AMD Driver Changes

AMD announces they are renaming the driver suite for their graphics cards to Radeon Software Crimson, from Catalyst, and that the new software should roll out by the end of this year. They say this will use a new framework under the hood, and that they plan on supporting users with more frequent driver updates. Ars Technica has some presentation slides covering the news, and here is part of their write-up:
For now, AMD is only talking about the UI changes in Crimson, which is dramatically different from the old CCC. (More will be revealed about underlying driver changes at a later date, but AMD was vague about when that might be.) The new flat design features five tabs at the top for Gaming, Video, Display, Eyefinity, and System, while the buttons at the bottom cover Updates, Preferences, and Notifications. In the middle, taking up the lion's share of the window, there's a carousel that displays announcements and promotions about games when not being used to display settings.

Crimson offers up much of the same settings as CCC, but it makes them easier to find. Under the Gaming tab you will find the new Game Manager, which allows you to tweak graphics settings globally or on a per-game basis. This includes anti-aliasing modes, tessellation modes, and frame rate target control (which sets a frame rate cap at the hardware level). There's also the new option to enable Overdrive settings (overclocking) on a per-game basis. The Overdrive UI has been given a tweak, making it much easier to understand and use.
View : : :
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: AMD Driver Changes
Nov 2, 2015, 19:13
Re: AMD Driver Changes Nov 2, 2015, 19:13
Nov 2, 2015, 19:13

WaltC wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 15:36:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 2, 2015, 14:32:
Well if more frequent drivers = better support then I'm all for it. As is problems seem to persist for longer periods on AMD cards, or touted features and OS support are unceremoniously dropped. The CCC UI isn't bad for the most part, but there has been a long existing issue with the aspect ratio controls that require fresh installs to work properly. It's a little annoying to have to use third party software to strip drivers in safe mode every time you update your drivers. Also Overdrive isn't terrible either, but it could stand to be a little more straight forward.

I've been with AMD GPUs since 2002 (R300) and I don't know what problems you allude to as I certainly haven't seen them...;) (I think most problems begin and end between the monitor and the chair, if you know what I mean.) I've never, ever had to use 3rd-party tools to install/uninstall Catalysts, and I never install/uninstall in safe mode--I tried DDE a couple of times and both times found it to be destructive--so I stopped using it. I suspect the real problem if people have one is the 3rd-party tool. Just don't need it.

What touted features & OS are you referring to that have been promised but not delivered? Aspect ratio problems only concern older games with 4:3 aspects, and then the problem is getting them to stretch the aspect to fill the screen sometimes--but I never have difficulty getting 4:3 to display in 4:3. I don't know how overdrive could be any more straight forward, frankly...;) (There I believe I've ticked off everything on your list.)

I'm just grateful I didn't buy a nVidia Maxwell GPU on the strength of what nVidia said about it being 100% D3d12-compliant in hardware, now that we've discovered it doesn't even support Async Compute! But that's something nVIdia has done before--said that a feature it doesn't support is "turned off" when the truth is it doesn't exist. I've never forgotten TNT/2 & 8-bit palletized texture support--after the card was replaced in nVidia's lineup they said, "Oh, golly, we're sorry. We just couldn't figure out how to turn it on!" Yep, nVidia really inspires confidence [not.]...;) (There are many more major foibles perpetrated by nVidia over the years I could add if I had the desire.) Remember nVIdia's "Detonator" drivers and nVidia's ridiculous claims about them? Pshaw-w-w-w-w-w-w--Don't get me started...;)

But, I hope these drivers will bring more than just the overclock settings into the per-game profiles--I'd love to see resolution and gamma in there, too.

The controls for aspect ratio break when you do a simple uninstall reinstall and require the drivers to be completely removed through use of DDU. This has been happening to me on three OS's and two different builds. In searching for a solution to the issue I saw several other people having the same issue and it has been on going for at least 2 years. I'm sure a lot of people don't notice since, as you said, it's only something you'd run into with older games. Point is it's happening to me and others and there's been no mention of a fix.

A few years ago they unceremoniously dropped support for Vista without mention, they just stopped releasing. To rub salt in the wound, they still you could still install new drivers on Vista because it's nearly identical to win7 by editing an .inf file and typing "[ATI.Mfg.NTx86.6.0]" into the appropriate spot. They just couldn't be bothered to do a little extra testing and offer official Vista support.

As far as features I'm talking about how they've stopped supporting Mantle with their new cards. Anything running the GCN 1.2 architecture will not be optimized to run their own API. Those cards run games worse using Mantle than DX11. Considering they still tout their ability to run Mantle as a feature I find that a bit shady.

As I've said there's nothing overtly bad about Overdrive, I don't like that they've switched to percentages for power and clock settings, but I've got a calculator so no big deal.

"...renaming the driver suite for their graphics cards to Radeon Software Crimson..."

That has got to be one of the worst names I've ever heard.

Agreed.

Nov 2, 2015, 18:59
Re: AMD Driver Changes Nov 2, 2015, 18:59
Nov 2, 2015, 18:59

"...renaming the driver suite for their graphics cards to Radeon Software Crimson..."

That has got to be one of the worst names I've ever heard.
"I hope those bastards get inoperable brain cancer that they have passed on to their children."
-RedEye9

No subject
Nov 2, 2015, 16:07
No subject Nov 2, 2015, 16:07
Nov 2, 2015, 16:07

Well if more frequent drivers = better support then I'm all for it. As is problems seem to persist for longer periods on AMD cards, or touted features and OS support are unceremoniously dropped.

Uh man, Nvidia has had an on-going TDR problem for almost 3 years now with no sight on end for a fix, it's one of the reasons I dumped them.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Nov 2, 2015, 15:36
Re: AMD Driver Changes Nov 2, 2015, 15:36
Nov 2, 2015, 15:36

Well if more frequent drivers = better support then I'm all for it. As is problems seem to persist for longer periods on AMD cards, or touted features and OS support are unceremoniously dropped. The CCC UI isn't bad for the most part, but there has been a long existing issue with the aspect ratio controls that require fresh installs to work properly. It's a little annoying to have to use third party software to strip drivers in safe mode every time you update your drivers. Also Overdrive isn't terrible either, but it could stand to be a little more straight forward.

I've been with AMD GPUs since 2002 (R300) and I don't know what problems you allude to as I certainly haven't seen them...;) (I think most problems begin and end between the monitor and the chair, if you know what I mean.) I've never, ever had to use 3rd-party tools to install/uninstall Catalysts, and I never install/uninstall in safe mode--I tried DDE a couple of times and both times found it to be destructive--so I stopped using it. I suspect the real problem if people have one is the 3rd-party tool. Just don't need it.

What touted features & OS are you referring to that have been promised but not delivered? Aspect ratio problems only concern older games with 4:3 aspects, and then the problem is getting them to stretch the aspect to fill the screen sometimes--but I never have difficulty getting 4:3 to display in 4:3. I don't know how overdrive could be any more straight forward, frankly...;) (There I believe I've ticked off everything on your list.)

I'm just grateful I didn't buy a nVidia Maxwell GPU on the strength of what nVidia said about it being 100% D3d12-compliant in hardware, now that we've discovered it doesn't even support Async Compute! But that's something nVIdia has done before--said that a feature it doesn't support is "turned off" when the truth is it doesn't exist. I've never forgotten TNT/2 & 8-bit palletized texture support--after the card was replaced in nVidia's lineup they said, "Oh, golly, we're sorry. We just couldn't figure out how to turn it on!" Yep, nVidia really inspires confidence [not.]...;) (There are many more major foibles perpetrated by nVidia over the years I could add if I had the desire.) Remember nVIdia's "Detonator" drivers and nVidia's ridiculous claims about them? Pshaw-w-w-w-w-w-w--Don't get me started...;)

But, I hope these drivers will bring more than just the overclock settings into the per-game profiles--I'd love to see resolution and gamma in there, too.
It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

Faster Startup
Nov 2, 2015, 14:58
Faster Startup Nov 2, 2015, 14:58
Nov 2, 2015, 14:58

One of the things that most people seem to be missing is that the new setting app will be quicker to startup. It uses QT instead of .Net. The OS was always telling me about how slow CCC was to start and how it hindered my start-up performance.

The other thing is since it is based on QT, it should work just as well in Linux as it does in Windows bringing them more parity.

Nov 2, 2015, 14:32
Re: AMD Driver Changes Nov 2, 2015, 14:32
Nov 2, 2015, 14:32

Nov 2, 2015, 10:59
Re: AMD Driver Changes Nov 2, 2015, 10:59
Nov 2, 2015, 10:59

There is some stuff there that I really don't like the sound of.

Like "Automatic games detection: All installed games on PC added to list". Having something scanning either the registry to get an incomplete list of games or scan/thrash every hard drive so it can add things to a list I have no interest in, is not exciting me. Letting the user add games or detecting them when run, sure, but such scanning really needs to be optional and manually invoked.

Instead I'd rather they added something like custom fan/temperature control.

Guess they were to busy adding things like Twotter, Fkucbook, goggle+ and instacram. Because that's what I want in my graphics drivers and their control interface.
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older