Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

No SC Retraction from The Escapist

Cloud Imperium Games demanded a retraction from The Escapist after the site recently posted an article attributing negative quotes about the Star Citizen project to current and former CIG employees. Yesterday's deadline for the retraction has come and gone, and instead of backtracking, the site has posted a defiant update to the article in question, saying:
Update: The Escapist, notwithstanding Cloud Imperium Games' notice and posting, stands by its coverage of Star Citizen and intends to continue to investigate the developing story. Since publishing our original stories, we have been contacted by, and are currently interviewing, additional sources corroborating a variety of the reported allegations. Additionally, if Mr. Roberts' offer for The Escapist to "meet the developers making the game and see how we're building one of the most ambitious PC games first hand" remains open, we take the opportunity to accept such invitation so as to hopefully provide the public with sufficient information and opportunity to vet such sources' allegations and claims for themselves. We have also communicated the foregoing directly to Cloud Imperium Games.
View
114 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

114. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 18:43 Megalodon

Kxmode wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 11:52:

"evidence"

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

113. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 16:15 RedEye9

Tumbler wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 15:08:
dsmart wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 12:46:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 04:01:
Since GamesCom the funding stats have shown the bulk of infusion money is coming from existing backers, not new backer. Those letters are basically designed to deflect backer's attention away from the controversy towards being CitizenCon'ed (like that?). I've seen blindness before but this kind of blindness is magnitudes greater.

That's nuthin...http://imgur.com/FzdfbYQ

Star Citizen Funding and Backers going up

There have been a lot of new backers over the past few months. When you're dealing with this many people, 990k as of today, it's foolish to look at a few comments to judge the group as a whole.

Assuming you believe that 90 million dollar number then I suppose you believe the 990k star citizens number as well which has gone up by approx 66k since June.

Sorry to spoil your fun. You guys just seem to be really excited about something that may never happen.

CIG likely does face a dilema, in order to finish the game how they'd like they do need to continue getting funding and people to sign on. Derek may be right that they can't do everything they want with the funds they have right now.

But that doesn't seem to change the fact that they have a growing audience, they're funding continues to climb and if this persists they likely will have everything they need to finish the game.

Maybe some people figured they'd never hit this point and now it looks like nothing can stop them, they're going to get to their goal and be able to make the game they want and that isn't fair because people didn't know the project was at risk if they didn't hit that amazing dollar amount.

Maybe this is the last ditch effort of someone to try and sabotage the process in hopes that it will fail and then he can say "SEE I TOLD YOU!!!"

Or maybe the project will just roll over his sorry ass and still hit the 150 million funding mark, pull in millions of new fans and be able to continue building and adding onto the game in the future.

But Derek Smart could be right...anything is possible I suppose.

I don't think your allowed to post facts in this forum and hereby request an immediate take-down of this information or me and my team of liars (lawyers?) will be forced to ...

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2015, 16:48.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

112. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 15:49 Kxmode

Tumbler wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 15:08:
Since GamesCom the funding stats have shown the bulk of infusion money is coming from existing backers, not new backer. Those letters are basically designed to deflect backer's attention away from the controversy towards being CitizenCon'ed (like that?). I've seen blindness before but this kind of blindness is magnitudes greater.

There have been a lot of new backers over the past few months. When you're dealing with this many people, 990k as of today, it's foolish to look at a few comments to judge the group as a whole.

Assuming you believe that 90 million dollar number then I suppose you believe the 990k star citizens number as well which has gone up by approx 66k since June.

Sorry to spoil your fun. You guys just seem to be really excited about something that may never happen.

61-Day Stats, in Millions Between August 7th - October 7th

$85,870,276 - $90,399,876 = 4,529,600 million [2015] (conclusion: worst period, of the three)
$49,239,540 - $56,260,448 = 7,020,908 million [2014]
$15,293,877 - $20,953,659 = 5,659,782 million [2013]

Number of Backers Between August 7th - October 10th

937,923 - 990,055 = +52,132 increase [2015]* (conclusion: second best increase, of the three)
516,378 - 612,455 = +96,077 increase [2014]
226,785 - 278,545 = +51,700 increase [2013] (2013-08-19 - 2013-10-19)

* 2015-08-07: Gamescom Event 2015 - Special limited Ships sale, no increase in Citizens - mainly existing Citizens taking the opportunity
* 2015-08-10: 2000 new Citizens since GamesCom
* 2015-08-13: 16481 new citizens since GamesCom
* 2015-08-18: 25k new citizens since GamesCom

(source)
Well that's good.

I don't want CIG to collapse. I'd rather they get Star Citizen released. However, I'm keen to see accountability and transparency especially in light of recent allegations (like embezzlement). I think Backers should know if their money is going to non-company stuff.

Thanks for sharing the link Tumbler.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

111. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 15:47 Tumbler

Vio wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 15:20:
So I guess this is the perfect time to get a update: can you warp between systems yet?

NOPE!

But if you're looking for something to help you pass the time a new game in the same genre has come up recently.

Angels Fall First

Elite: Horizons

Line of Defense

Check back monday on that warping between planets question. The answer could change. Maybe.

Edit: Shit, Angels fall is only $13.49!? Why not. Bought. (3.3 gb is anyone is curious)

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2015, 15:55.

110. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 15:42 Flatline

Vio wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 15:20:
So I guess this is the perfect time to get a update: can you warp between systems yet?

As long as your target and origin system are the same absolutely.

109. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 15:20 Vio

108. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 15:08 Tumbler

CIG likely does face a dilema, in order to finish the game how they'd like they do need to continue getting funding and people to sign on. Derek may be right that they can't do everything they want with the funds they have right now.

But that doesn't seem to change the fact that they have a growing audience, they're funding continues to climb and if this persists they likely will have everything they need to finish the game.

Maybe some people figured they'd never hit this point and now it looks like nothing can stop them, they're going to get to their goal and be able to make the game they want and that isn't fair because people didn't know the project was at risk if they didn't hit that amazing dollar amount.

Maybe this is the last ditch effort of someone to try and sabotage the process in hopes that it will fail and then he can say "SEE I TOLD YOU!!!"

Or maybe the project will just roll over his sorry ass and still hit the 150 million funding mark, pull in millions of new fans and be able to continue building and adding onto the game in the future.

But Derek Smart could be right...anything is possible I suppose.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2015, 15:15.

107. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 13:57 Kxmode

dsmart wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 12:44:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 02:55:

It's as Keith Cooper wrote in his September 14th letter to Ortwin.

The letter date is Oct 2nd. I think Keith's assistant didn't update the date macro

Thanks for clarifying. I wrote down the date that appears on the letter.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

106. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 12:46  dsmart 

I'm starting to understand who is the real recipients of Chris and Ortwin's letters are. It's not The Escaptist. It's totally obvious because Ortwin knows he's doesn't have a legal case worth shit. No. These letters are designed specifically for the Backers. Read people's comments. A random one...

"This was long coming and I bow to Chris for such a epic reply. We have been waiting for an official answer for some time and the answer was just out of this world... So im off to get an Endeavor"

Crazy

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

105. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 12:44  dsmart 

Kxmode wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 02:55:

It's as Keith Cooper wrote in his September 14th letter to Ortwin.

The letter date is Oct 2nd. I think Keith's assistant didn't update the date macro

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

104. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 12:36  dsmart 

jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 01:48:
@ Derek,

Did you pledge under KS, or directly on the RSI website? As far as how it applies to keeping promises, does it matter? Since they involuntarily refunded you, does that mean you have lost your rights or not (given that it was involuntary)?

KS, but it doesn't matter since I had to create an RSI a/c to claim my pledge. Which is why when they canceled me, they did it in both places: KS and RSI

103. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 12:28 RedEye9

Kxmode wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 11:52:
Great White Shark wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 07:41:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 04:45:
@ KXModeYeah, like sports team fanboys, these guys tie their identities to this project and are unable to separate themselves from the project.

This is kind of ironic considering you have people like kxmode whose entire identity is tied to this projects demise. They are so invested in their position that they can't listen to reason and even lie to discredit it. kxmode has been lying for weeks, saying he has evidence of wrongdoing over several threads and yet can never provide it due to mysterious time constraints. Championing derek smart blog posts and posting in circles, wasting countless hours waging some weird personal crusade against chris roberts.

So yeah I have no doubt there are some crazy fanboys behind Star Citizen, some of the backers are scary and waste far too much money on this shit. But remember there are also some absolute nutjobs like derek smart and kxmode who don't care about integrity and just want to see it fail.

Most of the old timers mention narcissist and Derek Smart in the same breath. If you describe a person with one word, that is probably the best match.

Some other words that come to mind but miss the mark include megalomaniac, psychopath and sociopath. Look them up and you will see the similarities.

I have learned from the old timers and will not make the same mistake twice.

Now @Kxmode on the other hand, still has some learning to do.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

102. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 11:52 Kxmode

Great White Shark wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 07:41:
@ KXModeYeah, like sports team fanboys, these guys tie their identities to this project and are unable to separate themselves from the project.

This is kind of ironic considering you have people like kxmode whose entire identity is tied to this projects demise. They are so invested in their position that they can't listen to reason and even lie to discredit it. kxmode has been lying for weeks, saying he has evidence of wrongdoing over several threads and yet can never provide it due to mysterious time constraints. Championing derek smart blog posts and posting in circles, wasting countless hours waging some weird personal crusade against chris roberts.

So yeah I have no doubt there are some crazy fanboys behind Star Citizen, some of the backers are scary and waste far too much money on this shit. But remember there are also some absolute nutjobs like derek smart and kxmode who don't care about integrity and just want to see it fail.

101. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 09:22 gilly775

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 21:35:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 15:16:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 14:24:
So.. excuse my question, but if you haven't backed then wtf do you care?

A fair question worth answering.

And a fair answer it is.. however you come across as someone who hopes this will fail and as I said before, if this game fails then crowd-funding and the space-genre itself will be over and done for, for at least a decade and I am not getting younger. I want a god damn proper immersive space game and the under-funded and under-polished stuff DS produces can't be called that, and ED did not deliver on it's lofty promises either it's just a boring space trucking sim. The options and time ranges (considering the dev times of 4+ years for a proper space game) are not getting smaller. I want to see a proper VR able space game in my lifetime. ~.~

My how we have forgotten Elite 2: Frontier. That really wasn't any different as a "space trucking sim." Except the difference was that back then, we didn't see something like that ever, so it was really cool. But it boils down to being the same thing.

The other difference, though, is that ED isn't complete and they are adding on to it. So, we may see more things than just being a "space trucking sim."

100. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 08:48 nin

I'm starting to understand who is the real recipients of Chris and Ortwin's letters are. It's not The Escaptist. It's totally obvious because Ortwin knows he's doesn't have a legal case worth shit. No. These letters are designed specifically for the Backers. Read people's comments. A random one...

"This was long coming and I bow to Chris for such a epic reply. We have been waiting for an official answer for some time and the answer was just out of this world... So im off to get an Endeavor"

Crazy

Wow, that's some serious fucking brain damage there. Those guys aren't just drinking the kool-aid, they're butt-chugging it, hoping for the next buzz.

99. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 07:43 Bub

After playing immersive deep PC games of various genres over the last 20 years, I have come to realize the PC games and especially online PC games are sorely lacking in terms of consumer protection.

These are products we pay handsome sums for, through subscriptions and micro-transactions, yet there are scant consumer protection provide by the law. Software houses are free to change terms at any time with the trend to be the reduction of consumer rights and adding more armor to the producers.

What I fear is that more and more of the world corporate overlords will start adopting this approach that has been so fine tuned by online game houses.

So when someone yells "Fire" in the tinder box situation, I don't really care what their personal and business history is, and I run out the exit, while software house fanboys still sit, competing with each other to heap the most abuse on the character of the person who yelled "fire".

CR and his flagrant con game simply puts this situation to a head.
I hope that given the almost inevitable outcome of failure, this issue could help in the long run into motivation better regulation of crowd funding, games with micro-transactions and/or subscriptions.

==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

98. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 07:41 Megalodon

97. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Oct 7, 2015, 05:05 Tulwinn

jdreyer wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 15:04:
NasWulf wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 12:06:

been coming to blues since '96 , just don't post. Reading all this drama, I just couldn't resist, because most of you can google lawyer purtty good, while other can't.

I'll just leave this little nin remark right here.
lol, Im probably the poster boy for lurker and have been here around that long but even I found something to post about in that time.

96. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 04:45 jdreyer

@ KXMode

Yeah, like sports team fanboys, these guys tie their identities to this project and are unable to separate themselves from the project. Thus any attack on the project is viewed as an attack on them. It's unbelievable that they find solace in Robert's rebuttal whereas I see only excuses and deflections. More choice quotes:

me too! After reading this, I wanted to give CIG more $$$!

I've only brought a Freelancer to date (as I want to earn the other ships in game) however if CIG want to start another fund to pay for lawyers to fight this arsehole then I've got $1000 that I'll happily put towards it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who bought a package for a friend after reading this. CR is awesome.

I own a Freelancer, but after reading this thread, I am in for a Constellation or Caterpillar! PC gamers unite! Long live Chris Roberts!

Yup. I'm so mad about this I just got the Endeavor FULL package. I wasn't planning on getting anymore ships. Thanks Derek!

Wow. Just, wow.

"I survived the 2020 removedpocalypse."

95. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 04:01 Kxmode

Crazy

114 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >