Game Reviews

View : : :
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Game Reviews
Nov 17, 2015, 15:17
Re: Game Reviews Nov 17, 2015, 15:17
Nov 17, 2015, 15:17

It is easy to get lost in the exploration in the beginning. I've played for an obscene amount of time in the past week, just reached level 47 last night, and I've barely touched the story. But just two of those missions after reaching Diamond City, and holy shit, the entire landscape has changed... You'll know what I mean when you get there.

Nov 17, 2015, 14:53
Re: Game Reviews Nov 17, 2015, 14:53
Nov 17, 2015, 14:53

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 14:31:
Since when is utilizing a primary mechanic of the game (crafting) considered "gaming the game?" I will grant you they should mention in the perk description that shotguns are grouped in with rifles (different perks for single-shot and automatic), but otherwise all of that stuff is pretty straightforward.

Say you take a pipe gun; with a pistol grip and short barrel it is meant for close range hip-firing, but put a long barrel on it and it is then less accurate when fired from the hip but has a longer range and is more accurate when aiming down the sights. Put a stock on it and it turns into a rifle, which has better recoil control but even worse hip-firing accuracy. Put a scope on it and it's a sniper rifle, with more sighted accuracy and longer range. Upgrade the receiver (possibly to a larger-caliber bullet) and you increase the damage. Single-shot does more damage, or you can turn it into an automatic for higher rate of fire with less damage per shot.

You control all of these things, every aspect of your weapon. Use a proper one for the way you want to fight and you won't have an issue with being effective in combat. But no matter what, upgrade to something better than a pipe gun ASAP, lol, 'cause they're meant to be crap. Hunting rifles can be found pretty early on, and they last a long time, eventually able to be upgraded to .50 cal.

As for Strength-based characters, melee is really not a one-size-fits-all combat solution. You're gonna need to be super tanky and creative in how you approach situations, and even then you're not going to be as effective as you might like until you fill out that side of the perk tree. The 'Rooted' perk opens up a stick-and-move playstyle that should make you near-unstoppable when you use it correctly, but you're still going to need backup weapons for some threats, like those rooftop snipers. You get the perk to improve heavy weapons, which is a class that encompasses a wide variety of ranged attacks, so I'm sure you'll find something you like.

Ok, now thats a proper retort. Thanks for that, you changed my mind about giving up on the game so Ill stick with it a little bit more because like Verno said, it's a little bit boring so far.
I have a nifty blue line!

Nov 17, 2015, 14:31
Re: Game Reviews Nov 17, 2015, 14:31
Nov 17, 2015, 14:31

Since when is utilizing a primary mechanic of the game (crafting) considered "gaming the game?" I will grant you they should mention in the perk description that shotguns are grouped in with rifles (different perks for single-shot and automatic), but otherwise all of that stuff is pretty straightforward.

Say you take a pipe gun; with a pistol grip and short barrel it is meant for close range hip-firing, but put a long barrel on it and it is then less accurate when fired from the hip but has a longer range and is more accurate when aiming down the sights. Put a stock on it and it turns into a rifle, which has better recoil control but even worse hip-firing accuracy. Put a scope on it and it's a sniper rifle, with more sighted accuracy and longer range. Upgrade the receiver (possibly to a larger-caliber bullet) and you increase the damage. Single-shot does more damage, or you can turn it into an automatic for higher rate of fire with less damage per shot.

You control all of these things, every aspect of your weapon. Use a proper one for the way you want to fight and you won't have an issue with being effective in combat. But no matter what, upgrade to something better than a pipe gun ASAP, lol, 'cause they're meant to be crap. Hunting rifles can be found pretty early on, and they last a long time, eventually able to be upgraded to .50 cal.

As for Strength-based characters, melee is really not a one-size-fits-all combat solution. You're gonna need to be super tanky and creative in how you approach situations, and even then you're not going to be as effective as you might like until you fill out that side of the perk tree. The 'Rooted' perk opens up a stick-and-move playstyle that should make you near-unstoppable when you use it correctly, but you're still going to need backup weapons for some threats, like those rooftop snipers. You get the perk to improve heavy weapons, which is a class that encompasses a wide variety of ranged attacks, so I'm sure you'll find something you like.

Nov 17, 2015, 13:34
Verno

Re: Game Reviews Nov 17, 2015, 13:34
Nov 17, 2015, 13:34
 Verno

Go to Diamond City and explore the game from there. It leads you to some cool locales and quests that are more interesting than the random shit from Sanctuary. I thought the game was pretty boring around the beginning areas/quests but becomes much more interesting as you progress.

Also melee characters own and can do some crazy shit once you build up a bit. Melee/sneak is especially fun.
Playing: Trials of Mana Remake, FF7R
Watching: Into the Light

Nov 17, 2015, 13:14
Re: Game Reviews Nov 17, 2015, 13:14
Nov 17, 2015, 13:14

So yeah, thanks for confirming to me that Fallout4 is only fun when you game the game. Try playing a strength oriented character and get back to me. I do however wonder how you managed to make markers, I couldn't place any on the map no matter how much I tried left or right clicking on it.

Nov 17, 2015, 10:17
Kxmode

Re: Game Reviews Nov 17, 2015, 10:17
Nov 17, 2015, 10:17
 Kxmode

InBlack wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 08:09:
My 2 hours impression of the game was about 7/10. After playing for another 3 hours, its down to 6/10. Its just not fun. The exploration seems cool at first, but all the buildings are the same fucking drab shit from the inside.

That was your impression after only 5 hours? I have 36 hours logged and I know for the fact the buildings aren't the same on the inside. I haven't been in a building yet that looked identical to another.

The combat was cool at first, until you figure out that none of the weapons have classes and you cant figure out what class your weapon of choice is to improve it. For example, sawed of shotgun. What is that? A rifle? A heavy gun? What? The game doesn't say so and fuck you very much.

That's the point. Weapon classes don't exist because weapons can be fully modified. Look at the weapon's characteristics. Does it shoot bullets or beams? Is it melee or range? Is it AOE or precision? Are you using a weapon or your power suit? Match up the weapon with your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. and Perks for maximum damage. More than likely you'll be switching between two weapons. For example I carry a Fat Man for mass AOE damage and a high damage pew-pew sniper for one-shot kills via V.A.T.S.

Most of the fights are setup so that there are turrets everywhere and guys will snipe you from rooftops, walkways, basically everywhere so fuck you STR focused characters.

V.A.T.S. is an extremely helpful tool for finding enemies and mines, like a radar system. For example, in College Square Station mobs where attacking me so I ran on top of a bus. From there I spammed "Q" and as I scanned the surroundings V.A.T.S. was able to help me find targets I couldn't see. I was able to pick them off, and nuke the rest. Sniper is an awesome Perk for hitting targets behind walls with V.A.T.S.

The combat in Fallout 4 is mostly urban warfare, not terrain based. For that reason you would benefit from using abandoned buildings to your advantage. It may require clearing out one to get top side however once there you can pick off a lot of enemies pretty easily. Just remember: he who has high ground, wins!

Weapons are a mess, all the guns do horrible damage and are piss poor accurate unless you happen to invest in exactly the right perks. Which the game doesn't tell you what they are.

Perks and S.P.E.C.I.A.L. play a part but weapon modifications help most. Almost every weapon you loot is garbage. You'll need to upgrade using Wasteland trash. That piece of shit weapon after a few mods will start doing massive damage with awesome accuracy. Also remember that looted weapons from the northwest corner is nooby stuff. When you move east and south (and especially south east) you'll start encountering more difficult mobs that have better weapon loot.

Side note, wait until you get the Junk Jet (available inside ArcJet Systems). Nothing more fun than killing a mob with a teddy bear! This is an awesome backup weapon simply because it uses all that trash you picked up as ammo. In the meantime you'll occasionally run in Legendary mobs that have powerful weapons. Killing these types of mobs is no easy feat... let me tell you.

Grenades usually kill me when I throw them cos there are invisible walls everywhere.

Never throw a grenade down or straight out. Always throw it up.

Armor is a mess. So many pieces of apparel that do shit all, unless you find a armor bench and then somehow luck out into making some of it better, or something.

Armor in Fo4 is different. It's worn in layers. You can modify each piece. Modifying armor make each piece stronger and can give bonuses. You can also mod your armor to enhance specific attributes and perks. For example one mod will give you a huge +50% buff to strength, another will buff your Charisma. You can also wear armor OVER your modified armor like knee and shoulder pads.

The powered suit is nice and everything, if you like running into bullets and slow punching guys in the face.

Why would you run into bullets and slow punch guys in the face? It's armor... not a tank. You still take damage and you can die.

Oh and you can't place markers on the map. WHAT. THE. FUCK?!. Found a cool armor bench, and want to mark it for fast travel later? Fuck you! Can't do that.

You can place markers on the map. Either left or right click on the map will bring up an option to create a marker. Left clicking that marker again will let you delete it.

Fuck me am I angry for buying this shit. Serves me right for ignoring my gut.

It sounds like you have other issues. Fallout 4 isn't the reason you're angry.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2015, 12:56.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Nov 17, 2015, 08:09
Re: Game Reviews Nov 17, 2015, 08:09
Nov 17, 2015, 08:09

The more Im playing Fallout4 the more Im hating it. If you liked Minecraft though, and enjoy collecting virtual junk, and virtual dolls, and don't mind the mind-numbingly horrible combat, you will love this game. Or something.

My 2 hours impression of the game was about 7/10. After playing for another 3 hours, its down to 6/10. Its just not fun. The exploration seems cool at first, but all the buildings are the same fucking drab shit from the inside. The combat was cool at first, until you figure out that none of the weapons have classes and you cant figure out what class your weapon of choice is to improve it. For example, sawed of shotgun. What is that? A rifle? A heavy gun? What? The game doesn't say so and fuck you very much. Right now I can only spray and pray with my guy, cos melee is gimped beyond belief unless you are in tight corridors and the accurate guns are not really accurate. So pick the gun that sprays the most and has the most bullets. Most of the fights are setup so that there are turrets everywhere and guys will snipe you from rooftops, walkways, basically everywhere so fuck you STR focused characters. Fuck you CHA focused characters cos that does shit too.

Weapons are a mess, all the guns do horrible damage and are piss poor accurate unless you happen to invest in exactly the right perks. Which the game doesn't tell you what they are. Did I mention that before? I guess I did. Well it's worth another mention or three. Grenades usually kill me when I throw them cos there are invisible walls everywhere. VATS is only useful if you have a precise and long ranged stand off weapon, for everything else it is pathetic. Armor is a mess. So many pieces of apparel that do shit all, unless you find a armor bench and then somehow luck out into making some of it better, or something. The powered suit is nice and everything, if you like running into bullets and slow punching guys in the face. I actually do better without it, even in melee, more damage, faster hitting, faster running, everything.

Oh and you can't place markers on the map. WHAT. THE. FUCK?!. Found a cool armor bench, and want to mark it for fast travel later? Fuck you! Can't do that. It doesn't help that the map corresponds maybe 5% to the actual layout of the buildings, they didn't even bother to line up the main roads in the towns. This last part is insulting, in a fucking exploration game. Fuck me am I angry for buying this shit. Serves me right for ignoring my gut.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2015, 08:26.

Nov 16, 2015, 20:20
Re: Game Reviews Nov 16, 2015, 20:20
Nov 16, 2015, 20:20

WaB was pretty spot on. Except for graphics. F4 looks way better than the old games. I think he just doesn't remember F3. F4 has serious issues. It's also not much of a RPG anymore. But damn it's fun to play.

Nov 16, 2015, 18:42
Re: Game Reviews Nov 16, 2015, 18:42
Nov 16, 2015, 18:42

hes definitely a toolbag.. reminds me of a prepube the way he complains about something once, then praises it a few minutes later, then complains about it again, then complains about something and gets it totally WRONG as in, hes not doing it right, etc. etc.

its still kinda entertaining watching the shit show

Nov 16, 2015, 17:13
Kxmode

Re: Game Reviews Nov 16, 2015, 17:13
Nov 16, 2015, 17:13
 Kxmode

nin wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 15:38:
Kajetan wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 15:34:
Wallshadows wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 15:16:
I'm not even going to touch that WAB link.
Why?
Because that guy sucks.

He gave Arkham Knight a thumbs down and said it was awesome as a film but shit as a game. And by movie I think he means Mr. Nolan's Batman trilogy. He also appears to be reviewing it on a console and so his complaints had nothing to do with technical issues but rather he didn't like the gameplay itself. ANYHOW! Smash
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Nov 16, 2015, 15:43
Re: Game Reviews Nov 16, 2015, 15:43
Nov 16, 2015, 15:43

agree

Nov 16, 2015, 15:42
Re: Game Reviews Nov 16, 2015, 15:42
Nov 16, 2015, 15:42

nin wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 15:38:
Because that guy sucks.
If you say so ...

Nov 16, 2015, 15:38
nin

Re: Game Reviews Nov 16, 2015, 15:38
Nov 16, 2015, 15:38
 nin

Kajetan wrote on Nov 16, 2015, 15:34:
Why?

Because that guy sucks.

Nov 16, 2015, 15:34
Re: Game Reviews Nov 16, 2015, 15:34
Nov 16, 2015, 15:34

Why? It was a decent review, with some Pros and some Cons and some nagging and some praising and in the end he thought that FO4 is worth his money. Not great, not TEH BEST GAME EVAR, but nice enough to have fun with.

Nov 16, 2015, 15:16
Re: Game Reviews Nov 16, 2015, 15:16
Nov 16, 2015, 15:16

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older