(Originally posted in article comments. Re-iterating here with a few changes.)
It's heartbreaking to see people still trying to deny the obvious: Star Citizen is not happening. It's not about this article - I don't need anonymous sources or angry rival devs or horror stories about crazy management to tell me what I already know just from looking at the product itself.
Hear me out. I've been making games for 20 years now, starting with Alien Breed 3D on the Amiga, and one rule of thumb I've learned is that when all the important bits of a game are in and working together in a playable form you are, at most, 20% of the way through development of a worthwhile game. You can release before the other 80% is done, to be sure - been there, done that, and with a single-player space opera, no less - but you will not get the game you set out to make.
Games do not just 'suddenly click'. That's not how it works. You don't have nothing much to see, nothing much to see, nothing much to see POW! Big reveal. Ever. Development dependencies make that impossible.
Look at The Last Guardian. Look at how complete the core of the game seemed in the early trailers. And do we have it yet?
Look at STALKER. Massive open-world ambition, huge hype, ultimately rushed out as a tragic, buggy shell of what it promised because spending the extra decade it would have taken to realise its potential wasn't an option. It broke the 20/80 rule, hard. It was released, I'd say, 30% complete.
Now think about the really towering achievements in large-scale game development. Assassin's Creed. GTA. Dragon Age. The Witcher. Imagine Star Citizen were one of those titles. Looking at what there is to play of it, right now, how far through the development of those games would you say it is? If you saw Assassin's Creed, with just a room to walk around in, no missions, no story, no world, and no working parkour, would you say it was 90% done? 50%? 10%?