Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play

The Quake Live website reveals that id Software's multiplayer shooter is now exclusively available on Steam, and now carries a $9.99 price tag, a surprising increase of infinity percent for what had been a free-to-play game (thanks Kotaku). This announcement does not specifically address the price jump, but it does explain the Steamworks functions that are now part of the game: "Today marks a new beginning for Quake Live. Last year we expanded our platform to Steam, and today we have retired our old launcher and services in favor of integrating a robust array of Steamworks alternatives. We are now fully utilizing Steam for Friends, Chat, Lobbies, Voice Chat, Server Browser, Statistics, Achievements, Anti-cheat, Trading Cards, and Workshop." The comments reveal a lot of discontent over this change, as players say this came without warning, and leaves players scrambling for refunds for money spent under the old business model. The announcement refers these complaints to customer support, but does not outline any established policy about how they will be handled. This is not the first time a change in policy has upset players of this online shooter, as it dropped OS X and Linux support when a standalone client was released in January 2014. Here's word on the latest changes to this reworked version of QUAKE III Arena:

Subscription Service Retired

By retiring our services and subscription service, all players now have the same benefits and features in-game. All players can participate in map voting processes, have full access to customize their game to the same degree as others, and have the ability to run their own Listen Servers and configure their matches to their own liking. Players wishing to have more control over how they play now also have new callvote options, allowing them to opt into some of our newer gameplay mechanics such as Starting Weapons, Global Ammo, and Item Timers. Over time we found that these features were effective in some modes more than others, and so modes like Free For All now have loadouts disabled by default.

If you have an active Pro subscription, and you failed to download the game through Steam before this launch, please contact customer support for assistance [www.quakelive.com].

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 29, 2015, 13:51 RedEye9

Spektr wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 09:18:
It should be free for those who own quake 3 arena!

Because free pays for new maps, maintenance updates and server upgrades. Yeah right.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 29, 2015, 10:26 Kxmode

Spektr wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 09:18:

I find it interesting that virtually every band has released a Greatest Hits albums of music people already own and yet no one seems to complain that these albums aren't free, but somehow video games fall under a different standard. That being said, why do you feel Quake Live should be free?

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 4: CHORUS: And now, dear viewers, shall our play go to \ A Planet stark and drear for our next scene. \ Imagine sand and rocks within thy view. \ Prepare thy souls - we fly to Tatooine!

23. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 29, 2015, 09:18 Spektr

22. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 29, 2015, 07:34 TheVocalMinority

So how does Quake Live compare to Open Arena?  
VM

21. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 29, 2015, 05:48 ViRGE

So we're basically back to selling Quake 3 now?  

20. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 29, 2015, 03:20 InBlack

I don't get all the hate for Doom, it's alpha, one level, one gameplay mode and not the full selection of weapons. The reason why they are doing the alpha is to get feedback on the important stuff, you know the stuff everyone is complaining about...*sigh*  

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 28, 2015, 22:06 deqer

Reflex  

18. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 28, 2015, 20:34 Rhialto

vacs wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 18:55:
Brink?
No... thanks for trying.

17. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 28, 2015, 18:55 vacs

Rhialto wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 17:49:
What's the name of a similar game, name is very short, like 4/5 letters IIRC. Anyone have names in mind?

Brink?

16. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 28, 2015, 18:17 descender

I was able to launch it for free having only ran the previous steam version for about 10 minutes.

Man they really fucked this game up, server browser is considerably worse, deleted all friends and stats, matchmaking is completely borked now...

But yeah! Let's all go run out and preorder Fallout4! You guys are such suckers. :p

15. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 28, 2015, 17:49 Rhialto

What's the name of a similar game, name is very short, like 4/5 letters IIRC. Anyone have names in mind?  

14. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 28, 2015, 17:06 Krovven

Good 'ol Bethesda still finding new ways to piss off their customers.

Bethesda's motto...If it was free before, we'll try and make money off it.

13. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 28, 2015, 16:54 pagb

Retired wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 15:04:
pagb wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 10:48:
I got it in my library for free... Guess that if you played the Steam version, you are good to go.

Not true. I have time played in the game, and it is now gone.

/Only Sponge in my list has any real time int he game. SO I guess this really doesn't matter....
Played for an hour today, didn't pay for it.
[url=]http://i.imgur.com/rbivVMd.png[/url]

EDIT: And I also installed it today

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2015, 17:03.

12. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 28, 2015, 16:41 KilrathiAce

RIP Quake Live  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

11. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 28, 2015, 15:04 Retired

pagb wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 10:48:
I got it in my library for free... Guess that if you played the Steam version, you are good to go.

Not true. I have time played in the game, and it is now gone.

/Only Sponge in my list has any real time int he game. SO I guess this really doesn't matter....

10. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 28, 2015, 14:46 Hump

"Today marks a new beginning nail in the coffin for Quake Live"

fixed

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

9. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 28, 2015, 14:40 Rhett

Well I hope it's F2P if we've played before, because I JUST recently started playing it for the first time since it's come out, like a week ago, and really enjoy it. Really nostalgic playing Q3 again. I probably wouldn't buy it though. I'd rather torrent Q3 or something.

Edit: Also, UT4 is looking great. I kinda prefer the feel of Q3, but UT4 is definitely still a contender. Perhaps instantly the champion, right now, what with how Doom 4 is looking (I've only heard bad things about the alpha ... yeah yeah, alpha, NDA, etc... still disappointing.) and now this. =/

In fact, where's Quake 5? Never got into Q4, but Quake 5 seems like the logical step instead of trying to revive Doom with some weird amalgamation of gameplay styles.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2015, 14:53.

8. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 28, 2015, 14:39 Frijoles

runnerct32 wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 14:10:
why does it take them so long to make one game? I am not impressed at all with Doom 4

Bethesda's floors are covered in money and lawyers. It's hard to move around.

7. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 28, 2015, 14:10 runnerct32

why does it take them so long to make one game? I am not impressed at all with Doom 4  

6. Re: Quake Live No Longer Free-to-Play Oct 28, 2015, 12:39 SirKnight

From the Doom alpha, unless they make some big changes, Quake Live is the way to go for multiplayer. Or even the new UE4 Unreal Tournament, which is free.  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo