Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible

There are a couple of System Shock tidbits we missed in the Fast Company interview with Night Dive Studios we mentioned earlier this week, as the developer discusses plans to remake the action/RPG from the ground up, following up on their recently released Enhanced Edition (thanks All Games Beta). And perhaps of greater interest, it turns out that Night Dive now owns the rights to the series, and it's not out of the question that they will eventually turn their attention to creating System Shock 3. This excerpt conveniently covers both topics:

One example: Night Dive is developing a full remake of the original System Shock, going well beyond the basic rerelease that launched a couple months ago. Night Dive has acquired the full rights to the franchise, and Kick says he’s been working with Robert Waters, the game's original concept artist, to reimagine his designs from the early 1990s.

"Seeing the difference between his artistic abilities back then compared to now, and his ablity to reinterpret those ideas, it's just been really exciting for us," Kick says.

Part of the plan for this remake also includes a console version, which would be a first for Night Dive. Kuperman believes much of the company's future growth will come from creating console adaptations for more PC games, along with some ports for mobile devices.

We may even see a System Shock 3 someday, though Night Dive would need a larger publisher to take on the task. Kuperman says the company is "having some conversations" on this front. "To really do another game in that series is going to take resources and time and commitment that we don't have, and it's really not our core business," Kuperman says. (Until now, 2K Games’ Bioshock series has stood in as a spiritual successor.)

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. SHODAN ftw! Nov 15, 2015, 21:01 Ant

"Look at you hacker..."  

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 13, 2015, 12:54 Raptor

Razumen wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 11:22:
Wesp5 wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 14:50:
Necrophob wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 11:08:
I don't think I could take a modern SS2. The monkeys...

The same here! I think most people wear pink glasses when remembering SS2. I remember breaking weapons which forced me to play half the game using a wrench, endless respawning enemies out of rooms with no way for them to enter, stupid vendor machines making ammo and a confusing level layout resulting in continuous backtracking that did not look one bit like a spaceship! Not speaking of no live NPCs which was a great letdown after Half-Life and a twist, which they copied over from SS1 and then again copied into Bioshock and Bioshock Infinitive later on.

Level design in SS2 was a LOT better than SS1, SS1 was a torrid mess of labyrinthine corridors that made no sense, and were obviously designed to just cram as much into the space available. Getting around SS2 was fine as long as you paid attention to details, as it had actual landmarks and distinguishing features from room to room.

The rest of the issues weren't really issues imho, but features

Thank you!
I thought the level design was great and you could actually instantly recognize which level you were on from just looking at the design which is rather rare in games these days.
I loved the free roaming approach to things and that the enemies actually had different AI's, tactics and personalities.
These days you have "areas" which AI's are stuck in and very limited paths to follow. (Probably down to the engine as much as design lazyness, but no studio should accept this shit)

I think that I replayed a big portion of it last year at the hardest difficulty for "fun" and still loved it as much as I did on my first playthrough.

The midwives, assassins, monkeys, ghosts etc. Each of them managed to scare the crap out of me the first time I encountered them. (Damn you stealthy cyborgs)
And those damn hybrids always sneaking up on me when I'm trying to combine my chemicals quietly - "Run", *boom dead*, "I'm sorry"

What a truly fantastic game and it really has something I miss these days - personality.

I'll just leave this here for those rose tinted nostalgia glasses to kick in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrdtlyUXPg

45. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 13, 2015, 11:22 Razumen

Necrophob wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 11:08:
I don't think I could take a modern SS2. The monkeys...

The same here! I think most people wear pink glasses when remembering SS2. I remember breaking weapons which forced me to play half the game using a wrench, endless respawning enemies out of rooms with no way for them to enter, stupid vendor machines making ammo and a confusing level layout resulting in continuous backtracking that did not look one bit like a spaceship! Not speaking of no live NPCs which was a great letdown after Half-Life and a twist, which they copied over from SS1 and then again copied into Bioshock and Bioshock Infinitive later on.

Level design in SS2 was a LOT better than SS1, SS1 was a torrid mess of labyrinthine corridors that made no sense, and were obviously designed to just cram as much into the space available. Getting around SS2 was fine as long as you paid attention to details, as it had actual landmarks and distinguishing features from room to room.

The rest of the issues weren't really issues imho, but features

44. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Nov 13, 2015, 10:52 Task

CythrawL wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 08:48:

Well, not to nitpick, but EA technically HAD the IP for System Shock and did nothing with it, so I doubt they will have anything to do with it. And BioWare is also an EA company, hence why they have gone to total shit since Dragon Age: Origins (Which was in development way before EA acquired them)..

Was more or less trying to make it short and sweet while poking fun at the shortcomings of some these big studios/publishers of late.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech

43. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Nov 13, 2015, 08:48 CythrawL

Task wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 16:08:
  • EA/DICE (turn into a linear action game, while trimming down on lots of features + potential season pass material)

• Bioware ("reimagine" System Shock 3 with modern bioware-RPG mechanics, a color coded ended, potential MMO-style quests, and plenty of romance encounters including Shodan)

• Well, not to nitpick, but EA technically HAD the IP for System Shock and did nothing with it, so I doubt they will have anything to do with it. And BioWare is also an EA company, hence why they have gone to total shit since Dragon Age: Origins (Which was in development way before EA acquired them)..

42. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 13, 2015, 06:33 Bub

Ah System Shock, one of my favorite game series.

These guys don't seem to excited about bring it's core zeitgeist back, sounds more like, lets consolize it and pile Bioshock schlock on top of it.

==================================================
    Bubb Stubbley
    ... I miss BBS..
    "There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
    ==================================================

41. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 13, 2015, 04:45 El Pit

Also, if SS3 really becomes a reality, I truly hope they find the correct dev/publisher group to handle it to ensure the core mechanics stay.

Please let it be none of these

• ZeniMax/Bethseda (will turn it into a watered down, open-world explore a spaceship game with buggy Gamebryo and Dialog Wheel, and hope the mods will fix it)

• Gearbox (will take the IP and do nothing with it, and instead contract it to some chuckleheads while actually working on Borderlands 3)

• Microsoft Studios (turn System Shock into F2P, a console game, or just do nothing...forever)

• EA/DICE (turn into a linear action game, while trimming down on lots of features + potential season pass material)

• Bioware ("reimagine" System Shock 3 with modern bioware-RPG mechanics, a color coded ended, potential MMO-style quests, and plenty of romance encounters including Shodan)

• Am I missing any? Sorry, had to do it.

Give it to CIG instead to integrate it into the FPS of Star Citizen! It will be totally worth the wait... A few more years of production sure won't hurt!

They're waiting for you, Gabe, in the test chamber!

40. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 13, 2015, 04:19 Wesp5

nin wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 14:52:
    I remember breaking weapons which forced me to play half the game using a wrench, endless respawning enemies out of rooms with no way for them to enter
    I turn both of those off...
    That wasn't possible at the time I played it. I heard they added the option in a later patch, but for me the game had already been spoiled!

39. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 13, 2015, 00:47 Overon

Well I'm excited.  

38. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 12, 2015, 22:38 Fantaz

turn System Shock 3 into a Kickstarter and just like Shenmue 3 it will be instantly funded.  

37. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 12, 2015, 19:03 Stormsinger

I'm still trying to get my head around the plan of re-release a game, then remake that same game. Seems an awful lot like milking a cash cow...  

36. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 12, 2015, 18:45 4D-Boxing

SlimRam wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 18:08:
    bigspender wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 16:45:
    SlimRam wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 15:54:
    SS2 was one of the first (and few) games that actually scared me a little. I always played it in the dark and the voices directly behind me, with headphones on, freaked my shit...I LOVED IT!

Agreed! The "Join US!!" being said in a weird detuned voice from the parasited zombies. And then the "I'm sorry..." occassionaly as they realise they aren't in control of their own bodies.

creep as! That game made me sweat and raised my heart rate that's for sure. And it wasn't done it a cheap way. There was just a general sense of dread and hopelessness.

Hehe YUP! I remember telling my co-worker, who was into PC games a little, that I had never felt so alone, isolated and afraid in a game before and he just shook his head and said,"No way am I playing that!"

Got my younger cousin to try it out after he dared me to play Resident Evil. He lasted 20min max, the look on his face was priceless. I love Deus Ex but I adore the space ship setting in SS2. My fav game ever or tied with one or two others.

35. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 12, 2015, 18:08 SlimRam

bigspender wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 16:45:
    SS2 was one of the first (and few) games that actually scared me a little. I always played it in the dark and the voices directly behind me, with headphones on, freaked my shit...I LOVED IT!

Agreed! The "Join US!!" being said in a weird detuned voice from the parasited zombies. And then the "I'm sorry..." occassionaly as they realise they aren't in control of their own bodies.

creep as! That game made me sweat and raised my heart rate that's for sure. And it wasn't done it a cheap way. There was just a general sense of dread and hopelessness.

Hehe YUP! I remember telling my co-worker, who was into PC games a little, that I had never felt so alone, isolated and afraid in a game before and he just shook his head and said,"No way am I playing that!"

34. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 12, 2015, 17:22 HorrorScope

Nucas wrote on Nov 12, 2015, 16:46:
  • ZeniMax/Bethseda (will turn it into a watered down, open-world explore a spaceship game with buggy Gamebryo and Dialog Wheel, and hope the mods will fix it)

• and of course the power of imagination npc interaction (one npc says to another "stop fidgeting while i get these bandages on you!" meanwhile, both npcs are standing there, looking at each other, motionless)

It would be nothing short of a capital ship in size.

33. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 12, 2015, 16:48 bigspender

Also, if SS3 really becomes a reality, I truly hope they find the correct dev/publisher group to handle it to ensure the core mechanics stay.

• Gearbox (will take the IP and do nothing with it, and instead contract it to some chuckleheads while actually working on Borderlands 3)

• Microsoft Studios (turn System Shock into F2P, a console game, or just do nothing...forever)

+No Bioshock Disney graphics please.
    +No regenerating health (unless it's an ability)

32. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 12, 2015, 16:48 Geist

Top post.

31. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 12, 2015, 16:46 Nucas

• and of course the power of imagination npc interaction (one npc says to another "stop fidgeting while i get these bandages on you!" meanwhile, both npcs are standing there, looking at each other, motionless)

30. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 12, 2015, 16:45 bigspender

29. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 12, 2015, 16:42 bigspender

Please make it co-op pleeeeeeeeeeeease  

28. Re: System Shock Remake Plans; System Shock 3 Possible Nov 12, 2015, 16:14 InBlack

Wow. A chance to experience System Shock in all its old-school gameplay glory but with updated Graphics? Im in.  

I have a nifty blue line!

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo