Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Well I made it through my colonoscopy fine, and I want to thank all of you who had suggestions on how to make the procedure easier, as they certainly helped. I appreciate the willingness some of you expressed to share the experience. Based on that, I'm thinking the next time I should find a way to livestream it. Bring the scope to Periscope, don't you think?

Scoped Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Castlevania: Bloodlines.
The Blocks Cometh.
Water Ragdoll 2.
Links: The Pixar Theory. Thanks Capella.
The Most Rewatchable Films Of All Time?
Science: Breast cancer drug beats superbug.
Schizophrenia In America.
Media: Selfie from hell.
Traffic....No Problem. #gtadrivingschool
Real Mjolnir.
Auctions: Warhammer: The End Times Vermintide I Don'T Wanna Jump Edition. For charity.
View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2015, 11:01 descender

To be fair the software they use to make their entries is really only effective on the multi-entry tournaments, but you are also right that no one should be playing on these sites anyway. The odds that you could or would do enough research to beat someone doing this full time are absurdly low.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2015, 10:35 Retired

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 21:42:
I don't particularly care for FanDuel or DraftKings, I find their commercials misleading and annoying. But it's probably a bit of a overstatement to call them scams. Even if all the allegations about employees of one site using the data from their site to pick teams on the other site is true, the players they select still have to have good games. Were they cheating? It's probably reasonable to call it that. But it's not guaranteed wins for them.

However, it's not like the scandal of the poker site (was it PokerStars?) where an ex-employee still had an administrator login to the site and was playing poker while being able to his opponents hold cards. What bugs me is that some lobbyist managed to get it made legal with an exception for fantasy sports as a game of skill in the same bill that killed the US poker sites.

You are playing against people who are betting millions a week with computer algorithms. You won't win.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2015, 00:44 Dacron

Ha, draftkings. Bill Burr did a great rant on them... and had to make another follow up due to their reaction. Oh, and they were (not anymore lol) a sponsor at the time, ha.

But seriously, how do people fall for stuff like that? It's like me expecting win the lottery based off numbers I picked from the most common numbers drawn in the lotteries history.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2015, 21:42 Mr. Tact

I don't particularly care for FanDuel or DraftKings, I find their commercials misleading and annoying. But it's probably a bit of a overstatement to call them scams. Even if all the allegations about employees of one site using the data from their site to pick teams on the other site is true, the players they select still have to have good games. Were they cheating? It's probably reasonable to call it that. But it's not guaranteed wins for them.

However, it's not like the scandal of the poker site (was it PokerStars?) where an ex-employee still had an administrator login to the site and was playing poker while being able to his opponents hold cards. What bugs me is that some lobbyist managed to get it made legal with an exception for fantasy sports as a game of skill in the same bill that killed the US poker sites.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2015, 20:52 Retired

Kxmode wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 14:36:
Retired wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 14:19:
I picked ATL in the main league, but took NO in the spread league. Thought it was going to be a close game, but knew that Brees rarely loses at home, and it was time for him to light a team up.

Anyone use DraftKings? I heard they spent like 300 million bucks on advertising during the first few weeks in September.

You know that is a scam right? You are picking against share holders who have computer algorithms that pick the winners to the tune of 100s of Millions a week.

No one should be playing FanDuel or DrafKings.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2015, 18:15 Julio

BPar wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 13:21:
So Blue, if you are superstitious, does that mean you are getting a colonoscopy every time the Mets play?

Now we know it's all on Blue to keep the Mets in the post season. They should give you free season tickets for doing that.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2015, 17:26 1badmf

So Blue, if you are superstitious, does that mean you are getting a colonoscopy every time the Mets play?

blue seems pretty sane as far as sports fans go, but i wouldn't doubt there are some crazies out there who would actually do this.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2015, 16:55 nin

jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 16:09:
Finally, I want to tell you my secret now: I rewatched the Sixth Sense last week for the first time in a decade or so. Still as amazing and powerful as ever. M. Night, what a waste of potential.

I heard his latest (about the crazy grandparents) is actually pretty good, and funny as well. I've got it in my NF queue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfQnRjkuvaY

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2015, 16:35 Dacron

I think Idiocracy can be rewatched until the end of time. It only becomes more relevant each year, and made amazing predictions (President Comancho... Trump/Kanye) that relate directly to what the world is like today.  

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

18. Re: Rewatchable movies Oct 16, 2015, 16:16 eRe4s3r

jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 15:39:
Retired wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 14:18:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 11:42:
How about something that I am mostly (not at all) sure you have not seen? Like this

The Original The Thing from another World from 1951

It is on all the time, and a hell of a lot better than the most recent version. I thought this was a staple of being a human being.

Oh for sure, but Carpenter's '82 version is still the greatest. And it has some of the best dog acting ever captured on film.

I agree But for me all "Thing" movies are worth a watch, if only to see how different directors approach a mostly identical plot. Atmosphere wise the 82 version was definitely top though... but rewatch .. I have to admit I like the "latest" Thing the most. That monster chase scene is BY FAR the creepiest thing I ever have seen in a movie so far.

If you are a fan of such movies anyway. And I would say greatly rewatchable is also Mad Max 2/3 and yes, 4

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2015, 16:09 jdreyer

The Most Rewatchable Films

Of that list, I'll definitely agree with these:
- Star Wars
- The Princess Bride
- The Godfather
- The Matrix
- Pulp Fiction
- LotR (the first one especially)
- ST: The Wrath of Khan

To that I would add:
- Aliens
- The Terminator & T2
- Jurassic Park
- Edge of Tomorrow

What makes these films so rewatchable is that they contain iconic characters and scenes that don't lose their impact no matter how many times you watch them: the sword fight between Roberts and Montoya, the shootout in Tech Noir, Royale with Cheese, Neo vs. Morpheus, the bridge of Khazad-dum, Michael Corleone, T-Rex vs. the Jeep.

One of the movies I've enjoyed rewatching, although many would disagree is Starship Troopers. I love how it goes over the top with the gore, and the action set pieces and FX still hold up to this day.

Finally, I want to tell you my secret now: I rewatched the Sixth Sense last week for the first time in a decade or so. Still as amazing and powerful as ever. M. Night, what a waste of potential.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2015, 15:41 jdreyer

SlimRam wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 14:54:
Based on that, I'm thinking the next time I should find a way to livestream it. Bring the scope to Periscope, don't you think?

'Blue's News: Going Deeper Into The Bowels of Gaming Than You EVER Thought Possible!'

I'm waiting for the film version, "Inside Stephen Heaslip" starring Gary Oldman as the titular character.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

15. Re: Rewatchable movies Oct 16, 2015, 15:39 jdreyer

Retired wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 14:18:
How about something that I am mostly (not at all) sure you have not seen? Like this

It is on all the time, and a hell of a lot better than the most recent version. I thought this was a staple of being a human being.

Oh for sure, but Carpenter's '82 version is still the greatest. And it has some of the best dog acting ever captured on film.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2015, 15:26 Creston

Oh that's just evil.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2015, 15:20 Stormsinger

The article on schizophrenia is nothing short of excellent. As my wife suffers from this disease, I have more than a little interest in such. And while this treatment strategy evolved too late for her, it's a great goodness to think that others may not have to endure what she has.

Thanks for the link, Blue.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2015, 14:54 SlimRam

Based on that, I'm thinking the next time I should find a way to livestream it. Bring the scope to Periscope, don't you think?

'Blue's News: Going Deeper Into The Bowels of Gaming Than You EVER Thought Possible!'

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2015, 14:36 Kxmode

Retired wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 14:19:
I picked ATL in the main league, but took NO in the spread league. Thought it was going to be a close game, but knew that Brees rarely loses at home, and it was time for him to light a team up.

Anyone use DraftKings? I heard they spent like 300 million bucks on advertising during the first few weeks in September.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2015, 14:19 Retired

Pigeon wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 13:11:
Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 12:55:
D'oh! Everyone had Atlanta in the Pick 'em League.

I said there'd be upsets this week and it's already started.

9. Re: Rewatchable movies Oct 16, 2015, 14:18 Retired

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2015, 14:04 nin

Kxmode wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 13:54:
Hi, I'm Mike McCain, a Creative Director at Harebrained Schemes (Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, BATTLETECH). Ask me anything! Happening right now.

woot woot! Next stop 1.85!

And those pdfs are expensive, but I wants em!

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >