Delete Steam Games

A post on NeoGAF outlines the procedure for permanently deleting a game from your Steam software library, for those times when it's not enough to just hide them in a folder (the folder name one post mentions using is called "shame"). Word is: "From https://help.steampowered.com, just log-in and select Games, Software, etc., select the game from the search function that shows up, and select I want to permanently remove this game from my account." Thanks PC Invasion for this tip to help with our OCD.
View : : :
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Delete Steam Games
Dec 6, 2015, 18:33
Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 6, 2015, 18:33
Dec 6, 2015, 18:33

Oh, good. Now I can get rid of that retarded-as-shit Aion game from my library.

Dec 6, 2015, 15:55
Dev
Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 6, 2015, 15:55
Dec 6, 2015, 15:55
Dev

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 03:44:
- Likewise: "Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Beta (Obsolete)". The entire part in quotes is the exact way it shows up in my library including the "obsolete" part. You know, obsolete. O.b.s.o.l.e.t.e.
Then why the fuck is it still there, Bohemia/Valve??? Goddammit!
[...]
- Or the new Steam versions of some games that were introduced because of GFWL going the way of the dodo. Example: Company of Heroes. It got a new library entry because of the GFWL crap but why would you ever want to start the old one now? It's nice to be able to remove the redundant entry via deletion.
Sadly the obsolete game is part of a bundle and it will delete the entire Arma 2 bundle to remove it.
Company of heroes is too, and I will lose my THQ catalog bundle if I remove it.

Looks like this feature is more and more useless after all.

However, thanks to the posts about how to HIDE them!
Sadly I can't hide things in the tools category. OR the music category (I don't need 7 music albums of "advisor" all in different languages, I only care about the English one)

I have a war of roses beta, a left 4 dead 2 beta that I've hidden so far.

I'll hide the stardrive beta as soon as I get the "Liberator
Freed the Owlwoks" achievement it has. Anyone know how?

Any other suggestions on replaced games or obsolete/beta/crap to try and remove or hide?

This comment was edited on Dec 6, 2015, 16:07.

Dec 5, 2015, 20:29
Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 20:29
Dec 5, 2015, 20:29

Lol, I suppose you don't carry a wallet around with you anywhere, then? I know firsthand how much of a pain in the ass it is to lose one of those, and smartphones with sensitive data on them are no different. You get to a computer or another phone ASAP and tell Valve to lock your account, like you would be canceling cards and putting in ID theft alerts with the credit bureaus. That doesn't mean two-factor authentication isn't still the best way to secure any account of any kind, short of retinal scans and voice recognition, etc.

You can use one of the many Android emulators out there to access the Steam app on your computer. It's not as good as having that on a separate device, but it will save you the wait time when you give away trading cards.

Dec 5, 2015, 19:42
Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 19:42
Dec 5, 2015, 19:42

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 14:28:
Not a rock, per se... Have been spending a lot of time in the Commonwealth, though. I also don't do much actual trading. The marketplace was made for those high volumes of cheap items, so that's what I use for the cards. I don't get the argument you're trying to make, though; you're against having to use the authenticator for trades (takes 5 seconds to look up a code on a phone, it's not that much of a chore IMO), but you want them to force that on people for every game deletion request? If you have Steam Guard enabled, and there's no reason not to, you already have to use the authenticator to log in to the support site before you can access that function.

The important thing to note here is that the support site is a separate entity, on Steampowered.com, but your inventory and all that other stuff is on SteamCommunity.com. It requires two logins, and so two authentications as well, to access both from the same browser. You would never be logged in to the support site under normal circumstances, checking the store or your activity feed or forums or trading, especially not on a public computer. So as I said earlier in the thread, it's your own fault if you left that access open for a stranger or other ne'er-do-well to delete your games. Protecting that sort of thing is probably why they spun all the normal Steam features off into their own site to begin with.

I'm against being forced to use the mobile authentacator. Make it optional, not required. Not everyone has a smart phone, me included. Anyone without a smart phone will be locked out of instant trades. I called BS on their reason for forcing the mobile authenticator being to protect users. If your account is compromised, this new system makes it harder to steal your virtual trading cards than it is to delete your entire library of games from your account.

The mobile authenticator seems like it will make your account less secure. If your smart phone is lost or stolen, everything you need to take over a Steam account is now located in one convenient place.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Dec 5, 2015, 14:55
Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 14:55
Dec 5, 2015, 14:55

El Pit wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 02:39:
Dacron wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 00:54:
I reinstalled Dead Island 2 the other week, thinking I didn't give it a fair shake and I should give it another go after Dying Light was so good.

When was Dead Island 2 released? I must have missed that! Surprised

What?! Some jerk keeps typing 2's on my keyboard after I type Dead Island, grrr.

I meant the first
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Dec 5, 2015, 14:28
Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 14:28
Dec 5, 2015, 14:28

jimnms wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 13:19:
jacobvandy wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 01:31:
jimnms wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 23:16:
I said it the other day, forcing forcing everyone to use the Steam Mobile Authenticator for trading had nothing to do with protecting users. They want to make it a pain in the ass to trade so more people will use the market instead. If they really wanted to protect users you wouldn't be able instantly delete games from your account easier than it is to trade stupid cards worth a few cents.

You're not forced... You can disable the trade confirmation emails if you're so inclined. They have it enabled by default to protect the ignorant, and the feature in itself was made to benefit those with significant value stored in their inventory. Feel free to throw caution to the wind (and forfeit your right to petition Support about lost items) if all you deal with is small potatoes among friends.

Have you been living under a rock the past few weeks? After December 9th you'll be required to use the Steam Mobile Authenticator or your trades will be held in escrow for 3 days. This is supposedly done to protect users from losing items if their accounts are hacked/stolen, but why aren't they extending this same protection to your games if they really want to protect their users?

Not a rock, per se... Have been spending a lot of time in the Commonwealth, though. I also don't do much actual trading. The marketplace was made for those high volumes of cheap items, so that's what I use for the cards. I don't get the argument you're trying to make, though; you're against having to use the authenticator for trades (takes 5 seconds to look up a code on a phone, it's not that much of a chore IMO), but you want them to force that on people for every game deletion request? If you have Steam Guard enabled, and there's no reason not to, you already have to use the authenticator to log in to the support site before you can access that function.

The important thing to note here is that the support site is a separate entity, on Steampowered.com, but your inventory and all that other stuff is on SteamCommunity.com. It requires two logins, and so two authentications as well, to access both from the same browser. You would never be logged in to the support site under normal circumstances, checking the store or your activity feed or forums or trading, especially not on a public computer. So as I said earlier in the thread, it's your own fault if you left that access open for a stranger or other ne'er-do-well to delete your games. Protecting that sort of thing is probably why they spun all the normal Steam features off into their own site to begin with.

Dec 5, 2015, 13:19
Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 13:19
Dec 5, 2015, 13:19

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 01:31:
I said it the other day, forcing forcing everyone to use the Steam Mobile Authenticator for trading had nothing to do with protecting users. They want to make it a pain in the ass to trade so more people will use the market instead. If they really wanted to protect users you wouldn't be able instantly delete games from your account easier than it is to trade stupid cards worth a few cents.

You're not forced... You can disable the trade confirmation emails if you're so inclined. They have it enabled by default to protect the ignorant, and the feature in itself was made to benefit those with significant value stored in their inventory. Feel free to throw caution to the wind (and forfeit your right to petition Support about lost items) if all you deal with is small potatoes among friends.

Have you been living under a rock the past few weeks? After December 9th you'll be required to use the Steam Mobile Authenticator or your trades will be held in escrow for 3 days. This is supposedly done to protect users from losing items if their accounts are hacked/stolen, but why aren't they extending this same protection to your games if they really want to protect their users?
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Dec 5, 2015, 11:18
Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 11:18
Dec 5, 2015, 11:18

Retired wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 10:54:
I don't throw away books, records, movies, games, etc. I sure as shit ain't deleting a game out of my library.

I regularly sell them or give them away however. And what I don't goes in the trash, I don't keep crap around I can't use. If you're never going to use it, get rid of it, is my motto.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Dec 5, 2015, 10:54
Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 10:54
Dec 5, 2015, 10:54

I don't throw away books, records, movies, games, etc. I sure as shit ain't deleting a game out of my library.

Dec 5, 2015, 10:36
Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 10:36
Dec 5, 2015, 10:36

MajorD wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 00:25:
HHHHmmmmm.....RAGE, BRINK, and Dead Island come to mind, to name a few...

Dead... Island.... No, for that, Steam needs to add a "Nuke" option that allows us to wipe the developer off the face of the earth.

Dec 5, 2015, 10:04
Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 10:04
Dec 5, 2015, 10:04

NetHead wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 06:09:
walrus1 wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 21:16:
This seems like a recipe for disaster.

Turns out you can make a hidden category, as long as that works well enough don't see the point in deleting things, or even allowing it for problems to turn up.

People have already mentioned a few cases here, use your fucking imagination.

Dec 5, 2015, 08:34
El Pit

Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 08:34
Dec 5, 2015, 08:34
 El Pit

NetHead wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 06:09:

Turns out you can make a hidden category, as long as that works well enough don't see the point in deleting things, or even allowing it for problems to turn up.

You might want to read the other posts to understand why there is a point, maybe not for you but for others.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Dec 5, 2015, 06:09
Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 06:09
Dec 5, 2015, 06:09

Dec 5, 2015, 03:44
Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 03:44
Dec 5, 2015, 03:44

Rilcon wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 20:37:
Wait, why?

The only "use" I can see in this is in severely fucking people over that didn't log off their account somewhere another could access it. I'm hoping there's some sort of verification email or something to go along with something like this?

Reasons as far as I can see:

- Lazy ass developers like Obsidian who obviously could not be bothered to ever remove the "Pillars of Eternity - Public Beta" entry. This has been bothering me a for a while and I hid it but deleting it is even nicer, of course.

- Likewise: "Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Beta (Obsolete)". The entire part in quotes is the exact way it shows up in my library including the "obsolete" part. You know, obsolete. O.b.s.o.l.e.t.e.
Then why the fuck is it still there, Bohemia/Valve??? Goddammit!

- Or games like Darksiders 2, Divinity Original Sin, Deus Ex Human Revolution or Metro 2033/Last Light which have been made obsolete by Deathinitive, Enhanced, Director's Cut or Redux versions (if you purchased the upgraded ones, of course).
Kinda sad that it is obviously too much to ask from these devs/publishers to make it so you can choose to replace the original entry or port your achievements (the unchanged ones) over to the new entry.

- Or the new Steam versions of some games that were introduced because of GFWL going the way of the dodo. Example: Company of Heroes. It got a new library entry because of the GFWL crap but why would you ever want to start the old one now? It's nice to be able to remove the redundant entry via deletion.

So as you can see quite a few good and valid reasons for people to use this feature to manage their libraries, though it would be even better, of course, if devs/publishers and Valve/Steam would manage their games better and allow people more options with regards to potentially redundant library entries when a new version of a game becomes available. You know, like, check against the old version in the library, and if it's there, offer people some options like merging, upgrading, deletion, hiding etc.

Dec 5, 2015, 02:59
Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 02:59
Dec 5, 2015, 02:59

El Pit wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 02:41:
Retired wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 21:27:
ummm...you guys know there are groups - our you can HIDE them?

Bats, this is good for the people who (accidentially) bought censored games and want to get rid of them so they can replace them with the REAL games. I think it's good for people in e.g. Australia and Germany.

It also helps with getting rid of F2P crap that magically appears in your library. Or listings for Betas that you now have the full game for or utilities like a dedicated server you'll never run.

Dec 5, 2015, 02:41
El Pit

Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 02:41
Dec 5, 2015, 02:41
 El Pit

Retired wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 21:27:
ummm...you guys know there are groups - our you can HIDE them?

Bats, this is good for the people who (accidentially) bought censored games and want to get rid of them so they can replace them with the REAL games. I think it's good for people in e.g. Australia and Germany.

Dec 5, 2015, 02:39
El Pit

Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 02:39
Dec 5, 2015, 02:39
 El Pit

Dacron wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 00:54:
I reinstalled Dead Island 2 the other week, thinking I didn't give it a fair shake and I should give it another go after Dying Light was so good.

When was Dead Island 2 released? I must have missed that! Surprised

Dec 5, 2015, 02:10
Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 02:10
Dec 5, 2015, 02:10

nin wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 21:45:
This totally RUINS our annual "Blue's News I found the shittiest, cheapest game and I'm gifting it to you" tradition we do every xmas!

I think I still owe Prez a payback for the $3-$5 Duke Nukem Forever he gifted me, that I forced myself to play for 3 hours...

hahahhaah well you're a better friend then me

Dec 5, 2015, 01:31
Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 01:31
Dec 5, 2015, 01:31

Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams
Dec 5, 2015, 01:22
Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Dec 5, 2015, 01:22
Dec 5, 2015, 01:22

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 20:48:
Interesting, but I can't see myself ever using this. Making different game categories/folders has helped enough.

Exactly, it seems like this will cause more problems and will surely trigger more support cases.

Why not categorize the game and hide that list.
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older