Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Fallout 4 Launch Trailer

Bethesda.net now offers the launch trailer for Fallout 4, paving the way for next week's release of the new installment in the post-apocalyptic RPG series. The clip runs over two-and-a-half minutes, and shows off cinematics, environments, and gameplay from this tale of a boy or girl and his or her dogmeat.

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

71. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 6, 2015, 13:54 Peter M. Smith

Creston wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 09:01:
Well, seeing as how you'd need (if the "you start with 21" is true) 63-21 = 42 perk points just to max out your stats, and then another 70 perk points to just get every perk, and then probably another 140 to actually max them out (if I assume that every perk can, on average, be upgraded twice more), if you really feel like gaining 252 levels to do so, then I think you've probably earned it.

Out of the 10 million or so people that will buy this, I'm going to guess maybe 3 will ever actually do what you've just complained about.

I took a look at the Fallout 4 Build Planner at RPG Gaming. There are 70 Perk "categories", with 229 total Perks (3.27 Perks per category). You start out with 28 SPECIAL points, of which 21 are player selectable. So in the end it's 229+78-28, which is 279 levels. Pretty close to your initial estimate, ended up being a bit higher.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 6, 2015, 13:40 Creston

Verno wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 13:22:
GMG preload keys are going out now, toot toot!

Check your account!

I was just going to post to ask that. WOOOOOOTTT!

(Btw, isn't there some specific place on GMG where you have to go to get your keys? I always forget...)

Five nerds on my department (myself included) are going to have all kinds of contests in FO4. Who can build the best stronghold, does the most damage, etc. Should be fun.

One of my colleagues bought Black Ops 3 instead. For the 360. Hahahaha. He's now, for all intents and purposes, a leper.

69. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 6, 2015, 13:22 Verno

GMG preload keys are going out now, toot toot!

Check your account!

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

68. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 6, 2015, 10:49 PHJF

When a critical opinion has foundation I can find value in that...

Here's the thing:

This game isn't out. A lot of games aren't out. So the only opinions one can muster pertain to the (meager) showings in these trailers. Know that I'm not clouded by my longstanding love of Fallout 1 and 2 (OK, maybe a little clouded) when I say this:

Fallout 4 looks like shit. Just a big, plain, brown, steaming pile of shit. This trailer is another layer of shit on top of an already sizable pile of shit. It's pointlessly cinematic when Fallout as a genre is anything but. The voice acting is godawful. It's ugly. It shows a bunch of combat which appears only marginally improved from its predecessor (and I can't believe VATS is still a thing, the dumbest fucking design decision in history, a bitter and sorry attempt to connect Fallout 3 to its namesake). What the trailer DOESN'T show is the very essence of Fallout, that being journeying around a post-nuclear wasteland exploring and scavenging strange locales while trying to survive. Maybe that's just not the kind of thing Bethesda thinks people want in a trailer... or maybe that's just not the kind of game Bethesda thinks people want to play.

I understand a lot of people love Fallout 3 and have faith in Bethesda to deliver, but as far as I'm concerned the only good to come out of Fallout 3 was New Vegas (well, that and the lunch box). Vegas had problems, no doubt, but was a better realization of Fallout ideals by far than Bethesda could proffer. Vegas was a true "post nuclear role playing game" and not a "post nuclear shooter with RPG elements".

Steam + PSN: PHJF

67. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 6, 2015, 09:22 Flak

Grokk wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 20:28:
Well that video did NOT convince me at all to buy this game.
The character models look no different than the previous games, and in some spots I think they looked worse.

Ahh, and here's why I both love and hate this place.

Jesus fuck.

66. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 6, 2015, 09:16 Verno

Kxmode wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 19:55:
Exactly. Too many bitchers. On almost every news post there's a comment that reads like "GRRRRRR This is shit. I'm angry!" Pathetic.

It's the same 4 or 5 people in most threads sadly. When a critical opinion has foundation I can find value in that but we get the same pieces of shit in every discussion just mindlessly spewing negativity, most of the time they haven't even touched the product nor read the topical content of the discussion. We really need the ban bat busted out, too much soft touch bullshit here.

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf

65. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 6, 2015, 09:01 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 23:02:
Wait, you can spend perk points to increase your attributes? So it's entirely possible to create a god-like character with maxed out attributes AND maxed out perks? Oh Bethesda, why are you so bad at balancing?

Well, seeing as how you'd need (if the "you start with 21" is true) 63-21 = 42 perk points just to max out your stats, and then another 70 perk points to just get every perk, and then probably another 140 to actually max them out (if I assume that every perk can, on average, be upgraded twice more), if you really feel like gaining 252 levels to do so, then I think you've probably earned it.

Out of the 10 million or so people that will buy this, I'm going to guess maybe 3 will ever actually do what you've just complained about.

64. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 6, 2015, 02:44 InBlack

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 14:34:

I played Fallout 3 once through and never played New Vegas because I found Fallout 3 kinda lacking.

Dude. You are missing out. Seriously. New Vegas is nothing like Fallout3. It's literally the sequel to Fallout2 that Fallout3 should have been. Buy it cheap, play it. You won't regret it.

I have a nifty blue line!

63. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 6, 2015, 02:10 shiho

I really wish they didn't call these games "Fallout". They're far too simple in all the wrong ways, and have far too shitty writing.  

62. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 6, 2015, 01:27 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, doesn't look half bad. I'll get this on sale, surely; highly unlikely that I'll bother picking it up around release though.

As others have said, plenty of time for a healthy selection of mods to come out while the price drops.

61. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 6, 2015, 01:18 Wowbagger_TIP

Owell, I'm looking forward to this and hope it's fun out of the box. I'll probably get one playthrough in while the modders are busy doing their thing. Then I'll get down to the real business of getting the game modded up for a better experience. And probably another after that, once the next wave of mods are out. For all the bitching people have done about all of these games, they've always provided me with a lot of entertainment. I always get more than my money's worth.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

60. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 23:02 Jerykk

Wait, you can spend perk points to increase your attributes? So it's entirely possible to create a god-like character with maxed out attributes AND maxed out perks? Oh Bethesda, why are you so bad at balancing?  

59. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 22:59 Red

Of cour I can enjoy the games I play! By min-maxing and spending an excessive amount of time focused on my character builds. Sure, I probably need some kind of help. But that's what is fun to me.

I don't mean to say that being bad at combat is a gimp. That's just a build, a non-combat build. I mean that when some perks are flat out poor choices, inappropriate for any build no matter what synergies or style I'm trying to do. That's gimpy. That's bad design.

Every perk should be good (balanced) in its own way, in builds which synergize with it and make use of its strengths. That certainly doesn't mean every perk should be good in every build because that's boring and makes player choices less important. But if there are no builds where a perk plays a strong or key part, then that perk is poorly designed. There do not need to be junk or filler perks like there are commons in an MTG booster pack.

58. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 21:55 jacobvandy

Red wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 20:03:
The main thing I don't like about the new perk system is that you can spend perk points to raise SPECIAL in lieu of actually picking a perk. This means there is a value ratio between perks and specials, and then that means there's potential to fuck up the balance of them. For example, Idiot Savant boils down to a net gain in experience. Well that's exactly what Intelligence does. And since you can spend a perk point on either.. does 1x Idiot Savant equate to 1x Intelligence (statistically averaged)? Hopefully more, since +Intelligence technically has a side benefit of unlocking an additional perk choice.

Is Bethesda proven at knowing how to balance stuff like this? Because if I spend a point on Idiot Savant, and later learn it's unequivocally inferior and that I should have added Intelligence instead, it will piss me off enough to stop playing (or at least start over). Just looking at the perk builder tool, I have some serious doubts that the various perks are anywhere close to balanced. And since it still hasn't been made clear that you can be successful via any approach that isn't somewhat fighter focused (this is an FPS first after all, not an RPG), I suspect that if I don't spend a hefty portion of my perks into combat, I'll be totally gimping myself. And being able to gimp yourself is bad design.

Can you just enjoy any game you ever play, or are you that consumed by this compulsion to min-max your character? You may need therapy, friend, and such a biased viewpoint is not a good one from which to judge the balance of any game, IMO. I agree with Peter, that the ability to build a character in a way that may not be the most effective in combat or any other aspect of the game is a perfectly valid option to have in a role-playing game. A "gimped" build is at least as deserving of inclusion as a potentially overpowered one.

57. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 21:03 harlock

it looks like a full tilt action game... and i wonder how the combat will work out with this, if its done well the whole series will keep shifting away from RPG  

56. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 20:38 Peter M. Smith

The main thing I don't like about the new perk system is that you can spend perk points to raise SPECIAL in lieu of actually picking a perk.

Functionally it's the same as Intense Training from the two FO3 games.

And being able to gimp yourself is bad design.

I snipped most of what you said, because ultimately it boils down to your last sentence. And it's one I disagree with vehemently. A player should be able to play in whichever way they would like to. If somebody wants to take a "gimped" character why stop them?

55. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 20:28 Grokk

Well that video did NOT convince me at all to buy this game.
The character models look no different than the previous games, and in some spots I think they looked worse.
Hopefully the PC version will be much better, but at this point, I'm waiting for some let's plays on youtube to see how it looks. Otherwise, it'll be up to the modders to fix game as usual which is nothing short of pathetic on Bethesda's behalf.

To be honest, I'd love for someone to do fallout in the old isometric view again. Perhaps as a total conversion on wasteland 2. Because honestly, I'd buy that in a second.

54. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 20:26 Alamar

After looking at the builder, I'm more confused on where to go, but I'm initially thinking a Str/Agi Punch/Pistol/Sneak build... I'm really not sure if the Punch part is going to be a waste, because of how important shooting appears to be...

But there are a few neat perks scattered around that I'd like to try... I don't know if I'll like it enough for a single play through, let alone multiple, so ya, I'm confused what to try heh...

Edit: Looked again, now I want 3 Charisma for the loner perk, and the rest in Luck for the Crit stuff... I'm just going round and round, convincing myself to pick the game up it seems ; )

This comment was edited on Nov 5, 2015, 20:32.

53. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 20:16 nin

Kxmode wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 19:55:
Peter M. Smith wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 17:15:
I stopped listening to naysayers. Had to, otherwise I'd find myself getting angry for no good reason. Really the only person whose opinion matters is yours.

Exactly. Too many bitchers. On almost every news post there's a comment that reads like "GRRRRRR This is shit. I'm angry!" Pathetic.

Quoted for truth!

52. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 20:03 Red

The main thing I don't like about the new perk system is that you can spend perk points to raise SPECIAL in lieu of actually picking a perk. This means there is a value ratio between perks and specials, and then that means there's potential to fuck up the balance of them. For example, Idiot Savant boils down to a net gain in experience. Well that's exactly what Intelligence does. And since you can spend a perk point on either.. does 1x Idiot Savant equate to 1x Intelligence (statistically averaged)? Hopefully more, since +Intelligence technically has a side benefit of unlocking an additional perk choice.

Is Bethesda proven at knowing how to balance stuff like this? Because if I spend a point on Idiot Savant, and later learn it's unequivocally inferior and that I should have added Intelligence instead, it will piss me off enough to stop playing (or at least start over). Just looking at the perk builder tool, I have some serious doubts that the various perks are anywhere close to balanced. And since it still hasn't been made clear that you can be successful via any approach that isn't somewhat fighter focused (this is an FPS first after all, not an RPG), I suspect that if I don't spend a hefty portion of my perks into combat, I'll be totally gimping myself. And being able to gimp yourself is bad design.

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >