Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access

A new Letter from the Chairman on the Roberts Space Industries website celebrates the news that Star Citizen's crowdfunding effort has now attracted more than one million contributors, or Citizens as they are called within their community (thanks Kxmode). There's a new Incoming Transmission on Vimeo from Gary Oldman to celebrate the news, word from Chairman Roberts on the latest funding milestone for the space exploration and combat game. This includes the announcement that they are opening up alpha access to more backers and are eliminating future obstacles to participation:
In honor of our newest Citizen (really, our thousands of new Citizens!) we would like to give something back to the entire community for all your incredible support. Starting today, we are eliminating ‘Alpha Access’ and the $5 module passes. Anyone who has pledged for a Star Citizen Package can now play today without worrying they won’t have access to some portion of the ‘Verse in the future. No Star Marine pass, no Alpha 2.0 pass… no additional payment needed for any module in the works, pre-release. Going forward, should we need to put out some sort of limited release it will be done through the PTU test server. All backers will have access to any live release, the moment it publishes.

In addition, I’d like to reward our earliest supporters who made it possible to get to this point. Everyone with an ‘alpha access’ package will be awarded 10,000 UEC; everyone who purchased an Arena Commander pass individually will be given 5,000 UEC (with the cap raising appropriately to allow this.) You also have my most sincere thanks: you were our vanguard, the battalion that fought the good fight from the beginning. Your impact on Star Citizen will never be forgotten, for without your early faith we couldn’t be where we are today. (Please note that this credit payout is going to take a big script, so it may take Turbulent a few days to work out the logistics!)
View : : :
167 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access
Oct 21, 2015, 20:03
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 21, 2015, 20:03
Oct 21, 2015, 20:03

jdreyer wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 14:25:
top 50 selling games had Hollywood talent. When they did have that talent in their game (3 CoD titles, Skyrim, and 1 GTA game in the top 50 did) that talent was not advertised as being in game, so it just as easily have been no name voice actors, as far as sales were concerned.

You're really clinging to that list but I'm not interested in it, it has nothing to do with what I said. I doubt you looked at every single advertising campaign in detail for those games to make that determination but that's neither here nor there. The industry uses Hollywood talent for VA and it has a lot more information on metrics for sales than you do with a random wikipedia link. Whether they are right or not is a different matter. It is disingenuous to say that the money could be better spent when we have no idea how project funds have been allocated and staffing levels are already very high.

It's disingenuous to say "it was a stretch goal." Here's the text, "Squadron 42 will feature celebrity voice-acting including at least one favorite from Wing Commander and 50 total missions." He could have just as easily fulfilled that goal with Mark Hamill and maybe some low level TV actors. Oldman, Anderson, Serkis, and Strong is going totally overboard.

I didn't say it was a stretch goal, I said it was promised to backers and something they desired which is true. I'll take Gary Oldman in my video game over some low level TV actor any day by the way. If it bothers you that much then get your pledge refunded, otherwise you're just going to have live with it.

Oct 21, 2015, 14:25
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 21, 2015, 14:25
Oct 21, 2015, 14:25

@ Shark, Coming.

Heh, shark coming. Yes, I am 12 years old.

Almost none of the top 50 selling games had Hollywood talent. When they did have that talent in their game (3 CoD titles, Skyrim, and 1 GTA game in the top 50 did) that talent was not advertised as being in game, so it just as easily have been no name voice actors, as far as sales were concerned. And GTA proves the point: R* dropped name actors for GTA 4 & 5. There's no ROI.

Here's the thing, name actors in games are a luxury expense irrelevant to both game quality and sales. Skyrim and the CoD series are long established series that have made hundreds of millions or billions of dollars. They can afford the expense, even if there's no ROI. They can do it for shits and giggles. And when they do use them, they don't even use the Hollywood talent in the advertising!

Wing Commander is probably the only game I can think of where name actors may have helped sales: It was the first big budget game to use name actors in FMV, and the actors were actively used in the marketing. So there was a novelty there, a gimmick.

It's disingenuous to say "it was a stretch goal." Here's the text, "Squadron 42 will feature celebrity voice-acting including at least one favorite from Wing Commander and 50 total missions." He could have just as easily fulfilled that goal with Mark Hamill and maybe some low level TV actors. Oldman, Anderson, Serkis, and Strong is going totally overboard.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

Oct 21, 2015, 07:43
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 21, 2015, 07:43
Oct 21, 2015, 07:43

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 23:30:
You can say that, but it doesn't make it true.

Nope. I said it because the industry believes its true. A game doesn't have to make all time lists to have its sales enhanced by marketing and celebrity names are marketing. You can argue about the effectiveness all you want but that's what it is and its perfectly understandable. This wouldn't even be a question if it was any other game either. This should be no surprise after the last Wing Commander game and was even promised in the Kickstarter, its something backers desired.

You can't just throw money at more programmers and artists while expecting better results, some of you obviously have no clue how game development works. More bodies is not always better, in fact the opposite is often the case as it becomes more difficult to manage people and hit milestones. Of all the things to get panties in a twist over, the VA budget seems like a pretty bizarre one.

If they run out of money one day then you can send Chris Roberts an I told you so with whatever link you randomly googled to support your "facts" on twitter.

Oct 21, 2015, 04:51
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 21, 2015, 04:51
Oct 21, 2015, 04:51

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 23:30:
You can say that, but it doesn't make it true. Look at the top 50 best selling games in history . The only games in that list that have name Hollywood actors doing voice work in them are some of the CoD series. However, none of them were featured in the advertising for those games until CoD: Advanced Warfare (Kevin Spacey), which didn't even make the top 50.
So the Call Of Duty games don't count? You also ignored Skyrim and GTA. It's not all about sales, as platform exclusives - like Halo - will naturally have lower sales but still use top-tier talent. You haven't proven that talent doesn't benefit games.

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 20:28:
Tell me which game you purchased because some famous Hollywood actor was in it.
The people here follow video games closely and aren't the sort of people who will be won over by Hollywood talent. However, I generally look more favourably on games that use talent well. Even Wing Commander, back in the day, benefited from a Hollywood cast.

I really don't understand why you're attacking the casting decision when it has been promised since early on. Backers clearly want it. You're not the target audience.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Oct 21, 2015, 01:04
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 21, 2015, 01:04
Oct 21, 2015, 01:04

Some of the GTA games had pretty good actors in them, It's not why I brought them, but having Ray Leota, Samual L Jackson, James Wood and Chris Penn in them was fun. (Vice City, San Andreas)

Although it's telling that Rockstar now does not do that. (can't think of any in GTA 4 or 5)

Oct 20, 2015, 23:30
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 20, 2015, 23:30
Oct 20, 2015, 23:30

Great White Shark wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 22:17:

Marquee names attract more attention which attracts more dollars, this is called marketing. It's not a guaranteed formula but it does work a lot of the time. Big names on a project is marketing. It is that simple and not at all difficult to understand. In fact if this was any other project people would be offering this explanation over and over again instead of just playing dumb and pretending to be shocked that a company might contract a celebrity to showcase their game.

You can say that, but it doesn't make it true. Look at the top 50 best selling games in history . The only games in that list that have name Hollywood actors doing voice work in them are some of the CoD series. However, none of them were featured in the advertising for those games until CoD: Advanced Warfare (Kevin Spacey), which didn't even make the top 50.

Interestingly, those CoD games used name actors to sell them: Jonah Hill and Sam Worthington for CoD: MW3, RDJr for BLOPS2, Megan Fox for Ghosts, etc. even though none of those actors appeared in the games they were hawking. But when you make $1B in revenue per game that cost $200M to make and market, you get to spend the money however the fuck you want.

It's pure hubris to crowdfund your game and spend millions on name actors. There's just no other reason for it.
"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

Oct 20, 2015, 22:17
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 20, 2015, 22:17
Oct 20, 2015, 22:17

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 20:28:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 17:38:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 18, 2015, 15:56:
No one bought Advanced Warfare because Kevin Spacey was in it. No one. And no one will buy this game because Gary Oldman is in it.
So the cast of a game is utterly meaningless and developers are just wasting their money on talent? Perhaps you should inform them of that.

Marquee names attract more attention which attracts more dollars, this is called marketing. It's not a guaranteed formula but it does work a lot of the time. Big names on a project is marketing. It is that simple and not at all difficult to understand. In fact if this was any other project people would be offering this explanation over and over again instead of just playing dumb and pretending to be shocked that a company might contract a celebrity to showcase their game.

Oct 20, 2015, 20:28
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 20, 2015, 20:28
Oct 20, 2015, 20:28

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 17:38:
No one bought Advanced Warfare because Kevin Spacey was in it. No one. And no one will buy this game because Gary Oldman is in it.
So the cast of a game is utterly meaningless and developers are just wasting their money on talent? Perhaps you should inform them of that.

Oct 20, 2015, 17:38
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 20, 2015, 17:38
Oct 20, 2015, 17:38

Kosumo wrote on Oct 18, 2015, 16:47:
No marketing? Really? Why then do they have a VP of marketing for the last 3-4 years.
No marketing in the traditional sense. There have been no TV ads, internet ads, high profile appearances on TV shows, etc. We'll be seeing the first magazine covers this coming month. As the game gets closer to release they'll have to invest in more traditional marketing.

Oct 18, 2015, 23:23
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 18, 2015, 23:23
Oct 18, 2015, 23:23

They'll buy it because Chris Roberts made Wing Commander.

That's pretty naive. If/when this game releases I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people who purchase it will have no idea who Chris Roberts is. They will see a cool looking space game on a TV commercial with some name brand actors and decide to check it out.

The general public (the other 10+million people they actually hope buy this game after release, they aren't trying to create a game for 1 million backers) don't give two shits about Wing Commander, Chris Roberts/CIG, the kickstarter campaign or any of the delays and online drama currently surrounding the game.

Oct 18, 2015, 16:47
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 18, 2015, 16:47
Oct 18, 2015, 16:47

The game hasn't been released yet and there has been no marketing campaign

No marketing? Really? Why then do they have a VP of marketing for the last 3-4 years.

What is the point of Hollywood actors when you have a straight to VHS director Wacko

Oct 18, 2015, 15:56
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 18, 2015, 15:56
Oct 18, 2015, 15:56

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 18, 2015, 08:53:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 14:04:
It's a fair point, but I seriously doubt that they will pull in another $10M on top of what they might have made otherwise. They made $90M without announcing Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill, and Gillian Anderson, and if they'd done this CitCon without announcing any of the talent, they still would have made a million backers on the strength of the game presentation. Although there are probably a few, I doubt most people are saying "Whoa, a CG Gary Oldman! Take my money!"
The game hasn't been released yet and there has been no marketing campaign, so one can't take pledges made immediately after CitizenCon as the total net benefit of the cast. A better cast increases the appeal of the game and makes it more marketable - that will be more important as the game nears release.

No one bought Advanced Warfare because Kevin Spacey was in it. No one. And no one will buy this game because Gary Oldman is in it. They'll buy it because Chris Roberts made Wing Commander.

Oct 18, 2015, 08:53
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 18, 2015, 08:53
Oct 18, 2015, 08:53

jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 14:04:
It's a fair point, but I seriously doubt that they will pull in another $10M on top of what they might have made otherwise. They made $90M without announcing Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill, and Gillian Anderson, and if they'd done this CitCon without announcing any of the talent, they still would have made a million backers on the strength of the game presentation. Although there are probably a few, I doubt most people are saying "Whoa, a CG Gary Oldman! Take my money!"
The game hasn't been released yet and there has been no marketing campaign, so one can't take pledges made immediately after CitizenCon as the total net benefit of the cast. A better cast increases the appeal of the game and makes it more marketable - that will be more important as the game nears release.

jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 14:10:
He was planning on maybe bringing Hamill or Davies back to do the Admiral bit, and hiring no-names to work scale for the rest of it, probably at a total cost of $500K. The original idea never included Oldman, Anderson, Serkis, etc. It's $500K vs. $10M or whatever. He could have kept his promise for $500K and used that $9.5M on the game, IMO. There was no need to be this extravagant.
We have no idea how much it cost. For all we know the actors in question were fans of the game and did it at a discount rate - speculation is speculation. It's fair to assume that several millions dollars was spent but that's not unusual for a AAA game. Every aspect of the game has expanded in scope since the $5m mark and it makes complete sense that the cast would too, especially when that is so important to marketing the game when it is eventually released.

Without knowing how much was spent and how much that benefited the game it's hard to come to any meaningful conclusion. The only thing we can say with confidence is that Hollywood grade acting was promised to backers and has been delivered. Chris Roberts has a history of using top talent for his games and I certainly expected that even before the stretch goal was announced. It's like a Hollywood film - sure you can pick lots of talented no-name actors but that's not going to have the same appeal or gravitas as a top-tier cast.

Oct 17, 2015, 01:40
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 17, 2015, 01:40
Oct 17, 2015, 01:40

Flatline wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 12:05:
That was one of the original kickstarter stretch goals. Back then the community was small enough that it probably wouldn't have taken much for people to say "dude just focus on the game" and had it have an impact.

Bitching about the name-recognizable talent actually tips over on my list of "probably not particularly fair" things to bitch about.

Now if it turns out he did spend 20 million on the cast, yeah sure get the tar & feathers. But we knew that hollywood actors were on the slate since like... Day 3.

The voice talent was a goal at the $5M mark:

Squadron 42 will feature celebrity voice-acting including at least one favorite from Wing Commander and 50 total missions.

He was planning on maybe bringing Hamill or Davies back to do the Admiral bit, and hiring no-names to work scale for the rest of it, probably at a total cost of $500K. The original idea never included Oldman, Anderson, Serkis, etc. It's $500K vs. $10M or whatever. He could have kept his promise for $500K and used that $9.5M on the game, IMO. There was no need to be this extravagant.

But you, like everyone else are just guessing at the numbers. Nobody here knows if they spent $1mil or $10mil. So arguing about it and making judgements based upon made up numbers seems rather pointless...just like the majority of the bitching about CiG.

Oct 16, 2015, 14:36
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 16, 2015, 14:36
Oct 16, 2015, 14:36

{PH}88fingers wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 14:23:
you assuming it's 10 million doesn't make it so.
As others have pointed out, doing this kind of work they don't get paid much and most of them were there short periods of time.

As I said, "or whatever." Certainly it was extra millions that were completely unnecessary. The person pointed out that some famous actors might do voice work for a song. Sure, for a few days or a week's work I could see it, but these are in-demand actors who are doing both voice work and full mo-cap on a four month shoot. There is no way they worked for scale. Oldman might be the only super star, but Anderson, Serkis, Hamill, and Strong are all involved with multiple projects. When you're in demand, you get to ask for more because time becomes the limiting factor. $5M or $8M or $10M, it's money that could have been put into the game. Which is actually what we're buying.

Oct 16, 2015, 14:23
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 16, 2015, 14:23
Oct 16, 2015, 14:23

That was one of the original kickstarter stretch goals. Back then the community was small enough that it probably wouldn't have taken much for people to say "dude just focus on the game" and had it have an impact.

Bitching about the name-recognizable talent actually tips over on my list of "probably not particularly fair" things to bitch about.

Now if it turns out he did spend 20 million on the cast, yeah sure get the tar & feathers. But we knew that hollywood actors were on the slate since like... Day 3.

Squadron 42 will feature celebrity voice-acting including at least one favorite from Wing Commander and 50 total missions.

you assuming it's 10 million doesn't make it so.
As others have pointed out, doing this kind of work they don't get paid much and most of them were there short periods of time.

Oct 16, 2015, 14:10
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 16, 2015, 14:10
Oct 16, 2015, 14:10

Oct 16, 2015, 14:04
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 16, 2015, 14:04
Oct 16, 2015, 14:04

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 22:15:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 16:25:
I would rather have had that extra $5M be spent on developing 20 or 30 extra systems for the persistent universe than on name actors. Or extending the story another 20 or 30 missions. Or a bunch of extra ships and weapons. Or some extra gameplay mechanics. It's a GAME after all, not a movie.
The thing is the higher calibre cast will probably pay for itself in extra exposure for the game, so it's not a simply equation as you claim. If spending an extra $5m on talent brings in an extra $10m from backers then it's a sensible investment. More importantly, the game promised A-list actors as an early stretch goal.

Oct 16, 2015, 12:05
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 16, 2015, 12:05
Oct 16, 2015, 12:05

jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 16:25:
AmericanWulf wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 08:24:
Quick question for those who think they spent too much on MoCap and actors if say they spent 10 million (a gross estimate I have nothing to base on) and should have only spent say 5 million on. What does another 5 million for a better feature of the game (better actors) do to hurt the over all project if by what I read from so called none believers that this game cant be made anyways? If say 5 mill more wouldn't be able to help finish the game because they need way more funds than what they have, what does it matter if they have better actors if that back of the box tick brings in more players/funds? What else could in your opinion could/should they have spent said 5 million?

I would rather have had that extra $5M be spent on developing 20 or 30 extra systems for the persistent universe than on name actors. Or extending the story another 20 or 30 missions. Or a bunch of extra ships and weapons. Or some extra gameplay mechanics. It's a GAME after all, not a movie.

Oct 16, 2015, 00:12
Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 16, 2015, 00:12
Oct 16, 2015, 00:12

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 22:15:
PS - CIG has uploaded an enhanced version of the CitizenCon presentation at 60fps, which I highly recommend people check out. I tried watching the previous version from the stream but that was very poor quality.

Yes, far better image quality on top of the extra fps. Thanks!
167 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older