Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit

An update to the Chairman's Response to The Escapist on the Roberts Space Industries website has the latest on Cloud Imperium Games' reaction to the recent Escapist article alleging troubles at the developer of Star Citizen, the upcoming crowd-funded space game. The post has been modified to demand a retraction of the assertions in the article, threatening legal action if this doesn't happen by the end of today. They say the site has "violated the most basic rules and ethics in journalism by failing to properly vet [their] sources and providing the affected party with an opportunity to refute these ridiculous, highly slanderous, and easily disproven allegations," and also state this was not a legitimate piece of journalism, but rather a conspiracy between the author and "third parties" (who go unnamed, though we have a guess). They reproduce a lengthy letter they sent to the Escapist, and here is how this concludes:
If we have not received within a reasonable time your written confirmation (email being sufficient) that you agree to cooperate and comply with the above demands we will firstly publish this letter to our website. Based on the generous standards set by you, we believe that 24 hours should be sufficient to hear from you. Furthermore, if we have not received the aforementioned confirmation from you or your magazine and/or parent company by EOD Monday, we will turn this matter over to our litigators to prepare legal action in the US and the UK against the individuals and entities involved as listed herein.
View
237 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

237. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 11, 2015, 14:26 RedEye9

On this reddit thread there is some mention of a "free" flight week with access to all the available ships. Plus a collection of culticon videos.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

236. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 11, 2015, 07:54 Mr. Tact

Dacron wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 21:43:
Only 2 people think Derek Smart has brought up valid concerns about Star Citizen ?? O_o
In the absence of significant evidence in either direction it is difficult to know which of the foam mouthed sides is correct. Only time will tell...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

235. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 10, 2015, 21:43 Dacron

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 21:15:
Dacron wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 18:21:
Is there any vetting for usernames there though? Could I use the name "Chris Roberts" (or another known developer) if it was available, and make comments?

Serious question, no clue about his blog. Interesting comments if they did come from Mike, but I can't see a way of looking at users details on his site.

So now someones posted using a name of somebody in the industry agreeing with Derek Smart. That now makes 2 people that agree with DS if you count kxmode.

Only 2 people think Derek Smart has brought up valid concerns about Star Citizen ?? O_o

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2015, 22:11.

Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

234. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 10, 2015, 21:15 RedEye9

Dacron wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 18:21:
Is there any vetting for usernames there though? Could I use the name "Chris Roberts" (or another known developer) if it was available, and make comments?

Serious question, no clue about his blog. Interesting comments if they did come from Mike, but I can't see a way of looking at users details on his site.

So now someones posted using a name of somebody in the industry agreeing with Derek Smart. That now makes 2 people that agree with DS if you count kxmode.

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

233. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 10, 2015, 18:21 Dacron

232. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 10, 2015, 17:48 Kxmode

Very interesting statement from a veteran video game industry professional.

Wow. I’ve been making AAA games for more than two decades. It’s painfully obvious to everyone who’s in the business that it’s an absolute trainwreck. And I am an Admiral’s package backer plus an additional ship.

That money is lost.

If you believe that magically you will see this game released you are honestly fooling yourself.

Derek is doing a public service pointing out that the Emperor has no clothes.

Posted by Mike Wikan, known for his work in the Metroid Prime series at Retro Studios as well the Lead Game Designer at id Software. I posted his comment here because I thought it was newsworthy.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2015, 17:54.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

231. Re: Twitch live stream CitizenCon Oct 10, 2015, 17:41 Kosumo

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 17:13:
If anyone cares
http://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

Hey, Chris, where's the gameplay?

Some really nice videogamemovie tech demos, but what about the GAMEPLAY?

(the little they showed, the bit with the guys going to the space station was very dull)

230. Twitch live stream CitizenCon Oct 10, 2015, 17:13 RedEye9

If anyone cares
http://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

229. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 10, 2015, 16:10 {PH}88fingers

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 14:46:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 23:35:
Here's what happens when I tried to open a reasonable dialog with White Knight backers about the course of the project. It had received more than a few responses before the extremely aggressive moderators deleted it, and before it had a chance to see any kind of lengthy discussion. How can anyone have a reasonable discussion with these people if they engage in censorship and name-calling? The top comment told me to go "Fuck Derek Smart in his goat-ass".

You might not want to troll the reddit kitchen with Derek Smart drek
If you can't take the heat. Did you come here looking for sympathy or did you just want to warn us that trolled reddit posters might lash out with mean words. kik

exactly, goes around trolling and then cries about the outcome? lol?

228. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 10, 2015, 14:46 RedEye9

Here's what happens when I tried to open a reasonable dialog with White Knight backers about the course of the project. It had received more than a few responses before the extremely aggressive moderators deleted it, and before it had a chance to see any kind of lengthy discussion. How can anyone have a reasonable discussion with these people if they engage in censorship and name-calling? The top comment told me to go "Fuck Derek Smart in his goat-ass".

You might not want to troll the reddit kitchen with Derek Smart drek
If you can't take the heat. Did you come here looking for sympathy or did you just want to warn us that trolled reddit posters might lash out with mean words. kik

227. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 10, 2015, 14:34 RedEye9

nin wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 08:41:
How can anyone have a reasonable discussion with these people if they engage in censorship and name-calling?

Why bother trying to reason with people that are emotionally unhinged?

I mean, if they were really knowledgeable, they'd know drek is a jackass, not a goatass.

lolz

226. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 10, 2015, 11:56 {PH}88fingers

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 06:46:
The reason you were criticised is because your post was ridiculous and shows complete contempt for everything that Star Citizen represents.

1) You called for Chris Roberts, Sandra Roberts and Ortwin Freyemuth to be fired immediately despite them being the main people responsible for the game. Backers supported the project because of Chris Roberts.
2) You called for them to be stripped of shares in the company, which is clearly motivated by a personal agenda.
3) You mention the FTC even though a request has shown that no action is currently pending.
4) You suggest they change netcode, despite them already having implemented their own netcode.
5) You call for core components of the game to be removed (Arena Commander, Star Marine, the PU, etc).
6) You call for the game to be ported to console.

In other words you want to take a game marketed as a PC title made by Chris Roberts and make it a console game without Chris Roberts. You complain about the game not being what was promised and yet want to do exactly that to it but on your terms. Your suggestions are utterly unreasonable.

I question why you even backed the game given your contempt for everything it represents. You're just parroting Derek Smart's deranged rantings.

LOL
this is too funny, that this garbage is being brought up as "interesting worth discussing" and then goes and cries that he isn't taken seriously.
too funny

225. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 10, 2015, 06:18 Luke

Dacron wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 05:36:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 04:44:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 04:25:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 10:52:
By sharing his demands you're endorsing them.

Go to the Reddit thread: "I thought this was an interesting take from DS on what he would do at CIG if in charge."
The fact you said his demands were 'interesting' rather than 'retarded' implies support and demonstrates your irrational hatred of the project.

Finding something interesting does not lend your support to it. Are you so bent on insulting Derek Smart (And Kx) you'll make up random crap to support that thought?

I mean, I've always thought the history involving the Crusades was interesting... didn't know that means I supported their genocide and am retarded for not denouncing it unilaterally. Here I thought history was neat.

There are a handful of rabid anti-DS's on the forums that drop immature, derogatory insults towards him (and not even directed at him but any mention of him.) every chance they get. But to have someone claim anybody who even reads or discusses his points has an irrational hatred towards SC... well if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.

*edit* no = not

Are you so bent on insulting Derek Smart (And Kx) you'll make up random crap to support that thought?

Thats there goal , also to pump this threads up in numbers

224. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 10, 2015, 05:36 Dacron

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 04:44:

Go to the Reddit thread: "I thought this was an interesting take from DS on what he would do at CIG if in charge."
The fact you said his demands were 'interesting' rather than 'retarded' implies support and demonstrates your irrational hatred of the project.

Finding something interesting does not lend your support to it. Are you so bent on insulting Derek Smart (And Kx) you'll make up random crap to support that thought?

I mean, I've always thought the history involving the Crusades was interesting... didn't know that means I supported their genocide and am retarded for not denouncing it unilaterally. Here I thought history was neat.

There are a handful of rabid anti-DS's on the forums that drop immature, derogatory insults towards him (and not even directed at him but any mention of him.) every chance they get. But to have someone claim anybody who even reads or discusses his points has an irrational hatred towards SC... well if that isn't the Pot calling the kettle black.

*edit* no = not

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2015, 14:45.

223. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 10, 2015, 04:44 theyarecomingforyou

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

222. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 10, 2015, 04:25 Kxmode

Go to the Reddit thread: "I thought this was an interesting take from DS on what he would do at CIG if in charge." That's precisely what I wrote. That is NOT an endorsement in any way, shape, or form. So for the last time stop with the prejudging and generalizing.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

221. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 9, 2015, 10:52 theyarecomingforyou

Kxmode wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 10:09:
You can just stop right there!

God damned, what the hell is wrong with you? Stop applying that to me as I am NOT the author of those words. They belong to Derek Smart.
Which only supports what I've said numerous times, which is that you're just parroting Derek Smart. By sharing his demands you're endorsing them.

If you think that Derek Smart is rational in his demands then there is no hope for you. Really I pity you. Your hatred of the game is extreme. Find something better to do with your life.

8700K @ 4.9GHz / Kraken X62 / 32GB DDR4
GTX 1080 Ti OC / Optane 900P

220. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 9, 2015, 10:12 Kxmode

Zandog wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 08:45:
How can we see the thread if it's been deleted my a moderator? Oh, it hasn't been deleted. I think you just got down voted into the basement by white knights. Also, don't bother going to the SC subreddit. People use /u/ sniffers regardless of how many new accounts you make and will just find out it's you. Same reason Derek can't hide on that subreddit.

Mods can't actually delete the post. All they can do is decouple it from their Subreddit.

219. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 9, 2015, 10:09 Kxmode

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 06:46:
I question why you even backed the game given your contempt for everything it represents. You're just parroting Derek Smart's deranged rantings.

You can just stop right there!

God damned, what the hell is wrong with you? Stop applying that to me as I am NOT the author of those words. They belong to Derek Smart. I simply posted them on r/StarCitizen because I thought the Star Citizen community would find it interesting considering some have asked Derek back in July if Chris ever asked him for advice or suggestions. Obviously I was wrong.

I have nothing but contempt for you and the army of mindless lunatics you belong too.

218. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 9, 2015, 08:45 Zandog

How can we see the thread if it's been deleted my a moderator? Oh, it hasn't been deleted. I think you just got down voted into the basement by white knights. Also, don't bother going to the SC subreddit. People use /u/ sniffers regardless of how many new accounts you make and will just find out it's you. Same reason Derek can't hide on that subreddit.

237 Replies. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >