Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Tonight is the opening night of the NBA season, and game one of the World Series. That makes for a rare convergence where all four major U.S. team sports are in season at the same time (though it is the postseason for Major League Baseball). Obviously I'm looking forward to the World Series, which reminds me that maybe I should say something disparaging about the Knicks' chances in the NBA this season, since my pessimism about the Mets has finally paid off to some degree. Never underestimate the power of mojo!

R.I.P.: Today, We Lost a Great Japanese Illustrator. Thanks nin.

Mojo Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Project Borgs.
Patchas Halloween.
Delicious Cortex.
Stories: Dog named ‘Trigger’ shoots owner. Was the ambulance driver named driver? Thanks Devicer.
Report: 'Human DNA' found in small percentage of tested hot dogs.
Science: It’s official: Bacon, hot dogs, other processed red meat cause cancer.
'Human chimera': Man fails paternity test because genes in his saliva are different to those in sperm.
Physicists prove 'quantum spookiness' and start chasing Schrödinger’s cat.
Media: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - The Force Awakens Mashup. Thanks JDreyer.
Sometimes the job doesn't seem worth the pay. Holy moley!
Boomer the dog loving cat!.
View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

78. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2015, 09:28 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 16:58:
Veggie burgers are good. Cow burgers are good.

I know its not what you meant but I find veggie burgers universally awful

Playing: RDR2 PC, The Outer Worlds, Control
Watching: The Last Kingdom, Twin Peaks, Red Dwarf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

77. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2015, 08:23 PHJF

For example, the famous apple is never named as an actual apple in the earlier Old Hebrew editions. Merely as "forbidden fruit".

Phew, so I can go back to eating apples again? Clearly the ACTUAL forbidden fruit was dragon fruit, because who the fuck would eat one of those weird-ass things???

Steam + PSN: PHJF

76. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2015, 07:55 Jivaro

jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 19:26:
I mean..damn..they are even dyeing the salmon at my local market. It doesn't stop with red meat.

Because farmed salmon doesn't turn pink the way wild salmon does.

Umm...yeah, I know that. That kind of illustrates the point: We'll add shit to food so it looks and tastes like what we are used to rather than recognize why it doesn't do either of those things. I would buy that farmed salmon if they didn't dye it. From what I have read the salmon out of Chile is perfectly healthy without the dye and farmed fish is the only real way we are going to be able to sustain our fish diets globally. The problem is that many times those things we add, even dyes, are passed off as benign and than we find out later it isn't really the case. Adding that shit so it looks like something it isn't is just brain dead.

75. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2015, 07:39 Megalodon

Kxmode wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 17:06:
Cutter wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 13:56:
Invisible sky wizards

Can we please not get into this? Yes, there are those of us who actually believe in God. You don't have to agree with my beliefs but at least be respectful. This is an community of varying expressions.

If you don't want it to be fair game then don't bring it up in the future. It's not like people went looking for your personal belief system.

And no is the answer. No one has to be respectful of your personal belief system. That's why they're your personal beliefs. The idea that just because you believe something that people should give it any credence or offer you some sort of conversational sanctuary is ridiculous. It's not what I would've picked to ridicule in your comment though, you said plenty of dumber things there.

74. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2015, 05:17 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 13:30:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 12:32:
“Needless to say, I was rooting for the Empire from the first moment,” the Weekly Standard editor tweeted Tuesday. “It was a benevolent liberal empire, after all…[There is] no objective evidence [the] Empire was ‘evil.’ A liberal regime [with] meritocracy, upward mobility. Neocon/reformicon in spirit.”

I sure hope that guy was joking. No evidence the empire was evil? Really? Blowing up Alderaan wasn't good enough? Abolishing the Republic? The murder of Owen and Beru? The slaughter of the Jawas?

You know, upon reflection, perhaps Vader and the empire aren't so bad after all. I mean relatively, there are much more evil beings out there.

Seriously, Jared, WTF?

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK JARED???

* vomits *

Reading this seriously made me sick to my stomach.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

73. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2015, 04:59 bigspender

Creston wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 21:40:
bigspender wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 18:55:
It's not the vegans you'll need to worry about, it'll be the health insurance companies - they will refuse to pay out for your hearth bypass surgery once they measure your cholesterol and figure out that despite overwhelming evidence you've decided to give yourself atherosclerosis.
Note that this study (at least as far as I can tell, I didn't read the whole thing)

That's probably part of the problem. But to save you some time, this isn't 1 study, this is a collection of thousands of studies and they all have the same conclusion.

Put the right fuel in your sports car otherwise it becomes a people mover

72. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2015, 04:40 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 04:26:

Hmm, maybe that's where Eve went wrong: she ate the apple when she was supposed to eat the snake!

Funny you should mention that, I watched a documentary yesterday about this one dude who wanted to find the land of Eden, not the mythological Garden of Creation, but the actual land on which the myth is based. Pretty good documentary on such a controversial subject, I was impressed by this real life Indiana Jones type of guy. An important part of the documentary is the parts that were mistranslated in the different Biblical translations. For example, the famous apple is never named as an actual apple in the earlier Old Hebrew editions. Merely as "forbidden fruit".

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2015, 07:51.

I have a nifty blue line!

71. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2015, 04:26 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 04:01:
Invisible sky wizards

Can we please not get into this? Yes, there are those of us who actually believe in God. You don't have to agree with my beliefs but at least be respectful. This is an community of varying expressions.

Hang on. From your previous post you indicated that humans were designed to be vegetable eaters. Biologically speaking this is completely wrong. Do you believe in the story of Creation as it is written down in the Bible?

Hmm, maybe that's where Eve went wrong: she ate the apple when she was supposed to eat the snake!

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

70. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2015, 04:01 InBlack

Invisible sky wizards

Hang on. From your previous post you indicated that humans were designed to be vegetable eaters. Biologically speaking this is completely wrong. Do you believe in the story of Creation as it is written down in the Bible?

(Im not trying to mock or to have fun, didn't think that creationists visited these boards anymore so I just wanted to know)

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2015, 04:36.

I have a nifty blue line!

69. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2015, 02:11 NKD

Invisible sky wizards

I'm loath to agree with Cuttard, but you come in here using Biblical folktales as a reason why certain dietary choices are the "right" ones, you deserve to be laughed at. It's the same as if you posted about how the universe was created in literally 6 days.

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change

68. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 23:43 Agent.X7

harlock wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 20:32:
1badmf wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 17:30:
probably half the posts on blues are troll posts, yet you expect to be exempted from it... why? cuz your beliefs are more special than the rest of us?

of course he does - that is the main appeal of christianity... the feeling of being "special" and "important", or to put it in more exact terms "THE CHOSEN PEOPLE"

what does that mean? let me break it down for you very quickly.. (and im only touching on this point briefly because there are many more and we would be here all day if you want the long story) ...

its not just that they are special, they are CHOSEN by the CREATOR of ALL THINGS, to be the most important people on the earth... see? its not that they have decided it amongst themselves, the lowly humans they are... but that the fucking CREATOR of ALL UNIVERSES has specifically awarded them with this most prestigious honor

now, this is only one of many many many points which combine to form the juggernaut of ignorance that is modern christianity... but in these discussions you are either preaching to the choir or yelling at a wall... so, im out

Preaching to the troll choir, eh?

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
GOG - JStarX7

67. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 23:14 Sepharo

Could probably just stick to the weird unscientific statements he made about meat and the human diet  

66. removed Oct 27, 2015, 22:29 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 28, 2015, 08:01.

"I've got an emo streak. It's part of what makes me so rad." - Rick Sanchez

65. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 21:40 Creston

bigspender wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 18:55:
It's not the vegans you'll need to worry about, it'll be the health insurance companies - they will refuse to pay out for your hearth bypass surgery once they measure your cholesterol and figure out that despite overwhelming evidence you've decided to give yourself atherosclerosis.

True, just like they do with the smokers now.

Oh wait...

Note that this study (at least as far as I can tell, I didn't read the whole thing), never establishes a baseline. It's far more interesting and panic-mongering to say that "50 GRAMS OF RED MEAT GIVES YOU AN EXTRA 18% CHANCE OF GETTING ASS-CANCER!"

Assuming it's true, the fact that it's 18% on a baseline of probably ~ 0.01% is carefully ignored.

64. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 20:32 harlock

1badmf wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 17:30:
probably half the posts on blues are troll posts, yet you expect to be exempted from it... why? cuz your beliefs are more special than the rest of us?

of course he does - that is the main appeal of christianity... the feeling of being "special" and "important", or to put it in more exact terms "THE CHOSEN PEOPLE"

what does that mean? let me break it down for you very quickly.. (and im only touching on this point briefly because there are many more and we would be here all day if you want the long story) ...

its not just that they are special, they are CHOSEN by the CREATOR of ALL THINGS, to be the most important people on the earth... see? its not that they have decided it amongst themselves, the lowly humans they are... but that the fucking CREATOR of ALL UNIVERSES has specifically awarded them with this most prestigious honor

now, this is only one of many many many points which combine to form the juggernaut of ignorance that is modern christianity... but in these discussions you are either preaching to the choir or yelling at a wall... so, im out

63. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 19:42 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 19:28:
Invisible sky wizards

It's Cutter. What were you expecting?

You're right of course. Nothing to see here. Move along.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

62. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 19:33 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 17:45:
Report: 'Human DNA' found in small percentage of tested hot dogs.

"My Bologna has a first name,
It's H-U-M-A-N.
My bologna has a second name,
It's F-E-C-E-S.
Oh I love to eat it everyday,
And if you ask me why say,
Cause' Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A!!!!"

You were wondering what they did with the leftovers from your operation. Waste not, want not!

61. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 19:32 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 17:01:
was that whole post just an excuse to brag about your daughter? cuz, pretty awesome heh. i was that kid. when the other 1st graders were drawing stick figures for a pat-on-the-head art contest i drew the great seal of kansas. i literally had no idea at the time what it meant developmentally, but looking back, i was a goddamn genius XDDDD

Nah, I actually don't think she's a genius or anything. She's just a normal kid (although we're not a household where the TV runs constantly). I think that the schools are just better at teaching stuff these days, and statistics bear that out. The stuff they're teaching her in middle school is stuff I learned in high school. Her friends are all right there with her, so it's not just her.

60. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 19:28 jdreyer

Invisible sky wizards

It's Cutter. What were you expecting?

59. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 19:26 jdreyer

I mean..damn..they are even dyeing the salmon at my local market. It doesn't stop with red meat.

Because farmed salmon doesn't turn pink the way wild salmon does.

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >