Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Legacy of the Void Sells 1M

Blizzard tweets about the early success of Legacy of the Void, their just-released conclusion of the StarCraft II trilogy. Word is the real-time strategy game has already sold over one million units. They offer their gratitude, saying: "Thanks for making the launch of #LotV a success! We’ll see you in the Koprulu Sector, Commanders!" Thanks DSOGaming.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 15, 2015, 09:38 Yifes

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 21:59:
I'm sorry but if you believe this, you are functionally braindead. RTS singleplayer is still about dragging units from point A to point b and overwhelming the enemy, like no strategy involved. RTS single player has always been generally crappy in RTS land, the problem is they made no new innovations.

That's exactly what most of the missions in SC1 were like. Build a giant army, then roll over the enemy. Having to 1a2a3a4a5a instead of F2a does not mean more strategy. Now at least you have to think about what upgrades to choose and what units you want to bring before the mission starts.

If you think those gimmicks are innovative you prove just how braindead the average gamer is.

Not all of the new "gimmicks" are great, but some of them are. For example, the choices you had to make between missions in terms of units, upgrades, or story. Or certain mission mechanics like the night/day change in Outbreak is pretty much universally lauded by critics.

If you believe the singleplayer campaign of SC2 is better than SC1 in terms of story you're an idiot.

I did not say that. I said the story for both SC1 and SC2 are bad. I said the campaign for SC2 is better than SC1 because there is at least some more variety.

Let us not forget SC1 was a groundbreaking game at the time, SC2 did none of what blizzard used to be known for.

Let's not forget that what actually made SC1 great was not its campiagn or its story, but its multiplayer. Starcraft did not sell tens of millions of copies because of its story. People were not buying it years after release for the singleplayer. Brood War's near perfect multiplayer balance, and the phenomenon that started the era of Esports is what made SC1 great. When SC1 was being played live in front of tens of thousands of people and watched by hundreds of thousands, nobody gave a shit about it's single player. If all SC1 had was its campaign, it would be a forgotten footnote in the history of gaming, like Command and Conquer.

I did back stuff up, in terms of story... the love interest in SC2 vs SC1 story makes no sense, aka raynor as a character has been retconned. In SC1 he had a vicious hatred towards kerrigan towards the end of of SC1.

Retconning a story doesn't automatically make the new story bad.

The next is Tassadar, the heroic sacrifice he made in SC1 and then in SC2 he pops out of nowhere with no warning or justification, it was all so forced... it was the worst bit of story telling I've seen in gaming history...

Somebody didn't play Legacy of the Void....

And I think you're lacking the IQ to perform any serious analysis.

The problem isn't that Starcraft 2 is bad. The problem is that you're an asshole who's full of yourself and can't handle it when thing's don't go your way.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2015, 10:21.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 15, 2015, 01:48 Suppa7

Frijoles wrote on Nov 15, 2015, 00:46:
You don't strike me as having sufficient brainpower if you call SC2 better than SC1.

All you're doing is calling him names and not backing anything up. Why do you feel SC1 was better? Give some examples.

I did back stuff up, in terms of story... the love interest in SC2 vs SC1 story makes no sense, aka raynor as a character has been retconned. In SC1 he had a vicious hatred towards kerrigan towards the end of of SC1. In SC2 he is somehow now in love with her for no reason, other than the original SC1 team had been disbanded and the wow crew papered over the story of SC1 with bullshit they dropped out of the sky. I've played SC1/SC2 recently so that's how I know how different both are, since I've played them back to back.

The next is Tassadar, the heroic sacrifice he made in SC1 and then in SC2 he pops out of nowhere with no warning or justification, it was all so forced... it was the worst bit of story telling I've seen in gaming history... it just goes to show you how World of warcraft basically wrecked the chances for good continuity for both Starcraft and Diablo's story, WoW made blizzard fat and lazy with all that MMO money rolling in.

Problems with SC2 Innovation Vs. SC1: At the time SC1 was released, we were moving from warcraft (clones of races) to the three innovative races of Starcraft 1. It was a step foward for RTS as a whole, a benchmark against other RTS games. Blizzard was breaking new ground in both gameplay and story at the time it was released. None of that is true with SC2, SC2 is by and large for hyper competitive koreans... basically the korean scene that developed in SC1's multiplayer community came to dominate in such a way as to limit innovation in SC2... aka the lack of freedom to experiment outside of traditional RTS gameplay, to come up with NEW ideas rather than the same old build base spam units, conquer your enemy.

I could go on but there are multiple reasons why that could take up pages...

20. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 15, 2015, 00:46 Frijoles

You don't strike me as having sufficient brainpower if you call SC2 better than SC1.

All you're doing is calling him names and not backing anything up. Why do you feel SC1 was better? Give some examples. I don't recall a whole lot of depth in the SC1 missions. It was primarily "build base and overwhelm enemy" or "take this tiny group to point X". I could add that SC2 has a few other mission types, but you'd just call them a gimmick. Not really sure what you're looking for in an RTS.

19. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 14, 2015, 21:59 Suppa7

Yifes wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 11:01:
Starcraft 1 story was bad too. You just didn't realize it 18 years ago. LOTV's story is certainly on par with what Blizzard has produced before.

The point was the lore and atmosphere they established in the original is gone because the original team no longer exists. That was the point, the game doesn't feel like a true sequel.

They have added so much more mission variety and gameplay mechanics, include mutually exclusive between mission upgrade choices, single player only units with overpowered abilities, etc that I find the singleplayer to be much more interesting and varied than the SC1 campaign.

I'm sorry but if you believe this, you are functionally braindead. RTS singleplayer is still about dragging units from point A to point b and overwhelming the enemy, like no strategy involved. RTS single player has always been generally crappy in RTS land, the problem is they made no new innovations. If you think those gimmicks are innovative you prove just how braindead the average gamer is.

SC1 is a better multiplayer game than SC2 (at least up to HOTS, we'll see if LOTV can recapture the glory days of Brood War MP), but the SC2 singleplayer campaign is significantly better than SC1.

If you believe the singleplayer campaign of SC2 is better than SC1 in terms of story you're an idiot. I was hoping for some real innovation in the single player portion of the game with SC2, what we got again was rehash with gimmicks.

I think you're just old and jaded and looking back through rose colored glasses of nostalgia.

And I think you're lacking the IQ to perform any serious analysis. You don't strike me as having sufficient brainpower if you call SC2 better than SC1. Let us not forget SC1 was a groundbreaking game at the time, SC2 did none of what blizzard used to be known for.

18. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 14, 2015, 12:12 Slick

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 10:35:
Kajetan wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 02:56:
Slick wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 02:49:
You do realize that WoL alone contained more missions than Starcraft 1? Regarding to playable content, SC2 is three full games. But hey, keep on ranting if that makes you happy.

You're arguing with someone who thinks $60+$40+$40=$200 so judge how much time and energy you spend on this thread accordingly.

lol, i was waiting for someone to notice ^_^

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

17. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 14, 2015, 12:01 Dmitri_M

I think I bought Starcraft 2. But I can't remember.

16. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 14, 2015, 11:01 Yifes

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 05:45:
You do realize that the single player is universally mundane and the story is bad and basically retcons the original universe of starcraft 1? SC2 is SC2 alternate universe... its like really bad fanfic.

Starcraft 1 story was bad too. You just didn't realize it 18 years ago. LOTV's story is certainly on par with what Blizzard has produced before.

the sc2 campaign and missions I was never impressed by... its missing the charm of the original SC and broodwar

They have added so much more mission variety and gameplay mechanics, include mutually exclusive between mission upgrade choices, single player only units with overpowered abilities, etc that I find the singleplayer to be much more interesting and varied than the SC1 campaign.

SC1 is a better multiplayer game than SC2 (at least up to HOTS, we'll see if LOTV can recapture the glory days of Brood War MP), but the SC2 singleplayer campaign is significantly better than SC1.

I think you're just old and jaded and looking back through rose colored glasses of nostalgia.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2015, 11:16.

15. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 14, 2015, 10:53 Agent.X7

Xero wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 23:34:
Glad to hear. Still have to complete Heart of the Swarm before I can continue where this one picks up.

Still working on that myself. Not a huge RTS fan, but I like the story.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

14. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 14, 2015, 10:35 Scottish Martial Arts

You do realize that WoL alone contained more missions than Starcraft 1? Regarding to playable content, SC2 is three full games. But hey, keep on ranting if that makes you happy.

You're arguing with someone who thinks $60+$40+$40=$200 so judge how much time and energy you spend on this thread accordingly.

13. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 14, 2015, 09:58 Kevin Lowe

JeffD wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 21:16:
Wish they would release a trilogy pack already, not spending $80 to play em all. -_-
They did.

https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/starcraft-ii-complete-collection

12. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 14, 2015, 06:48 Kajetan

You do realize that the single player is universally mundane and the story is bad and basically retcons the original universe of starcraft 1?
I do. But the quality of the story and the extent of playable missions are different topics.

11. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 14, 2015, 05:45 Suppa7

You do realize that the single player is universally mundane and the story is bad and basically retcons the original universe of starcraft 1? SC2 is SC2 alternate universe... its like really bad fanfic. The missions in SC2 were standard fare and SC2 is still about multiplayer mainly, the sc2 campaign and missions I was never impressed by... its missing the charm of the original SC and broodwar, the atmosphere is much different... and that whole Rayner + kerrigan thing they retconned... at the end of SC1, raynor and kerrigan were mad enemies because of kerrigans atrocities, the idea that he would take her as a love interest is bizarre beyond belief.

10. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 14, 2015, 02:56 Kajetan

9. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 14, 2015, 02:49 Slick

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 21:04:
I wonder if this had anything to do with the Warcraft 4 rumor? Basically it gist is Blizzard was going to decide on Warcraft 4 based on how well LOTV does.

This logic is so ridiculous I don't even know where to begin.

why make another rehash of an existing franchise that fans will buy bands over fist when our last RTS was split into 3 games over 5.5 years? APPARENTLY people didn't want to pay $200 for just one game? oh wait, they still bought it.

Although I guess compared with how much they'll make from CandyCrush, you really do have to wonder why it'd be worth their time to keep making games themselves. They might only clear 80 million in profit from such a game, is that even WORTH it????

talk about corporate overlords who have lost touch...

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

8. No subject Nov 14, 2015, 02:41 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 00:50:
There's also some free missions (3?) that bridge the gap between the two, I believe - not tried them myself.

There is 3 prologue missions between HoTS and LotV. There's also 3 epilogue post-LotV, the LotV ending is rather meh, but the last 3 missions post ending are pretty damn good. So far I've enjoyed the campaign quite a bit. So LotV gives you a total 25 missions, unless of course I've missed a secret mission in there somewhere which is possible.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 14, 2015, 00:50 nin

Xero wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 23:34:
Glad to hear. Still have to complete Heart of the Swarm before I can continue where this one picks up.

There's also some free missions (3?) that bridge the gap between the two, I believe - not tried them myself.

6. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 13, 2015, 23:34 Xero

Primarily playing: Witcher 3 again (2nd playthrough), MK11, Dead Cells, Turok 2, RE2

5. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 13, 2015, 22:15 Frijoles

Glad to see an RTS selling over a million units. The genre needs more releases. And this expansion was really well done. I'm about half-way through, and the variety of missions is great. Plus the cut-scenes after each mission are amazing. Only wish I had more time for both this and FO4.

4. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 13, 2015, 22:09 Creston

JeffD wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 21:16:
Wish they would release a trilogy pack already, not spending $80 to play em all. -_-

They go on sale from time to time, I think Blue even announced the last one. I got the Zerg expansion for like 10 bucks.

3. Re: Legacy of the Void Sells 1M Nov 13, 2015, 21:16 JeffD

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo