AMD Crimson Drivers Issue

AMD's new reference drivers are presumably not named "Crimson" because they make cards red hot, but there are lots of users reporting overheating problems using them. There are even some saying this has killed their GPUs outright, as shown in this reddit thread, which says the drivers are locking fan speeds on some systems at 20% of maximum. A tweet from AMD acknowledges the issue, saying a hotfix is coming today: "We are aware of low fan speed reports on select GPUs with Radeon Software Crimson Edition. We intend to publish a hotfix on Monday." In the meantime, this reddit post (thanks Softpedia) offers a workaround on how to perk up your fans. Thanks HARDOCP.
View : : :
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue
Dec 3, 2015, 19:28
Rigs

Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Dec 3, 2015, 19:28
Dec 3, 2015, 19:28
 Rigs

So, no thoughts on that, eh, Verno?

Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 10:05:
Anyways I'm moving onto other threads so whatever.

Oh.

Well, shit... Pouting

I feel like the king of thread killers. How many Blues threads have ended with me? Sometimes I don't know why I even bother... Sigh

Raincloud

=-Rigs-=

Dec 2, 2015, 11:08
Rigs

Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Dec 2, 2015, 11:08
Dec 2, 2015, 11:08
 Rigs

How am I being 'weird' by having a critical opinion? I'm not cussing people out, calling them 'retards' or 'faggots' or whatever. I'm not personally attacking anyone. I'm not taking any criticism of AMD 'personal', I've just found, in the past, that many people who have a negative opinion of AMD/ATI haven't actually used a Radeon card at all. They just go by news stories and forum posts and all of a sudden, they're 'experts'.

Listen, I'm not saying you, in particular, don't know what you're talking about and don't have 'experience'. My post wasn't directed at you personally. I'm not chomping at the bit, trying to bash my opinion into any orifice in people's skulls that it'll fit. On the contrary, I'm actually extremely calm. I'm sorry that that doesn't seem to show in my posts. If someone says something about a subject I have a lot of time and effort spent on, I'm going to be critical of it. I'm going to call into question whether that person knows what they're saying or if they're just trolling. I'm an ATI (and, grudgingly, by extension, AMD) fanboy, I've stated this many times. No, this doesn't give me free reign to say anything, attack anyone and generally be a zealot. My stance has actually moderated quite a bit from the past. I try to be understanding, and as you said, reasonable. I ask questions, I state facts and I refute assumptions. I don't attack people. (well, ok, lets say I certainly try not to, I'm not perfect ) I see the nVidia vs. AMD debate as more like being the fan of a football team (or any sports team really). You're passionate about your team, you trumpet their strengths and kinda just push their weaknesses under the rug. I've never said AMD was perfect, they definitely are not. Their CPU business is shit. Their SSD and PSU businesses are shit. But the videocards...the videocards I like. Probably because it's really ATI and their design foundations and not really AMD's. I don't like nVidia's way of doing business and I'm still sore over 3dfx all these years later. You think I'm bad with AMD? You should have seen me in the 3dfx days!

=-Rigs-=

Dec 2, 2015, 10:05
Verno

Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Dec 2, 2015, 10:05
Dec 2, 2015, 10:05
 Verno

I tried to be polite and to the point but if you insist...you sound like a weirdo on this stuff. It's a videocard, not your girlfriend. AMD has a paid marketing department and this isn't a battle or something, there's no need to get all weird about defending a brand. Look its pretty simple, stop making assumptions that everyone else doesn't somehow have your "experience" with these things and that anything negative about AMD is a "misunderstanding". Another example being that I have "no interest" because I said something you don't like. I have significant experience with AMD/ATI products, perhaps even more than you. That doesn't mean I don't have a critical eye for problems on either side of the fence.

Being completely unwilling to listen or change is not exactly a stance I would trumpet either. Anyways I'm moving onto other threads so whatever. I posted that because in the past I found you to be reasonable. If you don't want to listen to it then fair enough.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Dec 2, 2015, 09:35
Rigs

Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Dec 2, 2015, 09:35
Dec 2, 2015, 09:35
 Rigs

Verno wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 09:19:
You are way too defensive about AMD cards man, its impossible to take you seriously on the subject. People frequently bring up Nvidia driver issues, just look at any Nvidia thread. That doesn't mean they won't do the same about AMD.

So, wait wait wait...because I'm passionate and adamant about AMD (ATI) video cards and try to correct misunderstandings that arise because people state opinions without having the personal experience to backup their claims, you can't take me seriously?! Is that what you're saying? Because I defend a brand, a product, that's considered not as worthy as say, a game? How is pointing out the positives and difference in video cards any different from doing the same with a game? I don't understand your reasoning, Verno. But whatever, if that's how you feel, so be it. I'm not going to change what I say because you have problems accepting that someone is passionate about a product that you have no interest in...It doesn't make it any less worthy because it means nothing to you.

=-Rigs-=

Dec 2, 2015, 09:19
Verno

Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Dec 2, 2015, 09:19
Dec 2, 2015, 09:19
 Verno

You are way too defensive about AMD cards man, its impossible to take you seriously on the subject. People frequently bring up Nvidia driver issues, just look at any Nvidia thread. That doesn't mean they won't do the same about AMD.

Dec 1, 2015, 21:58
Rigs

Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Dec 1, 2015, 21:58
Dec 1, 2015, 21:58
 Rigs

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 19:36:
Rigs wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 16:23:
ForgedReality wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 12:35:
God damn, AMD is trash. Their drivers have always been shit, but it seems like they're getting progressively worse these days. There's a reason they're cheaper, folks. Not worth the headaches or the risk if you ask me.

Then don't buy AMD. I have a sneaking suspicion you haven't been a Radeon owner in quite a while (if ever) because AMD's drivers haven't had any trouble for the last two or three years. Why is it that AMD's (or I should say ATI's, god I miss them!) driver problem from way back in the 9800PRO/XT days still comes up any time there's a driver issue while everyone seems to gloss over the absolute garbage nVidia's FX -series was?! Need I remind you that you could blow dry your hair with an FX-series card?

Honestly, if the only thing bad you guys can keep pulling out of the bin is something that was over ten years ago, that's probably a good thing. In any event, I haven't had any problems with my system whatsoever.

=-Rigs-=

You're right, AMD would never release notoriously hot and loud GPUs! Oh wait, you don't have to go back 10 years for that...

290X

I never said they didn't. Please don't put words in my mouth. My point, which you purposely glossed over, was to point out that whenever there's any hint at problems with AMD's drivers, the first thing people say here is 'Oh, well AMD's video drivers have always been shit! Looks at all the issues they had...' without finishing that thought, which would be '...ten fucking years ago!'. And then not a mention, not a peep, about nVidia's woes over the years. The hair dryers (FX-series), the furnaces (7000-series), the epic power drainers that some of the GTX cards used to be. Nothing comparable. Pout

=-Rigs-=

Dec 1, 2015, 09:19
Verno

Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Dec 1, 2015, 09:19
Dec 1, 2015, 09:19
 Verno

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 08:52:
AMD apparently didn't want Nvidia to be the only ones having (had) this issue?

How does this not get caught in testing? Oh wait, testing. Heh.

They fired the majority of the driver team awhile back, what testing?

Dec 1, 2015, 08:57
Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Dec 1, 2015, 08:57
Dec 1, 2015, 08:57

Dec 1, 2015, 08:52
Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Dec 1, 2015, 08:52
Dec 1, 2015, 08:52

AMD apparently didn't want Nvidia to be the only ones having (had) this issue?

How does this not get caught in testing? Oh wait, testing. Heh.

No subject
Dec 1, 2015, 03:29
No subject Dec 1, 2015, 03:29
Dec 1, 2015, 03:29

Fantaz wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 01:02:
AMD cards TDR more... believe me, i used to work for AMD (crappy company)

Back when it was ATI there was a lot of problems, I remember them very well. With the number of people I know that have AMD cards now, seeing one or two TDR's in a 3 month period is more common than anything.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Dec 1, 2015, 02:38
Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Dec 1, 2015, 02:38
Dec 1, 2015, 02:38

Nvidia's got their own problems too... GPU usage stuck at 40%, 3D clocks not kicking in, staying in 2D mode, here's an almost TWO HUNDRED PAGES thread on geforce.com about that and they're being ignored it seems:

Low GPU load driver issue

BTW, that comment about using anything other than an ATI manufactured card being a problem seems to not be about every third party card, or not every generation. Got a Gigabyte card here, heck its not even in the official "supported" cards list ( HD5850, oldest supported is HD7x or HD6x I think ) of the drivers now and it's running like a charm with Crimsons.

Dec 1, 2015, 02:32
Slick

Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Dec 1, 2015, 02:32
Dec 1, 2015, 02:32
 Slick

lol, that's pretty funny.

especially from the company that brought gpu throttling into the mainstream on the 290x to make sure that the fan didn't go above %44!
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Dec 1, 2015, 01:02
Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Dec 1, 2015, 01:02
Dec 1, 2015, 01:02

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 22:09:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 09:26:
Well.. Nvidia pulled this once.. good to see AMD drivers are "improving"

Nvidia pulled it twice actually. And they still have the TDR problem nearly 3 years later.

AMD cards TDR more... believe me, i used to work for AMD (crappy company)

No subject
Dec 1, 2015, 00:52
No subject Dec 1, 2015, 00:52
Dec 1, 2015, 00:52

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 23:19:
Didn't that nVidia fan control issue almost only affect mobile GPUs because nVidia was throttling them too much under load and the GPUs overheated in the tiny confines of the laptop cases? I really don't remember it being a big deal at all.

The only nVidia card I have personally ever lost in those 15+ years was a Ti-4400 way back when and I've had a lot of cards in all those years.
I've had a flawless track record ever since that Ti-4400 in all regards with the exception of nVidia Surround and SLI on my second computer. That has required a little more maintenance than usual but my main single GPU computer has never given me any trouble from the GPU side of things.

Nope, it effected desktop and mobile GPU's in both instances. There were quite a few people complaining about their desktop GPU's being cooked, it happened to my cousin who had a SLI setup and it baked both of his cards.

In the end it's kind of like this. If you have a ATI card and don't use anything like MSI's OC utility or Sapphires, you're perefectly fine. If you use it, you need to flip on overdrive and disable automatic fan control and then you're fine. In nvidia's case, the drivers locked the fan speed profile to 20% and overrode all external control of it.
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Nov 30, 2015, 23:19
Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Nov 30, 2015, 23:19
Nov 30, 2015, 23:19

Didn't that nVidia fan control issue almost only affect mobile GPUs because nVidia was throttling them too much under load and the GPUs overheated in the tiny confines of the laptop cases? I really don't remember it being a big deal at all.

The only nVidia card I have personally ever lost in those 15+ years was a Ti-4400 way back when and I've had a lot of cards in all those years.
I've had a flawless track record ever since that Ti-4400 in all regards with the exception of nVidia Surround and SLI on my second computer. That has required a little more maintenance than usual but my main single GPU computer has never given me any trouble from the GPU side of things.

No subject
Nov 30, 2015, 22:59
No subject Nov 30, 2015, 22:59
Nov 30, 2015, 22:59

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 22:49:
TDR issues must be very limited. ...

As for the AMD Crimson driver issues, well, this is why I have had nVidia GPUs exclusively in the past 15+ years Wink .

It's not. Back before the nvidia forums were hacked, there was a thread with 500k+ posts and 1.9m views over a 6mo period just on TDR problems, it was so bad that nvidia was paying shipping people in the US to send them their PC's so they could test them in their labs. Blue posted a story on it a few years ago.

The TDR problems became very bad around the 310.x drivers, and it has to do with the low powerstate used to keep the cards cool. Unfortunately, some cards don't handle low power settings well and crash causing a TDR. Usually those same cards also have a high power state problem, causing them to TDR when they're running at close to 100% usage as well. It's not a person problem, it's a driver and GPU problem on their cards.

Oh and nvidia has had the fan control problem twice in the past, and they simply washed their hands of having their drivers burn out cards because the fan settings were too low.
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Nov 30, 2015, 22:49
Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Nov 30, 2015, 22:49
Nov 30, 2015, 22:49

TDR issues must be very limited. In ~15 years of nVidia GPUs from various vendors I have only seen the driver crash a couple of times and ONLY when a game crashed (mostly older games) and dragged the driver with it (= the game's fault). The driver restarted and recovered in less than a second so it was a complete non-issue every time.

I'm betting that, as usual, the real TDR issue is actually sitting in front of the screen and fucking around with nVidia Inspector to the point where the driver gives the dude the finger because of all the n00bness.

As for the AMD Crimson driver issues, well, this is why I have had nVidia GPUs exclusively in the past 15+ years Wink .

No subject
Nov 30, 2015, 22:09
No subject Nov 30, 2015, 22:09
Nov 30, 2015, 22:09

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 09:26:
Well.. Nvidia pulled this once.. good to see AMD drivers are "improving"

Nvidia pulled it twice actually. And they still have the TDR problem nearly 3 years later.
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Nov 30, 2015, 20:24
Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Nov 30, 2015, 20:24
Nov 30, 2015, 20:24

Do they, though? I'm well aware of the mythos, but I was trying to find actual measurements of the noise and came up with a couple saying it was no louder than modern leaf blower coolers at 58-60 dB. As they pioneered the technique, it seems that old fan made a more annoying whirring sound at its highest RPM, but it doesn't surprise me that the root of the joke is good, old-fashioned exaggeration.

Nov 30, 2015, 19:49
Re: AMD Crimson Drivers Issue Nov 30, 2015, 19:49
Nov 30, 2015, 19:49

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 19:36:
You're right, AMD would never release notoriously hot and loud GPUs! Oh wait, you don't have to go back 10 years for that...

290X

And all of them pale in comparison to the Champion of Noise, nVidia's inimitable nV30...! Known affectionately as "The Leaf Blower"...in 3d gaming circles everywhere...;)
It is well known that I don't make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in something I have written, you can be confident in the fact that *I* did not write it.
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older