Star Citizen Nears $100M

Cloud Imperium Games follows yesterday's release of Alpha 2.0 of Star Citizen with an official announcement about the new version that includes news that the game is approaching the $100 million mark in crowdfunding. As of this writing the stretch goals page for the space combat and exploration game show it has raised $99,949,120, so they're just a couple of $25K ships from their next plateau. There's also a new Monthly Studio Report on the Roberts Space Industries website with the latest on the game itself. Back to the new announcement, it has a renewed emphasis on their crowdfunding success, something they seem to have downplayed lately. Word is:
Fans of Star Citizen continue to support the game in record numbers. There are now more than one-million “citizens.” There are more than 32-thousand fan-created organizations, the largest of which numbers more than 11-thousand people. Many players are active participants in forums, fan events, live streams, social media, and other events designed to give backers direct access to the dev team creating the game.

“We are forever grateful for our backers and fans,” said Roberts. “They been there from the beginning when we launched Star Citizen’s funding campaign three years ago. And they’ve helped create the most passionate and loyal community in our industry. They are helping us every step along the way in creating the best damn space sim ever.”

Star Citizen is 100% crowd funded and was officially announced on October 10, 2012. The money raised pays for the development of the game including the Roberts Space Industries platform where fans and backers can interact with the team, view multiple weekly webcasts about Star Citizen, learn about the story behind the game, read constant updates on the game’s progress and much more. Star Citizen is recognized by Guinness World Records as the top crowd funded project and game in the world. People interested in backing the project can do so at http://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge.
View : : :
87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M
Dec 18, 2015, 14:57
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 18, 2015, 14:57
Dec 18, 2015, 14:57

jdreyer wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 04:32:
I admit they show an impressive ability to continue to rake funds in, but it's a zero sum game and that money will dry up sooner than later. The game is still years off.

You may have run your own numbers, but again thats just your estiments with no real numbers to back up your speculations. Also what keeps getting omitted are the un named funds we dont know about that CIG does not disclose to the public.

I think it would come off different if you were to say ...

Im guesstimating at numbers, or based on my past dealings in the game development world that I believe that they might run out of money ...

but stating you believe they will run out of funds before they can finish the game as a factual statement is disingenuous. Because again the general public just doesn't have a clue about their financial situation.

Edit: id also speculate that CR himself would fund parts of the game himself based on his enthusiasm that he seems to truly demonstrate about the game before he would just let it die. But that part is just my speculations, he could be in it just for the money, but id say he s already well off.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2015, 15:14.

Dec 18, 2015, 11:18
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 18, 2015, 11:18
Dec 18, 2015, 11:18

I'm pretty sure you are severely overestimating how much those people are getting paid jd. People working for kickstarted crowdfunded companies don't get "industry standard wages" or anything remotely close to it. Don't underestimate the desperation of underemployed workers and college grads taking less money to secure a job, especially in the gaming industry.

What do they have to show for it?
This is a very dishonest way of looking at the development process, and I think you know that. Their goal isn't (and shouldn't be) to make you slightly playable versions of the game along the entire process just to appease you. If you want them to be wasting time on shit like that then you aren't helping the situation at all, because fulfilling requests like that is only slowing them down. :p

Most games don't have playable alpha/beta builds until the last few months of their development and you guys are whining about them not having entire universes built already when their target release for the first module is still 12 months away.

Dec 18, 2015, 04:32
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 18, 2015, 04:32
Dec 18, 2015, 04:32

AmericanWulf wrote on Dec 16, 2015, 13:15:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 04:19:
... However, I don't think RSI will ever be able to deliver what they promised: 100 fully realized systems, and 100-player instances. They'll run out of money before then.

If an MMO or whatever you may call StarCitizen stops development after 2016 then yes you could say it was a failure and everyone who backed it were suckers .. bla bla bla, but to say "they will run out of money" is just an ignorant thing to say. And by that I mean, we (the general public) don't have a clue about CIGs finances and to pretend we do is just speculation. The public has no idea beyond the backer money ticker on their web site of what back door deals CIG has with private contributors, or space whales as I've seen thrown around, which CR has already said he has money coming in from other un-named sources.

I just think its funny when DS puts out his analyses of what he thinks will happen it's always so vague and contrived that anyone with a crystal ball can spout out as "truths" and if they don't come true then they just changes their tune to something else and then says .. see , this came true so I was right all along!. It's all contrived BS that he and everyone like him is trying to shout as loud as they can to say , see I was right ... personally I think its pure jealousy because he can't do what other developers have so his only fall back is to smear them down to his level ... but in the long term they are proven quite wrong with CIGs recent releases.

oh and since it must mean something here, I have no stake in StarCitizen but some of these "truths" and "facts" are just dumbfounded, because no one but the top employees know anything about their actual financial situation(s), good or bad, and no one will until they close up shop or deliver a product 1, 2, or even 3 years from now.

Oh and another thing I see floating around is that SC has been in DEV for 5 years, another falsehood. For them to deliver what they have in 3 short years of game development is quite impressive from a developer standpoint being a developer myself (not in game design).

I was so disheartened last summer at the social module launch (being such overkill for its purpose) that I ran my own numbers before DS came along based on # of employees, average salaries in the industry, costs of running four separate offices, etc. I came up with them having used $65M of their $80M (or so) and burning through $3M per month conservatively. They've added $20M since then, but also have burned $20M.

What do they have to show for it? A proof-of-concept engine that runs 12 people simultaneously out of 100 promised, and one partially finished system our of 100 promised. Is the tech impressive? Yes. Is it anywhere near finished with 85% of the money spent? Nope.

I admit they show an impressive ability to continue to rake funds in, but it's a zero sum game and that money will dry up sooner than later. The game is still years off.

All that being said, if they deliver Sq 42, I'll be happy. And for the PU, if they deliver 10 fully complete systems, then there will be something to plunk around in there which will be fun. I'll feel I got my $35 worth.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Dec 16, 2015, 15:18
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 16, 2015, 15:18
Dec 16, 2015, 15:18

People who have a solid case against something and a real interest in pursuing it in the legal system don't often go around making it into a circus show and behaving like they're an actor in a court room drama, "Show us the financials and this all goes away...". Who talks like that??

Then there's the history of legal threats at the drop of a hat in the old days. I think someone just doesn't get out enough...

Dec 16, 2015, 13:15
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 16, 2015, 13:15
Dec 16, 2015, 13:15

jdreyer wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 04:19:
... However, I don't think RSI will ever be able to deliver what they promised: 100 fully realized systems, and 100-player instances. They'll run out of money before then.

If an MMO or whatever you may call StarCitizen stops development after 2016 then yes you could say it was a failure and everyone who backed it were suckers .. bla bla bla, but to say "they will run out of money" is just an ignorant thing to say. And by that I mean, we (the general public) don't have a clue about CIGs finances and to pretend we do is just speculation. The public has no idea beyond the backer money ticker on their web site of what back door deals CIG has with private contributors, or space whales as I've seen thrown around, which CR has already said he has money coming in from other un-named sources.

I just think its funny when DS puts out his analyses of what he thinks will happen it's always so vague and contrived that anyone with a crystal ball can spout out as "truths" and if they don't come true then they just changes their tune to something else and then says .. see , this came true so I was right all along!. It's all contrived BS that he and everyone like him is trying to shout as loud as they can to say , see I was right ... personally I think its pure jealousy because he can't do what other developers have so his only fall back is to smear them down to his level ... but in the long term they are proven quite wrong with CIGs recent releases.

oh and since it must mean something here, I have no stake in StarCitizen but some of these "truths" and "facts" are just dumbfounded, because no one but the top employees know anything about their actual financial situation(s), good or bad, and no one will until they close up shop or deliver a product 1, 2, or even 3 years from now.

Oh and another thing I see floating around is that SC has been in DEV for 5 years, another falsehood. For them to deliver what they have in 3 short years of game development is quite impressive from a developer standpoint being a developer myself (not in game design).

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2015, 13:25.

Dec 16, 2015, 08:27
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 16, 2015, 08:27
Dec 16, 2015, 08:27

Krazy Kat wrote on Dec 12, 2015, 18:00:
Has anyone tried to watch this game on Twitch?

I have never saw a session last more than 15 minutes without crashing.

GG

Works for around two hours for me and runs well (I have a five year old card). The missions are obviously placeholders but are still fun, having multiple avatars in a single ship walking around while in flight etc is just amazing. The 'seamless' nature sets a high bar for future titles.

Edit: In beforehand, I'm a $40 backer not one of the nutters

Dec 15, 2015, 08:39
nin

Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 15, 2015, 08:39
Dec 15, 2015, 08:39
 nin

KilrathiAce wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 03:14:
In the end, maybe few more years Derek Smart will be proven right.

Even a broke clock is right twice a day.

Dec 15, 2015, 04:19
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 15, 2015, 04:19
Dec 15, 2015, 04:19

dsmart wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 14:27:
Back in July I said that this game, as pitched, will never see the light of day. I stand firm on that assessment. That aside from the fact that they still do not have the tech for this game and are still trying to build it. Again, when I mentioned this months ago, people called me crazy.

Just like all the previous modules, this mini-PU will remain a buggy incomplete mess for months to come. Look at AC and how long that farce has been going on.

And with four studios worldwide and an estimated burn rate of around $3m per month, their inability to sustain that monthly level of funding is what's going to be their undoing before long.

SQ42 is going to be the next push since they have some room to sell that to new people, outside of the 700K "citizens" already entitled to it.

I still do not believe that the project will survive 2016. Yet, even with only around 10% of the game promised already out, they're still claiming that it will be finished in 2016.

You can quibble with some of Derek's details, but I have a hard time countering the main thrust. For example, I think at the end of 2016 that by hook or by crook they will still be working on this. However, I don't think RSI will ever be able to deliver what they promised: 100 fully realized systems, and 100-player instances. They'll run out of money before then.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Dec 15, 2015, 03:14
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 15, 2015, 03:14
Dec 15, 2015, 03:14

In the end, maybe few more years Derek Smart will be proven right.
"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

Dec 14, 2015, 21:08
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 14, 2015, 21:08
Dec 14, 2015, 21:08

Meanwhile, despite the buggy-ness (trademark me), the components of SC are coming together. It's cool to see, though annoying to play. There are SO many crazy systems going on.

Move too fast and you black out, or red out. There are several modes of physic flight models. Multiple landing modes.

I still hate that the flight model favors mouse control. With a flight stick it's hard to hit people. Watching youtube, mouse users cannot miss.

Every ship has a completely different interface. Elite is awesome and bypassed that by having the same one.

I think this guy wants to make a seriously awesome game. He's on the way. But, delays, because video games.

PHD Smart is shitting in his chair ringing a bell.

Dec 14, 2015, 20:58
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 14, 2015, 20:58
Dec 14, 2015, 20:58

Derek Smart must just be FUMING right now. I mean, how DARE another space game release a buggy, overdue pre-alpha test.

Oh wait, his "game" is in early access (as in, close to release), being sold on steam (unless steam finally kicked him off) where the consensus is "overwhelmingly negative".

He's selling his broken game on Steam.

StarCitizen released a pre-alpha game to the people who backed it.

Difference much?

Dec 14, 2015, 20:49
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 14, 2015, 20:49
Dec 14, 2015, 20:49

Rigs wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 17:28:
dsmart wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 16:44:
How utterly unpredictable.

I'm shocked.

Completely.

I bet. Movingalong

Really, Derek, what is your endgame here, anyway? What the hell do you get out of helping another developers downfall? Seems to me that maybe you should try helping him. Maybe that's the real issue here. Maybe you offered and he offended you? I dunno. You're like the Paris Hilton of game design! Famous for being...famously out of touch. Seriously, why do you keep putting yourself out there? Is your self-worth so fucking low that you need everyone to coddle you, publically, to feel better? You're not going to come out of this any better than when you went in. You're wasting your time. And worse, you're wasting everyone else's time with...bullshit. Just stop.

=-Rigs-=

You are confusing to me. One post I want to punch you, another I want to hug you.

This is bluesnews.

Dec 14, 2015, 20:25
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 14, 2015, 20:25
Dec 14, 2015, 20:25

descender wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 14:57:
Of course they are still "trying to build the tech" FFS... no one ever has before and you have absolutely no right to claim if and when they should be able to "complete" it by. Just because you tried and failed in the past (miserably, every time) doesn't mean that any other developer will. With any luck their process DOES look completely foreign to you so they aren't accidentally following in your footsteps of failure. Listening to you talk about developing a space sim is like listening to Cheney and Rove talk about Iraq or having Bill Cosby give dating advice to your kids. Just shut the fuck up already.

You've proven yourself to be nothing but a blatant troll with no facts to back up any of the ridiculous claims and threats you've made. Did you think that the 3 months since your last post would make us all forget how wrong you have been about everything you've said so far? Are you still holding back all that "truth" and "facts" for the fake lawsuits you keep threatening to file? Your attempts to position yourself as some sort of white-knight for backers are obvious and kind of sad. Are you lonely?

The only likely result of this delayed development process is that the $3mil in kickstarter money gets refunded to the backers and then CIG won't have to rush out half-featured and buggy alpha's for impatient assholes. I still don't understand why CIG hasn't done this already, they don't need that $3mil in any way and it brings them nothing but strife, headaches and bad PR.

You seem to have it in your head that you are going to whine loudly enough to get the entire $100mil refunded or that Chris Roberts is going to finally tell you he spent it all on hookers and blow, both are absolutely out of the question so it's time for you to find something better to do.
+1
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Dec 14, 2015, 17:28
Rigs

Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 14, 2015, 17:28
Dec 14, 2015, 17:28
 Rigs

dsmart wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 16:44:

I'm shocked.

Completely.

I bet. Movingalong

Really, Derek, what is your endgame here, anyway? What the hell do you get out of helping another developers downfall? Seems to me that maybe you should try helping him. Maybe that's the real issue here. Maybe you offered and he offended you? I dunno. You're like the Paris Hilton of game design! Famous for being...famously out of touch. Seriously, why do you keep putting yourself out there? Is your self-worth so fucking low that you need everyone to coddle you, publically, to feel better? You're not going to come out of this any better than when you went in. You're wasting your time. And worse, you're wasting everyone else's time with...bullshit. Just stop.

=-Rigs-=

Dec 14, 2015, 17:15
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 14, 2015, 17:15
Dec 14, 2015, 17:15

.... both are absolutely out of the question so it's time for you to find something better to do.

he has to feel like he doing something / anything as there are currently only 2 players playing LoD at the moment ... he must have taken a break from playing to post as it's been awhile. I think everyone by now is getting tired of his BS that he has become a joke even among his followers ...

http://steamcharts.com/search/?q=line+of+defense

Dec 14, 2015, 16:54
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 14, 2015, 16:54
Dec 14, 2015, 16:54

It's as if you've had no effect on the situation at all!

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

Quoted for extreme lack of self awareness.

Dec 14, 2015, 16:44
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 14, 2015, 16:44
Dec 14, 2015, 16:44

I'm shocked.

Completely.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

Dec 14, 2015, 16:14
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 14, 2015, 16:14
Dec 14, 2015, 16:14

Of course they are still "trying to build the tech" FFS... no one ever has before and you have absolutely no right to claim if and when they should be able to "complete" it by. Just because you tried and failed in the past (miserably, every time) doesn't mean that any other developer will. With any luck their process DOES look completely foreign to you so they aren't accidentally following in your footsteps of failure. Listening to you talk about developing a space sim is like listening to Cheney and Rove talk about Iraq or having Bill Cosby give dating advice to your kids. Just shut the fuck up already.

You've proven yourself to be nothing but a blatant troll with no facts to back up any of the ridiculous claims and threats you've made. Did you think that the 3 months since your last post would make us all forget how wrong you have been about everything you've said so far? Are you still holding back all that "truth" and "facts" for the fake lawsuits you keep threatening to file? Your attempts to position yourself as some sort of white-knight for backers are obvious and kind of sad. Are you lonely?

The only likely result of this delayed development process is that the $3mil in kickstarter money gets refunded to the backers and then CIG won't have to rush out half-featured and buggy alpha's for impatient assholes. I still don't understand why CIG hasn't done this already, they don't need that $3mil in any way and it brings them nothing but strife, headaches and bad PR.

You seem to have it in your head that you are going to whine loudly enough to get the entire $100mil refunded or that Chris Roberts is going to finally tell you he spent it all on hookers and blow, both are absolutely out of the question so it's time for you to find something better to do.

+1 amen

Dec 14, 2015, 14:57
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 14, 2015, 14:57
Dec 14, 2015, 14:57

Dec 14, 2015, 14:27
Re: Star Citizen Nears $100M Dec 14, 2015, 14:27
Dec 14, 2015, 14:27

This is just a milestone with numbers. It bears no relevance to the game's state.

And speaking of game state, I already predicted awhile back why they would rush something out ahead of 11/30 ToS deadline. That was August.

At this point in time, it all boils down to them rushing out a framework so they can legally hide behind the no guarantee of performance clause. Unfortunately for them, this being crowd-funding, delivering anything less than promised, is considered non-delivery.

Back in July I said that this game, as pitched, will never see the light of day. I stand firm on that assessment. That aside from the fact that they still do not have the tech for this game and are still trying to build it. Again, when I mentioned this months ago, people called me crazy.

Just like all the previous modules, this mini-PU will remain a buggy incomplete mess for months to come. Look at AC and how long that farce has been going on.

And with four studios worldwide and an estimated burn rate of around $3m per month, their inability to sustain that monthly level of funding is what's going to be their undoing before long.

SQ42 is going to be the next push since they have some room to sell that to new people, outside of the 700K "citizens" already entitled to it.

I still do not believe that the project will survive 2016. Yet, even with only around 10% of the game promised already out, they're still claiming that it will be finished in 2016.

Just in:

With $100M In Crowdfunding, 'Star Citizen' May Not Be A Scam, But It Feels Like A Cult - Forbes
87 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older