Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2015, 10:45 Megalodon

Razumen wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 19:52:
Murder She Wrote wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 18:47:
It's a reasonable price given the hardware, ignore the cheapskates and trolls.

It's too much for a package that won't even include the motion controllers like Valve's will, something that's really necessary for the best experience. A bloody 360 controller just doesn't cut it and people are going to be let down by their initial impressions.

Ok lets make it $500 and include the motion controller then, sounds good to me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2015, 10:10 InBlack

Verno wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 13:33:
I would rather they shoot for an impressive debut in terms of the tech than half ass it and give the naysayers ammo. $350 is not a big deal for a first iteration like this.

Agreed. I'll be willing to pay 400$ if they get it right. Im hoping they get it up to 1080p for each eye. DCS already works great with the RIFT DK2 (at least Im told it does) but the poor resolution prevents it from being very useful in the cockpit. With that said a lot of people who tried it are finding it hard to go back to monitors.

I have a nifty blue line!

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2015, 01:07 Fantaz

hmm, $350 US is almost $500 Canadian. need to start saving up my money for one.  

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2015, 00:05 1badmf

Tom wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 20:30:
If you can't afford a Rift/Vive and the PC to drive it, there's always Google Cardboard.

also samsung's dealie is gonna be around $99 i think i read, but i'm pretty sure (totally guessing) you'd need your own compatible smartphone to insert as the screen. luckily, i have an Edge, so no biggie for me =D

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 23:23 jdreyer

Think of it this way: $350 is what you'd pay Star Citizen for a low end Endeavor class starship, except you get an actual finished product.  

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 20:30 Tom

If you can't afford a Rift/Vive and the PC to drive it, there's always Google Cardboard.  

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 19:52 Razumen

Murder She Wrote wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 18:47:

It's too much for a package that won't even include the motion controllers like Valve's will, something that's really necessary for the best experience. A bloody 360 controller just doesn't cut it and people are going to be let down by their initial impressions.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 18:47 Megalodon

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 18:40 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 14:52:
You can buy an entire PC for that here.

Not a great gaming one, but I don't need a PC, I do need good VR. We'll see if it is good. But this can easily sell in that realm, it will come down generation to generation.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 18:26 Julio

$350 is cheap for the rift, though I have no interest in a Facebook owned device. Maybe they're subsidizing it through advertising.

As for Windows 10, it's still looking like most consumers are too intelligent to fall for the free upgrade to spyware. Get rid of the CEO before it's too late.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 18:11 jacobvandy

For those of you knee-jerking at the title rather than RTFA, they know it's expensive, and that's a decision they're making to try to be the best VR headset. However, they're not the only VR headset being developed. There will be other cheaper options, meaning they could decide to charge $1000 for the Rift and that doesn't necessarily spell the death of the technology...  

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 18:05 DangerDog

At that price they're going to need some very compelling content for it, Minecraft most definitely isn't it.

I've also read that the plans are in the works to fill the Rift with ads, then there's the whole Facebook trojan horse aspect.

Not looking too good for Rift.

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 17:54 PHJF

You are probably going to want to replace your Rift immediately every time a newer, lighter, more comfy model with massive boosts in image quality, clarity, sharpness, resolution etc. comes out.

They've already gone through this with the DKs, and Rift capability is limited more so by the games and systems behind it.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 17:43 jdreyer

Lorcin wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 16:06:
How about they cut the price by $50 by taking out the Xbone controller??

Yeah, this is the worst part of the deal. WTF, Oculus?

The land in Minecraft is flat, Minecraft simulates the Earth, ergo the Earth is flat.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 17:41 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 13:33:
I would rather they shoot for an impressive debut in terms of the tech than half ass it and give the naysayers ammo. $350 is not a big deal for a first iteration like this.

Agree. Sounds like they're really going for a premium experience to ensure good reviews and word of mouth. Given it's brand new tech, it's reasonable. It's pretty easy to pay more for a monitor with less resolution than a 'Rift.

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 17:32 Squirmer

Even Oculus is saying now they don't expect VR to take off immediately. They're suggesting it will take time to build a consumer base. That makes it a pretty risky business. They need to have content creators to make games (or whatever) for the tech, but those creators need to be able to make money from a smallish initial base to keep producing. That's why Oculus has been courting a lot of indie developers who don't need huge budgets.

Recently Jesse Schell suggested that all the VR platforms are different from each other, so you can't simply port games across; you have to design for each specifically. If true, the market and the developers will be split across Oculus, Vive, PSVR, Gear, making it even harder to make money.

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 16:43 CJ_Parker

PHJF wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 12:16:
I'm hoping a Rift can become my defacto gaming screen, assuming it takes off. And it if works, it's a peripheral, not something you need to upgrade every odd year.

I'd say the opposite is more likely. The whole tech is still in its infancy. You are probably going to want to replace your Rift immediately every time a newer, lighter, more comfy model with massive boosts in image quality, clarity, sharpness, resolution etc. comes out. There is a pretty good chance there will be night&day differences between the early gens of this tech.

So unless it becomes a total commercial failure, it's bound to make significant strides in advancement, especially if video cards also resume their usual update cycles (it is quite unlikely we'll ever be stuck on a process as long again as we were with 28nm).

I would not count on buying a Rift and hoping to be happy with it for years to come.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 16:06 Lorcin

How about they cut the price by $50 by taking out the Xbone controller??  

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 15:35 Razumen

Cutter wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 14:52:
He said more than $350, so $400 at least if not $450 or $500. Yeah, that's not going to happen for most people in that case. You can but a hell of a lot more tech for that kind of dough than a toy like that. At $350US that's $530 CDN atm. No fucking way anyone except the most die-hard VR fanboy would even consider one of those things at that price. You can buy an entire PC for that here. You can buy a PS4 for $400. Yeah, sorry Lucky you're going to have to do a metric shit ton better than that if you ever want to see any sort of real VR adoption.

Closer to $460CAD really, but your point still stands. As much as I like VR, that is a really high price point for most people.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 14:52 Cutter

He said more than $350, so $400 at least if not $450 or $500. Yeah, that's not going to happen for most people in that case. You can but a hell of a lot more tech for that kind of dough than a toy like that. At $350US that's $530 CDN atm. No fucking way anyone except the most die-hard VR fanboy would even consider one of those things at that price. You can buy an entire PC for that here. You can buy a PS4 for $400. Yeah, sorry Lucky you're going to have to do a metric shit ton better than that if you ever want to see any sort of real VR adoption.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >