Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Another Steam User Record

Just a week after setting a new Steam record of 10,761,566 players, the Steam Game and Player Statistics page shows that mark was obliterated over the weekend, when 11,625,415 users were logged in at once (thanks DSOGaming). The two most popular games listed are Dota 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, each of which boasts more concurrent users than the rest of the top 10 combined.
View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 27, 2015, 14:34 Sepharo

nin wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 11:37:
gravity wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 11:34:
Placid wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 11:13:
I wonder if they counted peps playing the Doom Alpha?

... for the entirety of 15 minutes until I determined it to be crap?

At least you got in...but yeah, I watched about 30 seconds and thought "Oh, it's Q3A again".

That would be nice, but from what I've seen that's not the case.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 27, 2015, 11:37 nin

gravity wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 11:34:

At least you got in...but yeah, I watched about 30 seconds and thought "Oh, it's Q3A again".

39. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 27, 2015, 11:34 gravity

38. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 27, 2015, 06:58 Bub

I would love to see how their sever farm, network and load balancing works. 11 million on one night is pretty amazing.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

37. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 27, 2015, 00:42 The Half Elf

As nin said, they really need some sort of organizing.

As for the Ques, it's fubar'd. I get things that aren't even remotely close to games it said it's like.

But I'd love to see a Major Publisher/Dev section, and a Indie Pub/Dev section.

As for 11.6 million people logged in that's 'ok', but how many of us leave it running in the background or while not using the computer?
What would be impressive is 11.6 million people actually playing at one time.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

36. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 19:07 jdreyer

Kxmode wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 15:06:
Not sure if this is newsworthy or Valve's PR? Inquisitive

Don't you know? All games journalism is PR.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

35. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 18:56 Creston

Krovven wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 16:03:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 15:42:
I'm amazed at how bad the Steam app performs after all of these years. The app still has huge issues refreshing data in the views, responsiveness is terrible, authentication breaks all the time, etc.

The steam app is just a glorified web app that can manage installations and a streaming server. I think a web app is the right way to go, but it's just implemented poorly. They should be using a reactive interface that handles state change better. It also looks like the app's caching isn't great because it takes too goddam long for content to refresh.

Anyway, I still use the hell out of Steam. I follow many forums and engage quite a bit, but it's a terrible web app. Even the new iOS release is just horrible. Valve has this internal structure where the employees to whatever the hell they want... I can't believe no one with any ability has taking up the charge to modernize this POS app.

Can't say I've had these problems. What do you mean by authentication breaks all the time? Steam isn't slow or unresponsive for me, quite the opposite.

I used to have major problems with it. Starting a game would take like a minute or more, where it'd just sit there spinning, doing their authentication check.

That went away when they switched to whatever new authentication system they came up with, though.

34. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 18:52 killer_roach

Krovven wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 18:18:
I don't get what you are describing. Based on you saying you get randomly logged out all the time...I'd say there is an issue with your connection somewhere between you and the Steam servers. Could be settings at your ISP, could be a faulty modem/router, or could just be a bad node somewhere.

I had it happen for like a day recently... fine now, regardless.

Overall, I'd describe Steam's software quality as "quirky". Very little that's game-breakingly bad (although it's mysteriously deleted a couple of games from my inventory before - sometimes it was doing me a favor, but I contacted Valve when it happened with Portal 2. They got it sorted out in about a week), but quite a few little things that make it feel like something short of a mature piece of software. UI lags, display quirks, and an update system with a proclivity toward locking up the entire application for a few moments... but since most of these mostly get filed under "nuisances", and tend to be experienced by those who are the most disproportionately invested in the platform, these usually get swept under the rug. Not necessarily terrible for the users, but it provides a broken feedback loop for developers.

33. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 18:43 HorrorScope

necrosis wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 18:27:
Man. Reading all the gripes that people have of Steam in this thread just make me go... uhhh... what? OK... whatever.

Right it's like anti-pc or something on a pc site, but whatevah's. It broke a concurrent user records, it's loved and used.

32. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 18:27 necrosis

Man. Reading all the gripes that people have of Steam in this thread just make me go... uhhh... what? OK... whatever.  

31. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 18:18 Krovven

Orogogus wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 17:14:
Can't say I've had these problems. What do you mean by authentication breaks all the time? Steam isn't slow or unresponsive for me, quite the opposite.

It happens to me. I think I was going through my inventory last night and every few pages it would get logged out and ask me to enter my username and password again.

One error I'm surprised is still around is when you get a notification that you have a new inventory item, click it to go to inventory, and for some reason the link for the first new item fails and you can't click on it. The second, third, etc. items all work, but the first item just refuses to focus when you click on it. I keep thinking, surely if these guys use their own product then someone's going to see this and fix it, right? But no.

I don't get what you are describing. Based on you saying you get randomly logged out all the time...I'd say there is an issue with your connection somewhere between you and the Steam servers. Could be settings at your ISP, could be a faulty modem/router, or could just be a bad node somewhere.

30. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 18:00 HorrorScope

I wouldn't mind having a filter in steam to not ever see something if I choose. Like Anime. Or FTP MMO. Or a combo of a few things.  

29. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 17:14 Orogogus

It happens to me. I think I was going through my inventory last night and every few pages it would get logged out and ask me to enter my username and password again.

One error I'm surprised is still around is when you get a notification that you have a new inventory item, click it to go to inventory, and for some reason the link for the first new item fails and you can't click on it. The second, third, etc. items all work, but the first item just refuses to focus when you click on it. I keep thinking, surely if these guys use their own product then someone's going to see this and fix it, right? But no.

28. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 17:05 Primalchrome

I use it all the time. Still works well for consolidating games and managing auto-updates across my library. I'm not particularly active in the forums or workshop....but the platform does everything I'm looking for.

With regards to the 'shovelware' comments.... I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the indie titles I've run across for a couple of bucks. It seems fairly easy to ignore the titles that do not interest me. If you guys are this sensitive, I don't know how you guys navigate Amazon.com or walk through a department store....

27. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 16:52 WaltC

I've used Steam ~12 times this year...definitely a record!  

It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

26. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 16:50 Megalodon

They introduced the queue for that reason and its a nice way of getting around the mobile glut problem. Steam is fine, people will complain about anything these days. It has a ton of functionality, fits it into a small memory footprint and the only pricing that is a problem on there is the AAAs which has nothing to do with Steam itself.

That's why Steam continues to grow, it is the best. When something better comes along I will gladly use that instead but nothing else comes close.

25. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 16:46 nin

Sepharo wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 16:41:
The Half Elf wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 16:11:
The biggest issue with Steam is all the CRAP on it. Don't get me wrong I'm happy for the Indie scene, but the amount of shit on Steam that is 2d phone shovelware is insane.

Another complaint I've never understood. Do you also go to music stores and complain about them carrying country/rap music? Or go to a public library and lament the amount of pulp romance books? Never once have I gone to a store and thought, "Wow this place would be a lot better if it only carried things I'm personally interested in."

But (IMO) steam isn't organized like those. You go to the front page, and all kinds of shit is plastered there. And their search isn't as robust, either, bringing back hundreds of hits in some cases, for different genres.

A search at amazon or the library would produce much more focused results.

24. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 16:41 Sepharo

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 16:11:
The biggest issue with Steam is all the CRAP on it. Don't get me wrong I'm happy for the Indie scene, but the amount of shit on Steam that is 2d phone shovelware is insane.

Another complaint I've never understood. Do you also go to music stores and complain about them carrying country/rap music? Or go to a public library and lament the amount of pulp romance books? Never once have I gone to a store and thought, "Wow this place would be a lot better if it only carried things I'm personally interested in."

23. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 16:11 The Half Elf

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

22. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 16:06 Sepharo

Sometimes when I read these posts complaining about the Steam client as a piece of software I wonder if I'm using a different secret version or something.  

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >