Guild Wars 2 Raids Next Week

GuildWars2.com has details on Spirit Vale, a new update coming to Guild Wars 2 on November 17th, adding raids, among other things, to ArenaNet's MMORPG sequel. In addition to these 10-player raids, the new version will also bring an enhanced squad UI, a new zone, and legendary rewards. Word is:
Spirit Vale represents the first of three raid wings that will ultimately form the first full raid in Guild Wars 2, introducing a new style of challenging content. Raids in Heart of Thorns will be unlike anything players have experienced before, as 10-player challenges designed to deliver epic encounters and rich rewards for skilled players, and with game play rooted in everything that sets Guild Wars 2 apart from other MMOs.
View : : :
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Guild Wars 2 Raids Next Week
Nov 11, 2015, 14:45
Re: Guild Wars 2 Raids Next Week Nov 11, 2015, 14:45
Nov 11, 2015, 14:45

SXO wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 08:27:
You forgot tons and tons of timesinks. You want a new sword skin? Be prepared to commit to hundreds of hours of grinding for the materials. Want that cool looking dungeon set? Spend weeks trying to find people willing to run the dungeon only to fail miserably because 2 members of the party never learned how to dodge. GW2 was the greatest bait and switch of all time. It was billed as "the MMO that respects your time" simply because it claimed that leveling didn't require grinding, and that there was no gear treadmill. What they failed to mention is that they replaced those timesinks with others instead. And then they later added the gear treadmill anyway by introducing "fractal" dungeons that are literally an endless gear treadmill.

Except grinding for those skins is 100% optional, they offer no statistical advantage. They put those tough-earned status symbols in because there are a lot of sadistic fucks out there who WANT TO GRIND. When GW2 came out and Exotic was the top tier, you didn't have to go out of your way at all to be decked out in the best stats there were by the time you hit 80 (Legendaries existed, but again, they're only skins). Enough people bitched about it being too easy that they later added Ascended tier, which is a 5% improvement in stats, and you have to put in a good deal of work to craft yourself a full set, let alone multiple sets. One tier of items does not a "gear treadmill" make...

Why are you so offended by completely optional content? Are you a conflicted sadistic fuck, compelled to grind but at the same time morally opposed to what you're forcing yourself to do?

Nov 11, 2015, 14:06
Re: Guild Wars 2 Raids Next Week Nov 11, 2015, 14:06
Nov 11, 2015, 14:06

SXO wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 08:27:
Bub wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 06:45:
"..everything that sets Guild Wars 2 apart from other MMOs."

twitchy rock paper scissors combat
required long jumping puzzles in dungeons
Large group PVP (WVW) neglected
Some of the most dispised lore NPC's in gaming.

That said, it is pretty. I like how there is no kill stealing and you don't have to be grouped, only do enough damage to loot open world elites and up. I liked WvW, but it seems to be the devs least favorite thing to improve.
You forgot tons and tons of timesinks. You want a new sword skin? Be prepared to commit to hundreds of hours of grinding for the materials. Want that cool looking dungeon set? Spend weeks trying to find people willing to run the dungeon only to fail miserably because 2 members of the party never learned how to dodge. GW2 was the greatest bait and switch of all time. It was billed as "the MMO that respects your time" simply because it claimed that leveling didn't require grinding, and that there was no gear treadmill. What they failed to mention is that they replaced those timesinks with others instead. And then they later added the gear treadmill anyway by introducing "fractal" dungeons that are literally an endless gear treadmill.

I'd agree with some of that. For the endgame player, GW2 can be just as much of a grind as any other MMO. Getting my relic shield took months, for example. And fractals are a pain in the neck if you don't have a decent group. And additionally, at least back when I was playing, pickup dungeon groups were often really poorly geared and didn't have much of a clue, and the worst players blamed everyone else for their own failings.

That being said, I did enjoy the ride to endgame in GW2 more than any other MMO to date. So relaxing, and so fun. You just have to remember not to get dragged in to the endgame scene. Actually, WvWvW is much more fun as an endgame activity - I had a blast playing that.
Kittens!

Nov 11, 2015, 08:27
SXO
Re: Guild Wars 2 Raids Next Week Nov 11, 2015, 08:27
Nov 11, 2015, 08:27
SXO

Bub wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 06:45:

That said, it is pretty. I like how there is no kill stealing and you don't have to be grouped, only do enough damage to loot open world elites and up. I liked WvW, but it seems to be the devs least favorite thing to improve.

Nov 11, 2015, 06:45
Bub
Re: Guild Wars 2 Raids Next Week Nov 11, 2015, 06:45
Nov 11, 2015, 06:45
Bub

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

Nov 11, 2015, 03:15
Re: Guild Wars 2 Raids Next Week Nov 11, 2015, 03:15
Nov 11, 2015, 03:15

Kxmode wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 21:44:
A new zone? Wait. What?

assume they mean the actual raid instance...
Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

Nov 10, 2015, 21:44
Kxmode

Re: Guild Wars 2 Raids Next Week Nov 10, 2015, 21:44
Nov 10, 2015, 21:44
 Kxmode

A new zone? Wait. What?
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older