Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans

The Diablo III website has a preview of a newly announced version 2.4.0 patch for Diablo III that Blizzard will soon release on the PTR for testing in the action/RPG sequel. The admittedly lengthy preliminary patch notes outline a new zone, expanded areas, revamped set items. new Set Dungeons and Empowered Rifts, new legendary items, a revised buff UI, season journey revisions, and in an amazing breakthrough, more stash space for all your stuff. They outline even more changes, and say there are other things coming they haven't even gotten to yet, but the usual warning apply that such preliminary patch notes are subject to change.
View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 10, 2015, 09:53 Mr. Tact

Interesting. Well, starting on the opposite side of the passive skill tree would be a reason to have a different character, but I understand your point.  

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 9, 2015, 21:45 Wowbagger_TIP

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 14:09:
Okay, let me ask this. Do you believe it would negatively impact PoE if players were allowed to re-spec their characters whenever they wanted to?
Yeah, I think it would be detrimental to the game. If you only have to level a character once, then the early game ceases to matter anymore. Heck, why even bother having classes... or early levels. Make everyone start at lvl100 and play only endgame maps. I just think it wouldn't be as interesting if there is no investment in building a specific type of character. I understand that that's just my opinion, but that's why there are different types of games to suit different players.

I do think they could do more to make the leveling process more interesting and less repetitive. I'd like to see them remove Cruel difficulty altogether, and add some more optional content along the way. Most optional content currently has little to no reward associated with it, so it gets skipped. Basically I want the leveling process to be fun and interesting rather than just a chore obstacle to pass to get to the endgame. I think they've been moving in that direction though.

They did do a lot in the most recent Awakening expansion to streamline leveling in terms of removing some annoying areas and improving the flow through the various zones. They added gems to vendors and made linked gear more common earlier on so that you can actually use the gems you get. They added some other QoL changes too.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

22. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 9, 2015, 14:09 Mr. Tact

Okay, let me ask this. Do you believe it would negatively impact PoE if players were allowed to re-spec their characters whenever they wanted to?  

21. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 9, 2015, 11:02 Wowbagger_TIP

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 09:57:
So, you are saying that after building to 35 or so, even if I did a good build but want to try a different one -- it somehow makes PoE a better game that the best way to do that is build another character to level 35? Not quite sure I follow that logic, but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion. *shrug*

I didn't say it makes PoE a better game. I said it's different, and is suited to types of players that don't see that as a big deal. I can level a character to 35 in a few hours. Endgame starts around level 65-70. Level 35 is really just getting started. Hell, you can't even use a lot of support gems until that point.

Another thing to note is that you get free full respecs for all of your existing characters when they do a patch that makes any significant change to the skill tree. So those level 70+ characters I have in Standard league all get respecs at the start of each new league, and sometimes in between as well. Nice for trying out some new build to see if it works.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

20. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 9, 2015, 09:57 Mr. Tact

So, you are saying that after building to 35 or so, even if I did a good build but want to try a different one -- it somehow makes PoE a better game that the best way to do that is build another character to level 35? Not quite sure I follow that logic, but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion. *shrug*  

19. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 9, 2015, 09:39 Wowbagger_TIP

Krovven wrote on Nov 9, 2015, 02:18:
There's a difference between learning the game and finding you don't like a skill much, or you find one that is just more fun to use. A new player should not get "screwed" at all while they are learning the game. Majority of people don't want to spend X number of hours getting to level 35-40+ with whatever skill and tree selections to match, only to find, it's not that fun, or not that powerful.

The Witch Arc guide actually says to level up using Fire skills Firestorm and Fire Totem (I think), even though you are dropping all your points into Lightning to use Arc later. How fucked up is that when other elemental skills are more powerful than your "endgame build" even though you are putting points into a different damage element? After getting to the point of using Arc and supporting it with the other gems...I still preferred Firestorm and it still killed faster than Arc did generally...what if I had put the focus on Fire element dmg instead?

I've still got a long way to get at the end game...but if I'm running into that issue now, do I want to spend another 20hrs to find out I prefer something different entirely?

There are some serious design issues and playability issues that are a problem and why I'll stick with D3 most of the time when choosing between the two.
I guess that was kind of my point. D3 lets you level each class once, and then respec them into the various builds at will. PoE has a much more complex skill system, and you can create far more unique characters with it. The downside being that each one is actually a unique character that you can only change so much. They're very different types of game.

As for the Arc leveling stuff, Flame Totem and Firestorm are great leveling skills, but Arc is more of a late-blooming skill since it works best with certain support gems and items. I've seen some really great Arc builds that kill stuff pretty fast. I'd have to see your actual build to know for sure, but I suspect that you either hadn't gotten to the point where Arc is more effective, or didn't have the right supports or gear for it. Flame Totem is a pretty good endgame build too. I played one for part of last league. But it's just a very different style of play, and still isn't super-powerful in high level maps.

18. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 9, 2015, 02:18 Krovven

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 8, 2015, 23:54:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 8, 2015, 18:10:
Krovven wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 22:42:
Enjoying the Witch a bit more, but it really sucks when you find a skill you really like, but the only way you can change to that build is by restarting a new character or buying a large amount of passive refund points.
Yes, this is one of the main issues with PoE as far as I am concerned.

I haven't seen it as a very big deal. You get 6 respec points from missions in each difficulty level (Normal/Cruel/Merciless), so that's 18 there, and by that time you've probably collected a dozen or so regret orbs too. If your build is so screwed that that's not enough, then you probably should start over and try to learn a little more about what makes a good build.

You don't have to min-max to get into the endgame content. You just have to make a reasonably solid build. That won't get you into the highest level content, but it will help you learn the game, and you'll be doing the low to medium level maps.

If you want to just grind out a character without having to learn much or make any real decisions about it, then you'd probably be happier with D3. That's why it's nice that there are games that cater to different types of gamers.

There's a difference between learning the game and finding you don't like a skill much, or you find one that is just more fun to use. A new player should not get "screwed" at all while they are learning the game. Majority of people don't want to spend X number of hours getting to level 35-40+ with whatever skill and tree selections to match, only to find, it's not that fun, or not that powerful.

The Witch Arc guide actually says to level up using Fire skills Firestorm and Fire Totem (I think), even though you are dropping all your points into Lightning to use Arc later. How fucked up is that when other elemental skills are more powerful than your "endgame build" even though you are putting points into a different damage element? After getting to the point of using Arc and supporting it with the other gems...I still preferred Firestorm and it still killed faster than Arc did generally...what if I had put the focus on Fire element dmg instead?

I've still got a long way to get at the end game...but if I'm running into that issue now, do I want to spend another 20hrs to find out I prefer something different entirely?

There are some serious design issues and playability issues that are a problem and why I'll stick with D3 most of the time when choosing between the two.

17. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 9, 2015, 02:01 GL1zdA

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 8, 2015, 23:54:
If you want to just grind out a character without having to learn much or make any real decisions about it, then you'd probably be happier with D3. That's why it's nice that there are games that cater to different types of gamers.
While this is true when you have infinite time to spend on games, it's an issue for people with jobs and/or family life. I'd rather learn the game by changing skills and testing the build than throwing out a character I spend hours on and starting over again.

16. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 8, 2015, 23:54 Wowbagger_TIP

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 8, 2015, 18:10:
Enjoying the Witch a bit more, but it really sucks when you find a skill you really like, but the only way you can change to that build is by restarting a new character or buying a large amount of passive refund points.

I haven't seen it as a very big deal. You get 6 respec points from missions in each difficulty level (Normal/Cruel/Merciless), so that's 18 there, and by that time you've probably collected a dozen or so regret orbs too. If your build is so screwed that that's not enough, then you probably should start over and try to learn a little more about what makes a good build.

You don't have to min-max to get into the endgame content. You just have to make a reasonably solid build. That won't get you into the highest level content, but it will help you learn the game, and you'll be doing the low to medium level maps.

15. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 8, 2015, 18:10 Mr. Tact

14. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 8, 2015, 16:47 Megalodon

tl;dr  

13. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 8, 2015, 10:47 Luke

Repeat of souls patch 2.4.0 auto click enabled  

12. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 7, 2015, 22:42 Krovven

Ok, long post incoming...

Here is a full recap (with images) on Diablofans

Seasons...I never intended to play them...but turns out, I really enjoy them. I don't push to compete on the leaderboards and I don't think most people should even consider that as a reason to play Seasons. You will not compete unless you sink a large amount of time into playing specific ways, min/maxing gear for those tasks (ie: farming Xp for Paragon levels). I could have 600 Paragon and almost identical gear to someone that has 1300 Paragon. The difference is massive. To get that much Paragon is time consuming, or you have to use a bot and risk getting banned. I already feel like I spend way too many hours playing D3...I'm not going to spend even more time.

5 major problems exist that prevents me from enjoying the game once I hit the Greater Rift "wall".
- Paragon level (see above paragraph) I also think they should cap Season Paragon at 800, but it still accumulates to be added to non-season. This would greatly increase the competition by way of skill on the leaderboards, rather than Paragon level.
- Lag in high end Greater Rifts (especially in groups)
- Cave type tile sets have poor density and are the norm, at least in this season, the open map tile sets for Greater Rifts seem extremely rare.
- To really push high end greater rifts, you are fishing for particular combinations of tile set and monster type combo's.
- Grinding out legendary gem levels on high rank Greater Rifts for a low percentage chance to upgrade them.
- Snapshots. This makes 6, almost forgot. The stupid "snapshot" damage system that was introduced and works better for some classes than others and of course there is no way for casuals to know about it unless they watch the pros vids.

Around rank 40 in Season 2 & 3 was my wall, where it stopped being fun and became a chore. This season, it's around rank 58-60.
I got my Barbarian to 58 and then had to change some gear and build (to IK-Wastes/Rend build, from Wastes WW build) in order to complete a rank 60. It wasn't a build or playstyle I enjoyed, so I immediately switched back and basically was done with pushing Greater Rifts. I also poked away at an Uliana's Monk with a no-crit chance version of the build.

I completed the Season Journey, and there are very few Season Journey steps that can't be completed solo. Some are just made easier in groups.

The last thing I needed for Season Journey was a lvl 70 HC toon. I hate leveling 1 to 70, even in Standard, I generally get a boost...so I did the same from a random HC guy from one of the communities in the game. I ended up playing HC Demon Hunter for awhile. My profile is here with the near perfect rolls for an Ancient Yang's Recurve Bow. One thing to keep in mind, all my seasonal toons progress was all completed within a month (roughly) of season start.

As for playing Season vs Non-Season...the main reason is being removed with the new gear not being season specific next Season. If they do change the Stash tabs, then that leaves only the cosmetic items as incentive to play Seasons. Turns out, because it's so easy to get geared up now, I kinda like starting over. I can be 70, with a full set of gear in 15hrs or depending on luck. It's mostly become a preference now, I'd rather spend 50 hrs playing a new toon (and getting the cosmetic bonuses, than spending 50 hours to get 1 small upgrade on my non-season toon.

OK, NEW STUFF!

I want those Wings I hope the Set Dungeon Challenges are not Season specific (I think a lot of people will be pissed if they are). This will get me to play some classes that I haven't yet. Looking forward to trying out the Melee Demon Hunter and some of the other revamped sets. 3 new zones (hopefully not lagfests like Cesspools tileset was when it was first added). Lots of nice Quality of Life changes coming, too many too list, but graphic for Death's breaths and change to Buff icons, being among the top.

Not sure Bounties are going to be any less boring to play. I do the bare minimum to have materials to add gear to the Cube. Other than that I avoid them. The bounty bag bonus even this season really helped with that. Grind out Bounties for 3 days and tons of materials to hold me over for awhile.

So basically I play like a madman for the first month of a season, then take a break and play other stuff and pick away at D3 off and on.

During this break I finally played Path of Exile long enough to get beyond the extremely painful and clunky first 20 levels. They really need to redo the art in the starting area so it doesn't look 15 years old.

I have a long way to go, but finished the game on Normal with a Tornado shot Ranger, despite following a guide, was extremely weak against bosses, but could tear through trash no problem. Slowly picking away at an Arc Witch and think I'm just in act 3 on Normal. So I've got a long way to go before seeing the real meat of the game, but I've already gotten bored of it. Lvl 40 ranger having troubles with bosses and the rinse-repeat non-sense (like D2) design of it when I have no problem killing anything else. The game is slow and clunky, but gets better once you get more movement speed. The biggest issue I think I have is the skills are not responsive at all. I may have to press a skill button 3 (or hold it down for a couple seconds) before it activates...which by then it could very well be too late. Changing from moving to attacking or vice versa, etc, there is always a lag time and it's annoying as fuck. This is an issue in several boss fights, where you are in a small arena and basically there is just massive damage spam all over the arena. I already don't do a lot of damage to bosses, and I can't move quickly to respond to immediate threats...it just adds up to frustration and a lot of 1 shot deaths.

Enjoying the Witch a bit more, but it really sucks when you find a skill you really like, but the only way you can change to that build is by restarting a new character or buying a large amount of passive refund points. I'll be picking away at Path of Exile, but I find the control response and lack of freedom to change builds easily a big problem when it comes to using my time.

Edit: Added video link to explain Snapshots

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2015, 23:07.

11. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 7, 2015, 22:35 Cram

Suppa7 wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 22:30:
More evidence that path of exile is the better ARPG.

derrrrrrrp! Good jerb Bluesnews citizen! Gold star for contributing!

10. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 7, 2015, 22:30 Suppa7

More evidence that path of exile is the better ARPG.  

9. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 7, 2015, 21:38 Krovven

AngelicPenguin wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 21:16:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 20:50:
Meh... they are pushing this Seasons nonsense so hard,

I dunno I got the opposite reaction from this patch. They are removing seasonal only legendary items which was one of the huge draws of season.

I think that's great overall, but it's contradictory to them making the Stash Tab unlocks Season only, right after they said the new legendaries won't be season only. Why are Stash tab unlocks in the Season when they are mostly needed in non-season? It's a contradiction. I've had no issue with the number of tabs I have now in Seasonal play...it's non-season where the space issue comes up.

You can get 1 extra stash tab right away in both Season and non-Season for 500k gold. Then what isn't clear is that you get another Stash Tab for each Season Journey you do. Some people think this is 1 tab per Season Journey completed (which means 4 seasons to get all). To me that doesn't make sense. My understanding is it's 1 tab per step completed of the Season Journey in this coming season. Kind of like this season you got a new character frame for each step and pet for completing I think it was Chapter 2 (forget exactly) of the Season Journey.

I hope public feedback will have them change the stash tabs unlocks from being in the Season.

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 2015, 22:44.

8. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 7, 2015, 21:16 AngelicPenguin

Meh... they are pushing this Seasons nonsense so hard,

I dunno I got the opposite reaction from this patch. They are removing seasonal only legendary items which was one of the huge draws of season.

7. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 7, 2015, 21:12 Mr. Tact

I have zero desire to play with the general public or even join a clan/guild/community for the sole purpose of unlocking Stash tabs, and it'd be a shame if they really try to force group play down peoples' throats just to get more inventory space.
I agree 100%. I am in a clan, but it is a small group (under a dozen) of IRL friends. About 95% of my play is solo with occasional runs with someone in my clan.

6. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 7, 2015, 20:50 MoreLuckThanSkill

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 18:37:
The Season Journey is just a interface that guides you through seasonal achievements and gives you rewards for completing sets of them, increasing in difficulty as you go. Well, even the last ones aren't really that difficult, they just require you invest the time playing to build a strong enough character and/or get a group together to cooperate in a specific task. A dedicated player can finish the whole thing in a week or two, but the season lasts several months, so it's plenty of time for anyone.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 16:36:
Hrm, for the most part these changes look good, although I'd really appreciate a way to unlock Stash tabs in Non-Season, since I already have 12 characters I use and don't want to delete once, let alone several times over a year just to get the 'full' set of tabs.

Good choice to remove Exclusive items from seasons, that is really the best news from the pre-patch notes.

There's a new feature specifically made for your situation, which reverts an existing character to level 1 and puts them in the Season. You're not gonna be forced to delete and re-create anymore. No more excuses!

Meh... they are pushing this Seasons nonsense so hard, and it is a complete 180 from their stated goals from before release and through the various betas. I'll read up on what you're talking about when it's closer to live, but it sounds like it'll still divide up my characters and friends list. I am 95% solo in this game, but I still get together with various old D2 people and play in pairs and trios.

I have zero desire to play with the general public or even join a clan/guild/community for the sole purpose of unlocking Stash tabs, and it'd be a shame if they really try to force group play down peoples' throats just to get more inventory space.

5. Re: Diablo III Patch 2.4.0 Plans Nov 7, 2015, 18:37 jacobvandy

The Season Journey is just a interface that guides you through seasonal achievements and gives you rewards for completing sets of them, increasing in difficulty as you go. Well, even the last ones aren't really that difficult, they just require you invest the time playing to build a strong enough character and/or get a group together to cooperate in a specific task. A dedicated player can finish the whole thing in a week or two, but the season lasts several months, so it's plenty of time for anyone.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 16:36:
Hrm, for the most part these changes look good, although I'd really appreciate a way to unlock Stash tabs in Non-Season, since I already have 12 characters I use and don't want to delete once, let alone several times over a year just to get the 'full' set of tabs.

Good choice to remove Exclusive items from seasons, that is really the best news from the pre-patch notes.

There's a new feature specifically made for your situation, which reverts an existing character to level 1 and puts them in the Season. You're not gonna be forced to delete and re-create anymore. No more excuses!

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >