Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First?

AnandTech notes part of yesterday's announcement of new features for GeForce Experience was word that in the future, users of that program may get first crack at game-ready drivers over those who just want to download drivers without any added experiences. The update doesn't explicitly say that driver updates will be delayed for non-Experience users, but the implication is certainly there, as they say:

In the new GeForce Experience Beta update we’re adding an email registration feature so we can better support and communicate with our users; the next time you download a Game Ready driver through GeForce Experience you’ll be asked for a verified email address. After that you’ll have instant access to drivers, will receive NVIDIA product news and announcements, and have the chance to win hardware, free game codes, early access to game betas, and other cool stuff.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 17, 2015, 08:04 TheEmissary

This is a pretty lame move considering lot of games lately need day0 drivers to even run right. I don't use a VR/3d glasses, game streaming or shadowplay features so I really don't have a use for experience. It shouldn't be forced on people.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 23:57 PHJF

The people who "don't know who makes their gfx card" are people with Intel integrated graphics. People concerned with having up-to-date hardware drivers know damn well what hardware they have.

But it is a non deal. "Game ready" is pure marketing bunk.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

44. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 19:46 timesten

I have GFE, a 970, a shield tablet and a shield tv. I played the witcher 3 almost primarily on the shield tv and had a good time doing it.. mostly. there were some quirks on how it connected to my pc that I figured out. It doesn't like it when you try to RDP into your pc for some reason, but I figured out I could just reboot and fix it.

I have to have GFE to stream to my shield devices. I just looked, and in task manager the most resource intensive program uses 44mb of ram. there were 10 or so processes, including the streaming servers for sending games to the remote devices.

I get that people think that this is a shady move, but in reality nvidia are correct. a lot of people dont even know who makes their gfx card, fewer update them regularly. the rub seems to be those people who dont value GFE, which you could reasonably not, but want up to date drivers. I bet there will be an ftp site you can get them from, they just wont broadcast.

It seems like a non deal IYAM.

43. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 19:02 Tyrric

Julio wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 18:11:
Asmodai wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 11:34:
not getting early access to drivers is a + with nvidia atm, everything since 350 has been bugged/broken

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure why anyone is very excited over new drivers.

Same here, which is why I find it so annoying that EA will force you to upgrade your drivers just to play certain games. I skipped the Battlefront beta because I did not feel like playing driver roulette.

42. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 18:11 Julio

Asmodai wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 11:34:
not getting early access to drivers is a + with nvidia atm, everything since 350 has been bugged/broken

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure why anyone is very excited over new drivers.

41. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 17:24 NewMaxx

shihonage wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 16:44:
We live in an age where operating systems become smorgasborgs occupying gigabytes of memory for no reason, where printer drivers are hundreds of megabytes, and where videocard companies push their crapware onto the customer.

Hey NVidia, shadowplay sounds great. How about putting it into your already extensive and feature-rich NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL, you buttholes? No?

Well, fuck you then.

ROFL! Awesome.

It's called memory creep. When memory outpaces software - and keep in mind that in the old glory days of gaming it was the opposite situation - developers get lazy. It's been a huge problem in javascript programming for years now. I'll admit that's a different thing because of how the language works with its dump/heap mechanics, but one could argue the language got popular in response to this situation.

With Windows and proper design, extra memory is used as cache to speed up overall performance by predicting what you'll require. People often decry this as wasting memory, others say it's good. The reality is your CPU already does this with multiple layers of cache. Then it does it again with RAM. The OS is just another layer on top of that which is better aware of your actual usage. A large, and I mean large part of CPU design is based around branch prediction and the best use of cache. Source: designed it before

My point is, memory as we know it - RAM - is so ridiculously cheap for its size and performance relative to software needs that programmers don't even consider it in the vast majority of cases. That being said, you're absolutely correct. It's just that it's no longer a priority to the eggheads.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2015, 17:29.

40. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 17:16 descender

Thats how it currently works, not how it will work according to the announcement.

You must be reading some other announcement.

39. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 16:44 shiho

We live in an age where operating systems become smorgasborgs occupying gigabytes of memory for no reason, where printer drivers are hundreds of megabytes, and where videocard companies push their crapware onto the customer.

Hey NVidia, shadowplay sounds great. How about putting it into your already extensive and feature-rich NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL, you buttholes? No?

Well, fuck you then.

38. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 16:39 LiTh

descender wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 16:36:
They will not be on 3rd party websites because they will only be released through GFE.

GFE simply downloads and launches a silent install of the same exact driver package the website uses... so after someone downloads it you'll be able to get it from 3rd party sites.

If you were deadset on finding something to complain about then kudos... but you clearly have no idea how the program even works. :p

Thats how it currently works, not how it will work according to the announcement.

37. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 16:36 descender

They will not be on 3rd party websites because they will only be released through GFE.

GFE simply downloads and launches a silent install of the same exact driver package the website uses... so after someone downloads it you'll be able to get it from 3rd party sites.

If you were deadset on finding something to complain about then kudos... but you clearly have no idea how the program even works. :p

36. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 16:32 LiTh

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 16:27:
LiTh wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 16:16:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 16:08:
LiTh wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 15:59:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 15:28:
LiTh wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 12:40:
For a power user that typically overclocks their CPU & GPU and takes pride in getting the most performance out of their system this is a slap in the face. GF Experience has only ever under estimated my machine and settings it can handle or just screwed up SLI profiles. Once i uninstalled it i've yet to have a problem since. Typically i only install the driver and Physx, everything else is bloat and only another point of failure.

You call yourself a power user and don't even know that GFE can be set up any way you like with regard to optimal settings (which -yes- are retarded and often times more used to advertise nVidia exclusive features than the best settings for visual quality)?
It is a simple check box where you select whether you want GFE to automatically apply optimal settings or to even recommend them at all. There are a whopping three check boxes total to customize GFE optimal settings any way you like. I hope you can handle that as a self-proclaimed "power user"(?)...

Personally I'm allowing GFE to recommend because I sometimes like to compare their recommended to my actual preferred settings. I'm naturally not allowing automatic application of the recommended settings. That's obviously a setting only for uber n00bs who can not be bothered to go into in-game menus at all.

So i'm suppose to install the program so i can uncheck some boxes which happens to have the same effect as not installing it anyways... Thinking Ya sounds great!

You're supposed to optionally install it for the latest drivers in the future. It says so in the news.
You could have optionally installed it currently or in the past, like many people have, for easier and more convenient access (one-click-install basically) to the latest drivers. GFE takes up a whooping 3MB of RAM.

Whether you use any of the other features or not is up to you but to criticize features of the program that you are apparently not competent enough to handle is kinda sloppy, man.

Its not going to be optional however. Its going to be mandatory to be able to get the latest drivers. I prefer not using it at all, having the latest drivers, and then using NVInspector if i want something changed for my SLI profile.

Dude. Am I writing Chinese? That's exactly what I wrote. Optional for the latest drivers.
If you don't want to use it, fine, there may be other ways to obtain the drivers for manual installs in the future but GFE is an extremely easy going piece of software.

Don't get me wrong. I dislike the planned e-mail verification, too, but you criticized GFE for something it simply does not even do if set up correctly so I was only defending it against uninformed FUD, not on principle or against the planned changes.
I can optionally set up dozens of e-mail addresses courtesy of my ISP so I will probably use a throwaway address and just keep using GFE for convenience.

Reading comprehension is hard....Lets try again.. Its not going to be possible to get the latest Nvidia drivers without installing GFE. They will not be on 3rd party websites because they will only be released through GFE. Only old quarterly released drivers will be seperated. That is a problem. There is nothing remotely optional about that scheme if you want the updated drivers.

35. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 16:27 CJ_Parker

LiTh wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 16:16:
For a power user that typically overclocks their CPU & GPU and takes pride in getting the most performance out of their system this is a slap in the face. GF Experience has only ever under estimated my machine and settings it can handle or just screwed up SLI profiles. Once i uninstalled it i've yet to have a problem since. Typically i only install the driver and Physx, everything else is bloat and only another point of failure.

You call yourself a power user and don't even know that GFE can be set up any way you like with regard to optimal settings (which -yes- are retarded and often times more used to advertise nVidia exclusive features than the best settings for visual quality)?
It is a simple check box where you select whether you want GFE to automatically apply optimal settings or to even recommend them at all. There are a whopping three check boxes total to customize GFE optimal settings any way you like. I hope you can handle that as a self-proclaimed "power user"(?)...

Personally I'm allowing GFE to recommend because I sometimes like to compare their recommended to my actual preferred settings. I'm naturally not allowing automatic application of the recommended settings. That's obviously a setting only for uber n00bs who can not be bothered to go into in-game menus at all.

So i'm suppose to install the program so i can uncheck some boxes which happens to have the same effect as not installing it anyways... Thinking Ya sounds great!

You're supposed to optionally install it for the latest drivers in the future. It says so in the news.
You could have optionally installed it currently or in the past, like many people have, for easier and more convenient access (one-click-install basically) to the latest drivers. GFE takes up a whooping 3MB of RAM.

Whether you use any of the other features or not is up to you but to criticize features of the program that you are apparently not competent enough to handle is kinda sloppy, man.

Its not going to be optional however. Its going to be mandatory to be able to get the latest drivers. I prefer not using it at all, having the latest drivers, and then using NVInspector if i want something changed for my SLI profile.

Dude. Am I writing Chinese? That's exactly what I wrote. Optional for the latest drivers.
If you don't want to use it, fine, there may be other ways to obtain the drivers for manual installs in the future but GFE is an extremely easy going piece of software.

Don't get me wrong. I dislike the planned e-mail verification, too, but you criticized GFE for something it simply does not even do if set up correctly so I was only defending it against uninformed FUD, not on principle or against the planned changes.
I can optionally set up dozens of e-mail addresses courtesy of my ISP so I will probably use a throwaway address and just keep using GFE for convenience.

34. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 16:16 LiTh

Here's a link explaining things, since you seem a little slow

33. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 16:08 CJ_Parker

32. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 15:59 LiTh

31. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 15:28 CJ_Parker

30. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 15:26 siapnar

I use GFE just for shadowplay. I didn't even let it scan my games library. I always tweak settings myself, anyway.

And when I install drivers I choose the display driver + physx. Nothing else.

29. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 14:56 HorrorScope

Lorcin wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 13:57:
Never fails to amuse me the amount of whinging old women who follow PC news here.

I know, the next time I check GFE install will be the first. I was satisfied with the basic driver and control panel, has served me well. We'll see what the future holds.

28. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 13:57 Lorcin

Never fails to amuse me the amount of whinging old women who follow PC news here.  

27. Re: GeForce Experience Users to Get Drivers First? Oct 16, 2015, 13:52 Luke

HoSpanky wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 13:46:
I installed GFE for Shadowplay, which works exactly as you'd hope. Other than that, it hasn't APPEARED intrusive. I only have a SINGLE game that actually needs every ounce of processing power my rig has, and it runs at a solid, SOLID 60fps despite CPU at 95% or more (GTAV). I'll worry about it when it causes problems or performance issues.

The days of running my machine dangerously are likely over. I'm already at Absurd Overkill for anything but 4K, which will likely be economically viable within another couple generations of video cards when 6-12gb of memory is available on the midrange cards. Point is, the incredibly tiny amount of processor time/memory used by GFE just doesn't matter. I'm not even remotely concerned with getting drivers early; I usually let them marinate a day or two before grabbing them anyway.

Well don't need this sniffing tool on the taskbar

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo