Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

No Man's Sky in June

A new trailer for No Man's Sky titled "I've Seen Things" shows off more of Hello Games' upcoming procedurally generated space exploration game. In addition to a look at the game, the video offers a release window, concluding saying it is expected in June 2016. Thanks Kotaku via Rob.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: No Man's Sky in June Nov 1, 2015, 09:10 theyarecomingforyou

It looks interesting but the fidelity is pretty low and I'm concerned about how enjoyable it will be to explore extremely similar planets over and over again. The space aspect looks particularly weak.

I'll definitely be waiting for reviews and playthroughs before considering it. That said, it's great to see developers trying something different.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 28, 2015, 16:03 jdreyer

Bub wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 06:49:
Any one who has played any multiplayer open world type game knows that within the first month 95% of the reachable locations will have been found and named Beavis and Butthead style.

The casual player will have little to nothing to discover as the hammerheads are always at the forefront in their drive to append silly names.

Anyone who has played any game that uses procedurally generated content knows it is simply a matter of the number of permutations you can get with X colors, X textures, X models, X weather etc. where X tends to be 16 or less so one very quickly has seen every variable, and the following mishmashes are no surprise.

I just dont see a game here other than trying to keep up with the hammerheads.

Actually, their procedurally generated galaxy is so vast that even with millions of people playing only a fraction of one % off all things will be discovered, according to lead designer Sean Murray. He said you could spend hundreds of hours on a single planet in a single system out of billions of systems and still not name everything on the planet. And being a maths guy and engineer, he's not prone to hyperbole. That's why he said running into another person is so unlikely: there are billions of systems, and even with millions of people playing your chances of being in the same system as another human are 1 in 1000. And then to actually run into them in that system. I suppose as people migrate toward the center of the galaxy, those odds increase, but still, this is a MSPO game (massively single player online).

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

44. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 28, 2015, 14:01 Verno

harlock wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 13:13:
you havent seen the videos? that should already give you some idea of the limitations in play.. i dunno maybe i am more familiar with this since ive worked in vfx and 3d art, but its pretty clearly revolving around a small set of xyzs

I've seen many of them, sure. I guess I'm not assuming I've seen everything the templates have to offer based solely on the videos. I'll wait for reviews and to see more info to get a better idea. I rarely preorder anything these days and doubt I'll make an exception for this.

nothing wrong with fun for a day or two... but thats a far cry from "infinite fun", and honestly i think its probably going to be a lot more casual than most of you are expecting theres always the usual thing of expectations vs reality... i just think its gone a bit overboard in this particular case

To be fair though, I said the discovery aspect would be practically infinite, not enjoyment. In terms of the expectations I agree, some people are looking for too much from this and need to adjust them. I'm going into it with the attitude that its going to be a broad scope with shallow mechanics so that I'm not disappointed it doesn't have multi-crew capital ships and other nonsense.

Playing: Link's Awakening, Control, Total War Warhammer 2
Watching: Mr. Mercedes, Hobbs & Shaw, Castle Rock

43. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 28, 2015, 13:13 harlock

Verno wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 10:14:
Remains to be seen. We don't really know how advanced their creation rulesets are and we don't know how many template variables are in play.

you havent seen the videos? that should already give you some idea of the limitations in play.. i dunno maybe i am more familiar with this since ive worked in vfx and 3d art, but its pretty clearly revolving around a small set of xyzs

I don't think every game needs to provide infinite replay value anyway. If this amuses me for a few days and I genuinely enjoy the experience then its money well spent. Perhaps the multiplayer aspects will lend it longevity, I don't know. Many games overstay their welcome as it is. I've got a huge pile of games to play so if this turns out to be fun but fleeting then fair enough as long as the price is right.

you know this is called rationalizing, right? nothing wrong with fun for a day or two... but thats a far cry from "infinite fun", and honestly i think its probably going to be a lot more casual than most of you are expecting

theres always the usual thing of expectations vs reality... i just think its gone a bit overboard in this particular case

trust me, id love to be wrong about it... im always down for awesome games

42. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 28, 2015, 12:05 Dreagon

I'm cool with a June release date...

but I'm wondering what prompted them to have that event with the New Yorker, and to show it off on Colbert? They should have held off on that type of hype until April or May.

------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

41. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 28, 2015, 10:33 Kxmode

wasteoid wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 00:40:
A considerable percentage of gamers would prefer to enjoy more than one classification of gaming, as delineated by the Bartle Test.

Even categorizing oneself as an Explorer, one would soon run out of new elements to discover, as the majority of the uniqueness to this game appears to be slight variations in the objects, such as color or texture.

Definitely. This is why developers try to fit aspects of all four into their games. For example in Witcher 3: Wild Hunt I liked the combat, getting achievements done, and socializing with NPCs through quests. However, exploration is what appealed to me most, and there was a LOT to explore in the Witcher 3 world.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

40. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 28, 2015, 10:22 Kxmode

Sepharo wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 20:17:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 20:06:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 19:16:
I guess "builders" are Achievers?

For me Building is a form of Exploration.

Oddly enough the wiki on Bartle Test says that builders are Killers.

"Killers also represent the archetype which is most interested in affecting their environment, so sandbox games in which they can take a direct hand in building (or destroying) a virtual society will appeal to them as well."

I can believe that. I've seen many videos showing the detonation of GINORMOUS spheres made out of TNT boxes. The resulting destruction is insane. The person simply giggles maniacally about the mass destruction they caused. So, yeah... definitely Killer material.

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2015, 10:54.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

39. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 28, 2015, 10:14 Verno

Remains to be seen. We don't really know how advanced their creation rulesets are and we don't know how many template variables are in play.

I don't think every game needs to provide infinite replay value anyway. If this amuses me for a few days and I genuinely enjoy the experience then its money well spent. Perhaps the multiplayer aspects will lend it longevity, I don't know. Many games overstay their welcome as it is. I've got a huge pile of games to play so if this turns out to be fun but fleeting then fair enough as long as the price is right.

38. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 28, 2015, 10:04 harlock

Verno wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 08:55:
If you've read anything at all about the game, you would know there are billions upon billions of them. Discovery in the game will be practically infinite in scope.

if its a practically infinite amount of the practically same stuff.... whats the point?

there certainly are a fixed or limited number of variables used to generate permutations and results based on the quality and variety of these variables combined with the algorithmic manipulations of their data sets - so really you get out what you put in, and honestly it really doesnt look "fantastic" to me, more like "amusing for a day or two, then extremely boring"

only time will tell, but i seriously doubt you will get the type of "infinity" you are looking for... an infinite pile of garbage is still a pile of garbage

dunno if you played starbound, but they have already done this kind of "infinite procedural universe" with "infinite procedural aliens" shit.. and you can see the results for yourself

37. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 28, 2015, 08:55 Verno

If you've read anything at all about the game, you would know there are billions upon billions of them. Discovery in the game will be practically infinite in scope. They've also implemented filters for names and ASCII.

Game looks fantastic, don't go into it expecting every single subsystem to be immensely deep but instead look at it as a total package.

36. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 28, 2015, 06:49 Bub

Any one who has played any multiplayer open world type game knows that within the first month 95% of the reachable locations will have been found and named Beavis and Butthead style.

The casual player will have little to nothing to discover as the hammerheads are always at the forefront in their drive to append silly names.

Anyone who has played any game that uses procedurally generated content knows it is simply a matter of the number of permutations you can get with X colors, X textures, X models, X weather etc. where X tends to be 16 or less so one very quickly has seen every variable, and the following mishmashes are no surprise.

I just dont see a game here other than trying to keep up with the hammerheads.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

35. Re: removed Oct 28, 2015, 04:31 InBlack

Krovven wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 16:58:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 27, 2015, 17:02.

...always late to the party!

I have a nifty blue line!

34. Re: removed Oct 28, 2015, 04:30 InBlack

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 16:24:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 27, 2015, 17:02.

Goddamnit!

I have a nifty blue line!

33. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 28, 2015, 04:30 jdreyer

More trailers actually works against this game. The more you see, the more the same everything looks.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

32. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 28, 2015, 03:18 shiho

I still don't see why a screensaver is being sold as a commercial product. The time of flying toasters is long behind us.  

31. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 28, 2015, 00:40 wasteoid

A considerable percentage of gamers would prefer to enjoy more than one classification of gaming, as delineated by the Bartle Test.

Even categorizing oneself as an Explorer, one would soon run out of new elements to discover, as the majority of the uniqueness to this game appears to be slight variations in the objects, such as color or texture.

30. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 27, 2015, 22:40 Cutter

This game is a one trick pony. All variations on a theme. Resources for what? Treasure for what? Battles over what? Where and what is the actual game? This game will be 'neat' for a few hours. And after you see it's all just the same thing over and over again that'll be that. Mark these words well.

"Ah, Impressionists, the boy bands of the art world." - Sideshow Bob

29. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 27, 2015, 20:17 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 20:06:

Oddly enough the wiki on Bartle Test says that builders are Killers.

"Killers also represent the archetype which is most interested in affecting their environment, so sandbox games in which they can take a direct hand in building (or destroying) a virtual society will appeal to them as well."

28. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 27, 2015, 20:12 harlock

take those teasers and shove them straight up your ass  

27. Re: No Man's Sky in June Oct 27, 2015, 20:06 Kxmode

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo