Oct 21, 2015, 14:53
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 21, 2015, 14:53
Oct 21, 2015, 14:53

A year between posts, good to see you back Bhruic

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Oct 20, 2015, 04:35
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 20, 2015, 04:35
Oct 20, 2015, 04:35

I get where you're coming from but I can't think of any quality applications that failed due to visibility alone.

There are definitely cases where "original" work doesn't get any traction, someone else comes along and makes a clone, gets more publicity, and becomes the "defacto" for that particular app. Hell, Angry Birds itself is the prime example of that - there were lots of similar games that existed well before it came along. It doesn't help to bring new ideas to the table if someone else can use your ideas and get the profit from it.

Oct 19, 2015, 15:13
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2015, 15:13
Oct 19, 2015, 15:13

Verno wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 15:04:
Bundy wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 14:55:
Believe me, I'm not supporting fake reviews. I'm moreso ranting on how one-sided the system is. Off topic, I know. One thing that gets far too often ignored though isn't fake reviews, but bad reviews. I made a spelling game earlier this year and I got a 1 star review that just said, "I wanted to download Alpha Betty Saga but my phone downloaded this one instead, I didn't want this one. I wanted Alpha Betty." Honestly, you clicked the wrong icon and I get the 1 star review?! What the hell am I supposed to do about that.

Perhaps in the beginning word of mouth could get the ball rolling but that's not the case these days. There's just too much saturation in the market. The vast majority of users download from the top 10 and featured lists.

Yeah I can see that as very frustrating. It reminds me of Newegg reviews where people are dinging products for things entirely unrelated.

I'm not sure about your second point though. Yeah people absolutely use top10 lists and stuff like that due to the glut of apps. Is that really a problem though? If you're entering a market with that sort of saturation don't you have to focus on a niche to get noticed? I agree its tough to compete without paid reviews but isn't that the way it should be when you have 1,000,000 apps all fighting for attention? I don't see any fair way to equally represent them. Don't get me wrong, the paid reviews shouldn't be there at all.

I dont have any solutions. And quite frankly I download from the top 10 lists too, or because I read about an app/game on the internet and was intrigued. Its definitely frustrating when you work for a long time on a game, release it, and it gets buried in the dungeon of the app store immediately. Then king releases a game with the exact theme as yours two weeks later and apple puts it front and center in the app store and gets 10 million downloads in 1 day.

Oct 19, 2015, 15:04
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2015, 15:04
Oct 19, 2015, 15:04

Bundy wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 14:55:
Believe me, I'm not supporting fake reviews. I'm moreso ranting on how one-sided the system is. Off topic, I know. One thing that gets far too often ignored though isn't fake reviews, but bad reviews. I made a spelling game earlier this year and I got a 1 star review that just said, "I wanted to download Alpha Betty Saga but my phone downloaded this one instead, I didn't want this one. I wanted Alpha Betty." Honestly, you clicked the wrong icon and I get the 1 star review?! What the hell am I supposed to do about that.

Perhaps in the beginning word of mouth could get the ball rolling but that's not the case these days. There's just too much saturation in the market. The vast majority of users download from the top 10 and featured lists.

Yeah I can see that as very frustrating. It reminds me of Newegg reviews where people are dinging products for things entirely unrelated.

I'm not sure about your second point though. Yeah people absolutely use top10 lists and stuff like that due to the glut of apps. Is that really a problem though? If you're entering a market with that sort of saturation don't you have to focus on a niche to get noticed? I agree its tough to compete without paid reviews but isn't that the way it should be when you have 1,000,000 apps all fighting for attention? I don't see any fair way to equally represent them. Don't get me wrong, the paid reviews shouldn't be there at all.

Oct 19, 2015, 14:55
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2015, 14:55
Oct 19, 2015, 14:55

Oct 19, 2015, 14:49
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2015, 14:49
Oct 19, 2015, 14:49

Bundy wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 14:11:
Success in the mobile app world these days primarily comes down to one thing. Visibility. And it's commonly known that the number of reviews and the strength of those reviews raises your ranking in the store.

I get where you're coming from but I can't think of any quality applications that failed due to visibility alone. It's idiotic that people are able to just buy their way to a high ranking which does guarantee some casual purchases. That said I see a lot of people in the mobile app world who blame their failures on it when the reality is that if you build something genuinely new and useful word of mouth will usually get the ball rolling. A lot of devs seem to expect broad success from their niche usage case scenario and that can certainly happen but it takes time to build that audience. If you're doing something already popularized then you really need to bring new ideas to the table that are also readily apparent and easily implemented into everyday use. It's a tough racket.

One of my favorite apps is a very customizable Alarm Clock for Android. The author basically made no money on it for the first few years. To be blunt it was his own fault. It wasn't competitive at that time and lacked the features users wanted. He went onto his blog and posted some angry rants about how unfair the system was. He was right in his rant but that wasn't the reason his sales wasn't meeting his expectations. Eventually he iterated enough that it achieved some success.

Anyways corporations already heavily influence most traditional review sources with ad spends so user reviews are pretty important to me. I'm happy to see Amazon fighting to keep them as uninfluenced by companies as possible.

Oct 19, 2015, 14:47
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2015, 14:47
Oct 19, 2015, 14:47

Of course it's really easy to fake 1 review for 1 fake purchase, it's significantly more difficult to fake 100 or 1000 purchases. People will always find a way around "systems". You can't hope to accommodate for that, it's b practically impossible.

You just have to make it enough of an annoyance to post illegitimate reviews that the common person/seller won't bother. This would clean up a significant chunk of the problem.

Oct 19, 2015, 14:11
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2015, 14:11
Oct 19, 2015, 14:11

I'm a little split on this one. On one hand fake reviews are surely misleading and invalidate the entire system. On the other, as an indie dev myself, I know how impossible it is to compete with the likes of the big companies. King, Disney and Zynga get free advertising right from Amazon/Apple/Google as their apps are always featured right there first and foremost on the device's store page. The little guy has very few options in getting themselves noticed.

Plus, it works. Flappy Bird didn't go viral because it was awesome. The dude paid one of those Chinese companies to install it on tens of thousands of devices. The game flew up the listings and as soon as it was in the top 50, that was it. The store did all the rest.

Success in the mobile app world these days primarily comes down to one thing. Visibility. And it's commonly known that the number of reviews and the strength of those reviews raises your ranking in the store.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 2015, 14:32.

Oct 19, 2015, 14:07
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2015, 14:07
Oct 19, 2015, 14:07

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 11:24:
descender wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:52:
I never understood why they let people post reviews that don't have a verified purchase of the item through Amazon. That seems like it would curtail a large chunk of the fake reviews.

It'd also lead to a LOT fewer legit reviews. I've posted reviews for items I've bought elsewhere but loved/hated enough to tell others about it. My computer case, for example. I fucking LOVE it, and posted reviews everywhere I could. It's the first case that's so goddamn pretty that half the components in it were purchased to be color-complimentary. The only holdout is the motherboard, and I REALLY don't want the hassle of replacing that just for a slight color difference (dark brown board VS the actual black of a Krait). It's an NZXT S340 White if you were curious.

But at the same time, it WOULD cut down on bullshit reviews pretty sharply. There's still Amazon Vine, which sends lucky bastards free stuff that they review. It's not QUITE "buying" reviews, but people in the program may give higher ratings that they would have if they'd had to pay for it.

Also it's not a guaranteed legit review even if there is an order associated with it. As I understand it, on some sites people would arrange for the fake reviews and indicate who would be ordering it and that instead of sending the product they should just send an empty envelope or something they can put the shipping label on, circumventing the 'verified owner' limitation.

Oct 19, 2015, 11:24
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2015, 11:24
Oct 19, 2015, 11:24

descender wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 10:52:
I never understood why they let people post reviews that don't have a verified purchase of the item through Amazon. That seems like it would curtail a large chunk of the fake reviews.

It'd also lead to a LOT fewer legit reviews. I've posted reviews for items I've bought elsewhere but loved/hated enough to tell others about it. My computer case, for example. I fucking LOVE it, and posted reviews everywhere I could. It's the first case that's so goddamn pretty that half the components in it were purchased to be color-complimentary. The only holdout is the motherboard, and I REALLY don't want the hassle of replacing that just for a slight color difference (dark brown board VS the actual black of a Krait). It's an NZXT S340 White if you were curious.

But at the same time, it WOULD cut down on bullshit reviews pretty sharply. There's still Amazon Vine, which sends lucky bastards free stuff that they review. It's not QUITE "buying" reviews, but people in the program may give higher ratings that they would have if they'd had to pay for it.

Oct 19, 2015, 10:52
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2015, 10:52
Oct 19, 2015, 10:52

Oct 19, 2015, 10:38
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 19, 2015, 10:38
Oct 19, 2015, 10:38

Good to see Amazon doing something about that unlike sites like IMDB where viral marketers run rampant.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older