Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans

EA's Battlelog has details on Battlefield 4: Legacy Operations, a free DLC pack coming soon to Battlefield 4 for Windows, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. At the center of the release is Dragon Valley 2015, an updated version of the Dragon Valley map from Battlefield 2, saying this "opens up for vehicular mayhem on land, air, and sea, with a massive number of flags, and destructible and repairable bridges." This trailer shows off some play testing of the map, and here's a bit on how the original had to be changed:

If you played Battlefield 2, you likely remember the map – it was huge, with a massive number of flags, and destructible and repairable bridges. Our goal for this map is to make a great, large vehicle map for Battlefield 4 but at the same time modernize the original where appropriate.

Some things had to change when reimagining the map. Battlefield 2 featured a poor draw distance (how far you can see in the game world) by today’s standards, and the original map was built around those limitations. We tackled this in several ways: first we increased the terrain verticality to closer mimic a real life Chinese river valley – and to give us more terrain occlusion for long distances, especially on the central island. We also added a dynamic cloud layer, which not only adds a welcomed air-to-ground separation in terms of gameplay, but also helps shroud far distances at ground level. This has the added bonus effect of allowing you to have intense aerial firefights above the cloud level, which looks really, really cool in Battlefield 4.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 14, 2015, 03:47 <Electric-Spock>

Slick wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 07:37:
Suppa7 wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 02:42:
Slick wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 01:44:
"actual big maps" lol.

such rose-tinted nostalgia glasses, the article itself said explicitly how small a view distance there was in BF2 (and it was small, so very very small, like 150m). The point is that it "felt" bigger. When you have a 4KM view distance, nothing really changes with the skyline when you move around.

Size is relative, you'd actually have to sit down and do metric conversions of the time and distance travelled between games. It's quite possible for the maps to be larger in terms of space/travel time despite having 'lower distance'. AKA the relative distances are all that matter. So its quite possible if you blew up or scaled down he co-ordinate space (depending on which is bigger or smaller) you'd find out all sorts of interesting things.

this is true, you can't do an apples-to-apples comparison, but it does paint a picture. The move speed is the main factor, as most other assets are scaled relative to the player height (most games do this from what i'm told, player height is the first unit of measurement against everything else in the map).

that being said, you can use the (already metric =p) meter distance indicators on your hud, 400m to that flag etc. This correlates with the earlier games, assuming that a meter is still a meter. which is again probably measured against the height (and speed) of a player.

BF3 has had the biggest map in BF history so far, and it's freaking huuuuuge. but you can still easily still see the landforms on the opposing side of the map. hence my point that the most obvious factor in play here is the view distance. when the whole world bubble around your character can fit 10 times in the legnth of a map end to end, it "feels" bigger than if your world bubble already extends to either side of the map.

start walking from one uncap to the other in operation firestorm (bf3 and bf4) and it'll take you 20 minutes. and that map isn't the biggest of the big maps. and jesus goddamn, the music in that trailer... gives me tingles.

nope...

I'll remove my rose tint nostalgia shades once you remove your EA noob goggles...

I just loaded up firestorm. You can sprint from base to base in 2 min 45 sec. You can walk there in just under 5 minutes...

20 minutes? I didn't try to crawl, but that might be more accurate.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 13, 2015, 14:49 TangledThorns

Jackplug wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 12:01:
Releasing old maps as free dlc, shame on you.

Ahem, excuse me n00b but they are classic maps. No one here was crying when Valve released CS updates with the new de_dust maps.

14. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 13, 2015, 12:01 Jackplug

Releasing old maps as free dlc, shame on you.  

13. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 13, 2015, 10:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

This looks pretty good, actually. I'm still playing BF4 every so often, whenever I get that FPS urge... I can't bring myself to ever buy another CoD, I think. I've skipped them all post-CoD4.

I'll probably pick up Star Wars Battlefront when it's on sale, it looks pretty hilarious; but I think I'm done spending 100 bucks for content that doesn't even exist yet(future DLCs).

12. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 13, 2015, 09:58 TangledThorns

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 19:39:
BF4 is the only FPS I am enjoying at the moment.
Sad that I want to like Star Wars, but it's so super casual..and I am too slow these days for CoD (I tried.. I suck badly)

Same here. When the Battlefront was announced I was hoping it'd be more like Battlefield but I guess they dumbed it down so Anna Kendrick can play it Cool

Don't know where all the BF4 hate is coming from. CoD fanboys?

11. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 13, 2015, 08:12 CJ_Parker

ASeven wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 03:15:
Meanwhile, EA has been actively bribing Battlefront reddit mods to censor criticism and allow astrosurfing.

More reason to not buy their latest garbage offering. As if the shitty casual game was not already reason enough.

10. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 13, 2015, 07:37 Slick

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 02:42:
"actual big maps" lol.

such rose-tinted nostalgia glasses, the article itself said explicitly how small a view distance there was in BF2 (and it was small, so very very small, like 150m). The point is that it "felt" bigger. When you have a 4KM view distance, nothing really changes with the skyline when you move around.

Size is relative, you'd actually have to sit down and do metric conversions of the time and distance travelled between games. It's quite possible for the maps to be larger in terms of space/travel time despite having 'lower distance'. AKA the relative distances are all that matter. So its quite possible if you blew up or scaled down he co-ordinate space (depending on which is bigger or smaller) you'd find out all sorts of interesting things.

this is true, you can't do an apples-to-apples comparison, but it does paint a picture. The move speed is the main factor, as most other assets are scaled relative to the player height (most games do this from what i'm told, player height is the first unit of measurement against everything else in the map).

that being said, you can use the (already metric =p) meter distance indicators on your hud, 400m to that flag etc. This correlates with the earlier games, assuming that a meter is still a meter. which is again probably measured against the height (and speed) of a player.

BF3 has had the biggest map in BF history so far, and it's freaking huuuuuge. but you can still easily still see the landforms on the opposing side of the map. hence my point that the most obvious factor in play here is the view distance. when the whole world bubble around your character can fit 10 times in the legnth of a map end to end, it "feels" bigger than if your world bubble already extends to either side of the map.

start walking from one uncap to the other in operation firestorm (bf3 and bf4) and it'll take you 20 minutes. and that map isn't the biggest of the big maps. and jesus goddamn, the music in that trailer... gives me tingles.

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

9. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 13, 2015, 03:15 ASeven

Meanwhile, EA has been actively bribing Battlefront reddit mods to censor criticism and allow astrosurfing.  

8. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 13, 2015, 02:42 Suppa7

"actual big maps" lol.

7. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 13, 2015, 01:45 Slick

CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 00:58:
Slick wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 00:23:
negative. BF4 server population has always been strong. The only casualties are infact the DLC modes (try finding a carrier strike or whatever it's called server, non-existent, as are many others). The vanilla maps are the most populated, as they always are.

And we all know this is because the bored BF4 players have long abandoned the real game in favor of farming F2P n00bs who are taking advantage of Origin's 168 hour freebie deal.
Well, and then there's the F2P lulz-n00bs taking advantage of Origin's freebie deal to try out various h4XX and cheats, of course.
Either way the game is fucking broken and retarded just as it's always been.

back! back heathen! back to your cave! you are not wanted here! hyah~! hyah~! go boy go! back! back to your hole!

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

6. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 13, 2015, 01:44 Slick

<Electric-Spock> wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 22:10:
It's hard to tell from the trailer, but I wonder if the map will be scaled properly. They cut a big chunk out of the map with the Karkand remake on BF 3.

Hearing that intro music from BF2 in this video reminds me of a time before all the console consideration garbage. Actual big maps. As an example: You can swim from your base to the opposing team's base in BF4's Lanceng Dam faster than you could jump off of the American Aircraft Carrier and swim to the nearest oil refinery flag in BF2's Dragon valley. That's Pathetic.

"actual big maps" lol.

also the Dam map in BF4 is small, it's not a big map to begin with.

5. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 13, 2015, 00:58 CJ_Parker

Slick wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 00:23:
negative. BF4 server population has always been strong. The only casualties are infact the DLC modes (try finding a carrier strike or whatever it's called server, non-existent, as are many others). The vanilla maps are the most populated, as they always are.

And we all know this is because the bored BF4 players have long abandoned the real game in favor of farming F2P n00bs who are taking advantage of Origin's 168 hour freebie deal.
Well, and then there's the F2P lulz-n00bs taking advantage of Origin's freebie deal to try out various h4XX and cheats, of course.
Either way the game is fucking broken and retarded just as it's always been.

4. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 13, 2015, 00:23 Slick

Retired wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 22:04:
Thought BF3 and BF4 were done and gone. Server populations are crap. If you don't have ALL of the DLC, can't find a game to play.

Although i'll be hyped for Dragon Valley, I gotta say, BF4 is starting to feel too slow for me. Once i got this really fast monitor, I can play the new CoD and Battlefront and really kick ass. It's much more enjoyable, but I burn out faster playing these games. live at 144hz, die young!

3. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 12, 2015, 22:10 <Electric-Spock>

It's hard to tell from the trailer, but I wonder if the map will be scaled properly. They cut a big chunk out of the map with the Karkand remake on BF 3.

Hearing that intro music from BF2 in this video reminds me of a time before all the console consideration garbage. Actual big maps. As an example: You can swim from your base to the opposing team's base in BF4's Lanceng Dam faster than you could jump off of the American Aircraft Carrier and swim to the nearest oil refinery flag in BF2's Dragon valley. That's Pathetic.

2. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 12, 2015, 22:04 Retired

Thought BF3 and BF4 were done and gone. Server populations are crap. If you don't have ALL of the DLC, can't find a game to play.  

1. Re: Battlefield 4 Free DLC Plans Nov 12, 2015, 19:39 ColoradoHoudini

BF4 is the only FPS I am enjoying at the moment.
Sad that I want to like Star Wars, but it's so super casual..and I am too slow these days for CoD (I tried.. I suck badly)

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo