Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming

NVIDIA announces their GRID cloud gaming service is now known as GeForce NOW, claiming this is the first to offer 1080p, 60 FPS gaming over the internet. Word is: "GeForce NOW is your game library in the sky. See all the titles we offer from a game series at a glance — like the LEGO collection or the Batman Arkham series — for binge gaming. Use voice search to find your favorite games. Search through games by category. Or quickly browse the latest and most popular games." Here's more:
Next-Gen Quality

GeForce NOW is the first cloud-gaming service to stream at full high-definition 1080p quality and at 60 frames per second. Membership costs just $7.99 a month with the first three months free. GeForce NOW arrives on Oct. 1 in North America, the European Union and Japan with more than 50 popular games included. And it offers members the option to buy and play many more in an instant.

Get the Latest GeForce Gaming Technology with a Single Click

GeForce NOW is all about instant gratification. But it took us a decade to invent the technology behind the service that streams GeForce GTX-quality graphics to SHIELD devices.

GeForce NOW is a service designed, built and operated all by NVIDIA. We’ve optimized every piece of the technology behind GeForce NOW for gaming. That includes the low-latency game controller we built for SHIELD. The Tegra processors we built for our SHIELD devices. The advanced game engine we built into our GeForce GTX-powered servers.

So you’ll enjoy games at their best. You’ll enjoy GameWorks enhancements for special effects. And your experience will get better every year as we build more powerful GPUs and gaming technologies into GeForce NOW.

Think of GeForce NOW as your gaming supercomputer in the cloud. Next-gen gaming is now easy and instant.
View

33. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 1, 2015, 20:03 Megalodon

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 18:47:
I think it's interesting that, when discussing AMD/ATi, the products most focused on are graphics cards. I agree with Murder She Wrote's statement of "Every arch can't be a winner and both companies have made notable stinkers in the past." The FX5800 and its noise level come to mind from Nvidia.

However, what I mostly focus on is CPUs and AMD hasn't released a decent CPU that is competitive in power consumption, performance, and heat generation with Intel in a very, very long time. The closest thing that comes to mind is the Athlon XP (Palomino) way back in 2000. Yes, AMD is less expensive than Intel's offerings but, then, they have to be as that is the only area that they can be competitive with Intel in.

My own anecdotal experience with AMD is not a very particularly positive one. I had an Athlon XP (Thunderbird) with an Asus A7V board. The CPU dropped dead within 11 months. The next AMD procs I had were the Athlon MPs in a cluster of servers that were running off of Tyan Tiger S2460 motherboards. Every second core dropped dead within 3 months of deployment, all within about the span of two weeks. After working with Tyan and AMD, it was discovered that the problem was not with the Tyan motherboards, but a voltage regulation problem with the SMP of the Athlon MPs. The AMD engineer promised it would be fixed with a microcode update but I had a business to run. Swapped them out for Xeons and different motherboards and never had another problem.

Just for grins, I went to CPUBoss and pitted the Xeon E3-1275v2 that I have in my current gaming machine against an Opteron of the same vintage with double the cores. The E3 won rather handily. You can see it here. Before any AMD fanboy whines that it's just single core performance comparison with no multicore sampling, I'd point out that in every day use, most of what you run is single threaded.

Is my Xeon a bit of an overkill for home use? For most people, probably so, but then most people don't have 6 to 8 VMs running in the backround while playing Dying Light, either.

I don't think anyone will dispute their CPUs being trash for a long time now. Hot and power hungry, terrible IPC and their lack of a real certification program in lieu of AMD guideline boards means their partners have been phoning in QA for a long time. That's a big part of why their motherboards have been so dubious in my opinion. Their R&D got gutted and they're losing money like crazy, I'm not sure where they have left to go. Intel is killing them in laptops which was almost a strong market once upon a time. They don't have a viable mobile SoC. Their video cards this gen barely kept parity with Nvidia who has a lot more R&D muscle. I'm glad I'm not an AMD shareholder, they're in a tough spot.

Hopefully they get bought out by a bigger player who can bankroll them. I think there was a Samsung rumor awhile ago.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Sep 30, 17:35 Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming jacobvandy
  2. Sep 30, 18:23 Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming WaltC
  3. Sep 30, 18:49  Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming SirKnight
  5. Sep 30, 22:15  Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming theglaze
  6. Sep 30, 22:26  Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Burrito of Peace
  8. Sep 30, 22:45   Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Cutter
  10. Sep 30, 22:52    Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Burrito of Peace
  11. Sep 30, 23:33  Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Megalodon
  12. Oct 1, 00:19   Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming PHJF
  13. Oct 1, 00:40   Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Rigs
  16. Oct 1, 04:46    Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Orogogus
  17. Oct 1, 08:07    Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Megalodon
  19. Oct 1, 09:15     Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Rigs
  22. Oct 1, 10:40      Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Megalodon
  23. Oct 1, 13:42       Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming swaaye
  24. Oct 1, 14:24       Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Rigs
  27. Oct 1, 15:53        Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Megalodon
  31. Oct 1, 19:25         Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Rigs
  38. Oct 2, 09:48        Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Verno
  39. Oct 2, 13:27         Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Rigs
  40. Oct 2, 15:15          Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Verno
  41. Oct 3, 23:33          Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Burrito of Peace
  42. Oct 5, 11:03           Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Rigs
  43. Oct 5, 15:03            Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Burrito of Peace
  4. Sep 30, 21:34 Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming jdreyer
  7. Sep 30, 22:34 Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming loomy
  9. Sep 30, 22:46 Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Creston
  15. Oct 1, 04:11  Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming InBlack
  14. Oct 1, 04:01 Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Kxmode
  18. Oct 1, 08:10 Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming harlock
  20. Oct 1, 09:32 Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Desalus
  26. Oct 1, 15:21  Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming jdreyer
  21. Oct 1, 10:30 Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Timmeh
  29. Oct 1, 17:01  Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming nin
  30. Oct 1, 18:47   Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Burrito of Peace
>> 33. Oct 1, 20:03    Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Megalodon