Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

The Park Released

Funcom announces the release of The Park, their new survival/horror game that shares a setting with The Secret World, their horror-themed MMORPG. A new launch trailer helps set the spooky scene, and here's word on why the Norwegian developer's first single-player game in nearly a decade won't be a walk in the park:
A day at the park... a lost teddy bear... a missing child. So begins the story of Lorraine, a mother that must face every parent's worst nightmare when her son goes missing in Atlantic Island Park. While amusement parks should be happy places, the one you visit in 'The Park' is anything but. Freak accidents, grotesque killings and ghostly hauntings have inspired many sensational headlines, and locals worry that the park is far from done claiming innocent lives.

Funcom's first-single player experience in almost ten years, 'The Park', launched on Windows PC today and is now available for purchase on Steam, Humble Store, NVIDIA GeForce NOW Store, GreenManGaming and GamersGate at a 23% promotional discount ($9.99). 'The Park' is a one to two hour adventure focusing on intense storytelling and exploration instead of combat and action. Players must explore the dilapidated amusement park and face panic and paranoia as they progress through a narrative written and created by an award-winning team of storytellers.

"Thanks to similar games in the narrative space, such as 'Gone Home', 'Dear Esther' and 'The Stanley Parable', we are confident that there is a place in the gaming industry for shorter, intense experiences," says Funcom creative director Joel Bylos. "Technically, it explores the limits of what is possible for a team to achieve with a small budget, short deadline and a strong focus."

Known largely for its massive-scale online games, 'The Park' is Funcom's first game built on a relatively small budget and short development cycle. The team's ambition has been to create a short, but intense experience with solid quality production values.

For more information about 'The Park', please visit the official website at www.theparkgame.com.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: The Park Released Oct 28, 2015, 09:35 gravity

Wesp5 wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 04:05:
gravity wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 21:55:
Also a solid few (three/four) jump scares that were quite effective, even when I felt a couple were coming.

Well, but can you really call this a game? Jump scares are typical for movies and interaction with the world is basically zero. Nothing survival in it, just about an hour of walking around in a depressing story! And that at a size bigger than good old games, like the mentioned Undying or even my favorite Bloodlines with hours of fun and tension.

It's more of an interactive experience, not a game.

HOWEVER, I should mention that my achievements list seems to suggest that I didn't get the 'true' ending, as there appears to be multiple outcomes, depending on the level of investigation you do into the back story.

I'll say it's pretty effing twisted, for sure. I didn't see it going where it did until about halfway through, then it got morally messy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: The Park Released Oct 28, 2015, 07:10 Bub

Sigh, another stake in the heart of MMO's by one of the earlyest and best online MMO's (Anarchy Online) producers Funcom.

Blizzard seems to be following the Funcom strategy, of reducing dev costs and basically just stringing on existing MMO players while expanding into games with wider audiences.

I love MMOs, and this just makes me sad.

I guess the bright side is that if you do play an MMO now there are far less obscene 12 year olds mouthing off in dungeons now.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

18. Re: The Park Released Oct 28, 2015, 04:05 Wesp5

gravity wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 21:55:
Also a solid few (three/four) jump scares that were quite effective, even when I felt a couple were coming.

Well, but can you really call this a game? Jump scares are typical for movies and interaction with the world is basically zero. Nothing survival in it, just about an hour of walking around in a depressing story! And that at a size bigger than good old games, like the mentioned Undying or even my favorite Bloodlines with hours of fun and tension.

17. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 22:36 Cutter

gravity wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 14:04:
Cutter wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 13:45:
I can't stand horror games where your only option is run and hide. Which really amounts to learn the monster's patterns and respond to them. Games like SOMA and Alien would be way better if you could interact with the environment and craft items to fight back with. Trying to avoid the monsters is intense enough but just being a victim the entire time is frustrating and monotonous. It's a shame because the environments in those games are otherwise fantastic.

Alien - There was no pattern (none discernable, at least). That fucker was insanely well designed.

SOMA - I didn't really see a pattern here either, but it was definitely easier to work out how to circumvent them in some way.

Oh sure there was in AI. That's why I ended up ragequitting that fucking game. So, as long as I stay hidden in this locker in the medbay the alien isn't going anywhere except stomping around. You're forced to sneak out of the area without getting caught. And that is learning how he moves around. That's weak sauce. All these games are the same in this regard.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

16. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 21:55 gravity

gravity wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 11:33:
Given that I'm a huge fan of survival horror type games, I'd greatly appreciate anyone provide personal feedback on this, having played it or experienced it previously.

Kinda out of the blue... <ahem>.. sorry..

So, I enjoyed this. I felt it was worth the $10 price, and it had a very adult-oriented story (once I got out of the first ride, I realized it was gonna go dark, fast).

15. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 20:31 The Half Elf

Here is something that IS NOT mentioned in the press release, but was in the email they sent out.
The Park is set within The Secret World universe.
Or as stated in the Email
"THE PARK now available, premier horror spin-off in The Secret World"

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

14. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 17:52 xXStellarDadXx

siapnar wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 15:52:
ItBurn wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 13:54:
Have you ever played Clive barker's Undying? This is a game that shows that being able to defend yourself doesn't have to make it less scary. Not sure it holds up so well nowadays.
Best horror game ever.

I would kill for an HD remake

i second that...awesome game it was...

I love Fortnite..keeps thy little kids out of thy good games...

13. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 15:52 siapnar

ItBurn wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 13:54:
Have you ever played Clive barker's Undying? This is a game that shows that being able to defend yourself doesn't have to make it less scary. Not sure it holds up so well nowadays.
Best horror game ever.

I would kill for an HD remake

12. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 15:03 Sepharo

gravity wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 14:04:
I can't stand horror games where your only option is run and hide. Which really amounts to learn the monster's patterns and respond to them. Games like SOMA and Alien would be way better if you could interact with the environment and craft items to fight back with. Trying to avoid the monsters is intense enough but just being a victim the entire time is frustrating and monotonous. It's a shame because the environments in those games are otherwise fantastic.

Alien - There was no pattern (none discernable, at least). That fucker was insanely well designed.

SOMA - I didn't really see a pattern here either, but it was definitely easier to work out how to circumvent them in some way.

I've only played SOMA for a few hours but when I don't feel like waiting for one of the baddies I just move backwards towards him. A bit immersion breaking but it gets me where I need to go

11. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 14:51 Bundy

Not all games need to have action and shooting in them. Sometimes the scary part is the fact that you're helpless.  

10. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 14:05 saluk

Of course, this style of horror coming into popularity was a response against the fact that many horror series had become increasingly action focused barely distinguishable from a typical shooter. I agree the pendulum has swung too far.

This looks pretty fun, but I'll wait for the 5$.

9. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 14:04 gravity

8. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 13:54 ItBurn

7. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 13:45 Cutter

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

6. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 13:34 ItBurn

Quinn wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 11:54:
Anyone EVER had SOMA on their radar? It should get the Worst Motherfucking Title of the Year award... Because I ignored it in every single news article or link, thinking it was another DOTA rip-off.

I nearly missed out on Amnesia in Rapture xD

Finished SOMA in two sittings. It's my game of the year so far... Story of the year. Horror game of the year. To me, its story was delivered in a way that I've never experienced before in games. But a lot of people think that the game is "meh" because they were expecting Amnesia 2. I'm glad it wasn't that because I'm tired of these types of games.

5. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 12:37 gravity

Jerykk wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 12:24:
Apparently this is super short (~90 minutes) and doesn't actually have any gameplay. It has more in common with Gone Home than Amnesia.

I'm actually OK with that (FWIW, the second poster was referencing Bioshock in Amnesia when talking about SOMA, so.. we veered off-topic).

If it's just a 'walking simulator' with some story, and good spooky experiences (which it appears to have, from the trailer), I'm down... as long as it's reasonably priced... (goes to Steam, sees $10 pricetag).. yeah, that's fine by me.

If anyone else is interested as well, I'll probably pick it up tonight, and let you all know (no spoilers).

4. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 12:24 Jerykk

Apparently this is super short (~90 minutes) and doesn't actually have any gameplay. It has more in common with Gone Home than Amnesia.  

3. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 11:58 gravity

Quinn wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 11:54:
Anyone EVER had SOMA on their radar? It should get the Worst Motherfucking Title of the Year award... Because I ignored it in every single news article or link, thinking it was another DOTA rip-off.

Actually, I pre-ordered it.

It's good. It's not Amnesia, and it takes way too long to get intense or genuinely creepy. However, the story is thought-provoking and original enough for me to finish, which is saying a lot more than I can about many other single-player titles these days who blow a lot of hot air.

2. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 11:54 Quinn

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

1. Re: The Park Released Oct 27, 2015, 11:33 gravity

Given that I'm a huge fan of survival horror type games, I'd greatly appreciate anyone provide personal feedback on this, having played it or experienced it previously.

Kinda out of the blue... <ahem>.. sorry..

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >