42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Game Reviews
Nov 11, 2015, 21:42
Re: Game Reviews Nov 11, 2015, 21:42
Nov 11, 2015, 21:42

Dacron wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 05:15:
So his reply, based off personal experience playing the game is "fanboy undies all wadded up." but your 2 replies, doing nothing but bitching and moaning off videos you've seen of it without playing it and needing to drop f-bombs (due to emotions?) is being rational?

You're projecting your insecurities on others. Creston isn't the one looking like his knickers are all twisted when he answers like that and your reply is to insult and repeat your complaints with added cussing.

I'm trying to decide if this is worthy of my money, so yes I'm going to look at reviews and game play footage first. All I did was bring up some observations I noticed about the game from watching live streams. If I observed something incorrectly, which I did, then correct me and leave the attitude out of it. My f-bombs were directed at Bethesda because after 13+ years of using this engine they still ship games out with the same damn problems (mouse acceleration, no FOV slider, the console key not working for some people and the 64hz bug. Why does Bethesda get a pass on this? Other developers have patched in FOV sliders after release when people complain about it, but with Bethesda's games everyone just says "edit the ini and quit complaining."

I'll man up and apologize for snapping back. It's just the fanboys are out in droves with this game. Here and other places where I've posted observations or simply asked questions, rather than being corrected or answering my question I get attacked for daring to question the all mighty Bethesda.

Great White Shark wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 07:34:
In other words, you learned nothing of value because you still have zero first hand experience. Ok.

There are small things you can learn about a game by watching but most of the important things you learn only by playing. Someone else playing a game is not the same way that you will play the game. Random idiots on twitch will not seek out methods to fix their problems and instead lead you to false assumptions about the game and its limitations. Be open to learning the obvious lesson here.

I learned enough not to waste $60 on this. One of the "random idiots" on twitch was trying to fix his game. He was one that couldn't get the console key to work to set the FOV and was editing the ini files to set the FOV and trying to fix the mouse acceleration.

What is this obvious lesson I'm supposed to learn from this? Pre-order a game and be thankful for what I get, bugs and all? No, I learn from my mistakes and the mistakes of others. I've been burned by pre-ordering a game or buying games at launch too many times. Now I wait for others to make the mistake and learn whether the game is worthy first.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Nov 11, 2015, 07:34
Re: Game Reviews Nov 11, 2015, 07:34
Nov 11, 2015, 07:34

jimnms wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 09:10:
I browsed Twitch TV last night looking at random streams.

In other words, you learned nothing of value because you still have zero first hand experience. Ok.

There are small things you can learn about a game by watching but most of the important things you learn only by playing. Someone else playing a game is not the same way that you will play the game. Random idiots on twitch will not seek out methods to fix their problems and instead lead you to false assumptions about the game and its limitations. Be open to learning the obvious lesson here.

Nov 11, 2015, 05:15
Re: Game Reviews Nov 11, 2015, 05:15
Nov 11, 2015, 05:15

jimnms wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 20:08:
Creston wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 09:18:
That's funny, because I've turned off mouse smoothing and switched the FOV through an .ini file, and the console works just fine for me. Then again, I've actually played the game rather than just watch Twitch streams and declare something plain broken off of that.

Wow, I didn't mean to get get your fanboy undies all wadded up. No I don't personally know about the console not working, but more than one person mentioned it not working. I believe Skyrim had this problem if you had a joystick or controller plugged in. Like I said, these are issues that have existed in their last 5 games. All except the 64hz bug can be fixed with ini tweaks, so why the fuck don't they just fix it? Is it really that hard to add an FOV slider FFS.

So his reply, based off personal experience playing the game is "fanboy undies all wadded up." but your 2 replies, doing nothing but bitching and moaning off videos you've seen of it without playing it and needing to drop f-bombs (due to emotions?) is being rational?

You're projecting your insecurities on others. Creston isn't the one looking like his knickers are all twisted when he answers like that and your reply is to insult and repeat your complaints with added cussing.

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2015, 05:43.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Nov 10, 2015, 20:08
Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2015, 20:08
Nov 10, 2015, 20:08

Creston wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 09:18:
That's funny, because I've turned off mouse smoothing and switched the FOV through an .ini file, and the console works just fine for me. Then again, I've actually played the game rather than just watch Twitch streams and declare something plain broken off of that.

Wow, I didn't mean to get get your fanboy undies all wadded up. No I don't personally know about the console not working, but more than one person mentioned it not working. I believe Skyrim had this problem if you had a joystick or controller plugged in. Like I said, these are issues that have existed in their last 5 games. All except the 64hz bug can be fixed with ini tweaks, so why the fuck don't they just fix it? Is it really that hard to add an FOV slider FFS.
"The only way anyone can live in peace is if they're prepared to forgive." - The Doctor

Nov 10, 2015, 09:18
Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2015, 09:18
Nov 10, 2015, 09:18

jimnms wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 09:10:
The game has the same technical issues that have plagued their last 5 games using this engine, like the mouse smoothing and acceleration that can't be turned off, and it seems to still have the 64hz bug (google it). There are mods that fix it in previous games, so WTF Bethesda? There doesn't seem to be an FOV slider as usual and the console is disabled so you can't use the console to set your preferred FOV.

Nov 10, 2015, 09:10
Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2015, 09:10
Nov 10, 2015, 09:10

I browsed Twitch TV last night looking at random streams. I avoided the ones at the start of the game and tried to find ones later in the game. It was tough finding someone playing with a keyboard and mouse. I don't know if most of the streams were consoles or people using a controller on PC, but the majority of the streams I found were playing in 3rd person with a controller.

Once I found some PC streamers using KB/M, I still didn't like what I saw. It really just looks like a first person shooter with some dialog here and there, and even that was pretty bad. The shooty bits weren't that great either. The damn weapon models take up 1/4 of the screen and the iron sights are an abomination. The weapons look cartoony compared to FO3 and FNV. From what I could tell, you seem to be limited to one companion, and you're forced to have them at least during the early game. Power armor seems to be required during certain parts/quests, almost like their own version of a turret section, so screw you if you don't like playing power armor characters.

The UI is butt ugly, even for a console. There was some screen, I think it might have been crafting, where the guy had to scroll through lots of stuff. The font is so big and the place where the text was is so small that it only has room for 3 lines to text and he had to scroll through dozens of items.

The game has the same technical issues that have plagued their last 5 games using this engine, like the mouse smoothing and acceleration that can't be turned off, and it seems to still have the 64hz bug (google it). There are mods that fix it in previous games, so WTF Bethesda? There doesn't seem to be an FOV slider as usual and the console is disabled so you can't use the console to set your preferred FOV.

There are some things I like. I like that hacking and lock picking are real time and no longer pause the game. I used a mod for FNV that makes hacking and lock picking real time because it felt stupid in the previous two games when you could run into a room with defenses and time stops while you hack the computer and shut them down.

This is definitely not worth $60. I might pick it up in a few years when it's finished for under $10.

Nov 10, 2015, 02:22
Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2015, 02:22
Nov 10, 2015, 02:22

nin wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 13:58:
El Pit wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 13:21:
EDIT: I'm sorry to become part of the slowly growing choir, but I join in singing the song that the negativity here is growing.

I'm so tired of it. These few people do their best to suck every bit of fun out of our hobby. No matter what's offered "it's shit". Nothing is ever good enough. They (cutter, luke) go into every thread and shit all over everything...we have people that register with no plan other than flinging shit (great white shark).

It's past time for something to happen.

Cry me a fucking river, nin. Most of us keep their insults to the game product. It's only a very select few -- yes, you definitely included -- who if they ever talk shit, it's about Bluesnews members.

Which is worse?

Nov 9, 2015, 21:31
Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 21:31
Nov 9, 2015, 21:31

nin wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 13:58:
I'm so tired of it. These few people do their best to suck every bit of fun out of our hobby. No matter what's offered "it's shit". Nothing is ever good enough. They (cutter, luke) go into every thread and shit all over everything...we have people that register with no plan other than flinging shit (great white shark).

No idea what makes you say that, I hadn't even posted here but you ironically broke a rule to complain anyway. I registered to talk about PC games and some console games. I just don't put up with any shit from trolls like the ones you mentioned. Instead of talking about ignore lists or getting all passive aggressive I will just call them out on their shit. If that offends some sensibilities then fuck it, I don't care about being PC or what some random internet gamer thinks. Everyone else gets a fair shake.

You have to learn to help yourself, things aren't going to get better here. If anything they will get worse, people know that no one really cares and they can say whatever they want.

With that bullshit out of the way, Fallout 4 preload unlocked with the help of australian VPN, loading now! I watched streams of shitty console versions most of last night and I'm looking forward to the real thing now.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2015, 21:38.

Nov 9, 2015, 18:45
Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 18:45
Nov 9, 2015, 18:45

Task, I sort of agree with you.

The Witcher 3 is the most amazing game ever released. It will win every award possible...at least it should.

Skyrim cockblocked me with a broken main mission quest that would not trigger. I met Joan Allen in my cool dragon temple, but she wouldn't talk to me despite me completing the quests. I eventually played it again from the start, made a different allegiance and won the game in like 10 hours.

Fallout 3...I got stuck with a weird main quest where I had to deliver something to a submarine, but I couldn't find it. Gave up.

Never finished a single one of those games (Fallout, I mean), but I got my money's worth out of them. Still played 30-60 hours. Unlike a COD game where I only play the SP, which is 4 hours long.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2015, 21:58.

Nov 9, 2015, 17:26
Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 17:26
Nov 9, 2015, 17:26

Out of curiosity, I went around seeing comments on these articles and those that voiced concerns for Bethesda's total lack of improvement in key areas gets downvoted into Oblivion [pun-intended], with replies something like, "but, I like those distractions" , "but, mods will fix it!" , "story doesn't count." Any legit concern is hit upon by an swarm of Beth fans.

I used to be a Beth fan too - but Skyrim was pretty much the last straw for me in the regression I've seen for their games. I'd rather have a Beth game, for once, feel like a really incredible experience again (Triple A, instead of an average Double A) without feeling the need to "fix it" with mods. Mods certainly haven't fixed another series that has gone down hill -> Total War.

As far as 'open world' games go in particular, this one is far more of an average ho-hum compared to CD Projekt's (for the first time no less).

Nov 9, 2015, 16:01
Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 16:01
Nov 9, 2015, 16:01

Flatline wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 14:19:
Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 13:39:
And he ends with : or they can take the best stuff of Fallout and Skyrim's pedigree and slap even better plot and acting into it (Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Dragon Age: Inquisition).

Well, there ya go. Dragon Age Inquisition is the height all games should aspire to.

To play Devil's Advocate for a moment, Inquisition had some great companion "missions" that were written pretty well. Same with ME3. For some reason the main writing team is weak and the side stories are wonderful.

Stopping for an evening and playing cards and drinking with your team in Inquisition was one of the high points of the game ironically. It was one of the more fun points of Witcher 3 (stopping and having a snowball fight with Ciri was great. Even if the snowball fight mechanics still sucked.)

So yeah, I wouldn't mind some of the story building from Inquisition. Just... not the main story.

I actually thoroughly enjoyed DA:I, but it's funny that the guy lambasts Fallout 4 for having crappy writing in its plot and then lists DA:I as the pinnacle of gaming alongside W3. DA:I's plot was atrocious. It was the side missions and cool companions that made that game.

And in his FO4 review, he says that some of the missions are awesome.

So really, he's complaining about... I don't even know. The whole review reads more like one of those rambling rants than anything. I HAVE TO PUT SKILLPOINTS IN ORDER TO CRAFT WHAT THE HELL I DONT EVEN MISSIONS ARE FANTASTIC BUT NPCS ARE GARBAGE THOUGH SOMETIMES I FIND COOL ONES BE MORE LIKE DRAGON AGE!

Nov 9, 2015, 15:55
Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 15:55
Nov 9, 2015, 15:55

Kxmode wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 15:52:
Blizzard haven't forgotten IGN's 6.5-10 Heroes of the Storm review.

This title really bothers me. Have is used with some pronouns and plural nouns. Has is used with the third person singular. IGN is referring to Blizzard in a third person singular therefore it is grammatically correct to use "Blizzard HASN'T forgotten IGN's 6.5-10 Heroes of the Storm review."

SEXY

Nov 9, 2015, 15:52
Kxmode

Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 15:52
Nov 9, 2015, 15:52
 Kxmode

Blizzard haven't forgotten IGN's 6.5-10 Heroes of the Storm review.

This title really bothers me. Have is used with some pronouns and plural nouns. Has is used with the third person singular. IGN PCgamesN is referring to Blizzard in a third person singular therefore it is grammatically correct to use "Blizzard HASN'T forgotten IGN's 6.5-10 Heroes of the Storm review."

Edit: Changed IGN to PCgamesN. My bad.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 2015, 16:00.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Nov 9, 2015, 15:47
Cutter

Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 15:47
Nov 9, 2015, 15:47
 Cutter

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 13:14:
I wrote a 10,000+ word review of Skyrim a couple weeks after it came out, and probably a quarter of it was explaining various things I felt were wrong with it... Still gave the game a 97/100. Fact is, Bethesda's RPGs are just that good, and a smattering of flaws that would sink another title don't even come close to ruining the experience overall.

Anybody could take their favorite game and criticize the hell out of it, it's easy when you've become so familiar with it. But you still love it more than anything else.

How could you possibly rate it as that? What was it that warrants that sort of score? The console graphics? The console UI? The bad writing? The bad quests? The millions of bugs? The repetitious caves/ruins/towns, etc.?

On the artistic side as a general game world to walk around in it's a solid 8/10. On the actual gameplay side of things it's about a 3/10. After several years, 2 expansions and a million mods it pushes the game into a solid 7 out of 10, but that's more in spite of Bethsoft and not because of them. Fallout 3 was ugly and it sucked. FO4 isn't looking any better.
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Nov 9, 2015, 15:24
Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 15:24
Nov 9, 2015, 15:24

i still think they are trying to make a SP open world survival game (with RPG elements), and capitalize on that current trend

wont know how much RPG-ness is really there until I play it but I get the feeling Beth is shifting away from that and going more fully into their own Beth-style

Nov 9, 2015, 14:19
PHJF

Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 14:19
 PHJF

But the very next breath (not even separated by a period, just a comma) is: "...but playing it, is the ONLY THING we want to do."

If you know about Ben Moore (the reviewer), that's just Ben Moore being Ben Moore. He also mentions the problems he found in Fallout 4 are endemic to Bethesda titles and people should perhaps be less forgiving of them release after release.

I find it's a lot easier (and more necessary) to criticize AAA projects. Bethesda aren't new at this whole games developing thing and having followed their titles for two decades now I expect more forward progress from them. And this is by no means specific to Bethesda.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 14:19

Creston wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 13:39:
And he ends with : or they can take the best stuff of Fallout and Skyrim's pedigree and slap even better plot and acting into it (Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Dragon Age: Inquisition).

Well, there ya go. Dragon Age Inquisition is the height all games should aspire to.

To play Devil's Advocate for a moment, Inquisition had some great companion "missions" that were written pretty well. Same with ME3. For some reason the main writing team is weak and the side stories are wonderful.

Stopping for an evening and playing cards and drinking with your team in Inquisition was one of the high points of the game ironically. It was one of the more fun points of Witcher 3 (stopping and having a snowball fight with Ciri was great. Even if the snowball fight mechanics still sucked.)

So yeah, I wouldn't mind some of the story building from Inquisition. Just... not the main story.

Nov 9, 2015, 13:58
nin

Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 13:58
Nov 9, 2015, 13:58
 nin

El Pit wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 13:21:
EDIT: I'm sorry to become part of the slowly growing choir, but I join in singing the song that the negativity here is growing.

Nov 9, 2015, 13:48
Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 13:48
Nov 9, 2015, 13:48

Oh, and finally, from the ARS review:

I think you should make it more obvious in the "U-G-L-Y" bit that you played it primarily on ps4 but when you did do it on PC it was on a mix of medium-high.

Iow, we may want to take that with a grain of salt. What does the PCGamer review say about the graphics?

Nov 9, 2015, 13:44
Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 13:44
Nov 9, 2015, 13:44

imo - and really just that, the Arstechnica one is far more honest than the scored, paid drivel on Kotaku, Gamespot, or IGN. It actually covers the concerns and total laziness in narrative. I think IGN is only one to show a video of obtaining Power Armor in the first 5 minutes.

The good

-Lots of content to grind through, if you're looking for a single game to kill a lot of time.
-Major game locations offer payoffs in beautiful designs, memorable missions.
-Plot includes some incredibly captivating highlights, buffered by massive, terminal-powered series of side story content.
-Your new dog companion and a new power-armor system are welcome tweaks to the series' tried-and-true VATS-powered combat.

The bad

-Missions and plot suffer from miserable pacing, lack of compelling NPCs, redundant battle locations.
-Want to be a bad guy? Fallout 4 will let you, but it doesn't offer as many satisfying paths to the dark side as prior entries.
-SPECIAL system of traits offers lots of options but is cramped by most missions clearly favoring strength over other attributes.
New crafting and settlement options offer lots of tedium with little plot or power payoff.

Also dialogue doesn't change (can't be a grunt and speak in grunts, and the game heavily forces you to shoot your way through quests, rather than neutral or no-kill routes). Its clear from this review, especially regarding SPECIAL, is that Bethesda did not account for certain builds - making it necessary to have certain to skills to continue.

In another words, a world filled with 'fun' with a shallow, hallowed out core that I was afraid Bethesda would further regress into. Makes me worry even more where the Elder Scrolls is headed now to the point in losing all interest at this juncture.
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older