Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Morning Mobilization

• Amazon Prime Air. "Jeremy Clarkson Introduces Amazon's New Delivery Drones." Thanks HARDOCP.
  • Worch. "Worch is a fresh and dynamic word search puzzle with tons of levels, handmade graphics and several game types (shuffle board, countdown timer...)."
View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 1, 2015, 12:34 killer_roach

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 07:45:
Packstation only works for DHL packages and at least where I live it's ALWAYS full during xmas. Otherwise that's a good idea.. still would prefer a drone landing on my roof dropping package in a rain proof container and flying away. But you are right of course... considering how insane our regulations are it's a miracle postal service is even allowed to deliver packages... where I live drone can definitely NOT land in the garden ;p Not to mention I don't want my packages sitting in the garden ~.~

Siting is definitely an issue - where I'm at (if the FAA clears these operations) I could just have it land on my balcony, where anybody willing to go through the hassle of getting up there probably deserves that box more than I do But yeah, most people aren't that fortunate as it pertains to a good, undisturbed location. (If this catches on, though, I could almost see a market in developing some sort of a drop chute system for drones to deliver into...)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 1, 2015, 07:45 eRe4s3r

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 21:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 10:53:
Either way, considering I miss literally EVERY fucking package the postal dudes send me I welcome these drones. I would even build a drone port.

Dude, you're in Germany, right? Why not use Packstation? Never miss a shipment again and pick up at your convenience after work, before work, between fucking your wife and your neighbor... ANYTIME!

Also, this drone business will take a loooooong time to get cleared for German airspace. Our country is too populated. You don't want a drone like this to collide with a police or SAR helicopter or GA and flying on street level is not as practical as in the US since houses in DE are usually taller and roads narrower.
I'm very sure it will take years of testing and regulation before this stuff gets a clearance to use the already very crowded German airspace, if ever.

Packstation only works for DHL packages and at least where I live it's ALWAYS full during xmas. Otherwise that's a good idea.. still would prefer a drone landing on my roof dropping package in a rain proof container and flying away. But you are right of course... considering how insane our regulations are it's a miracle postal service is even allowed to deliver packages... where I live drone can definitely NOT land in the garden ;p Not to mention I don't want my packages sitting in the garden ~.~

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 1, 2015, 03:54 InBlack

Corporate Drones, and the National Rifle Association. What could go possibly wrong?

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2015, 06:56.

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 21:01 CJ_Parker

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 10:53:
Either way, considering I miss literally EVERY fucking package the postal dudes send me I welcome these drones. I would even build a drone port.

Dude, you're in Germany, right? Why not use Packstation? Never miss a shipment again and pick up at your convenience after work, before work, between fucking your wife and your neighbor... ANYTIME!

Also, this drone business will take a loooooong time to get cleared for German airspace. Our country is too populated. You don't want a drone like this to collide with a police or SAR helicopter or GA and flying on street level is not as practical as in the US since houses in DE are usually taller and roads narrower.
I'm very sure it will take years of testing and regulation before this stuff gets a clearance to use the already very crowded German airspace, if ever.

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 17:03 harlock

i heard trump is an afican muslim lesbian in disguise  

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 15:56 Dagnamit

harlock wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 13:53:
Dagnamit wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 13:30:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 12:26:
Yeah, this is going to be awesome
Toddler loses eyeball after errant drone slices it in half. arstechnica

"Hi-Tech drones are killing our children, and that's OK." The Verge.

"The same drones meant for ISIS are killing American children." CNN

really????? golly gee tell me what else to think!

"Local internet celebrity Harlock picked up an carried away by drone swarm, Trump says, 'some drones, i assume, are good people.'" Fox News??!?

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 15:08 SlimRam

Just wait till the damn drones start to get too smart. One day they are delivering someone's gun; next day, they are taking the guns they deliver and start mounting them on each other BAM! It's the freakin' Rise of the Machines and those cuddly little drones have become HUNTER KILLERS!!!  

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 14:34 theglaze

Can't wait to order a high-power laser from Amazon and shoot down the drone that delivered it! muwhahah!  

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 13:53 harlock

Dagnamit wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 13:30:

really????? golly gee tell me what else to think!

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 13:30 Dagnamit

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 12:55 killer_roach

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 11:11:
The local Amazon warehouse here in Norther Kentucky/Cincinnati is right next door to the Airport, how exactly is this going to work Stateside?

Not every Amazon fulfillment center is in the middle of nowhere. The CVG node in Hebron, I admit, is rather population-isolated, but the other nodes in Kentucky (LEX and SDF) could cover significant portions of two metro areas. Also, in recent years, you're seeing more facilities built closer to large cities - in terms of the sites that might be using Prime Air, you have one right on the outskirts of Dallas, a couple that could cover decent parts of southern California (although not LA or SD specifically), a smaller center in Manhattan, and sites getting ready to open or in the planning stages that are in drone range of quite a few more major cities.

That being said, things will get interesting once they develop further generations of drones that have improved range - not talking anything huge, but if they could expand that radius from 15 to, say, 50 miles that could potentially cover tons more people, especially for fulfillment centers in and around major metro areas (for instance, a 50 mile radius would be enough to get the large facility in southeast Wisconsin to deliver to around the north side of Chicago, not to mention pretty much all of Milwaukee).

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 12:26 RedEye9

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 11:11 The Half Elf

The local Amazon warehouse here in Norther Kentucky/Cincinnati is right next door to the Airport, how exactly is this going to work Stateside?  

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 10:53 eRe4s3r

From the looks of it this thing is quite large. It must be if uses plain aerodynamics +1 engine to fly forward and that means a dog, wind, snow, rain etc won't be a problem. In reality I think this will be to special landing locations only that they first "spotted" out. Not straight into your garden into your dog... or flower bed...

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 10:36 Dagnamit

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 10:29:
SlimRam wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 09:31:
  • Amazon Prime Air. "Jeremy Clarkson Introduces Amazon's New Delivery Drones."

• Ummm...aren't these drones going be shot down and or destroyed/stolen in some way? They can't be cheap.

Most areas regulate bubba shooting wildly into the air.
    And the thief that get's filmed by the drone he's stealing while it sends it's location +/- 5cm is going to be in for a rude awakening.

On top of the fact that thieves will have no way to use the thing they've stolen. They'll use some sort of encrypted communication system, right? A common thief (read, moron) won't know what to do with or sell the parts of the drone. Motors, camera, plastic and a logic board. The reason this can work is because these things are cheap and can be automated. And besides, when I need toilet paper, I need it right effing now.

I curious to see if this can work. They're talking about it like they have the major issues sorted. Bring it on, I say.

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 10:33 HorrorScope

I just want to know how they are going to reason this with dogs? Let alone rgulations, wind and about 100 other things.

This imo is how Amazon plays the media the fool and I love it. They rarely advertise with any station, but the stations talk about drones, which is an advert for Amazon. Free advert and they don't even see it.

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 10:29 RedEye9

• Ummm...aren't these drones going be shot down and or destroyed/stolen in some way? They can't be cheap.

Most areas regulate bubba shooting wildly into the air.
    And the thief that get's filmed by the drone he's stealing while it sends it's location +/- 5cm is going to be in for a rude awakening.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 10:13 Frijoles

Ummm...aren't these drones going be shot down and or destroyed/stolen in some way? They can't be cheap.

People keep suggesting this, but a FedEx truck seems easier to steal. They have no door and leave the key in. Also, the drones have cameras, so it'd probably only happen a few times if that.

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 30, 2015, 09:31 SlimRam

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >