Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

I had a goofy computer experience recently, which fits with my whole Windows 7 installation on this computer. These go back to building it, and having to use a registry hack to do a clean install with an upgrade edition of the OS, something that used to be supported. That took care of things until last week, when I decided to take advantage of falling RAM prices to double my system from 16 to 32GB. This is when I realized that Window 7 Home Premium only supports 16GB of RAM. Stubbornly determined to stick with Win7 (because reasons) I proceeded to explore the options of upgrading to Win7 pro, something Microsoft has no interest in since moving on to the new OS. Windows Anytime upgrades are no longer available (using MS's function for this pulls up a visual basic error), and regular disc upgrades are basically impossible to find. As I said, my eventual solution was goofy, which was to enter an invalid Windows Anytime Upgrade key which upgraded the machine, but would not authenticate, and then change the product key to a valid one from a new copy of Win7 Pro that I picked up, which authenticated just fine. Everything is working now, but that was certainly more of an adventure than I signed on for with my simple RAM upgrade.

Link RAM: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Mr. Iron Steel.
Cursed Islands.
Link: The Doomed Effort to Make Videos Go Vinyl.
Story: Goldblum, Cranston Join Wes Anderson's Next.
Science: NASA chief says ban on Chinese partnerships is temporary. Thanks Slashdot.
These Mysterious Blazing-Fast Ripples Racing Around a Star Defy Explanation.
Army’s first shoulder-fired “smart weapon” close to final test.
Images: Public Blue Screens of Death Remind Us That Life is a Farce.
Media: No One In New York Recognizes Chris Pratt. Thanks nin.
Awesome GoPro Video of Massive US Paratroopers Drop Over White Desert. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Amazing Bowling Ball Trick Shot.
View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 10:16  PHJF 

What do you need 32GB of RAM for?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 10:15  RedEye9 

nin wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 09:48:
InBlack wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 09:38:
I'm sure a lot of people will show up in the thread though, to show you the error of your ways Blue. They will list reasons.

I'm finally going to have to make the jump to 10. I've spent, across a few months, 3-5 hours trying to get my win7 desktop (about 5-6 years) to recognize a 3TB drive, and it just doesn't work. Something to do with Intel RST drivers, but I've tried every install under the sun, and nothing works. At one point, I used a lixux based tool (I think it was, at home, and I'm at work now) to format it correctly as a single 3tb NTFS partition, and while windows saw/used it for ahwile, once it hit 1.9 tb or so, it basically shit the entire volume and all the data was lost (thankfully most of it was on dropbox).

So...

NIN, Corrupting a hdd, that's not W7's forte, are you 89% positive that the hdd is 99.5% good.

edit, nevermind, I just looked up the 2.19TB limition of 32-bit LBAs.
To overcome the 2.19TB limition of the 32-bit LBAs, a new partition type was created called GPT (GUID Partition Table) supports 64-bit LBAs. Using 64-bit LBAs, the largest 512-byte sector drive that can be addressed is 9.4ZB (Zettabytes - or 2^70 bytes).

Depending on the age of the computer and the functionality contained in the version of the BIOS that is installed, it may are may not support booting from a partition that is larger then 2.19TB in size. Although, that doesn't mean that you can't create secondary partition that are larger then 2.19TB as long as the hardware (e.g. drive controller and software drivers) and version of OS support it.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2015, 10:20.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 10:05  Cutter 

Yay new Wes Anderson project!

Doesn't matter NASA, once the TPP kicks in we'll all be too poor to care.

"Listen, I’m not the nicest guy in the Universe because I’m the smartest. And being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets." - Rick Sanchez

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 10:02 WoodroweBones19

I would not be hesitant to move to Windows 10. It is by far the best Windows OS ever released. It seems most people are expecting a Windows 8 type experience but its far from it. It takes the best parts of 7 and 8 (yes there were some good parts about 8 but Metro was not one of them) and then improves on it even further  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 10:01 InBlack

nin wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 09:48:
I'm sure a lot of people will show up in the thread though, to show you the error of your ways Blue. They will list reasons.

I'm finally going to have to make the jump to 10. I've spent, across a few months, 3-5 hours trying to get my win7 desktop (about 5-6 years) to recognize a 3TB drive, and it just doesn't work. Something to do with Intel RST drivers, but I've tried every install under the sun, and nothing works. At one point, I used a lixux based tool (I think it was, at home, and I'm at work now) to format it correctly as a single 3tb NTFS partition, and while windows saw/used it for ahwile, once it hit 1.9 tb or so, it basically shit the entire volume and all the data was lost (thankfully most of it was on dropbox).

So...

Crapola, that sucks dude. Well good luck with Win10. Im not sure I could make the switch at this point, apparently people are having issues with it in DCS, which is something that I could not tolerate.

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 09:48  nin 

So...

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 09:45  RedEye9 

Blue, sounds like you held the magic windows activation wand just right.
Reason number 1 to stick with Windows 7, it's good enough.
I have purchased a lot of software from softwaresupplygroup.com
Windows came with a COA but you would inevitably have to do phone activation. grey market maybe?

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 09:38 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 09:33  Mr. Tact 

You aren't the only one, Blue. I'm still on Win7 and don't plan on updating to another OS anytime soon. As far as I'm concerned, I've seen no reason to upgrade, only reasons not to.  

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >