Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy birthday to Blue's News, as it was on this date 19 years ago that this site moved to its own domain. That makes today the start of our 20th year(!). I know that there are more than a few of you who have been visiting here for a majority of that time, and it's hard to find words to express my gratitude for all the support over the years, but I do want to thank you all very much.

Birthday Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Bloodungeon.
Driving Force 2.
Infinity Inc.
Story: The Korean War Saved the World From Nuclear Annihilation. Thanks JDreyer.
Science: Scientists discover why elephants rarely get cancer. Thanks JDreyer.
Media: Inside a Dog Rehab Center. Thanks nin.
4 Français survivrent à l'effondrement d'un pont en Nouvelle-Zélande.
World's Fastest Butcher. Where chicken fingers come from.

View
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

51. 19? Oct 11, 2015, 15:37 Ant

Wow. Passed the legal age too. I wonder how long BN will last. Forever, I hope!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

50. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2015, 19:23 Dacron

Kosumo wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 19:03:

Do you know of any of the other sites that where around when you started that are still going?

I use to visit Shack News around the same time I found bluesnews (member for 10, extra 5 or so lurking/reading) as it was another gaming site with similar goals as this one, was started for Quake. Their layout back then was far more confusing and tough to digest, so I stayed checking in at bluesnews with the odd visit to shacknews in case I missed anything.

I know you asked blue, but that is the closest to a "twin" site I've seen of bluesnews. Opened around the same time, for the same purpose too.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

49. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2015, 10:27 RedEye9

Chris131551 wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 18:52:
snip

Aw look, Chrissy's first post and she's already a douche.

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/

48. Re: Congratulations Oct 10, 2015, 10:19 Mr. Tact

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 10:15:
PLEASE make some t-shirts, coffee mugs (20 oz'ers) and mouse pads. Use the proceeds for Misses Blue.
With large profit margins.. $10 profit per T-shirt...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

47. Congratulations Oct 10, 2015, 10:15 RedEye9

I got caught up in the SC splosion vidja and totally missed this celebration.
HAPPY FRICKEN B-Day BLUESNEWS
Thank you Blue for providing a home to smart gamers across the intarweb.
This site is a true historical gaming resource. CONGRATULATIONS.

PLEASE make some t-shirts, coffee mugs (20 oz'ers) and mouse pads. Use the proceeds for Misses Blue. And put me down for 1 of each.

On the fastest butcher, how other cultures mangle chicken used to disturb me until I realized I was eating a chicken nugget. blech

Nullity's Law
There's an easy and fool-proof way to tell if anything related conservative/right-wing/Republican politics is true or not. If anyone calls it "fake news", you can be sure it's the solid truth.
https://www.needtoimpeach.com/

46. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2015, 10:14 Burrito of Peace

Thank you, indeed, Blue for Blue's News. I've been coming to this site for almost the entirety of that 20 years, although I didn't register as a user until several years later. Even though I don't play nearly the amount that I used to, I appreciate all the news and information you aggregate.  

45. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2015, 02:46 jdreyer

[VG]Reagle wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 22:28:
Good Job Blue! I have been coming here since the 1990's. Thanks for unbanning my ass after I shot my mouth off about how much Star Citizen sucks ass. Not that I was wrong about it since it really does blow.

Oh Chris131551 is a DICK.

Pretty sure it was less what you did and more how you did it. You were pretty much off the rails.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2015, 01:16 Fantaz

Happy day! I and the rest of the industry loves what you do

I have been trying to visit this site everyday since 1997

43. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2015, 00:51 Kxmode

[VG]Reagle wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 22:28:
shot my mouth off about how much Star Citizen sucks ass. Not that I was wrong about it since it really does blow.

I don't know if I would go that far. It's a far cry from sucking ass but it's also a far cry from completion. I don't think it'll be done next year despite Chris' claims to the contrary.

Sorry to derail the discussion into Star Citizen for moment. Okay back on topic.

20th anniversary! Party

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

42. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2015, 00:49 ehaykal

Still one my favorite sites to visit on a daily basis since I discovered it in 2001.

Happy Birthday Blue!

41. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2015, 22:28 [VG]Reagle

Good Job Blue! I have been coming here since the 1990's. Thanks for unbanning my ass after I shot my mouth off about how much Star Citizen sucks ass. Not that I was wrong about it since it really does blow.

Oh Chris131551 is a DICK.

DON'T LIKE MY COMMENTS?!? THEN STOP RELEASING GARBAGE.

40. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2015, 22:16 Kxmode

Congrats Blue! Smash

I would like to apologize for any headaches I've caused over my 12 years of shenanigans here.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

39. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2015, 21:31 jdreyer

What's amazing is you've lasted this long essentially doing nothing more than linking to the work performed by others. Not trying to knock you because you seem like a nice guy, but simply copying and pasting/linking to other's work leading in with "Here's word:" -something to be that proud of?

This is obviously something no one wants, and Blue is roundly despised for his laziness in not producing original content like flying out to Santa Monica to uncover the room full on hookers and blow in the CIG offices. And all those long vacations and days off he takes, what a sloth. And you know he's raking it in with all of those unskippable full screen ads he runs every time you open a new page. Although, I'm not sure why Blue is even still in business since no one would even come here to view them.

The only thing that flat-earthers have to fear is sphere itself.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2015, 21:13 Dan =0)

Congrats, Blue!

One more year and this site will be old enough to drink (in the US, anyway)!

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2015, 20:54 Mr. Tact

Do us all a favor, keep up your frequency and make your next post about 19 years from now..

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2015, 20:19 BobBob

What's amazing is you've lasted this long essentially doing nothing more than linking to the work performed by others. Not trying to knock you because you seem like a nice guy, but simply copying and pasting/linking to other's work leading in with "Here's word:" -something to be that proud of?

If there were a thumbs down or dislike button here...

Logical Response:

Do you realize there is another site that does something similar (and interestingly enough, started around the same time period) and is considered one of the most popular go-to-places for news on the Internet? The conglomeration of news links is extremely useful. In addition to being an extremely useful resource, Blue's News allows for comments and discussion, and has basically built an entire gaming community.

Emotional Reponse:

What do you expect gamers to do -- go to every single possible gaming / company / forum / industry website to find new information?!? That'd be time consuming as hell!

Anyhow ...

Don't like my post? Submit a complaint

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2015, 20:07 PhysicalEd

Happy Birthday BluesNews!

Been coming here since before, when if I recall it was QuakeNews?

Like others have said, the one site I make sure to visit every day. If I miss a day, I go back to the archives to catch up

34. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2015, 19:16 Caladell

Happy Birthday!
I haven't been coming here for the full duration, but probably pretty darn near it.
You thank us, but we also thank you

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2015, 19:03 Kosumo

Thank you so much Blue, like many of the above comments, this IS the internet to me.

I hope you have at lest 20 more years of Bluesnews love in you.

Do you know of any of the other sites that where around when you started that are still going?

Total grats.

party time
Beatnik Highfive Drinkers Cheers Pimp Friends Tickling Ahoy Manhug Worship

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2015, 18:52 Chris131551

51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo