Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Out of the Blue

I had a goofy computer experience recently, which fits with my whole Windows 7 installation on this computer. These go back to building it, and having to use a registry hack to do a clean install with an upgrade edition of the OS, something that used to be supported. That took care of things until last week, when I decided to take advantage of falling RAM prices to double my system from 16 to 32GB. This is when I realized that Window 7 Home Premium only supports 16GB of RAM. Stubbornly determined to stick with Win7 (because reasons) I proceeded to explore the options of upgrading to Win7 pro, something Microsoft has no interest in since moving on to the new OS. Windows Anytime upgrades are no longer available (using MS's function for this pulls up a visual basic error), and regular disc upgrades are basically impossible to find. As I said, my eventual solution was goofy, which was to enter an invalid Windows Anytime Upgrade key which upgraded the machine, but would not authenticate, and then change the product key to a valid one from a new copy of Win7 Pro that I picked up, which authenticated just fine. Everything is working now, but that was certainly more of an adventure than I signed on for with my simple RAM upgrade.

Link RAM: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Mr. Iron Steel.
Cursed Islands.
Link: The Doomed Effort to Make Videos Go Vinyl.
Story: Goldblum, Cranston Join Wes Anderson's Next.
Science: NASA chief says ban on Chinese partnerships is temporary. Thanks Slashdot.
These Mysterious Blazing-Fast Ripples Racing Around a Star Defy Explanation.
Army’s first shoulder-fired “smart weapon” close to final test.
Images: Public Blue Screens of Death Remind Us That Life is a Farce.
Media: No One In New York Recognizes Chris Pratt. Thanks nin.
Awesome GoPro Video of Massive US Paratroopers Drop Over White Desert. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Amazing Bowling Ball Trick Shot.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2015, 12:50 Creston

nin wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 08:41:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 04:40:
Let us know if you see Slater or Travolta!

*Chuckles to self. Looks up BA and gets serious*

Dude, you might want to reconsider that move...

I actually grew up there, decades ago. That's (the crime) more of a blip than the average day. The surrounding cities have gotten so big that everything is just a suburb of Tulsa.

Yeah, BA is fine. There's a few crappy parts, but those are everywhere. I live just outside of Owasso, and it's crazy how fast that's growing. 12 years ago it was this tiny little podunk town, and now it's nearing like 60K people.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2015, 12:49 Creston

DangerDog wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 05:58:
Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 10:27:
Out of curiosity, which registry hack do you use to do a clean install with an upgrade version of 7? I still have an upgrade version of 7 lying around, wouldn't mind reinstalling it on an old box.

Thanks

I used these instructions when I did mine

[url=http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512[/url]

I've had good luck with getting activation keys from here

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

Thanks

47. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2015, 08:41 nin

jdreyer wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 04:40:

I actually grew up there, decades ago. That's (the crime) more of a blip than the average day. The surrounding cities have gotten so big that everything is just a suburb of Tulsa.

46. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2015, 05:58 DangerDog

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 10:27:
Out of curiosity, which registry hack do you use to do a clean install with an upgrade version of 7? I still have an upgrade version of 7 lying around, wouldn't mind reinstalling it on an old box.

Thanks

I used these instructions when I did mine

[url=http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512[/url]

I've had good luck with getting activation keys from here

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

45. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2015, 04:40 jdreyer

nin wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 20:18:
Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 19:36:
nin wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 14:01:
I'd love to replace it, and plan to next year, but right now I'm in the middle of moving, and money is very tight.

NO! DON'T LEAVE TULSA!!!

Just out to BA.

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

44. EverQuest Next Oct 14, 2015, 03:31 Kxmode

Sent in another refund request tonight:

Hello Daybreak.

I bought the EverQuest Next Landmark Trailblazer Pack on December 7, 2013.

I made this purchase with the explicit understanding that EverQuest Next was about a year, possibly 2 years away, from release and Landmark would simply be an optional tool players could use to populate the main game with assets. However, after 676 days (1 year, 10 months, 7 days) there is no EverQuest Next, not even an alpha.

As I see it today I don't believe EverQuest Next is in production. My belief is that Landmark is going to be the final game as a Minecraft styled game based in the EverQuest world. This is not what I bought Landmark for. To be honest I never had a desire to be fully involved in the Landmark project. I thought by buying the Trailblazer Pack I could chip in $100 towards the development of EQ Next; the game I really want to play.

Since I feel the scope of the project has changed could you please refund my purchase?

P.S. If you look at my play time you'd see that I haven't logged many hours.

Really unfortunate it got to this. EQ Next is basically dead.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

43. Re: No Windows 10 for me Oct 14, 2015, 02:34 InBlack

1 min from cold boot is not insanely fast. What are you running it on a DX486?  

I have a nifty blue line!

42. Re: No Windows 10 for me Oct 13, 2015, 21:02 mellis

Windows 10 is pretty awesome. Rock solid, few minor quirks with the start menu (can use Start10 from Stardock if you want though) and if you push the boat out and install on an SSD it's insanely fast. Almost instant on (well ~1 min) from cold boot.

Nice stuff is that the built in drivers (especially multi-media ones like Bluetooth) are way better than Windows 7. Pretty slick experience - recommend a clean install though.

41. Re: No Windows 10 for me Oct 13, 2015, 20:52 fds

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 18:52:
Enahs wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 18:19 :
Don't like Edge? Do not use it. You still have FireFox and Chrome.You are not really using IE previous versions of Windows, are you?
Actually, IE is what i used. I have to be familiar with it in my job.

I assume you guys then know that IE 11 is still very much included with Windows 10, just mildy hidden. The easiest built-in way to access it is to pick “Open in Internet Explorer” from the … menu in Edge, then you can Pin IE to the taskbar if you'd like or do whatever you want with it.

As I said, I doubt anyone who actually tried Windows 10 doesn't know this, just posting it so others don't get mislead.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 20:18 nin

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 19:36:
I'd love to replace it, and plan to next year, but right now I'm in the middle of moving, and money is very tight.

NO! DON'T LEAVE TULSA!!!

Just out to BA.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 19:37 Creston

Verno wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 13:54:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 13:48:
I may upgrade to Win 10 anyway. Beyond the whole tracking/privacy debacle, is there any reason not to?

The privacy stuff was really overblown anyway but that aside there's no real reason to hold off on an upgrade. The changes to licensing are less favorable to consumers but only if your hardware hash changes a lot and even then you can usually just do the phone activation thing. Its pretty much boring old Windows as usual with under the hood improvements. Most of the kinks are worked out and device compatibility is excellent. Just run the setup wizard and it will check your software/hardware first to make sure.

Does it still force every single Nvidia driver upgrade down your throat, whether you want it to or not?

38. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 19:36 Creston

NO! DON'T LEAVE TULSA!!!

37. Re: No Windows 10 for me Oct 13, 2015, 18:52 RedEye9

Enahs wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 18:19 :
Don't like Edge? Do not use it. You still have FireFox and Chrome.You are not really using IE previous versions of Windows, are you?
Actually, IE is what i used. I have to be familiar with it in my job. I also use Chrome, Vivadi, SRIron, Epic Privacy Browser, Firefox etc...
Continuously making upgrades and improvements....is a complaint?
Windows 7 has all the features I use.
If they are upgrading and improving W10 it's only because they released it in beta.
You rent solitaire? Do not 'buy' the new solitaire then! The old solitaire can still be transferred over and run just fine, if you really want it....
I did copy solitaire, freecell, minesweeper, pinball and spider off of my XP vm, you also need cards.dll if i remember correctly. They don't scale very well.
I was using that game as an example of things to come.
How silly of me.

I am not craving personalized assistance.
If your content with the lack of privacy, that's ok.

Typed up on an IBM Selectric II using a time machine.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

36. Re: No Windows 10 for me Oct 13, 2015, 18:19 Enahs

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 17:56:
When I make a blanket statement about Windows 10 being beta or if W10 has any advantages over W7 I should probably preface it with the following; I build, fix and troubleshoot pc's for a living.

In my book there are many reasons not to downgrade my pc's to Windows 10:
Here are just a few; Edge Browser, Windows as a service ie. beta ( new builds continually coming down the pipeline ) , advertisments are coming to your start menu, you rent solitaire, unknown privacy issues and I have lost count on the number of W8/W10 systems I have fixed because the fastboot hybrid hibernation file corrupted....
There are many more reasons not to upgrade, if you want to expend a little effort and search for them.
Here's a link to get started http://www.infoworld.com/author/Woody-Leonhard/

For the majority of people including my customers, W7 is fine.
The subsystems and kernals of W7 are plain just good enough for me.

I got to chime in here and be honest, your reasons for not liking it are pretty silly in my opinion.

Don't like Edge? Do not use it. You still have FireFox and Chrome. You are not really using IE previous versions of Windows, are you?
You rent solitaire? Do not 'buy' the new solitaire then! The old solitaire can still be transferred over and run just fine, if you really want it....
Continuously making upgrades and improvements....is a complaint? Yeah, if things start coming that screws stuff up, complain. Please! But, complaining that instead of waiting 2 years to fix something, they are fixing things asap. Wha?
As people have previously said, the privacy issues are over blown. Yes, maybe originally they were hard to turn off, but that has been improved. But if you want all the crazy personalized assistance stuff everybody is craving, well, the system has to learn things about you. You can just turn it all off and not get the benefits.

It has not been perfect, it has had plenty of problems. But, there is not a single operating system on any computer that has not had problems. This was quite smooth, given Microsofts history.

Typed up on a non Windows 10 system, because I am not blindly following Microsoft or rebelling against Microsoft either.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

35. No Windows 10 for me Oct 13, 2015, 17:56 RedEye9

When I make a blanket statement about Windows 10 being beta or if W10 has any advantages over W7 I should probably preface it with the following; I build, fix and troubleshoot pc's for a living.

In my book there are many reasons not to downgrade my pc's to Windows 10:
Here are just a few; Edge Browser, Windows as a service ie. beta ( new builds continually coming down the pipeline ) , advertisments are coming to your start menu, you rent solitaire, unknown privacy issues and I have lost count on the number of W8/W10 systems I have fixed because the fastboot hybrid hibernation file corrupted....
There are many more reasons not to upgrade, if you want to expend a little effort and search for them.
Here's a link to get started http://www.infoworld.com/author/Woody-Leonhard/

For the majority of people including my customers, W7 is fine.
The subsystems and kernals of W7 are plain just good enough for me.

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

34. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 14:59 fds

I'm pleased with Windows 10, but then I'm so crazy I was also fairly pleased with Windows 8.x. Did I mention I used Vista for years before that, and completely skipped over Windows 7?

The only thing I use Windows for is to play video games, and Steam, Origin, UPlay, Battle.net and like work just as well. I enjoy that the system is speedier and that there's that window management thingie that finally works and looks a lot like MIssion Control on a Mac.

The best part is probably that it is more capable of basic tasks built-in, without requiring a bazillion third-party little utilities. The one most useful to me is the included Microsoft Print to PDF option, so I can archive Steam receipts and the like easily.
The new Edge browser also doubles as a built-in, windowed PDF viewer finally. (Windows 8.x had a built-in PDF viewer, but it was full-screen Metro only.)
Then it can play even MKV format video files built-in, it even supports the upcoming h265 codec out of the box.
If I remember correctly Windows 7 couldn't even mount .iso disk images built-in, could it? That was new in Windows 8 and another really basic thing to have, like when XP added zipping and unzipping finally.

So more and more you can just get along with a base system and don't have to juggle hundreds of third-party crap, all with different licensing, updating, system requirements, limitations.

I'm also looking forward to taking advantage of Direct3D 12 and the built-in support for the forthcoming Xbox One wireless controller for Windows.

What was no fun at all was the whole upgrade process. It took 5 times for me as well before I got it successfully installed. What fixed it was installing a beta BIOS update for my motherboard, one which was not linked to in any way from the official support pages, and was dated well before Windows 10 was even conceived, but still newer than the latest official "stable" BIOS.
It did simply restore and reboot to my previous system on every failed try (it would proceed until 75%-99% complete on installation), but maddeningly had to redownload the whole thing again and again.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 14:45 Burrito of Peace

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 13:03:
So what is the advantage again to upgrade good enough W7 to a beta W10. Because all I come up with is "free" and that ain't reason enough. My grandma always said if there are no strings attached, you can be damn sure there's chains.

Given the state of hardware today, if you're running the latest generation of hardware or the one preceding it, Win 7 isn't "good enough" as it doesn't contain the necessary subsystems and kernel improvements to take full and maximum advantage of them.

However, there have been several articles that do a side by side comparison if you want to expend a little effort and search for them.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 14:01 nin

jdreyer wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 13:48:
That's strange, I've had a 3TB drive in my W7 system for a couple years now without issue.

It's a i7 960, but I've had it a long time now. Long enough that I can't even find my order number on the web site...

31. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 14:01 jdreyer

Army’s first shoulder-fired “smart weapon” close to final test.

Man, they've been working on this thing for a decade.

How soon before this finds its way into CoD or Battlefield?

Also, what happens when the batteries die?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2015, 14:00 jdreyer

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 13:03:
So what is the advantage again to upgrade good enough W7 to a beta W10.

Is this supposed to be snark? W10 has been out for months, and from all accounts is full featured and stable?

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo