Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources

There's a statement on GameSpot responding to postings on the GameDealsMeta subreddit, as online game store Green Man Gaming denies accusations that some of the keys they sell are shady "grey market" keys, though their description of these being acquired "responsibly through authorised third parties" helps understand where these concerns originate. They respond to accusations of shadiness thusly: "We find the research carried out by the Reddit Game Deal mods has been subjective or inaccurate. We know they share the same aims as we do; to offer customers great value on great games, so it brings us no pleasure to publicly state - they are wrong." Here's more from Paul Sulyok CEO Green Man Gaming:

We reiterate that we source our keys from a range of over 400 publishers, developers, and distributors to meet customerís demands on a title by title basis. Letís be clear here; there is a difference between being an authorised retailer for some titles, and being a retailer selling keys that have been sourced responsibly through authorised third parties with revenue going back to the publisher. If a key unlocks, it is an authentic key. This isnít a perfect science as human error can affect the supply chain. Where possible, we work directly with publishers and distributors to make sure customers have the very best experience with us.

Whenever things outside of our control have happened, we have instantly and fairly tried to make it right. We accept that we donít always get it right, and we are sorry for any inconvenience caused. Weíd like to take this opportunity to thank our customers, the Reddit Game Deal community, and everyone who has supported us.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 18, 2015, 08:34 SpectralMeat

jamiedj99 wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 20:30:
so up until this year you didnt like buying from steam because they never offed you a refund....now i am confused GMG has always refunded
I don't think GMG refund games ones you've redeemed the key and played the game under your account.Steam refund is different.
Games bought on Steam can be refunded after you've played it.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 20:30 jamiedj99

so up until this year you didnt like buying from steam because they never offed you a refund....now i am confused GMG has always refunded even offered a new key if your old one didnt work.  

31. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 16:58 Dev

Creston wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 12:41:
Jerykk wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 04:09:
Back to GMG, it makes sense that not all publishers would want to sign contracts with them. GMG routinely offers 20-30% off pre-orders (or any game, really) and publishers generally don't like it when such discounts are offered so early.

Don't the publishers get the same amount of money no matter what the retail price ends up being? How does that discussion even go??

"Hey, we make 30 bucks per copy sold, and if the retailer sells a million at 40 bucks, we have 30 million bucks."
"No, the retailer has to sell at 60 bucks, so we only sell half a million copies!"
"But... then we only... have... 15... my head hurts."
Would depend on the contract. Some could be for percentages, or for a scale that adjusts as the price of the game falls, etc.
I know valve lets devs get however many free keys they want. No idea if they restrict the use of those.

30. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 16:36 descender

keep some money away from valve

Yeah, fuck them for hosting your game for free forever. Those jerks!

I don't really understand why Valve lets anyone redeem these discounted keys. It would seem to be completely counter-productive for them.

29. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 16:25 saluk

I had a key go bad and they credited my account and sent a new one. More often they've let me buy the game even though they had run out of keys, meaning I had to wait for them to get more stock, which was pretty annoying. For the price, and knowing that they will always work through the problems that are unavoidable with a third party key store, it's not a huge issue. If you can get good savings, great.

Save money, keep some money away from valve, and give them at least a little bit of competition, while STILL having the game on my steam account? A few bad keys that are resolved every once in a while is worth it.

28. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 14:21 Fion

I've only ever once had a problem with a GMG key, it was with the notorious Witcher 3 debacle. I e-mailed them that I wanted a refund and was buying off another source. They refunded me that day and gave me a 40% off 'anything' code that was valid for a few months.  

27. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 13:23 NegaDeath

GMG is awesome never had a problem until this week and it's only a minor problem. Saving $10-$20 per game adds up. Over time the gains outweigh the risks.  

26. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 12:41 Creston

Back to GMG, it makes sense that not all publishers would want to sign contracts with them. GMG routinely offers 20-30% off pre-orders (or any game, really) and publishers generally don't like it when such discounts are offered so early.

Don't the publishers get the same amount of money no matter what the retail price ends up being? How does that discussion even go??

"Hey, we make 30 bucks per copy sold, and if the retailer sells a million at 40 bucks, we have 30 million bucks."
"No, the retailer has to sell at 60 bucks, so we only sell half a million copies!"
"But... then we only... have... 15... my head hurts."

25. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 11:36 gray

Echoing the thoughts on GMG, I use them all the time vs Steam as they have better prices.  

24. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 10:38 Citizen P

I'm stuck without a key for my Star Wars Battlefront. I received an e-mail with a confirm for the Oct 19th end of day at the latest and 30% discount coupon. I ordered a month ago, I would be annoyed if I had time off, but, with FO4 - I find myself indifferent.

If I can combine the 30% with other offers, I will be quite pleased.

23. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 09:53 Dev

I think he missed a "no" that he meant to put so it would read "no difference"

"Letís be clear here; there is a difference"

22. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 09:32 Kxmode

I would rather pay full price on Steam and have the option to get a refund if needed. There are no refunds through GMG and other key sellers. That lack of guarantee isn't worth the $10-20 saved.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

21. Re: Endless Space 2 Announced Nov 17, 2015, 08:01 Bitterbug

I bought Skyrim Legendary through them since it was cheaper than just upgrading my base Skyrim install, and got Fallout 4 at 22% off the based USD price. That saved me almost 20 dollars since the USD price was $60 and the CAD price was $80.
I even won Pillars of Eternity and Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate through their contests (which they have a lot of).
The service is good and they have fun with their community.

On the other hand...
Reddit has misidentified bombing suspects, become home to all kinds of questionable groups, and is generally ranked only slightly above 4chan by me these days.

20. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 07:58 SpectralMeat

Asmodai wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 01:32:
as far as I'm concerned, they've earned my trust and my tolerance if something does happen to fuck up.
Same here, I really like GMG, and their customer service is pretty awesome too.
They are my number 1 preferred place to buy games from.
Not sure what's up with idiot people constantly throw mud at these guys and label them as grey market key sellers.
This isn't the first time GMG has to defend themselves against allegations like that.
Same shit happened when The Witcher 3 was released.

Steam: SpectralMeat

19. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 07:25 Arithon

Julio wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 05:23:
If unfair regional pricing wasn't happening, there would be less of a need for GMG and other key sellers.

+1

Regional monopolies and scalping of "rich" markets give rise to grey markets.

Level the playing field. The world is one market. Price accordingly, or drive potential customers elsewhere.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

18. No subject Nov 17, 2015, 06:26 Mashiki Amiketo

Pretty much. That entire thread is full of idiots, mods included who don't know how the supply chains work. GMG can simply order keys through a 2nd tier party at a heavily discounted price for x units(usually in quantities of 5k-10k+). That doesn't make any of the keys grey market, illegal, or anything else. They're bypassing the publisher, and still making a profit because they're leveraging their buying power with a upstream distributor(said distributor is also leveraging against the publisher by buying 30k+ at a low price ant the publisher is fine with it) and the publisher is throwing a fit because they're buying large numbers of keys in bulk, making a large profit and undercutting them on steam at the same time.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

17. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 05:56 eRe4s3r

same here, bought at least 5 games on mmoga, and never had a problem, and often for 30% to 90% less than on Steam/Origin/uPlay  

16. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 05:23 Julio

If unfair regional pricing wasn't happening, there would be less of a need for GMG and other key sellers.  

15. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 04:35 DangerDog

GMG sourced global region keys for Star Wars Battlefront but apparently they're tied to the UK release date so people have to wait till the 19th to get their key.

I think people are being a little silly with their demands, they discounted the game %20 - %25 which is quite good for a new game.

I've never had any issues with keys purchased from GMG.

14. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 04:09 Jerykk

The whole "unauthorized seller" controversy is getting silly. It's not illegal to buy and resell keys. Contrary to apparently popular belief, said keys are not inherently "shady." They are not stolen and not Russian (Russian keys are region locked). The two reported incidents of keys being revoked both originated from random sellers on the G2A/Kinguin marketplaces (similar to how Amazon allows third-party sellers on their site). I've bought keys from G2A (not random sellers on their marketplace), CDkeys.com, GMG and plenty of "unauthorized sellers" and never had any problems.

The people who constantly whine about the gray market usually have never even bought anything from said market and are basing their skepticism on pure speculation rather than fact or even personal experience.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo