 21:54 Mashiki Amiketo

Kajetan wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 11:40:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 11:35:
Well I can hold out hope, but I get the feeling it'll be dumbed down for today's idiot generation of console players.
Why should they do this? This is not a project from an AAA publisher, who has to sell millions of copies just to break even.

To reach a large target audience, because they believe that the games original mechanics are dated and so on. I hope I'm wrong, I really do. But look at the Xcom remake for example.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

29. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 14, 2015, 19:59 Fantaz

so happy this is getting made!

PC only please!

28. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 14, 2015, 18:18 Overon

"Look you hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect and immortal machine?"

But I'm concerned about these devs. I don't see a good track record with PC games. I hope it's not another low quality cash grab palying off the franchise name.

27. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 14, 2015, 16:56 Ludomancer

Squirmer wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 16:38:
They were mocking that trend even, saying the next step might be a button to teleport to the objective.

Nah, the new trend is Twitch (or Let's Plays!); passive gaming.

How fucking meta is that shit?

26. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 14, 2015, 16:38 Squirmer

NKD wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 12:22:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 11:35:
Well I can hold out hope, but I get the feeling it'll be dumbed down for today's idiot generation of console players.

I really doubt they'll be releasing this for consoles. System Shock has no value beyond being a cult classic PC game, particularly as a sequel from a small developer as opposed to a reboot from a large one. Their current game they are working on is also PC only.

That said, you need to "dumb down" for PC as well. A lot of the questionable design decisions of System Shock 2 will not fly today, even for most of the people who actually enjoyed System Shock 2. Such as being able to make it so you can't complete the game, the shitty crafting system, the radically imbalanced skills, etc.

I like what I've heard from Otherside about this kind of thing. I was watching one of their let's play videos the other day, where they play some other games and talk about their design. They were criticizing the modern trend of having a big arrow point to the next objective. They didn't mention names, but they could easily have been criticizing Bioshock. They were mocking that trend even, saying the next step might be a button to teleport to the objective.

25. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 14, 2015, 14:51 Fion

I... AM... SHODAN!

Creepiest moment in my gaming life. SS2 has always been toward the top of my favorite games ever list and while I've never played anything from these guys I sure as hell expect a smaller studio can make a tight, complex sequel to System Shock 2 over the likes of EA or Activision.

24. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 14, 2015, 14:36 Prez

Normally I'd agree with you Ludomancer but SHODAN is too awesome a villain to let die forever.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 14, 2015, 14:11 Ludomancer

Can we do something different? I have been waiting for SS3 for a long time, but not SHODAN. Let a fucking victory from one of the past games stand!

22. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 14, 2015, 14:06 Instant Karma

Just hearing her voice again gave me shivers...love it.
Hope they do it justice.

21. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 14, 2015, 13:25 Task

I wonder if this will be a Kickstarter or not.

SHODAN survived by taking over the body of Rebecca Siddons, which is creepy enough. SOLDIER G65434-2, the player character, should also be alive.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

20. Re: System Shock 3 Announced Dec 14, 2015, 12:59 nin

Prez wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 12:53:
Yay! SHODAN remains the best game villain ever.

Prez! It's a game you don't own (yet)!

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo